• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serena's goal.

What do you think that Serena/Serena will do in the anime?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
What's wrong with her being a traveling companion with a goal?
I wanted her to be the Rival. Since she isn't going to be the Rival I don't care what they do with her.

Now that she's actually with the group she's doing about what I expected her to do. She's supportive as Ash. She's occasionally helpful. She's occasionally a damsel in distress. She has little quirks that show up in the plot from time to time. She'll probably catch some cute Pokemon and do some cute things somewhere down the road.

That's what I expect. If we get more than that I'll be surprised.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I wanted her to be the Rival. Since she isn't going to be the Rival I don't care what they do with her.

Now that she's actually with the group she's doing about what I expected her to do. She's supportive as Ash. She's occasionally helpful. She's occasionally a damsel in distress. She has little quirks that show up in the plot from time to time. She'll probably catch some cute Pokemon and do some cute things somewhere down the road.

I think I'll agree with you here. I'm still expecting her to move towards an eventual goal, as that what the series is telling us, but until then I'm fine with what they're throwing our way.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Lol, I love that when I mentioned the battle chateau as a goal for her, everybody jumped on me yet now it is the highest in this poll.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
seems like most of us really want to go for battle chateau, well i guess that will depend on the writers. maybe they might hear our suggestions or maybe not but who knows.

seems like most of us really want to go for battle chateau, well i guess that will depend on the writers. maybe they might hear our suggestions or maybe not but who knows.

I really doubt the writers would listen to our suggestions, let alone even hear them, otherwise we would've seen a bunch of different things in the anime. :p They've obviously got an endgame for Serena; what that endgame is, though, is the real question.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I think I'll agree with you here. I'm still expecting her to move towards an eventual goal, as that what the series is telling us, but until then I'm fine with what they're throwing our way.

So basically she's doing the same thing every previous female did. What's the difference between her and May or Dawn excluding the Contests? They all feel interchangeable.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
So basically she's doing the same thing every previous female did. What's the difference between her and May or Dawn excluding the Contests? They all feel interchangeable.
May's personality definitely seemed a bit more interesting to me than Dawn's, in-general she just showed more personality in more episode imo. Not to sound like I'm throwing shade at Dawn.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
looks like to me some of us are still comapring serena to may or dawn. remember guys this is xy series and we also have a new set of writers so do you think they will just copy the likes of may or dawn just because there was a bit of remake throughout the series

if i were in your case, maybe i'll just have to wait what the writers have to plan about it rather than bragging something that has not yet happened/

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
looks like to me some of us are still comapring serena to may or dawn. remember guys this is xy series and we also have a new set of writers so do you think they will just copy the likes of may or dawn just because there was a bit of remake throughout the series

if i were in your case, maybe i'll just have to wait what the writers have to plan about it rather than bragging something that has not yet happened/
No we don't, the writers from OS have all largely stuck to the show. Although I agree, it's not good to compare every aspect of a past character to a current one and expecting said comparisons to yield direct, accurate results.

Still with the May and Dawn comparisons? Come on, they seemed to have died down recently! If this is about the continuing discussion about Contests, it's not like people are saying Contests will be her goal; we haven't even seen them in the XY games. On the other hand, there's still a chance they could reappear in the possible RSE remakes, which could give the anime an opportunity to at least give out a Contest-themed arc. So, right now, it's a bit of a lose-lose situation with the possibility of Serena becoming a Coordinator.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I actually agree about the interchangeable part. The thing that I liked about Iris is that while she shared some traits with the other female companions, she also had her own personality. She was independent and was able to look after herself, and she was even a good battler from the start since she wasn't a beginner trainer. I also liked that she didn't kiss up to Ash all the time. She criticized him often and while many people seem to take that too seriously, I liked that Iris seemed like a totally original character. Serena on the other hand, does not. She had a lot of potential though which is why I wanted her to be Ash's traveling companion, but we're just getting more of the same. There's nothing too special about her aside from her crush on Ash, which may or may not led to interesting development in the future.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I actually agree about the interchangeable part. The thing that I liked about Iris is that while she shared some traits with the other female companions, she also had her own personality. She was independent and was able to look after herself, and she was even a good battler from the start since she wasn't a beginner trainer. I also liked that she didn't kiss up to Ash all the time. She criticized him often and while many people seem to take that too seriously, I liked that Iris seemed like a totally original character. Serena on the other hand, does not. She had a lot of potential though which is why I wanted her to be Ash's traveling companion, but we're just getting more of the same. There's nothing too special about her aside from her crush on Ash, which may or may not led to interesting development in the future.

