• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Yuletide: Fan Fics Hub (Info and Discussion)

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
I've been a little bogged down with finals stuff, but I will finish the story before the deadline. It was kind of the same situation last year, and I'll get it done. I've just been very busy lately.

I'm in the same boat. I'll be finished with finals on Thursday, but I have got some of mine done and should be about halfway through and I swear on my fic that I WILL get this assignment done. I just need to get through the rest of the semester (and the joy of organic chemistry) and I guarantee that I'll have it in.

I'm sorry to say I'm going to have to throw in the towel--didn't want to do it thinking I was going to make it work, but things happened, and it hasn't been going too well on my end. Stressed out enough as it is.
I'm so sorry to hear that =( I understand though; life gets in the way too often. Best of luck with all that you have! Don't be stressed :) We're here for you!

AmericanPi

Write on
I'm done with my original assignment, but my pinch-hit one has complications - it's ending up about twice as long as expected. However, I'm pretty confident that I'll get it done by the 15th. I might even have the time to write yet another pinch-hit assignment (unless Kutie Pie was assigned my prompt...). We'll have to see though. I just really hope that everyone will receive a fic on time, because I can imagine how sad it would be if everyone got a fic and you didn't...

Great timing for this check in because between this one and the last, I went through quite a few redos of the fic's outline, starting and deleting first paragraphs often. But it was today where I finally found the structure that works for me, so I'm trudging through with the fic and I feel I'll be able to submit it next week at the earliest. :)

GingerDixie

Hopes and Dreams
Hello there! I am slowly but surely chipping away at my prompts as well. Now that finals are over for me I'm going to buckle down and push through it for both of my assignments, the regular and the pinch-hit. Good luck to everyone else. And my condolences, KP. I hope things straighten out for you as well!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I'm sorry to say I'm going to have to throw in the towel--didn't want to do it thinking I was going to make it work, but things happened, and it hasn't been going too well on my end. Stressed out enough as it is.

Totally A-OK. Sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you, KP! Be sure to take some you-time soon. D: We'll get your prompt a pinch-hitter, no problem.

Thanks to everyone else who checked in so far, by the by!

Firebrand

Indomitable
Currently sitting at just over 4k words on mine. I had finished it... but I wasn't happy with the ending just yet so I put it aside for a while to give myself a little distance and think things through again. I started up on it again yesterday, should have it done ASAP. There's also a literary device that I'm currently using but I don't know if I want to keep it in, so I'm still going back and forth on that one. It's more cosmetic than anything else, so I should be able to turn that around pretty quickly too.

Normally 4k shouldn't take me this long, but alas, thesis stuff and finals stuff and general academia stuff.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Went through a few sticky phases where I was constantly rejigging and overhauling my draft, but finally think I'm onto a good thing. Have the entirety of this week to finish so ideally will be done by Friday - might be some overlap onto the week after but either way, will definitely make the final deadline.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
*Deep breath* I just wrote seven pages and two-and-a-half thousand words. All that's left to be done is proofreading and editing, so I should finish by tomorrow, and definitely by Thursday afternoon at the very latest! It's turning out a bit cheesier than I would like, so I may have to find a way to tone that down before I submit it. Good luck to you all!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Currently sitting at just over 4k words on mine. I had finished it... but I wasn't happy with the ending just yet so I put it aside for a while to give myself a little distance and think things through again.

Definitely a good plan there. Nothing like letting a story cool to give you some perspective on what you're doing. *nod* In any case, congrats on getting back on it! Good luck on finishing both it and the rest of your semester~! :D

Went through a few sticky phases where I was constantly rejigging and overhauling my draft, but finally think I'm onto a good thing. Have the entirety of this week to finish so ideally will be done by Friday - might be some overlap onto the week after but either way, will definitely make the final deadline.

*Deep breath* I just wrote seven pages and two-and-a-half thousand words. All that's left to be done is proofreading and editing, so I should finish by tomorrow, and definitely by Thursday afternoon at the very latest! It's turning out a bit cheesier than I would like, so I may have to find a way to tone that down before I submit it. Good luck to you all!

Aww yeah, pushing right on through! And to starlite, there is legit nothing wrong with cheesy Yuletide fics. ;D (Unless the author specified they don't like cheesy, at which point feel free to ignore this note. 8D)

Good job all around, guys, and thanks for checking in! Looking over our records, that means most of our fics will be accounted for this Christmas, which is pretty neat!

