• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serena never finishing a battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
I do see the similarities but I definitely think the writers were more fastidious with May’s goal.

I suspected that they were trying hard to make Haruka stand out as the anti-Kasumi in terms of her having an active goal. They did a surprisingly good job with Haruka's Contest arc given that it was their first time adapting Pokemon Contests in the anime, although to be fair they essentially modeled parts of the Contest arc after Satoshi's own Gym arc. And then Serena's TryPokaron goal was basically a watered-down version of Haruka and Hikari's Contest goal, so they were really just mimicking their earlier work all along with only a few differences.

Jeal

So long as they make a thread with this subject. Your opinion, but I genuinely find many episodes both in XY and most series beforehand lack proper third acts through that formula.
You write the same essay every time Serena is mentioned, even if the thread isn't about her.

Yeah, because that is how Pokémon is, deal with it. If you are so uncomfortable with the way things work on this show, then there must be a show that meets your requirements. Switch to it and be forever happy. No point in complaining about the same thing every day.

A lot of users proved you wrong, but you keep repeating the same thing since the first time, like if our arguments were meaningless to you.

You write the same essay every time Serena is mentioned, even if the thread isn't about her.

Yeah, because that is how Pokémon is, deal with it. If you are so uncomfortable with the way things work on this show, then there must be a show that meets your requirements. Switch to it and be forever happy. No point in complaining about the same thing every day.

A lot of users proved you wrong, but you keep repeating the same thing since the first time, like if our arguments were meaningless to you.

The first thing you should probably realize is that these people don't really have good faith criticisms of Serena. They just pontificate meaninglessly and pander to the people who already agree with them. The " arguments " are usually either devoid of substance or and attract the usual suspects.

Of course, this is all wrapped under the guise of " muh opinions "

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

The only really good Serena's "battle" was against her mom, and it was not a battle, it was a Skiddo's race.
She actually showed his desire for trying to find what she wants to do, with an actual good personality and character for an important decision, and the amourshipping wasn't involved in the episode.

After that, her "battles" (performances) were not as great as May and Dawn's contests, at the point that Serena never lost against her rivals and Miette feels more like an amourshipping rival instead of a proper performance rival. Maybe her exception is her final performance against Aria and because it was supposely to be her conclusion during her arc, it was also a decent one.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The first thing you should probably realize is that these people don't really have good faith criticisms of Serena. They just pontificate meaninglessly and pander to the people who already agree with them. The " arguments " are usually either devoid of substance or and attract the usual suspects.

Classic example of people trying to act a character is superior in terms of writing only because they like them and if someone doesn't like her arc, her goal or how she was handled they don't have good faith criticisms and so their opinions are invalid :rolleyes:

Classic example of people trying to act a character is superior in terms of writing only because they like them and if someone doesn't like her arc, her goal or how she was handled they don't have good faith criticisms and so their opinions are invalid :rolleyes:

And this is a classic example of “ muh opinions “ and no, I have never alleged this. Somebody can dislike something and have great, well-thought out substantiative reasons for why quite easily. And I would never pretend any character is objectively superior in any form.

However, it’s sad to say, but opinions are meaningless if they’re not built on a groundwork of reality(this case being the actual show). Otherwise, there’s just wrong or are well, just opinions tantamount to nothing.

How much value is there really in just saying something is bad or good? I say very little. Of course, people can disagree.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
And this is a classic example of “ muh opinions “ and no, I have never alleged this. Somebody can dislike something and have great, well-thought out substantiative reasons for why quite easily. And I would never pretend any character is objectively superior in any form.

However, it’s sad to say, but opinions are meaningless if they’re not built on a groundwork of reality(this case being the actual show). Otherwise, there’s just wrong or are well, just opinions tantamount to nothing.

How much value is there really in just saying something is bad or good? I say very little. Of course, people can disagree.

And people do have reasons why they dislike her as shown. The way she took a year to get a goal and get going. How that goal was a watered down version of showcases. How she didnt get losses like Dawn in the sense she had to improve, and it was always because of external reasons like fenekkin accidentally tripping. The development potential when Serena cut her hair ultimately disappointing people. Not really being believable given her development that she reaches the finals, unlike dawn, and even when she is in the finals she does better than aria who ends up winning due to popularity mainly. So that sucked too. Her not finishing battles on her own, her Pokémon losing personality when they evolved. Yet you choose to ignore these as criticisms made in bad faith. Sure buddy, sure.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RafaSceptile said:
The only really good Serena's "battle" was against her mom, and it was not a battle, it was a Skiddo's race.
She actually showed his desire for trying to find what she wants to do, with an actual good personality and character for an important decision, and the amourshipping wasn't involved in the episode.

I appreciated that race because Serena showed her passionate side. Even though it wasn't a battle, I thought that it was a nice change of pace and it made me wish that Serena had competed in more racing events as her hobby instead of TryPokaron.

Applecorp

Why are you completely ignoring the valid criticisms that Serena's gotten? People have said that Serena took too long to find a goal, that she was shipping fodder and that she didn't battle much. Those are all things that even a blind man could see was true so why come here and backbite us for talking about this?

Like I'm sorry if you like Serena and not everyone else does but there's a little something called freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.