1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serena's goal.

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Eievui-Nymphia, Dec 21, 2013.

?

What do you think that Serena/Serena will do in the anime?

1. Battle Chateau

30.1%
  2. Battle Maison

4.8%
  3. Pokemon Contests

6.8%
  4. Sky Battles

8.9%
  5. I don't know

19.2%
  6. Other options (Explain)

9.6%
  7. A passive goal.

20.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh. I was under the impression that that was so. I'm probably just thinking about a certain person(s), but I'm not gonna give names.

Unfortunately, that's the thing with me. I don't like pessimism and hatred. Just for people to get along despite their different opinions. I guess if people are gonna keep complaining, I'll just leave then.

2. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I actually think Contests would be a very appropriate goal for Serena. It has the element of fashion and beauty, and since she also thinks battling is cool/awesome, she can do that as well.

I actually think Serena's personality might become just as big of a problem (it has already been mentioned in the same breath as her lack of a goal as an issue) if she doesn't show more of herself.

And seriously, I wasn't active on these forums when BW first aired, but did Iris receive the same amount of hate? Her Dragon Master goal wasn't revealed till like some twenty episodes in, and it wasn't much throughout BW.

3. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

I agree and I doubt Contest are coming back anyway.

Yes, the shipping is the problem when it overruns Serena's entire character being there to do nothing aside from being saved by Ash or to fawn over him. That's the problem with intermixing shipping into the show for me, I just hope this doesn't become Kirito/Asuna or Makorra bad.

Honestly, when it came to May's search for a goal(As much as I hate to compare old/new characters) May was apathetic to gym battles, happened to come upon Contest and like them and decided to take part in them. But regardless of her not being too keen on gyms or needing any real reason to battle or use Torchic, she still did. Tried to capture Pokemon, tried to battle and all before she actually tackled her first Contest. As for Iris, she always had a goal, she just kept it a secret because she was uncomfy with telling Ash/Cilan it. Which makes sense since she had problems at Opelucid Academy as a young child.

Regardless, I liked both these characters. Their character development, flair for battle and all. With Iris, I just liked having a girl who wasn't so damsel-in-distress-like, her Axew got stolen by TR in her first episode and she scales a tree to try to save him like Ash. Axew gets stuck in a Scolipede's horns, she swings on vines to save him with no Pokemon aid from Excadrill and doesn't recoil or get sad when she can't do it on her own. She didn't wear short skirts or booty shorts and felt like her own person and didn't mind calling out bullies regularly or her male traveling companions on their behavior. She's the only female traveling companion of Ash I feel I could relate to. She doesn't care about looks, vanity, fashion, clothes and is wild and crazy. She takes no crap from anyone and is pretty independent and strong a person and a capable trainer in her own right and got offered the position of a gym leader by the strongest gym leader in Unova, winning a tournament, getting her Excadrill/Dragonite under control, and getting praise from Clair/Cynthia were great accomplishments for her. Although I would have preferred some type of collection quest for her and more battles I liked her.

I like Serena's personality, but I just really want to see some type of return of a collection quest-like goal for her which is why I was so keen on Chateau/Maison playing a part in XY for her. She's got a pretty nice personality, it's not as interesting as what we saw in her first two episodes though with that seemingly rebellious demeanor toward her mother, and is pretty great around Bonnie too. I kind of like having a girl so opposite to Iris on the cast, it's refreshing in its own way after she left. I want to know and am curious what people exactly want and expect out of her character. I mean, I really want to know, not being sarcastic.

I agree the shipping is forced and unnecessary and pretty badly executed but what do you want from Serena? I'd like her to ultimately move past and develop over her feelings of Ash so much, learn to be more independent, ultimately do what she does with Pokemon because she loves it and not because she saw Ash on TV, I'd love to see her battle with Fennekin and catch that Espurr in the upcoming episode, get a collection quest goal and win a big event in XY, a Mega Evolution tournament in Shalour would be great. I'd like her to be inspired by Diantha or the Chateau and ultimately those beings what spikes her goal. It'd be great.

4. Sephora

Sephora yes I'm back

The problem with contests is not that it's been done before but rather that it is irrelevant to Kalos. Contests are not the thing in that region so how can Serena partake in them?

@ Doryuzu: I said most people don't see it as a problem, not all. Obviously some (like you) think otherwise. And no worries, it is just harmless shipping tease in the show. It will unlikely end up like Kirito/Asuna in level of romance (still pokemon lol).
    Personally I don't think the shipping aspect in Serena's character is a problem at all, but rather her lack of goal. I know a goal does not make a character, but it helps with character development and overall pro-activeness.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

She hasn't fawned over her senpai in the last four episodes, and doesn't look like she's after the D in any of the upcoming episodes either.

