• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serious question: What do people expect out of Ash's Johto Pokemon?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Guys the Paul battle wich is the important one will be reserved for Ash Shinno pokemons, if it inst i will be ****** at the writers once again.

The reserves are coming for the preliminary round and Conway/Nando/Barrys battles maybe nothing else.

The main battle will be for the Shinno guys its stupid to build the rivalry the entire region and then tell them to **** off.

P.S. Still wishing Gliscor comes back for that battle, and goes back to Kanto in the end with Oak and Ash, i always prefer to have the pokemons at Oaks to see them from time to time instead of at a random trainers.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
I hope that we get to see:
-The Johto starters getting to be in the battles that they missed out on for 3 years. Johto sucked.
-Totodile evolving to Croconaw...and maybe Feraligatr.
-Noctowl getting personality/made fun of in the show for having little personality. And also a move that isn't Hypnosis.
-Corphish evolving.
-Double battles with strange-but-cool matchups like Donphan and Buizel or Noctowl and Snorlax.
-In HD no less.

Sinnoh its not a better saga then Johto and Johto isn't better then Sinnoh either case close).

A lot of people remember Johto and it didn't have any bad writing at all which its not true at all, Totodile don't need to evolve to take Buizel spotlight, when he its already strong enough and Totodile its on the same level that Buizel its at, Cyndaquil don't need to have learn anything in Johto since he have proven a lot of times that he's strong as its.

Ash's other Grass,Fire,Water, and Flying types are not superior in any aspect at all, there its a good reason to bring the Johto team back since they weren't never a weak team at all back in Johto and there its no true reason for Cyndaquil or Totodile to evolve since they were never weak to begin with, they can still have a lot of new attacks with out having to evolve and if they evolve fine if they don't they still going to be strong no matter what.

Ughh...a nostalgia junkie.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
I expect atleast ONE new move each to reflect the in-game movepool changes, maybe complete movepools for some of the less developed guys like Muk how as only ever used 2 moves.

Eg... they could simply upgrade existing moves i.e.
Totodile:
Watergun > Hydropump
Bite > Crunch/Ice Fang
Scary Face
New Move: Aqua Tail, Superpower

Possibly an ability or two also.

thunderblade12

I really doubt it's possible for any of Ash's reserves to evolve. I mean they could evolve Totodile twice within a few episodes, I just doubt the writers will go through with it.

And there's no way more than one would evolve. IMO it'd be Totodile if anything.

Crawdaunt would be too similar to Kingler.
Typhlosion may be saved for Dawn.
and Meganium... Ash already has two fully evolved grass starters.

Now I'm convinced. Sinnoh is the Johto saga done right.

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt

Torpoleon

I expect something good out of Ash's Johto Pokemon and all of his reserves for that matter. They train at Oak's Lab a lot, most likely, so they should be really strong with a whole pool of new moves. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Blazenuva

I was pretty young during Johto, so I can't really give an opinion on the skills of Ash's team during that region. However, I think its fair to say that those pokemon could probably have developed some new attacks. Plus, the Johto gang already have one league under their belt, so who knows.

People just keep on whining that Johto starter didn't evolved. Does that really make a difference. It has been told a million times already that Pokemon can be powerful without evolving and Pikachu and Corphish are the best example. What was better about Johto was no release(as Pokemon like Charizard and others can return whenever Ash wants them to) and those little powerhouses making their way through six gym(excluding first and eighth gym). Last time they lacked league battles and this time the are gonna get it.