Otherwise, remember, folks! This is your very last day to back out of Yuletide consequence-free. Starting tomorrow, backing out will result in getting banned from the next Yuletide, so if it looks like you're struggling, now's a good time to talk to the organizers. Yuletide Madness also begins tomorrow, and all prompts from AWOL authors or otherwise authorless prompts will be put up in public, sans recipient. They're considered open prompts, meaning you don't need to have signed up for pinch-hitting in order to claim them. We'll go into a little more detail tomorrow, but long story short, if you haven't checked in at all this Yuletide, please check in now, or your prompt's going up for Yuletide Madness!

Psychic

Really and truly
I have honestly made very little progress since the last check-in. D: I do not have an excuse, but I should be able to get it together by the deadline.

~Psychic

AmericanPi

Write on
I'm not done with my pinch-hit prompt yet, but I'm 99% certain that I'll finish it today. Last night I made a huge amount of progress by finishing my draft of it, so today I'll type it up and it'll be good to go. In other words, please don't put up my prompt in Yuletide Madness, because I'm 99% certain that I'll finish it today.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Side note: I just realized that the deadline is listed as two different dates on the first post, but rest assured that it is, indeed, December 23 and not December 22. (December 22 is the last date you can drop out without being permanently banned from future Yuletides, so, uh, heads up there.)

In other words, please don't put up my prompt in Yuletide Madness, because I'm 99% certain that I'll finish it today.

Don't worry! Only prompts from AWOL authors end up in Yuletide Madness, and you're only considered AWOL if you don't check in.

Speaking of!

Yuletide Madness!

Welcome to Yuletide Madness, writers! What's Yuletide Madness? Glad you asked!

At the end of every Yuletide, we take a good look at the prompts that haven't been filled. If we haven't heard from authors in a long time, we try to reach out to them to see what's up, and if we still haven't heard from them, we mark them down as AWOL. Then, we take their prompts and put them up publicly for anyone to fill so everyone who signed up for the event is guaranteed a fic under the Yuletide Tree.

How it works is pretty simple. Below the spoiler cut, you'll find all the orphaned prompts for this year. If you see one you like, PM the event coordinators with the prompt you want. Don't post in the thread! That will give you away! D: If you're the first volunteer, you'll be given the name of your recipient and the OK to write. You'll have from the time you volunteer until the writing phase closes (December 23) to cook up a fic to slide under the tree. Prompts are on a first-come, first-served basis and will therefore be taken down upon being claimed, so if you see something you think you can tackle, snatch it up quick!

One last note. When we say anyone can write these prompts, we mean anyone. Not signed up as a pinch-hitter? Not even signed up for the event to begin with? No problem! You can still claim the following prompts. If you're just coming in as a writer, remember to read over the first post for rules on fic specifics and length, and please note that unless you've signed up for the event during the sign-ups phase, we won't be able to provide a fic for you under the Yuletide Tree. (Sorry!) If that's still cool with you, have at it and good luck!

This Year's Orphanage
Edit: Prompt has been claimed! If you're interested in writing something for Yuletide anyway, feel free to keep an eye on this post! Last-minute prompt drops may be added throughout this week.

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
Just want to say that I am making progress so I'm about 99.5% sure that I will be able to get my submission in before the deadline, probably sometime next week.

AmericanPi

Write on
I just sent in my completed pinch-hit prompt. :) Since I'm really interested in making this event work for everyone, from now until December 23 I'm willing to claim any prompts that need writers. My works will be on the short side, but I'll do my part to help make sure everyone gets a fic on Christmas. :)

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Aaand sent! Is it the 25th yet?
For real, though!

Just letting you know that mine has been sent in! I hope my recipient likes it--I've never tried writing a fic like this before!

xEryChan

Demon Child
Finally completed my assignment and I sent it in. Hope my recipient likes it.

Happy Holidays, everyone :D

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hey, folks! So far so good on the receiving end, and I'd like to belatedly thank all those of you who've sent your fics, including Dramatic Melody. :D

Quick announcement for everyone else, though. This has been a bit of a common issue, and we totally acknowledge that it's in part because the instructions were in the PM you received for your assignment, not on the thread. However, when submitting, please be sure to send it with the following form in the body of your email:

Username: (your username)
Fic Title:
Rating:
Warnings: (if any)
Summary: (a short summary of your fic—will be displayed during the author reveals)
For: (your recipient)

If you've already sent yours in and would like to send the above form, that'd be cool, but because of the way this instruction was sent in, we're just requiring you to email us a summary. (But yes, for the fics still out, please be sure to send in the above form filled out with your fic!)