And c'mon, you're comparing SAO to Pokemon. For real?? SAO is part-romance...romance in Pokemon will always play second fiddle and be a subplot at best.

Sassmaster Serena needs to return, that's for sure.

The shipping might seem forced simply because the writers chose to go with a childhood crush approach versus the classic method (like we saw with Misty who developed feelings for Ash over time). And I still think Serena's crush on Ash needs to be 'updated' for how he is now - meaning she recognizes his flaws but still likes him for who he is. So yes, the crush from her end does need some fine-tuning. But overall I don't think she needs to move past her feelings for Ash. Why? It's not liking Ash is going to magically stop her from having a goal. She's not being intoxicated by her love Anakin Skywalker style...

CMDShift4 likes this.
  6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

So seeing three girls basically repeat the same story arc and development just with different pokemon? No thanks.

A rather large chunk of Dawn's character development was nearly identical to May's, just done in a slightly different way. Another beginning trainer who loses her confidence due to losses and has to overcome her depression by getting better at their goal. The only reasons Dawn felt different is because her rivals weren't the same as Drew/Harley were so it played out differently. Other than that May and Dawn went through the same parallelisms of character growth.

We've seen that twice already. To do it a third time with Serena would be absurd.

7. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

Iris was reviled by probably half the fandom when she debuted and it only got worse going forward.

You know, this isn't your fault, but it's really telling of how poorly done SAO's story is that a basic shonen fighting series comes off as "part romance."

I get what he's saying in this comparison, at least I think I do. Serena's obsession with Ash is currently at the expense of 90% of everything else about her character. In fact, you can literally see the exact moment where she drops off in characterization when he comes into the picture. It's on a smaller scale than Asuna/Kirito but similar in a sense because Asuna also got wiped of most of her previous characterization in favor of shipping bait when that started.

Lorde likes this.
  8. ^Yes: exactly! Please, no more contests, and that's exactly what happened in Dawn's case in terms of her character growth: it nearly paralleled May's.

We don't need it done a third time for god sakes', guys: that would just reinforce how repetitive the anime has become even more in general and make interest wane further. Serena definitely needs a goal, but not that.^

I liked Iris, so you're not alone in liking her: she wouldn't take crap from anyone, which was awesome, as opposed to the generic girly girl we have now in the form of Anime Serena. I feel your pain, man.

Exactly right, man, and nice analogy there with Asuna and Kirito. In general, I think Serena's personality needs more work than her getting a goal, though, unlike many here: she just has the most bland, generic, lifeless personality for the most part, sans moments with her mom and apparently one time with TR where she got sassier, but that's it.

9. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I'm just saying that it is seemingly the most fitting goal for her, but not something I want to see happen because as you said, we've seen it plenty before. Of course, I still think it can be done uniquely but it would require some creativity from the writers.

Well, I'm more than aware of the latter. Godwin's Law of Iris & BW Hate rules this forum.

Just sayin', the SAO anime seems to emphasize its harem and romance aspects way too much. I hear the light novel is a lot better.

Ahh...I see...well it's a bit of a reach of an analogy in my opinion, but I'll give it to him though. I definitely agree with the Asuna characterization (she was a lot more interesting and bad@zz early on), but you can't really say that compares to Serena. You had Sassmaster Serena for an episode and then sees Ash on TV and goes after him. I suppose you could say she dropped off in characterization the moment she saw Ash on TV but that's still a reach.

10. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Too bad the Pokeathlon didn't come back for XY. Seeing Serena do sporting/pokemon events might have been interesting.

11. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I think that's a tad bit too harsh. She's hardly "lifeless" but I can see how her girly/sweet attitude can come across as bland to some. But I will agree that Sassmaster Serena we saw in episode 1 was a lot better and more entertaining.

12. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

I heard the same, but I've also heard that such claims are exaggerated.

Eh, whatever, I dropped it after the utterly BS conclusion of the first arc and didn't stick around for the horror show that was Alfheim.

That's why I said it was on a smaller scale. It seemed like Serena was one person in XY001 and most of XY002, but as soon as Ash came on the TV, she turned into another, which was my overall point.

Anyway, though, I think I agree with her needing more than just a goal, despite how heavily I've emphasized it. My reasoning is that a goal would give her a mechanism in the story for further development away from what she is now. I suppose Battle Chateau isn't totally out of the range of possibility yet despite the Viola/Grant footage, but I'm not counting on it, and if we get past that episode without her having a real interest in it, I think we have to count it out of the pool.

