1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Serious spin off for main anime. It could be?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Ashton Ketchum, Dec 15, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

Don't care for what adult fans want. I care a bit more what long-time fans want. With that being said, in terms of a more mature spin off for the main anime. I've always wanted to see an anthology of ghost stories around the Ghost Pokemon. I bet the kids will love it. If it was up to me, I'd reboot the Bill of the anime as the main character, make him more closer to that of a brave coward in Pokemon Adventures if that makes any sense. He would be the Luigi to Pokemon's Luigi's Mansion if you think about it.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  2. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: The bEGGinning of greatness!

Like I said in other thread PokeSpe isn't even adult, it just has better storytelling and less child-restricted in terms of content

If you want something really adult it's something beyond Pokespe, maybe something like Generations that features a more adult art style

3. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

If anything, PokeSpe is more structured in terms of plot. You have a defined exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.

For the anime, we had for six generations exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, exposition. We've looped back over and over again to the point where tensions is lost. Honestly, by the time XY rolled around, I was totally sick of it.

4. shoz999

Both PokeSpe and Generations are in the same boat as your Harry Potters or Star Wars if were talking about "mature" content. What do you guys even mean by "adult" anyway?

SerenaRulez and carterfeygo like this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree that I don't consider Pokemon Special to be an adult series either. It may seem like that to first-time readers who are more used to the anime, but the manga isn't that edgy these days compared to how it was in the R/G/B/Y chapters, and even then it was only sporadically violent. It would make a decent spin-off series though since I think we're overdue for an anime adaptation of the manga.

mehmeh1, SerenaRulez and Bortgreen like this.
  6. shoz999

Oh man though. You know what I'd like to see animated from Adventures SM? Sun's Alolan Meowth chasing Faba like something out of a horror slasher film lol. That was hilarious in my opinion.

mehmeh1 and Ubermuk like this.
  7. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even say that. Sure, the manga has a better plot than the anime (which isn't too hard, considering the little effort that the anime writers make), but in the end the plot is still quite simple. The highlight of the manga are the battles.

Leonhart and SerenaRulez like this.
  8. SerenaRulez

SerenaRulez Well-Known Member

When I think of a mature side series idea I always picture something like Pokemon Origins and how it had scenes that you wouldn't expect to see in the main cartoon. So if we could get a continuation of that with other characters like Ethan or Brendan that would be so cool! :)

Leonhart likes this.
  9. shoz999

For me, I'd just adapt the Pokemon Adventures manga. A lot of what are your asking for can be found in the manga but in a well constructed plot from beginning to end. I think what I like most about the manga however are the characters and how we see those characters define themselves from where they were to where they are now. I can still remember moments like Red going from a noob trainer to trying to outsmart Mewtwo, the moment when it's revealed your action-packed Ruby & Sapphire chapter is actually a love story, the time when we see the mellow kid Dia try to stand up to Cyrus's nihilistic views and the time when we see a bunch of childhood friends try to make a depressed X regain his love for the Pokemon world he lives in. So many moments I'd love to see animated.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Leonhart likes this.
  10. Rock Captain 99

Rock Captain 99 Following the dreams!!

Just bring back chronicles!!

11. J.Agera

J.Agera Well-Known Member

I would just create a shounen spin off original story where Ash actually grows and the cast would be more anime original, and not THAT dependent on games in terms of characters.

It will not be sienen level dark or anything.
    Shounen as in the sense, that genre has a perfect balance of every other genre.

I just want to see Ash grow up with consistent character arcs goddamit

I have no interest in the pokespe manga and I hate changing protagonists.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

If there is a shonen spinoff to the main anime, it wouldn't make sense for Ash to be the main character. Maybe Alain could be or someone new.

BabaVanga and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  13. J.Agera

Why can't Ash be the main character? I am asking for an AU.

14. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

I don't see the point of an AU just to change Ash's character entirely. Why not have a new character. Would also be fresh.

Leonhart likes this.
  15. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

Or potential variant of future.

16. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree. If a new series comes along I think it would make the most sense for it to give us a new character instead of a rebooted version of Satoshi. If I wanted to watch a series featuring Satoshi as the main character, I'd just stick to the main anime that we have now.

17. J.Agera

Then I wouldn't make a Pokémon Anime.
    If I have to make something new I would rather make something entirely new.

The only reason I would make an anime is to fix the current show.
    The only reason I even care about Pokémon is because of Ash Ketchum. I've always wanted to see him grow and have consistency. And the unanswered questions the current anime has established really need some light.

Ashton Ketchum likes this.
  18. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

If you can create your own spinoff then everyone can as well. Sure, I don't like Ash to the point that I rather have another protagonist than him, but it wouldn't affect your creations. Too bad the show, the developers, the creators are very protective with the franchise that they wouldn't let fans put things or mess up their own canons on it.

19. J.Agera

Of course it's just hypothetical, they will pull a copyright on me if I made one lol

20. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I also think that they're too protective of their mascots, which would be Satoshi and Pikachu in this case. I know that I've previously said that I wouldn't mind Satoshi leaving the series so that another character can either take over his spot in the main anime or a new character can appear in a spin-off/reboot, but I still think that Satoshi is a good protagonist and will probably stay for the duration of the franchise.