1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serebii's 7th Annual Pokemon Exam Announcement Thread!

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Black Marauder, Jun 7, 2012.

1. ~~Hey SPPf folks, the Annual Pokemon Exam is here again!

-the preliminary round has ended! 66 users participated! Results are here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...-Pokemon-Exam-Preliminary-Results!&highlight=
    -Round 1 has ended! 29/30 users participated! Results are here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?576206-Serebii-s-7th-Annual-Pokemon-Exam-Round-1-Results
    -Round 2 has ended! 18/20 users participated! Results are here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?576839-Serebii-s-7th-Annual-Pokemon-Exam-Round-2-Results!

Factlets:
    •This is the 7th Annual Examination. Last year's exam ran very smoothly and was a general success. Welcome to 2012's version!

•Past winners are:
    --2005: Kveran & Poochyena
    --2006: Horn Drill
    --2007: sceptilianmaster
    --2008: Profesco, Lishus13, Tomato Jr.
    --2009: Ellie
    --2010/11: Niihyl
    •Threads of past examinations: 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010/11

•This examination will be an elimination-style event. Here's the timeline for the exam:
    --Second week of June: 60 candidates register for preliminary round
    --Third week of June: best 30 out of 60 prelim candidates move on to Round 1
    --Fourth week of June: best 20 out of 30 R1 candidates move on to Round 2
    --First week of July: best 10 out of 20 R2 candidates move on to Round 3
    --Second week of July: winner decided

*best refers to scores from questions offered in each round plus the cumulative score of each candidate. Overall rankings of all eliminated candidates will be posted after elimination in each Round.

•Each round's questions will be short and increase in difficulty as the weeks progress.
    •Only things from the main RPG games will be tested. All games including Pokemon Black and White will be tested (not B2/W2). You will be required to have knowledge of Pokemon Black and White to take part in this year's examination.
    •You will be asked mainly multiple choice, true/false and short-answer questions. Sometimes you will be asked to critically think about something and then answer in at most five sentences. Your answers CAN be over five sentences if you need to explain more.
    •You should be comfortable with using the English language because: every question will be asked in English, you will have articulate your answers in English and you will need to understand English to completely assess what a question is asking you to do.
    •There will not be any sections such as history, maths etc. You can, however, be asked questions of such types in any given round.
    •If there happens to be a tie between users, I will assess the quality of how each user answered questions before to determine the better users.
    •This is the first examination where you will ALWAYS be timed. You must try to complete all questions before the allotted time. If time runs up, then whatever you have answered already will be submitted. You will only be allowed to take an exam in any given week once.
    •Your performance in past weeks/rounds will ALWAYS be taken into consideration.
    •Your questions will NOT be graded automatically/immediately. I will personally grade your answers.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN YOUR USERNAME AND THE REASON WHY YOU ARE SIGNING UP FOR THE EXAM. Failure to follow this simple rule will simply cause your post to be ignored until you REPOST in the correct format.
    •After you have correctly posted in the thread, I will add you to the list of 60 users, and I will then send you (VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE!!!) instructions on how to complete the preliminary exam!. Your performance of this question will determine whether you move on to the final 30!
    •In the private message, I will tell you how to register your username and how to take the test.
    YOU MUST REGISTER FOR EACH ROUND USING YOUR USERNAME AND THE UNIQUE LINK I SEND YOU.
    •When the limit of 60 users is reach, sign-ups will be closed!

•You must enable Private Messages. Make sure that your Inbox is not full. I will need to send you one message for each round.
    •You will have deadlines for each round. Please try your best to meet these deadlines.
    •Please make sure that you will have a reliable and steady internet connection.
    This examination competition lasts five weeks, so make sure that you have some time in each of these weeks to answer questions in each round.
    Regarding time zones: my time zone is is GMT -4. I will notify the registered exam candidates about the start and end times of the various rounds.

That's all the information that I think you will need. This thread is here only to inform you that the sign-up period will be here soon. Post any questions/comments (about this or past exams) that you have in this thread. Do not SPAM this thread.

This will be fun if you make it fun! Good luck and thank you!

MODERATORS/ADMINS: Please do not merge this thread with any other ones. Merging makes it hard to me to track records and monitor the competition. Thank you ;392;

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. thatjeremykid

thatjeremykid .Memento.Mori.

aw man, i'm totally going to do this

3. Not_A_Cyberbully

Not_A_Cyberbully Claimed Gabite

I definitely want to try this! How many questions per round?

4. 725roy

725roy ambivolent

Note to self, try to get in this time!

5. SasoriSand

SasoriSand Master of Sand

Omg, this is going to be so good :3

I can just imagine the amount of people that are going to want to join..

Question : Are all these questions open note? (we can search for the answer)

6. BattleFanatic14

BattleFanatic14 Well-Known Member

Well, I've always hated being timed, but I suppose it's a necessity to keep people from looking stuff up. I can't wait!

7. Hudsonn98

Hudsonn98 Well-Known Member

This does seem very cool. I don't know whether or not I'll join, though...

8. Dragon Trainer X

Dragon Trainer X 良い感じ!

Dragon Trainer X! Raiser of the legends!

I'd like to participate in this because I want to not only see how much I know, but also to show that I am in fact a decent fan of the games. I'll do my best!

P.S. I might only have the weekends to get the exams done due to finals and regents, but I'll try to do it when I can.

9. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

I so want in on this.

10. Did it last year and I think the year before. I'm in

11. The number will vary.

I hope you get in too! Check on Saturday 9th June 2012 for the sign up thread. It will be early in the morning.

Yes, everything is "open note". You will be timed though.

Yep!

You should!

Would be awesome to have you again :)

12. Not_A_Cyberbully

Not_A_Cyberbully Claimed Gabite

Early Morning? That sucks. I'm 3 hours behind you. I won't be getting in then...

13. Phoopes

Phoopes There it is.

I think I'll sign up, because I doubt with all the people here who know so much more than me that I'll make it very far. But if I do make it deep into the "tournament," I'm leaving for vacation on July 3rd... bah, I don't think I'll make it that far.

14. God damnit I believe Marauder is in the same timezone as me and on Saturday morning I wake up at like noon. I might miss this :(

15. Don't worry about the timezone problem guys. I will find a way to let others in.

16. MegaSerperior

MegaSerperior <--- My life

This sounds pretty cool. This is the first time I've heard of it. I just might join...

17. Dragon Trainer X

Dragon Trainer X 良い感じ!

I know, I just wanted to practice, that's all.

18. Great, I want to join again, and this time,I'm gonna win! (last year I lost at the first round)

19. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome, what time zone are you in Black Marauder?

20. jireh the provider

jireh the provider Video Game Designer

Yo know what, I'm in! despite my new college time here in Philippines, I'll do the best I can to enter the examination. Pokemon was the reason why I am now studying 'BSIT with specialization in Animation and Game development'. I can at least try to do my best after seeing all the region through R/S/E , FR/LG, D/P/Pt , HG/SS, and B/W.
    I'm open at Thursdays and Sundays Pacific time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012