• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serena never finishing a battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Atleast Eevee had a personality, even if it wasn't likable. Sylveon was just bland.

XY had this issue a lot due to evolving the majority of main cast Pokemon in that series and most of them suffering the usual post-evolution blandness, being demoted to key scenes only and losing all their quirks and chemistries. By the end of XYZ, there was only a handful of Pokemon used in the interaction scenes and most of them besides Pikachu were comic relief like Chespin, Pancham and Dedenne who did the same shtick over and over.

Abiding by BW interviews, this was likely because all these evolved Pokemon were too complicated to animate frequently, especially with XY's very crisp art style. I'm rather surprised Sylveon was too much for them to handle though. Aside from its "streamers" it has a rather simplified design. It also kinda hurt Serena's team due to their more family-ish dynamic being their most fun appeal, yet after that only Pancham was seen much with the odd bit of Braixen.

This is likely why SM streamlined the artstyle afterwards so evolved Pokemon could stay onscreen more often.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don’t quite get when people say “battling wasn’t apart of her goal”. Battling is essential to almost everything Pokémon unless you simply keep them as pets. Serena battling would of lead to her Pokémon learning new moves so we wouldn’t have been constantly exposed to “fire fire, stone edge, fire fire and fairy wind”

DatsRight

I don’t quite get when people say “battling wasn’t apart of her goal”. Battling is essential to almost everything Pokémon unless you simply keep them as pets. Serena battling would of lead to her Pokémon learning new moves so we wouldn’t have been constantly exposed to “fire fire, stone edge, fire fire and fairy wind”

I'm tempted to not quite, since SM shown a lot of non-battle agendas and training approaches. Hell some of them were far more satisfying than when they are learned during battles, which often feel like deus ex machinas.

The main problem was that XY hadn't came to that conclusion yet and kept putting Serena in these dumbed down battles for her development moments, or even worse, interrupting them with predictable Team Rocket faceoffs. I'd get if it wasn't supposed to be Serena's 'thing' but if it wasn't then couldn't they have her develop through something that fit her better and she could see through in a fuller and more entertaining way?

It felt like Serena was meant to be a quiet introspective based character with a different goal, but they still felt like they had force her to follow the formula all the time at this point and look at least superficially badass.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:

Her goal involved prancing around on-stage doing anything to keep the audience's attention to win votes, so that's probably why some people think that battling wasn't the writers' priority with her. As for her Pokemon learning new moves, that could happen without on-screen battling as we've seen plenty of times before with other Pokemon.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Her goal involved prancing around on-stage doing anything to keep the audience's attention to win votes, so that's probably why some people think that battling wasn't the writers' priority with her. As for her Pokemon learning new moves, that could happen without on-screen battling as we've seen plenty of times before with other Pokemon.
I meant entertaining for us (the viewers externally) not the internal viewers. Of course there are exceptions to the rules but most of the time battling=new moves about 75 percent of the time. Plus new moves would mean new combinations which could lead to different types of performances. This would be easily achieved with training or battling. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Pancham learned no new moves, Sylveon learned one new move with Fairy Wind after winning it’s first battle and Braxien has only learned two new moves.

I'm tempted to not quite, since SM shown a lot of non-battle agendas and training approaches. Hell some of them were far more satisfying than when they are learned during battles, which often feel like deus ex machinas.

The main problem was that XY hadn't came to that conclusion yet and kept putting Serena in these dumbed down battles for her development moments, or even worse, interrupting them with predictable Team Rocket faceoffs. I'd get if it wasn't supposed to be Serena's 'thing' but if it wasn't then couldn't they have her develop through something that fit her better and she could see through in a fuller and more entertaining way?

It felt like Serena was meant to be a quiet introspective based character with a different goal, but they still felt like they had force her to follow the formula all the time at this point and look at least superficially badass.
Most of the SM’s cast Pokémon still learned new moves by battling, training off screen or training from another person. Like I said exceptions to the rules always exist but the main consistent thing is battling is typically a way for Pokémon to learn new moves and or evolution.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I don't blame her. Aside that her goal doesn't really require battles, XYZ is pretty Ash-centric among the series that even Clemont performance as a battler despite being a gym leader is subpar outside against Ash.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
I don't blame her. Aside that her goal doesn't really require battles, XYZ is pretty Ash-centric among the series that even Clemont performance as a battler despite being a gym leader is subpar outside against Ash.

