1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serena's goal.

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Eievui-Nymphia, Dec 21, 2013.

?

What do you think that Serena/Serena will do in the anime?

1. Battle Chateau

30.1%
  2. Battle Maison

4.8%
  3. Pokemon Contests

6.8%
  4. Sky Battles

8.9%
  5. I don't know

19.2%
  6. Other options (Explain)

9.6%
  7. A passive goal.

20.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Are you? Even though it's only been 11 episodes and Serena joined Ash and others 5 episodes ago?

2. Nacreous

Nacreous Fire trainer

Your point?

3. Janovy

Janovy Banned

My point being that she already had a focus episode that gave her some character development thus proving she's not there just for looks.

And really, it's only been 11 episodes. Too early to start getting worried.

jrizza88 likes this.
  4. Cho-Hakkai

Cho-Hakkai Member

Well, a lot of the hate come fom some BW fans. They are really burned that the season they liked was hated for almost everybody, that in a fashion of "revenge" they criticize every single aspect of the season that have more acceptance now.

Aa for Serena goal, I really want to see what the writers are gonna do with it. But at the moment ,its seen that they don't have a clear idea of what they want to do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Not really. I liked BW but I admit that XY seems to be much better, I really like it as well.

So please don't go on accusing BW fans of hating XY when there is a plenty of BW fans who absolutely love XY.

6. Cho-Hakkai

Cho-Hakkai Member

Oh sorry! I forgot the add "some fans"(english is not my first language,so I got confused). I was talking about just couple of individuals who just represent a tiny portion of the fandom.
    I gonna edit my post now.

7. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

I would have believed "Serena exists to be cute" had the shipping angle been really forced onto us in each and every episode, and many fanservice angles been explored. I don't even find her half as fan-servicey as Dawn was (she doesn't really catch my attention) at the moment. She's doing nothing at the moment, which is why I believe she would eventually find her goal.

She's not the new Brock because she wasn't shown to be the cook of the group. Didn't you guys see how they conveniently didn't answer the "Who is the cook in the group?" question?

She's not there just to be Ash's waifu because the angle isn't being exploited had that been the case. Heck, I didn't see a Amourshipping hint in any of the previous five episodes. It was clearly a ploy to attract viewers.

Seriously, there's nothing to comment on her. She's currently passive in the main cast. If anything, one should be complain about that.

She's being neglected in the recent few episodes and the episodes previews all seem to be Ash-focused. This worries me a bit.

If she indeed exists to be cute, then the writers are doing a poor job with portraying her cuteness. But that's not the case. <.<

8. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

This is what I think should be stressed the most. If this were some fifty-two episode anime or something, then I'd agree that it's something to start thinking about. In all likelihood though, she's going to be on for at least near 200 episodes. Still lots of time to give focus to everyone in the group.

9. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

It's become a debate because people are starting to spew out inaccurate generalizations about her character.

It really isn't "off the table" yet because even if her goal is revealed in the 20s, there's still plenty of time to accomplish it.

Exactly why does Serena even need a collection/trinket/ribbon quest anyway?

I see just as many people defending Serena as those criticizing her. And plenty of people still have high expectations for her (like me). Seriously...the female lead *will* get a starring role, and I'm sure Serena will get focus.

That's basically what the only logical criticism should be of her at the moment, and even that's still premature considering she has been on the main cast for five episodes. These generalizations that she only exists for fan-service or worship Ash senpai are mind-boggling.

10. skulkidcachi90

skulkidcachi90 Well-Known Member

And that is the reason because Pokemon X Y is a really bad anime, all the caracters are bad caracters, specially Serena, she is out personality and all is Development is focus in her love for Ash, episode 7 is a Example.

She really need Development.

11. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

Yep, I'm one of those fans, I like BW and I adore XY a lot so far and am enjoying the first episodes more in-general(Heck of any series honestly). So why Cho-Hakkai makes such skewered generalizations about the BW fans in this thread, I dunno. Especially when I like Clemont and Bonnie a lot, the great battles in XY, the interactions, nice animation at times and Serena at times and gave Iris and Cilan flak a good number of times in BW over their shortcomings, like Axew's growth or Cilan's static demeanor, I have no clue.

12. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Why doesn't Serena catch your attention if you're a Dawn fan? Design wise she has the same features people liked Dawn for, and her hair is a bit more exotic than Dawn's was in the back. And her interactions with Ash are what Pearlshippers hoped the Dawn/Ash friendship would turn into to.

The only difference is the lack of a goal, and Serena not being interested in battling.

13. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

Where there's more to liking a character than physical appeal you know. Goals, character development, interactions, personality and a myriad of other things are pivotal points in that judgement as well.

14. Cho-Hakkai

Cho-Hakkai Member

Did you miss what I post before? I do say that I dont think all fans are like that :x, I like BW too and I was refering to a vocal minority.

15. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

True, but Dracoflare was specifically talking about fanservice and design in that post. If we're going appearance wise Serena and Dawn look the most alike of any of the 5 female leads, but Serena's hair being more wavy and more exotic looks a bit more interesting than Dawn's hair. I also think the blonde hair makes Serena stand out a bit more, but that's just me.

16. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

I would accept serena being a battler if she had her game design. But since she's not, I don't feel like she needs to do anything major. Plus the less focus she gets, the more potential focus there is for chespin to shine assuming froakie doesn't hog all of it like oshawott did in BW.

17. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I don't get why Donphans Dawn fans would like Serena simply because they look alike. That doesn't make any sense. And I wouldn't describe Serena's hair as "exotic" whatsoever.

18. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

No, Doryuzu's post holds some water in reference to fanservice too. The things that make me like her isn't just her appearance. There are other factors like the length of her skirt, her voice acting, her cheerful personality in general. I like Dawn or should I better say Hikari because of Megumi Toyoguchi. Trust me when I say her voice acting is fanservice to me at times (Those Daijobus.......).

But even if we go that route and talk about her appearance, I believe I like Dawn's hair more.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  19. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Well I understand liking the Japanese VA better (although to me, all the Japanese voices for the girls sound almost identical, but I'm not Japanese so I can't tell the difference), but Serena's skirt is only a little longer than Dawn's and her hair style is similar.

As for Serena's hair, its more wavy with a ponytail in the back and shen she takes off her hat its combed around her face a bit better, while Dawn just has the usual long-haircut. Also I guess blonde hair resonates with the audience more because its a realistic hair color unlike anime-blue hair.

If it weren't due to Serena being so passive I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two of them. Even their interactions with Ash are what people previously wanted Dawn to do back when DP was originally airing before we knew what a girl with a blatant crush on Ash would be like.

20. AshsPikachu

AshsPikachu Well-Known Member

There's only one episode a week.... so if 1 month were to pass by... which would be 4 episodes = not a lot at all.

Remember, we have new writers this time... just because BW didn't satisfy you doesn't mean this series won't.

I also think we should try to think of the reasons why Serena's goal hasn't been chosen yet. 1. to create suspense and lots of interest (already in some of the previous episodes Serena has been thinking about what she wants to do so all those thoughts help bring suspense to the viewers). and 2. Due to the fact she doesn't know what she wants to do yet, as she continues to think and possibly try out new things, it can help lead to some character development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.