1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serious question: What do people expect out of Ash's Johto Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by CyberCubed, May 25, 2010.

1. Nacreous

Nacreous Fire trainer

I can see Cyndaquil & Totodile evolving & gaining super powerful attacks like Eruption,Hydro Pump,Superpower.
    As for Noctowl,it'll probably come with new attacks like Sky Attack & Extrasensory or maybe even Roost

2. thunderblade12

thunderblade12 Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt anyone's going to evolve. I'd love for Cyndaquil and Totodile to evolve at least once each though (ideally twice for Totodile.) Everyone will probably have a completely revised moveset though.

I wonder if the writers will lie tell us more about the off-screen stuff that supposedly happened in Johto. Remember the Pokeathlon episode where Ash and Brock claimed to have entered one while in Johto?

This would be epic:

Bayleef:
    Magical Leaf, Body Slam, Giga Drain, Vine Whip, Light Screen
    Moves improvised: Vine Drain

Typhlosion:
    Flame Wheel, Eruption, Focus Punch, Smoke Screen, Swift
    Moves improvised: Smokescreened Eruption

Feraligatr:
    Hydro Cannon, Slash, Ice Fang, Super Power, Aqua Tail
    Moves improvised: Frozen Aqua Tail

Too bad well probably just have to settle for mini-powerhouses.

3. The Benmeister

The Benmeister Master of Magnet

Quite high expectations you have there. I wouldn't bet on any of those things happening.

The problem the anime has is that there's never a good reason to bring back these four. With most of Ash's other Pokemon they are unique in their own way, meaning there's always a possibility that they'll be brought back for something. But with these guys there's little hope, all of Ash's other Grass, Fire, Water and Flying types are superior in almost every aspect. The only exception I can think to this would be bringing back Noctowl for its psychic abilities or whatever.

4. thunderblade12

Remember, the last time we've seen these four was back in Johto. Battles have changed a lot sense then. And pokemon (from all characters) come back with tons of new moves and strategies all of the time.

5. Ash-kid

Ash-kid Ash-kid

And that's very sad, bacause if it won't happen and they won't evolve, I really think Ash shouldn't bring them only to get screentime. Or to show their new moves.

If Totodile will evolve, it will take Buizel's spotlight. Cyndaquil is probably not going to evolve if Ash will use Torkaol, and for what if he has an Infernape?
    Although new moves is great to watch, I feel it's too late since it should have happened already in Johto.

6. Sayho1234

Sayho1234 Well-Known Member

If the writers could make Ash's severely inexperienced Krabby not only get flawless victories at the Indigo League against highly experienced pokemon, but to also have him evolve into Kingler in the process after his first league match, then what makes you think that they couldn't overpower the Johto team at the Sinnoh League?

7. thunderblade12

Why do they absolutely NEED to evolve to be strong? I still say Bulbasaur and Squirtle weren't anything special before leaving Ash's side. Bulbasaur got the battle against that League girl in Kanto by defeating her Scyther and Beedrill and Squirtle defeated one of the Orange Island Gym Leader's Starmie. I don't care about it beating random no bodies' Persians. Defeating Unnamed character B is hardly a mentionable in a battle resume.

8. Animefan145

Animefan145 Well-Known Member

While the Johto team never really stuck in my memory that much, partially because of Johto's bad writing, and partially because they weren't that awesome compared to Ash's later crazier and more energetic Pokemon, it'd still be nice to see them get some time in the spotlight, the main problem being is that then that means less time for Ash's Sinnoh Pokemon, although Ash's Sinnoh Pokemon has had a good deal of development (inconsistent at best, like Gible, but that's partially because Sinnoh's been a much better saga than Johto).

There's still nostalgia, although who knows how many Japanese fans still remember Johto, and of course the marketing reason. I hope to see a few evolutions (though probably not), or at least to see them with updated moves (maybe?). i guess it depends on how many League battles Ash will have. Against Paul, I hope Ash uses all of his Sinnoh Pokemon (and Pikachu) but the rest of the rivals and random trainers could provide good opportunities to show off his reserves.

9. hack

hack Banned

Sinnoh its not a better saga then Johto and Johto isn't better then Sinnoh either case close).

A lot of people remember Johto and it didn't have any bad writing at all which its not true at all, Totodile don't need to evolve to take Buizel spotlight, when he its already strong enough and Totodile its on the same level that Buizel its at, Cyndaquil don't need to have learn anything in Johto since he have proven a lot of times that he's strong as its.

Ash's other Grass,Fire,Water, and Flying types are not superior in any aspect at all, there its a good reason to bring the Johto team back since they weren't never a weak team at all back in Johto and there its no true reason for Cyndaquil or Totodile to evolve since they were never weak to begin with, they can still have a lot of new attacks with out having to evolve and if they evolve fine if they don't they still going to be strong no matter what.

10. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I expect them to battle and get screen time, Cyber. I don't see Cyndaquil evolving. Between Infernape and Torkoal nothing can really save the little guy but at least he's a mini powerhouse. Same goes for Totodile, I don't see a evolution but if I am wrong it will be a nice surprise. I would like to see Bayleef evolve however as I think it really deserves one. I don't care that Sceptile and Torterra exist, Bayleef should evolve and pounce on Ash as a Meganium.

11. Cazak

Cazak When Wings Fly High

I really expected more from Noctowl, it was like the first Shiny, and Physic poke'mon Ash had caught, but it failed in many potential battles where its physic attacks could've been sooooooooo much better. The only time I liked Noctowl's battle till now was the one against Gym Leader Mortey for the fog badge.

