• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Set Off! You Are Our Ultra Guardians!! (1004)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Set Off! You Are Our Ultra Guardians!!

As if from nowhere, an Ultra Wormhole opened and Ultra Beasts have started to pour through. Ash & co. are tasked by Lusamine to capture the Ultra Beasts and return them to their home world. Ash & Co. set off on their quest but it is harder than they thought it'd be. Will they manage to calm the Ultra Beasts?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Haha, they literally went full Sailor Moon with the transformation scene~!

Wew, Ash caught Buzzwole and released it in the same episode.

THAT WOULD BE HIS STRONGEST POKEMON EVER !!! Ash, why u do this ;_;

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Meh, underwhelming episode. We get a few seconds fight with Pikachu and Buzzwole and the rest of it was just a posing contest with no one doing really something notable. Didin't really have high expectations(I don't have for the Pokemon anime in general) for the episode despite it looking initially good but that was a total flop.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Just can't tell how awesome it felt honestly to see Ash riding a Garchomp. Damn Gible, why didn't you evolve!?!? :(

I was honestly expecting a completed fight with Buzzwole with Ash KO'ing or at least significantly weakening Buzzwole and then capture it. And instead what happened? An incomplete battle, with Kiawe and Ash taming Buzzwole with their silly antics to capture it. -_- A seriously dumb or rather dumbest way of capturing Buzzwole. And then, the interactions with Poipole in this episode were also too less and limited.

Have to say I'm quite disappointed with this episode overall, it definitely failed to live up to my expectations big time.

The only plus point/good parts of this episode was Ash's and co. taking off as Ultra Guardians and taking off in a badass manner riding their awesome ride Pokemon, and of course, Ash riding a Garchomp.

Overall, I'd say 5/10.

THAT WOULD BE HIS STRONGEST POKEMON EVER !!! Ash, why u do this ;_;

What? Nonsense. Ash has had multiple Pokemon so far who have awesome feats like beating epic Legendaries, commanded by high level trainers. Buzzwole won't even come in Ash's top 5 even if Ash captured it.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Wasn't as good as I expected because of the short fight between Pikachu and Buzzwole and I expected Poipole to at least intervene but what it just did was to show off its cute behaviour to show that it is that cute Ultra Beast. It seems that it is now secretly following Ash and his friends and only has met Pikachu and I also expected their interactions to be a lot longer. And I wanted to see more of the Buzzwole vs Bewear fight too.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
What? Nonsense. Ash has had multiple Pokemon so far who have awesome feats like beating epic Legendaries, commanded by high level trainers. Buzzwole won't even come in Ash's top 5 even if Ash captured it.

lol yeah right. It's a Legendary with Beast Boost. Charizard and Pikachu are the only ones KO'ing a Legendary, after a hard effort. Now imagine what Buzzwole could do under Ash's guidance.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Pretty funny episode, glad to see Pikachu get a taste of it's own medicine and blast off for once haha. Didn't really care too much for either battle, and I wish the other characters other than Ash got the chance to battle. At least Kiawe was still funny. It needed more of Lillie and less of Ash imo

nickdt

Buzzwole being caught and then released... which is the Task of the Ultra Guardian Squad. Too me, this is an indication Ash will not get Poipole.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah, this episode was really bad. So the school magically renovated itself to connect itself to the Aether Paradise, and what the heck, everyone's attires magically transform while going down the lift. I also really dislike this whole power rangers angle from this guardian group.

As expected, Buzzwole vs Bewear was a giant tease that didn't amount to anything, though I guess I liked that it showed Bewear really cares for TRio. Oh look, Poipole appears out of nowhere, wandering around. Also, what is up with that unfitting triumphant music when Buzzwole drained Snorlax? So a potion and some berries and he's back to normal.

Pikachu vs Buzzwole lasts for approximately a minute, and then comes the worst part. Ash and Kiawe simply flexing is enough to let Ash catch Buzzwole. Clearly they know everyone's teams are too weak to stand a chance, so they resort to such antics. I'm expecting various such antics when they deal with the other UB's. Also, Poipole appeared only in front of Pikachu, before it ran off somewhere, which felt pointless.

Overall, I give this episode a 3.5/10. It was really poor, and was a joke given all the hype that surrounded it.

You know WHY this is hilarious?