Last edited:

Champion Jared 14

Well, Ash's sinnoh team is Ash's most developed and evolved team so far. And if people think it's his best team, then why must Ash call on his reserves? Especially the ones from Johto? If they're so useless and underpowered and underdeveloped, then why would he call on them? It's gonna be another repeat of the Johto League Silver Conference in terms of Ash's team selection, when Ash has to call on his reserves again...So I guess Sinnoh's team really isn't the best, it just looks nice...Clearly, the writers put themselves in a predicament...

crawdauntpro

darksidetrainer
I would expect the following for the Johto Pokémon: -

Evolutions: -
Bayleef
Cyndaquil
Totodile

New moves: -
Noctowl
Bayleef/Meganium
Cyndaquil/Quilava
Totodile/Croconaw

Champion Jared 14

Cyndaquil shined in the match against Bugsy's team, He also shined in the big match against Jasmine's Steelix, Noctowl's best gym debut was Ecruteak against the ghost pokemon, and learning a psychic move, etc etc...there are others...the writers were not the best, but at least it wasn't digimon/yugioh inspired writing...I don't see what they have to prove...

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Crawdaunt would be too similar to Kingler.
and Meganium... Ash already has two fully evolved grass starters.

Thing is, you could have said that after BF, Ash had a fully evolved grass starter, and Bulbasaur as a mascot, so Torterra wouldnt have been needed. Just the fact that Bayleef genuinely did well in Johto, and that it is closer to a final stage than either Cyndaquil or Totodile makes it more feasible for Meganium to appear.

If I had to make a choice, Id have Buizel become Floatzel, but since that aint gonna happen, Crawdaunt looks more viable to me. In the same way Im hoping Gible never evolves (at least the deadpan Japanese version), Totodile shouldnt pass up its happy-go-lucky nature by evolving. Like others, I cant envisage Croconaw or Feraligatr being like Totodile is.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I love how people are taking it so seriously... It would be boring as hell if Ash took on his rivals with his Sinnoh team.

pokefandt

I want to see Ash's Johto Pokemon cut a swath trough his opponents. After their mixed performance in the Silver Tournament, this would really make up for it. It would be funny if Ash's current team (sans Pikachu) looked up to his reserves as some sort of grizzled veterans.

SUPERSTARZZ

The Cool Pip!
I'm looking forward to seeing them. His Pokémon always seem to get more powerful when they leave Ash, and I wouldn't count them out. We already know Bayleef is no push over.

And yet the Johto Pokémon had there screentime stolen by the Kanto Pokémon. As long as the league has enough time to dedicate time to both its fine.

It is maybe because Ash has started this use-only-what-are-caught-in-current-region philosophy after Johto? Don't get your hopes up, if I were you .....

hack

Banned
The Johto team never had there screen time taken by the Kanto team at all, Cyndaquil don't really need to evolve at all since he have prove to himself before that he's no push over at all and he its really a strong Pokemon aswell,Bayleef its really strong enough to hold her own in battles and she have no real reason to evolve what so ever,Totodile have proven before that he its strong enough to hold his own in tough battles and he don't need to evolve he its fine the way he its.

The Johto team its already strong enough as its, even if they do evolve it won't make them any different then they were before, because it have been proven in the anime a lot of times that a Pokemon can still be strong as its with out having to evolve.

thunderblade12

Thing is, you could have said that after BF, Ash had a fully evolved grass starter, and Bulbasaur as a mascot, so Torterra wouldnt have been needed. Just the fact that Bayleef genuinely did well in Johto, and that it is closer to a final stage than either Cyndaquil or Totodile makes it more feasible for Meganium to appear.

If I had to make a choice, Id have Buizel become Floatzel, but since that aint gonna happen, Crawdaunt looks more viable to me. In the same way Im hoping Gible never evolves (at least the deadpan Japanese version), Totodile shouldnt pass up its happy-go-lucky nature by evolving. Like others, I cant envisage Croconaw or Feraligatr being like Totodile is.

I can see a jolly, dancing Feraligatr.

Evolutions:
None

New moves:
Everyone

Profesco

gone gently
I can see a jolly, dancing Feraligatr.

Means you've had one martini too many, thunderblade. You ought to lie down.

Nah, that would be great. A dance-happy Feraligatr would be hilarious and endearing. We can only hope, though, right?

hack

Banned
Totodile its already strong as its and it don't really need to evolve at all, wether Totodile evolve or not it won't be such a big deal anyways.