12. hack

hack Banned

Bayleef, don't need to evolve since she its already strong as its and fits Ash perfectly.

Cyndaquil, have proven to be a really strong powerful pokemon and Cyndaquil don't need to be save at all.

Totodile, have shown that he its strong enough to hold his own in battle and wether he evolve or not he will still be a really strong pokemon.

Torterra, its much stronger then Sceptile put together and he will do a really good job at the Sinnoh League, but we will just have to wait and see first.

Infernape, its a really great powerhouses and he will have a whole lot of battles ahead of him,hopefully he will do really good at the pokemon League.

Buizel, have proven to be a really great powerhouses water type pokemon on Ash's Sinnoh team and he got a lot of power in side of him.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  13. Nightlingbolt

Nightlingbolt AKA Nightlingbolt

You do realize that Noctowl is Normal/Flying, right? Come back when you know the actual types of Ash's Pokemon, mmmkay? :)

On topic: I'd say Noctowl, Bayleef, and Cyndaquil are out of the question as long as Ash has Staraptor, Torterra, and Infernape at his disposal. Heracross and Donphan are wild-cards, so I'd expect to see either of them at least once, or even both at the same time.

14. Lunanight

Lunanight Well-Known Member

OK, how do i say this nicely: ash's johto team were weak compared to the others, look:

infernape>cyndaquil
    staraptor>noctowl
    buizel>totodile
    torterra>bayleaf

HOWEVER, herracross>gible because gible is so far the weakest pokemon ash has ever caught and has not mastered draco meteor. IF it masters draco meteor, I may change my mind on herracross>gible.

even the pokemon mentioned above in their lowest forms chimchar, starly, buizel and turtwig respectively were better then the johto pokemon

there are some exceptions:

donphan (it was epic anyway)
    charazard (when it was in the johto league, no point of being in sinnoh league as we already have a verry powerful fire pokemon on ash's team)
    snorlax (when it was in the johto league)
    muk (when it was in the johto league)

15. d4rk_tailed

d4rk_tailed Doritoes,Leaf Storm!

I think he/she is just emphasising that compared to Ashs other flying Pokemon, Noctowl never fulfilled the same purposes; instead it was only useful for those dodgy psychic tendencies.

@Lunalight, blow for blow, until Infernape really burns something up at the league, Cyndaquil has done more than enough to justify equality.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  16. poizonsting

poizonsting Pokemon master

What's with the Johto Pokemon hype. I would like to see some Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon too

17. streetlightdsb

streetlightdsb Uni hiatus

Gible putting up a fight against Barry's Empoleon alone puts it at the very least equal to Totodile IMO. Realistically speaking, Totodile is probably Ash's weakest Pokemon really.

Donphan was not very strong at all (as a Phanpy) in Johto, all it got was a win against Macey's Slugma IIRC. Hardly the definition of epic.

Same goes to Muk- it's had one win throughout the entire show in my memory, and that's against Bellsprout. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic: I just expect some redemption for them. Just a good couple of wins each will be good.

18. Janovy

Janovy Banned

What do I expect?
    - Them appearing in HD broadcast :p
    - Many new moves and tactics
    - At least one evolution
    - Them taking out many Pokemon in league, but saving the best for Sinnoh team in the very end.

19. ~-Overheat-~

~-Overheat-~ Black/White!

The only way the Johto pokemon can get recognition is to be unique and not just crappy remakes.

I would like Cyndaquil to stay the same. With stronger moves ofcourse. Plus it'll be Ash's only mini fire pokemon, giving it a sense of uniqueness. It should learn Eruption and maybe Gyro Ball. Cyndaquil was pretty good in Johto imo.

Totodile, imo, should evolve. But only to Croconaw. That way, it'll be Ash's only evolved Water pokemon(excluding Kingler) plus it should get moves like Crunch, Ice Fang(not ice punch, buizel has that!) and Aqua Tail.

Bayleef is fine the way it is, but i'd like to see a Meganium. I think its more likely for Bayleef evolving than Totodile and Cyndaquil. Plus, it'll be hilarious to see Meganium pouncing on and crushing Ash! Ash should use Meganium strategically as a defensive/staller/team beneficial pokemon with moves like Petal Dance(would be awesome), Light Screen, Aromatherapy, Magical Leaf and Grasswhistle.

Noctowl is kind of unique already, with only Ash's pokemon with psychic attacks. I want Psychic, Extransensory or Zen Headbutt to replace Confusion. Zen Headbutt should be interesting. Hypnosis+Dream Eater would be awesome aswell. It should learn flying moves like Air Slash and Air Cutter aswell(since all the other birds have Aerial Ace)

20. STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA Well-Known Member

Let's see...

Noctowl: It didn't get much battles but it did defeat Haunter and Gengar. I think it's true strength isn't known yet.

Bayleef: It had a few good wins like when it battled Chuck's Machoke and Poliwrath and especially Harrison's Houndoom. It's personality isn't like Ash but it's affection for Ash is what I think made it learn body slam.

Cyndaquil: It amazes me. It had a few good wins under its belt like against Skarmory, Jasmine's Steelix, and Pryce's Dewgong. That's amazing for a Cyndaquil.

Totodile: Idk.... All I can say is that its win against Harrison's Sneasel amazes me. It's dancing tactic is very useful though.

We're(well I am at least) excited b/c we may see them get some development.