13. Well, she comes off as bland then more than lifeless, if that makes sense.

Agreed with that.

14. Sephora

Sephora yes I'm back

I find it ridiculous that some people on here think that being sassy or strong/defiant makes the best characteristics and anything else is considered "bland", "boring" or contains "no personality". Sorry to break it to you but there are a lot of different characteristics out there. I don't want another Misty or Iris (as much as I liked them). After Iris, a girl who is the total opposite is very refreshing imo. It also irks me how some people talk about Serena being a girly girl. It is in no way inferior to a tomboy at all. With the way some people in this forum talk, you'd think being a girly girl is a disease or something. They are just different.
    As for Serena being boring, I disagree. I don't find her boring in the slightest and I enjoy her character very much in episodes. Yes she hasn't done anything THAT interesting so far but she did only have one episode centered around her so far so give the girl a break.

15. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

Yeah, after watching Alfheim, I didn't understand why they just didn't include additional content from the light novel and make all 25 episodes in Aincrad with an anime-only ending from that. Oh well, at least SAO was entertaining, even if had a lot of flaws. Season 2 has been announced recently if you haven't heard.

I can agree with that. To me though, that difference in personality gives her dimensionality and raises her potential of being a very good character. Hence why I have high hopes for her.

People have their own preferences, that's all. I think people just want to see her Sassmaster side mixed in with her girly nature. Otherwise it might make her, as TGB mentioned, almost two different persons.

I would be curious to see how girls and guys view Serena atm, but that's just a passing thought.

16. CMDShift4

CMDShift4 Anonymous

I agree with this. I REALLY LOL'd on this one. Never thought a petty and subtle thing like romance seems threatening on a character and the show's credibility. She can be independent without having her infatuation with the main character removed. Just because someone saved her doesn't mean she can't be reliable in some other way.

For me, I don't really care what the fandom (especially if they're minority) want or expect out of her character. What I want is how will the anime staff deliver her story that would benefit both her and the rest of the group. Like Morning Sun said "most people don't see it as a problem, not all". Why would my expectations be influenced by some people anyway? Especially if most of the expectations I read are wishful thinking.

This is why "boring" is very subjective and not to be considered as a basis on an argument ;-)

17. Lunanight

Lunanight Well-Known Member

The thing is that, whether Misty had feelings for Ash aside, she had a defined goal that she wanted to be a master of Water-Type Pokemon. With Serena, all she has at this point is a crush on Ash without any confirmed goal.

Now while Misty is not my favourite character, I do believe the writers handled her friendship/relationship with Ash right. She was focused on her goals from the beginning while liking Ash. Even Bonnie, a character who is not a Pokemon Trainer, had the goal of finding Clemont a wife from the start (even if it is mostly comic relief). Every one of Ash's other main traveling companions (Misty, Brock, May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Cilan, Clemont, Bonnie) had goals from the start and while some changed like Brock's, at least he had a goal from the beginning. Even Max, someone without Pokemon, wanted to become a Pokemon Trainer as his goal.

Serena will find her goal sooner or later but as it stands now, she is basically Ash's fangirl who is only around to be the "manditory" female lead.

18. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Fangirl? What? So what is Clemont? Fanboy? Isn't Bonnie a fangirl too?

19. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I don't recall May ever going through a long period of constant defeats or losing confidence while collecting ribbons. Outside GF's you'd be hard press to find May's shortcomings compared to Dawn who has more defeats then victories. Stop trying to leech May off other girls. May and Dawn were different on how the grew.

As far as Serena goes, this place has become a debating war zone! I'm almost afraid to chime in...almost :D at this point in time I have no idea what Serena's future holds. We at least know she's not going to get any major focus in the future coming episodes so it doesn't look good for her.

The ones saying we should focus on Serena's personality, this can be somewhat hard because Serena's personality isn't really consistent. It changes and most of the time she's overshadowed by the others anyway making it a little difficult for her to stand out when her teammates are being more entertaining, but that's just a matter of opinion. I think most of us will agree that a badge/ribbon/trinket collect quest is almost 100% off the table now. Why they choose Serena as the lead female if she didn't have a quest like that is beyond me. For now I'm just going to back off on Serena. It feels like everyone's turning on her or lowered their expectations on what she'll bring to the table. I don't know if the female lead will ever get a starring role again, but I doubt it'll be here. I miss the sidequest but I think it's time to fully accept that it's not coming back. I still hope she get's something to work for. Poor Serena.

20. Nacreous

Nacreous Fire trainer

I'm starting to believe this is true.Though,I still have a little hope since we'll see the Battle Chateau being introduced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.