• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Squares 2.0

Twentington

Outta here!
Alright, Match Game Hollywood Squares went flat due to other circumstances, Match Game itself only got two signups, I figure I might as well try this again.

Here now are the original rules; changes are in italics.

The object for the players is to get three stars in a row, either across, up-and-down or diagonally; it is up to them to figure out if a star is giving a correct answer or making one up; that's how they get the squares.

In other words, it's Tic-Tac-Toe with a twist.

If you still don't get it, here's a longer explanation:

2 players compete in a game involving celebrity knowledge. 9 celebrities (will elaborate later) sit in their own boxes on a Tic-Tac-Toe board. The contestant representing O will pick one of the stars to start the first game; the celebrity is then asked a question regarding anything. Usually, the celebrity will then give a joke answer before proceeding to give their actual answer. After that, the contestant must figure out whether the celebrity gave a right or wrong answer. If the contestant agrees correctly, they get the square; otherwise, their opponent gets the square. This is repeated, alternating between the two players until either player gets Tic-Tac-Toe or they accumulate 5 squares on the board. The important thing to note is that YOU CANNOT WIN BY DEFAULT, e.g. say X is trying to block O from Tic-Tac-Toe and gets the answer wrong; O does not automatically get the square, they must earn it themselves for the win.

The cash value of rounds increases as the game goes on, and regardless of who wins a round, both players earn money for each square captured. Round 1 is worth $1,000 PLUS $250 for each square won. Round 2 is worth $2,000 plus $250 for each square won, and the Secret Square is in play. Round 3 is also worth $2,000, but squares increase to $500. Round 4 and on are played for $4,000 and $1,000 a square.

The champion will pick first in round 1. After that, the trailing player starts each round, unless the score is tied, in which case the last round's losing player starts the next round.

The player with the most money when time is called wins and moves on to the bonus game. The losing player keeps their money and any prizes won.

THE SECRET SQUARE

In round 2, the secret square comes into play. At the start of every Secret Square round, a prize is added to an accumulating jackpot of prizes, and a star is designated as the Secret Square. If either player chooses that star, should they get the prediction correct, they win the jackpot (which does not count towards the score) and the jackpot is reset for the next episode; should the prediction be incorrect, the jackpot is carried over to the next episode.

PICK A STAR, WIN A PRIZE:

At this point, each star is given an envelope. Each envelope contains various amounts of cash and prizes (ranging from about $5,000 to the top prize of $100,000). The winner chooses a star, whose envelope is revealed. The star and the winner then play one Secret Square question; the winner MUST guess correctly to win the prize.

Contestants remain for up to 5 days, regardless of whether or not they win the $100,000.

The guidelines for signing up:

1: Please specify whether you would like to be a contestant or a celebrity.

2: If you sign up as a celebrity, please specify who you would like to be; you can choose any celebrity or character from anything you choose (or even just play yourself), provided you can keep jokes and banter appropriate. Other than that, I really don't care, but again, please don't go overboard.

3: If you sign up as a celebrity, please also specify where you would like to sit on the Tic-Tac-Toe board; one celebrity per box, please.

And as is the norm in my other games, I have a waiting list ready to go if necessary.

Alright, 2 contestants, nine stars, that's all we need to get going! Anyone?

RzK

Meow
All right, I'm on.

Twentington

Outta here!
Yeah, he signed up earlier by VM, pretty much.

10 more people to go, if we can get that many.

Keldminrachi91

Just call me Cooki
This sounds fun.....Count me in!

1) Celebrity

2) Bridgit Mendler, if possible

3) The middle, or if it's taken, the top right corner.

Twentington

Outta here!
1|2|3
4|5|6
7|8|9

5. Bridgit Mendler
7. Snoop Lion

X: ReshiZekyurem

ALL OTHER SPOTS: OPEN

Just an FYI: I will be on vacation the next few days, so the earliest we'll be able to start if we get enough people is Wednesday.

BlazikenBlitz

Blaziken Ninja
I think this would be a good place to make my return. ^_^ I'll be Phoenix Wright in Square 1.

Note: This time, i'm making sure to be in only one game at a time, so that i'm not behind like I was before my little hiatus.

Last edited:

Twentington

Outta here!
1|2|3
4|5|6
7|8|9

1. Phoenix Wright
5. Bridgit Mendler
7. Snoop Lion

Quick update, because I have to go update everything else now.

Twentington

Outta here!
1|2|3
4|5|6
7|8|9

1. Phoenix Wright
3. Charlie Sheen
5. Bridgit Mendler
7. Snoop Lion

I may be able to get some graphics by next Saturday, with any luck. Keep the signups coming!

Twentington

Outta here!
...I jinxed it, didn't I.

*facepalms*

OK, back-up plan. At the very least, I need someone to take Circle. If someone wants to take Circle, I'll put AI celebrities in the other squares for now, but I'll still let people fill those spots. I'd like to get started soon.

BlazikenBlitz

Blaziken Ninja
Because of the lack of signups and the fact that it's possible, I would like it if i could be Flame Dragoon in the lower right corner, please...

Twentington

Outta here!
Done.

BEHOLD!

new70sboard4_zpsf40f1df2.png

hollywoodsquarespodia_zpse096f46f.png

Actual graphics! They're a bit rough around the edges, but they'll improve with time.

Personal thanks to Tony Lane for allowing the use of these.

And yes, I'm letting users take two squares now. If I don't, we're not going to get anywhere with this.

Still need more people to get in on the action!