1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serena's goal.

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Eievui-Nymphia, Dec 21, 2013.

?

What do you think that Serena/Serena will do in the anime?

1. Battle Chateau

30.1%
  2. Battle Maison

4.8%
  3. Pokemon Contests

6.8%
  4. Sky Battles

8.9%
  5. I don't know

19.2%
  6. Other options (Explain)

9.6%
  7. A passive goal.

20.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Dark Magician Girl

I pretty much think that will happen too. She'll probably get interested in it after watching the match in the upcoming episode about it.

2. Sephora

Sephora yes I'm back

I want it to happen just as much as you do but I am going at this from a logical POV. So far there has been no evidence that Serena will be doing it. Yes it will be debuting soon (by the previews) but that is not evidence that Serena will be doing it (since she wasn't seen during the Battle Chateau scene in the previews).
    Having said that, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of her doing the Battle Chateau, but at the same time, I wouldn't say that it is the most likely either.

3. the1stpkmnfan

the1stpkmnfan Your Big Buff Bro

Pardon me if somebody has already suggested this. Since Serena does have a thing for fashion, she could learn about being a Pokemon Stylist. Dawn competed in one of those competitions, and they're just the same as contests (according to Hermoine). I bet the writers thought about adding that back in DP to see how it played out. But it wasn't focused on as much as contests, since that was Dawn's primary goal.

Now we could see Pokemon Stylists taking a bigger role. Remember the character Paris too? That'd make it even more funny, and convienent, to put it in Kalos (since it's French based :p)

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  4. Lorde

Lorde Banned

What makes the Battle Chateau the most relevant goal for Serena? We don't even know how it works in the anime; all we've seen is Grant and Viola battling there in the newest preview, and most of the BC votes were cast before we even saw the BC in the anime. There is absolutely no evidence that Serena would compete there. The best people could say is that she expressed mild interest in battling when she fought Team Rocket the first time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she desires to battle regularly. She's done nothing so far that indicates that she's destined for the Chateau in my humble opinion.

5. Janovy

Janovy Banned

The goal would make sense but - wouldn't it be boring?

Being a Pokémon Stylist would involve Serena creating outfits for her Pokémon and ... that's it. No battles, nothing that would make me care for it. Even Pokémon Contests had battles, otherwise they would have been just as boring. It would have Serena dressing up, her Pokémon dressing up and then either winning or losing. Seriously, aside from seeing Serena in a series of different dresses, what would be the good part of that goal?

I just don't see it. And I personally don't really wanna see it.

6. In one sentence, that's the depth the character has shown so far to me: talk about a real letdown. You people who say Serena is a "nice girl" can't even show me what she has done in the last set of episodes to make me like her. She's far too inactive in the group in general, but I wouldn't mind that if she showed some personality and some sense of independence rather than fawning over her beloved Satoshi-Kun/Ash every chance she gets. She does need a goal, but that's really the least of my problems with this character: I love how people whine about Iris making snide remarks about Ash because he could use some when his stupidity went overboard and she was looking out for him, but apparently being bland and generic is perfectly excusable and that means she's being nice automatically.

Anyway, she's probably going to get a passive goal, but I could really care less. This character needs a lot of work: in general, the whole group needs some work, though. Ash and Bonnie's interactions are extremely weak, so I will give Serena she has a sisterly bond with Bonnie over Ash in this department. Problem is, she doesn't have anything else going for her right now: Serena needs to show us more of her character more often rather than just standing on the sidelines rooting for Ash more often, and that's the main issue I have with her.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. ~Sea_Spirit~

~Sea_Spirit~ Prince of the Sea

I agree but...

I'm not sure but, isn't the point of her goal to promote a new feature in the games. I mean, yeah, Dawn did pokemon contests too but they used super contests and ball capsules.

And also i kinda don't see the point in bringing a concept from 2 gens ago that was barely touched upon back. Dont get me wrong i like the whole Poke Stylist thing but.. yeah

Lorde likes this.
  8. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Dark Magician Girl

Yeah I doubt the Pokestylist thing will be her goal also. The Battle Chateau does promote the XY games though and it would be the perfect goal for Serena to have imo.

9. Sephora

Sephora yes I'm back

Fashion is just an interest she has, it doesn't define her whole character. Especially given the fact that it hasn't been brought up in every episode.

And I don't know what she has done to make you dislike her either...

Umm, she doesn't fan on Ash in every episode. If you have seen XY008 and on, then you would not have said that.

And just because her personality is not as obvious as Misty or Iris's were, doesn't mean she doesn't have one. She did show personality in the episodes:
    - Sassy to her mother (obvious one)
    - She frowns a lot when something does not go as she expects like her mother calling her to practice, Ash not remembering her, and Ash eating the cookies too fast.
    - In XY006 despite Ash not remembering her she tells him not to worry and focus on his training first (showing that she puts others before herself).
    - In XY009 she tells Clemont that they just have to reclaim the gym before Ash tells him (showing her determination).
    - Mocks TR with their own motto with Bonnie. Plus rushes to the professors rescue as soon as she sees him in danger.
    - Complained about the picture of the Pancham in the pokedex
    - In XY011 she is suspicious of Meowth and is sarcastic towards him

And I am only writing these from memory, I am sure there are other examples.

