1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serious spin off for main anime. It could be?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Ashton Ketchum, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

As in main anime we don't get get some serious tone and epic, it could be in some spin off series, which could targeted for more adult fans. Something between XY(Z) and PokeSpe. How do you think - we could get this kind spin off in main anime universe, at least short?

Ubermuk likes this.
  2. BabaVanga

BabaVanga Well-Known Member

I'd rather see more "serious" series without any ties to the main anime universe if I had to chose.

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

If the idea were commercially viable, then you can bet that it would've already been put into production years ago. And I know that some people considered parts of XY&Z and even the Mega Evolution specials as being more "mature" or "dark", but I personally didn't think that anything from that era was particularly grim, edgy, or adult-oriented.

keepitsimple and shoz999 like this.
  4. Sham

Sham Someone is calling us

XYZ wasn’t really dark just more serious and had less humor compared to the past series. If anything SM was “dark” discussing stuff like death, child neglect, fear, abduction etc and even then I wouldn’t couldn’t consider it a “dark series”. If the anime did get a spin off; I’d like it to actually be based off a known character since that’s what most spin offs have. Dawn could possibly hold her own series; especially since DP was essentially her story just as much as it was Ash’s.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  5. I'd rather see another Pokemon Chronicles tbh. Fans' interpretation of dark, serious, mature, edgy series doesn't appeal to me.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple That is very silly

No. It's a children's cartoon and will always be that. They're not going to make it Dark™️ and Serious™️ even for a spin-off.

i2i, Sham, mehmeh1 and 5 others like this.
  7. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

No. If anything a good spin-off for me it's mainly about the companions that we care and not about Ash, in which I constantly criticize from the main anime. Didn't really care about the dark, edgy, serious, mature stuffs because I would rather watch other franchises like Mortal Kombat who are known to do these instead of Pokemon.

Leonhart likes this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

That'd be a good alternative in my view, mostly because it might give us a chance to catch up on what the old traveling companions are up to.

9. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Time for Round 5!

PokeSpe isn't even that mature, they just have less limits about what they can do in terms of content for children
    and maybe better storytelling in general
    It's funny how people praised Alan for being more mature than Ash and later become mad with him beating Ash haha

mehmeh1, Redstar45 and JustAStatistic like this.
  10. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

Got to agree with this. Fans have terrible ideas and it never works out when fans end up in charge of a property.

11. JustAStatistic

JustAStatistic Casual Trainer

The only "serious" I'd be okay with seeing would be tighter writing in general. Preferably in the main anime, but an in-universe side series like the ME specials would be good too.

Leonhart likes this.
  12. Redstar45

Redstar45 Well-Known Member

Maybe is not word that i wanted to explain about Pokemon special manga

13. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

They may not have been the same people, though. For instance I also thought that Alain was more mature than Satoshi and generally more consistent, but I wasn't upset that he beat Satoshi in the Kalos League since I never had hopes that Satoshi would win to begin with.

JustAStatistic likes this.
  14. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

I am not a fan of the idea of doing a mature series for the sake of maturity. Going in with that intention seems childish and I've seen too much childishness from Rob Liefeld.

What the anime could benefit from in a story driven arc or series is a decent story structure. Of course, that would mean the anime has a plot mountain and not a plot calculus student's nightmare.

Ubermuk and mehmeh1 like this.
  15. Remix2

Remix2 Well-Known Member

Maybe serious isn’t the word but I will love if they do more in universe side series similar to the mega act special.

Ubermuk and mehmeh1 like this.
  16. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

This sounds like a good idea just as long as the main character isn't another Gary Stu like Alain was. We don't need a perfect main character who can do no wrong.

17. That sounds more like Ash in XY/XYZ than Alain if im being honest.

18. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Lol I guess so but at least Ash lost more often than Alain did. In a spin-off series I would rather root for an underdog than a perfectionist.

19. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've always wanted the anime to handle storyarcs differently than it currently does. At most we get small mini-arcs comprised of just a few episodes, but maybe people's outlook would brighten if the main anime took itself more seriously when it comes to telling a decent story in a drawn-out and well-planned manner. If that happened, we wouldn't even need a spin-off series.

carterfeygo likes this.
  20. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

I never expected the franchise to be effective to make its "serious" (adult-only) content. Even if people praised XY to be "serious", I still find it more children friendly than stuffs like Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy in which I would rather watch/play them for "serious" content. I would like to see the companions own adventures after their respective series as spin-offs more, since the main anime just like to focus on Ash.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    carterfeygo likes this.