I figure that Satoshi having so much screen-time in XY definitely hurt both Citron and Serena's allotted battle screen-time. Citron was just lucky that unlike Serena, his battles at least had conclusions.

SerenaRulez

But it would have been more exciting to see her Pokemon gain new attacks while battling instead of her Pokemon learning new attacks in between episodes.

DatsRight

Truth be told I'm never big on when Pokemon get moves or boosts through battles or intense situations, it always feels like plot armour rather than something they and their trainer worked for, especially in cases like Serena who don't even battle much anyway. It's just an instant win button with permanent side effects.

SM shown some entertaining ways for Pokemon to train for moves that fit with whatever the trainer was into at the time. It could have been interesting to see Serena try and master one of her team's moves through use of choreography or playing to their species nature, not just 'falling upwards' and getting plot armoured a power boost whenever she was in a dire circumstance.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
But it would have been more exciting to see her Pokemon gain new attacks while battling instead of her Pokemon learning new attacks in between episodes.

Fair enough, I suppose that I'm just letting my own bias against moves in the anime get to me. I usually dislike it when an episode is practically 99% filler, but then suddenly escapes the filler label just because a main character's Pokemon learns a new move towards the end of said episode. So the idea that Serena should've battled more often just so that her Pokemon would learn more moves on-screen sounded like another one of these scenarios to me.

DatsRight

Fair enough, I suppose that I'm just letting my own bias against moves in the anime get to me. I usually dislike it when an episode is practically 99% filler, but then suddenly escapes the filler label just because a main character's Pokemon learns a new move towards the end of said episode. So the idea that Serena should've battled more often just so that her Pokemon would learn more moves on-screen sounded like another one of these scenarios to me.

Yeah I'm also not really big on anti-climaxes either. The whole 'Pokemon losing battle - gets boost - wins easily (even if said boost shouldn't make them that invincible)' formula is just painfully predictable and ruins a lot of battles, especially if they're actually put in a main arc. I'd rather they kept power boosts out of action sequences since they do not constitute as a satisfying conclusion for either a boring filler or a cheaply finished battle, and often the actual training focused episodes can get a more amusing chemistry and agency out of the characters.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Truth be told I'm never big on when Pokemon get moves or boosts through battles or intense situations, it always feels like plot armour rather than something they and their trainer worked for, especially in cases like Serena who don't even battle much anyway. It's just an instant win button with permanent side effects.

Instant wins suck but Serena's team was so poorly treated that I think most of us would've let it slide if her Pokemon learned more moves and got instant wins because of that.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

Until the introduction of experience candy and cooking. :p

Now it's the only way to level up your low level Pokémon without dealing level 60 Wild Pokémon.

And let's be serious. The anime had already proven long ago that battles aren't the only ways to raise your Pokémon to be stronger and learn new moves.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I haven't posted here in a few years. Let's see if I still have it.

When it comes to everything involving Serena it was wasted potential. I do even know what the point of her battling ultimately was when her goal didn't involve it. I'll never understand why she wasn't just made a Pokemon Coordinator. Oh well. I guess at the end of the day she'll only be famous for one thing. Amourshipping. Not her Pokemon, not her skill level, and not her goal, but amourshipping. Pity, I like Serena but I cannot call her a well written character. She deserved better :(

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Maybe they wanted to really sell the idea that Ash's glorification shone so brightly that she had to look weak and helpless to make him look better in comparison?

I mean, she could have at least had Mega Evolution to back up her power or at least try evolving her freaking Pancham, but nooooooooooo.

Epicocity

You guys...do all realize that Pancham can only evolve if the trainer has a Dark type in their party, right? And while the anime *might* have been able to stretch it with Greninja being consider part of the "party" it's still a tad stretchy. Criticizing her for not doing something it was impossible for her to do just seems downright silly...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You guys...do all realize that Pancham can only evolve if the trainer has a Dark type in their party, right? And while the anime *might* have been able to stretch it with Greninja being consider part of the "party" it's still a tad stretchy. Criticizing her for not doing something it was impossible for her to do just seems downright silly...
Jessie evolved her Pumpkaboo through trading but then she got it back after realizing she was attached to it despite almost getting a Mega Mawile.

That pretty much opened the possibilities for Serena if she was lent Greninja to evolve Pancham, but alas, Pancham sells better than Pangoro.

...Besides, don't you all dare to tell me you don't want to see a freaking giant panda doing crazy maneuvers during showcases.

Status
Not open for further replies.