[IMG139]https://24.media.tumblr.com/975d734e973f53beb148bf4356007806/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo1_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139]https://31.media.tumblr.com/8dcb39a964a77005601cb80e31539dcc/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo2_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139] https://31.media.tumblr.com/1ff8f047ebf7c387f1aa3f30468b6b9f/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo3_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139]https://24.media.tumblr.com/8802b51e01aed5a141dc10952229fad4/tumblr_mywgw9Mri01t6767vo1_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139]https://24.media.tumblr.com/9be6d60b77ac0693fd9c0e57fd575a2a/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo4_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139]https://24.media.tumblr.com/00c1f0ca4629ee2e102e4b800a2a4d3b/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo5_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139]https://31.media.tumblr.com/325f232e3c53904c1cedb19e16a89b4f/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo6_500.png[/IMG139][IMG139]https://24.media.tumblr.com/a54b06d5af295e5f648b1caf85761820/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo7_500.png[/IMG139]

[IMG139]https://24.media.tumblr.com/93203aff6fa850babd0905b456aded93/tumblr_mywfti7dqV1t6767vo8_500.png[/IMG139]

And this was from the most recent episode as well, so you cannot say she became bland after joining Ash and co.

And apparently Serena still has no personality.
    Seriously, this argument is getting old :rolleyes:
    Because in every XY episode thus far, she has done something that would be classified under "personality".

So no, I don't think Serena is bland or has no personality. Because she does. And I think her personality will come out even more when she finds herself a goal.
    Yeah we don't have any clue what she will do yet, but it's not too late for her to get a goal, you know.
    I doubt it'll be a passive goal, a Rhyhorn Racer/Sky battler (limited pokemon), or a pokemon coordinator (no contests in Kalos, at least in the games).
    I want it to be the Battle Chateau so I have my fingers crossed for a hint in the episode when BC debuts.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Aura7541 and Navin like this.
  10. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I've never cared for that "Pokestylist" thing and honestly, I was under the impression that it suited Dawn more than Serena anyway. Serena's love of fashion has been handled well so far in that it hasn't been the biggest part of her character and hasn't been shoved down our throats imo. As for the Battle Chateau; I don't see how it promotes the XY games. Sure, it's relevant to the games themselves, but I don't think that Serena battling there would have an impact on the X & Y video game sales.

11. Well, I mean she hasn't done much of anything yet, and that's the general vibe I've been getting from her so far.

The problem is that she hasn't done much in general aside from fawning over Ash, cooking, and navigating so far, which makes me dislike her. I wish she'd do more herself than let Ash and Clemont take up a majority of screen time (don't get me wrong: this is a problem with Bonnie as well, so it's not just Serena I'm referring to in this light).

Everyone is suspicious of Meowth in general, so that's not really a good point. The rest, I agree with, but again they are few and far between.

Oh, I know she doesn't do it every episode, but the majority of the time she is, and that's one problem I have with her. I've seen all 11 episodes of XY, and those are some of the only times she really expressed any personality, and that's the problem: she needs to do so more often is what I'm getting at here. There has been improvement in this regard in XY008 and XY010 in particular, but we need more of that and less of XY005-XY007 and XY011 in Serena's case.

Yeah, she really does have little to no personality, tbh: the most I've seen from her is being sassy a bit at times like in those pictures you've pasted here, but that's not much at all.

12. Sephora

Sephora yes I'm back

I am not forcing you to like her, heck you can even hate her for all I care. But do not claim that she has no personality because that is not true at all.

I never cared for it either. Plus there are no battles in Pokestylist competitions, instead it is just showing off your pokemon in different clothes. It would get boring fast imo.

13. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

When you tell him what he can and can't think about her, yes, you are forcing him to like her.

Her making some silly faces doesn't automatically give her a personality. If that was the case then Team Rocket would right now be the best characters on the show.

14. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I'm not disagreeing with you since I do think Serena's been a bit tame in terms of her personality, but those instances of sassiness that we've seen are a good indicator that she might become more dynamic as the series progresses. Maybe once she's accustomed to traveling with Ash we'll see her open up a bit more and we'll see more of her sassy side.

15. Here's hoping that does occur, and I'm all for that happening if so: it would make her a lot more interesting as a character to say the least as opposed to how tame she's been so far.

Exactly, man: also agreed, and I'd arguably say TR are the worst characters on the XY Anime right now. XY011 alone shows that their stupidity can apparently be brought to new heights...smh.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. Sephora

Sephora yes I'm back

Saying that a character has personality does not equal liking them.
    For example, Iris clearly showed personality but I didn't like her.

Who even said she was the "best character" on the show? I just said that she did show signs of a personality.
    And so did TR for that matter, whether you like them or not.

17. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

I see no one changing their minds here in the distant future, so just to remind everyone that there's more to her goals than a chateau that she's clearly not qualified for.

#RhyhornRacing4Serena.

18. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Then again, even if she was more sassy and had dynamic personality traits, I'm sure most people would still criticize her for not having a goal. I personally think that each character should have a dream, but as I said before, there have been previous characters who have traveled with Ash with little motivation and no viable goal of their own, and they weren't as criticized as Serena is. And it's really lame because Serena has only been in the cast for half a dozen episodes and yet she's still gotten more criticism than certain other characters.

19. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

She gets more criticism because of the massive hype the fandom gave her that she has largely failed to live up to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.