• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serperior Discussion

Ace Trainer Riana

So you're saying that Serperior can be beat bad nu players like someone who switches a Pyroar against a water type? That pokemon would have won the game.

Mye

Someone has to win..

Vern

Why not both?
After playtesting serperior in UU, I'll say that he gets walled EASILY... I can't even 3HKO jirachi at +2 with HP ground. But if you get rid of everything that can wall it it will kill teams.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Is it alright to ask about move sets on this thread, or is it only restricted to tier talk?

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Ok, which HP is the best, there are no movesets posted for a 6th gen Serperior with contrary on Serebii. I currently have one with HP Fighting, to counter Heatran and Lucario M and Ice types but that is about it. Any HP suggestions, so far HP Rock, HP Ice, and HP Fire sound well.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Ok, which HP is the best, there are no movesets posted for a 6th gen Serperior with contrary on Serebii. I currently have one with HP Fighting, to counter Heatran and Lucario M and Ice types but that is about it. Any HP suggestions, so far HP Rock, HP Ice, and HP Fire sound well.

Rock,Ground and fire are generally the best ones, Ice doesn't really do ya any good.

Mye

Someone has to win..
So no on HP fighting then

Yeah, HP fighting isn't really preferred as many of the pokemon it's super effective against (steels) tend to have a typing that makes taking ground/grass type moves bad (like empoleon, aggron, and metagross).

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
OK, so is it affirmed that HP Ice is no good, my female snivy (mimicking PokePark)has hp ice right when it was said hp ice is no good, I know it is good against Altaria M that is immune to Dragon Pulse.

Last edited:

Mye

Someone has to win..
OK, so is it affirmed that HP Ice is no good, my female snivy (mimicking PokePark)has hp ice right when it was said hp ice is no good, I know it is good against Altaria M that is immune to Dragon Pulse.

On the downside, it doesn't even come close to KOing talonflame and does less damage to pure dragon types (goodra) than dragon pulse would.

KillerDraco

On the downside, it doesn't even come close to KOing talonflame and does less damage to pure dragon types (goodra) than dragon pulse would.

To be fair though, it has to catch Talonflame on the switch so more often than not it'll find itself switching out against Talonflame... though Stealth Rock goes a long way towards helping that problem, of course.

Serperior's always going to be walled by SOMETHING no matter what Hidden Power it packs. Without HP Ground, Heatran gives it problems. Without HP Fire, it has trouble with most steel types, most notably Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP Rock can act as a lure for Talonflame, and also works decently well against MegaZard Y and certain other flying types. In lower tiers, such as RU, HP Fire is what you'll see most of the time, though.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
So since I know Heatran will most likely switch in what would be a good partner for Serperior HP Ground? Lucario. Discuss partners please!

XXD17

Draco rex
To be fair though, it has to catch Talonflame on the switch so more often than not it'll find itself switching out against Talonflame... though Stealth Rock goes a long way towards helping that problem, of course.

Serperior's always going to be walled by SOMETHING no matter what Hidden Power it packs. Without HP Ground, Heatran gives it problems. Without HP Fire, it has trouble with most steel types, most notably Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP Rock can act as a lure for Talonflame, and also works decently well against MegaZard Y and certain other flying types. In lower tiers, such as RU, HP Fire is what you'll see most of the time, though.

Why are we suddenly talking about contrary serp in OU lol? Did Smogon confirm it in OU or BL or something? Sorry if I'm ignorant...I don't see it being highly viable in OU thanks to t-flame, heatran and friends...but in UU, Hp fire does very well like you said...If it's tier hasn't been confirmed, I still think serp should be UU..there's plenty of checks and two counters (AV goodra and bulky Jirachi) to make it not broken but not enough threats to make it mediocre...

Last edited:

Mye

Someone has to win..
So since I know Heatran will most likely switch in what would be a good partner for Serperior HP Ground? Lucario. Discuss partners please!

Since serperior is easily walled by a steel type depending on the HP it runs (skarmory/scizor if not fire, heatran if not ground), it's partners can be put into two categories: those who can baton pass it boosts to K/O or survive attacks from those pokemon, and those who can effectively eliminate birds/steel types. For me, magnezone is one of its greatest partners as it can trap/OHKO most steels that wall serperior (heatran being an exception) and can pick off most bird pokemon with thunderbolt.

XXD17

Draco rex
Since serperior is easily walled by a steel type depending on the HP it runs (skarmory/scizor if not fire, heatran if not ground), it's partners can be put into two categories: those who can baton pass it boosts to K/O or survive attacks from those pokemon, and those who can effectively eliminate birds/steel types. For me, magnezone is one of its greatest partners as it can trap/OHKO most steels that wall serperior (heatran being an exception) and can pick off most bird pokemon with thunderbolt.

The only issue here is that scizor can U-turn out predicting the switch-in so magnezone isn't perfect for that...also, T-flame will outspeed unless scarf timid I believe...if scarf though, you can be locked into an electric move to allow a ground type to come in and set up...either way, I still see HP fire as the best choice since it covers most of serp's resistances...all you need is something for heatran and common OU flyers like Mega zard Y...something like bulky tar should do the trick...I think...but then again, this is OU we are talking about and I really can't see it in OU...

Last edited:

Mye

Someone has to win..
The only issue here is that scizor can U-turn out predicting the switch-in so magnezone isn't perfect for that...also, T-flame will outspeed unless scarf timid I believe...if scarf though, you can be locked into an electric to allow a ground type to come in a set up...either way, I still see HP fire as the best choice since it covers most of serp's resistances...all you need is something for heatran and common OU flyers like Mega zard Y...something like bulky tar should do the trick...I think...

Kinda. While t-tar could be good the idea of having serperior being constantly pelted by sand for 5 turns wouldn't be that good, as I'm pretty sure it's KO'd by non-STAB 100-spatk ice beams once it hits around 80% health. Rotom-W could be another interesting teammate, as it's one of the few pokemon able to kill all of heatran/scizor/talonflame without having to use hidden power.

XXD17

Draco rex
Kinda. While t-tar could be good the idea of having serperior being constantly pelted by sand for 5 turns wouldn't be that good, as I'm pretty sure it's KO'd by non-STAB 100-spatk ice beams once it hits around 80% health. Rotom-W could be another interesting teammate, as it's one of the few pokemon able to kill all of heatran/scizor/talonflame without having to use hidden power.

What about rotom H? I know bringing up a UU (or is it RU?) mon to OU is weird but it deals with all those guys as well...basic bulky support set with WoW, t-bolt, overheat, volt switch/ protect...

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
So I have Snivy with Hidden Power Rock, what is a good offensive moveset and EVs. It has a Timid Nature.

Mye

Someone has to win..
What about rotom H? I know bringing up a UU (or is it RU?) mon to OU is weird but it deals with all those guys as well...basic bulky support set with WoW, t-bolt, overheat, volt switch/ protect...

That could work too. Basically all the rotom forms barring grass could work as they each would bring their own way to counter serperior's threats. Even regular rotom, as STAB shadow ball would allow it to k/o certain things like doublade/metang/jirachi whilst also allowing it to cripple walls like ferroseed using trick/scarf.