To be honest all the player girl characters from the games were basically designed to be interchangeable with May after she left. After the writers started the formula with May in AG they repeated it with Dawn and Serena just with some slight alterations so they wouldn't feel like exactly the same character.

It's odd in a way because it makes all the girls feel interchangeable whereas back when the only girls were Misty and May at least they were distinct. But I guess that's expected when we're on our 5th female travel companion.

To be honest all the player girl characters from the games were basically designed to be interchangeable with May after she left. After the writers started the formula with May in AG they repeated it with Dawn and Serena just with some slight alterations so they wouldn't feel like exactly the same character.

It's odd in a way because it makes all the girls feel interchangeable whereas back when the only girls were Misty and May at least they were distinct. But I guess that's expected when we're on our 5th female travel companion.

Oh, so apparently Serena is a May clone and a Dawn clone, while Iris is a Misty clone. And Dawn is a May clone too. Oh, hey, maybe Dawn is a Misty clone too, since she's got a tough side too. And I guess that means May is a Serena clone, since she was also unsure about her goals too. Oh, and she's also a Dawn clone too, since she's also a Coordinator. And Misty's definitely an Iris clone too, since she's interested in a certain type like Iris was.

Really, these constant comparisons are SO ANNOYING. I recognize these similarities, but for them to be shoved down people's throats 24/7 when they're willing to give these characters a chance is just discouraging, and for me, I'm not willing to give up on Serena just yet. Plus, it demeans the originality of all these characters.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Oh, so apparently Serena is a May clone and a Dawn clone, while Iris is a Misty clone. And Dawn is a May clone too. Oh, hey, maybe Dawn is a Misty clone too, since she's got a tough side too. And I guess that means May is a Serena clone, since she was also unsure about her goals too. Oh, and she's also a Dawn clone too, since she's also a Coordinator. And Misty's definitely an Iris clone too, since she's interested in a certain type like Iris was.

Really, these constant comparisons are SO ANNOYING. I recognize these similarities, but for them to be shoved down people's throats 24/7 when they're willing to give these characters a chance is just discouraging, and for me, I'm not willing to give up on Serena just yet. Plus, it demeans the originality of all these characters.

knowing there's clones everywhere, i don't know if i can still continue to watch this, i'll just hope serena is different from this clones and also hoping that she'll have a goal that won't disappoint the viewers.

The show is built on formula, it's not a surprise. I do hope Serena finds her goal soon.

Which is why I find it annoying for these comparisons to keep popping up. I don't wanna be informed of something I know about again and again and again.

Whatever her goal is, right now, I just hope it's good enough so Serena can get pulled out of the chaos that is the fandom division about her purpose.

Viveshade

What's Next?

Have more faith! It's not as if the series is fifty episodes in. There's still plenty of time for the writers to give her something to do. I'm guilty of impatience, too, but we should really wait and see if anything comes up in the next few episodes regarding what she will do. I feel like the writers are still establishing Serena's role as a companion before giving her a quest.

I sort of feel like Dawn was an anomaly because she already knew what she wanted to do before she even became a trainer. I think it would be more common for rookies to have really no idea what they want to do.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I sort of feel like Dawn was an anomaly because she already knew what she wanted to do before she even became a trainer. I think it would be more common for rookies to have really no idea what they want to do.

That's probably because her mother basically imprinted contests on her when she was a child. If you have a parent who constantly tells you to do something you're going to grow up believeing it. Johanna was like a tiger parent, she basically forced Dawn to be a coordinator without Dawn even realizing it. Dawn grew up believing she had to do it because that's probably all her mother told her.

Serena's Mom with the Rhyhorn racing was almost the same thing, but Serena doesn't care about it.

That's probably because her mother basically imprinted contests on her when she was a child. If you have a parent who constantly tells you to do something you're going to grow up believeing it. Johanna was like a tiger parent, she basically forced Dawn to be a coordinator without Dawn even realizing it. Dawn grew up believing she had to do it because that's probably all her mother told her.

Serena's Mom with the Rhyhorn racing was almost the same thing, but Serena doesn't care about it.

One of the reasons that sets her apart from Dawn. She totally rejects the pressure of her mother's fame and hopes to find something that'll put her out of that shadow. Quite a legitimate reason for people to assume that there's something in store for Serena, alongside all of the episode hints that she wants to find something.

Status
Not open for further replies.