When I complained about the poster for this new arc, thinking it was inappropriate and poorly made and too comedic, everyone told me 'b-but it's not like the poster will reflect the tone of the actual arc!'. And look what we have here? Complete trash of an episode. They had the perfect opportunity to take the Ultra Beast invasion and transform SM into something serious and interesting for once, and what do we get? Utter nonsense and silly antics.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I really enjoyed the episode. Buzzwole was pretty funny with flexing its muscles. Darn TR ruining the little showdown between it and Bewear, even Buzzwole was disappointed lol!

I thought the beginning was a bit rushed but I'm glad that it went straight to the point either after or before class started. I loved the transformation scene, very nice that Mallow got some screentime. Buzzwole and Kiawe having a muscle flexing contest (with Ash and Pikachu joining in) was hilarious!! :D Poipole has quite the personality too!

Though I wish Buzzwole (or really any Ultra Beast) didn't get captured in the introduction episode. It felt too brief like we were just getting to know it and Pikachu didn't really weaken it. I noticed the characters looked more sharper and defined than goofy (and the faces weren't heavily exaggerated.) It was cool seeing the classmates flying with their own Fly Pokémon but unfortunately, most of them, even Ash too besides for battling Buzzwole a bit, didn't really do much this episode. I hope the next episode is an improvement. And I hope we see another showdown soon or anything to have Bewear sprint into action that doesn't involve carrying the TRio.

And the opening looks GORGEOUS! :eek:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Yeah, this episode was really bad. So the school magically renovated itself to connect itself to the Aether Paradise, and what the heck, everyone's attires magically transform while going down the lift. I also really dislike this whole power rangers angle from this guardian group.

The School wasn't magically renovated. Everything was done by AP and Lusamine. Also i think Lillie mentioned that Lusamine was like those kind of things (the over-the-top, Power Ranger style things). In short, Lusamine is sort of an Otaku.

By the way, not sure i liked the episode or not, but i found it to be a lot funny, especially all those Power Ranger's aspects.

Edit:- Oh, and everything is underground the school.

Last edited:

Rampardo

Why do they have to make comedy out of EVERYTHING? Just mind-boggling how even the Ultra beasts get this treatment. And of course the battles teased in the preview was nothing but a short 1 minute **** show. What a friggin' joke!

SM trying its best to become EVEN WORSE than BW. And it's doing a good f***ing job at it!

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
lol yeah right. It's a Legendary with Beast Boost. Charizard and Pikachu are the only ones KO'ing a Legendary, after a hard effort. Now imagine what Buzzwole could do under Ash's guidance.

Yeah and those Legendaries were commanded by high level trainers, and this is a wild UB. One of those Legendaries were even a League sweeper.

Also you do realise E4 members and Champions are far stronger than the Legendaries commanded by high level trainers Ash has beaten so far? Which is the reason Ash has hardly been able to compete with any E4 member so far despite beating multiple Legendaries. Greninja showed in XY that it's more than capable of going toe to toe/compete with this Elite Four level mons.

GPCIS(Greninja/Pikachu/Charizard/Sceptile/Infernape) are wiping the floor with any UB one on one. Of course by Pikachu I mean 'Peakachu'.

-------------------

Regardless, this episode was a classic example of starting brilliantly and ending very underwhelmingly. It was great to see Ash and co getting dressed in their UG outfits and taking off in a badass manner riding their awesome ride Pokemon (Ash with a Garchomp!). And ending so underwhelmingly by Buzzwole being tamed by ridiculous posing antics and being captured without a real decisive fight + very limited interactions with Poipole.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Was Gladion referenced in any way?

It's seems weird that Lusamine and AP would go through the trouble to renovate the school and give Power Ranger-esque uniforms to our beloved heroes and yet not give the same role to the kid who is carrying around a legit UB killer mon.

Episode was...OK. I really wish SM would just embrace the comedy and not try so hard to take itself seriously, there is a plethora of cute creatures on screen and the characters themselves are part of the slapstick that sticking them straight into a serious setting is really jarring.

Remix2

This episode definitely impressed me, I had the bar so low that it hitting the earth crust and somehow they still didn't pass that.

Ya this was bad, instead of getting anything cool or engaging like bewear vs buzzhole or anything, we get bad comedy trying to disguise itself as a climax.

Rajas

This episode was bad, The AF remodeled the school into a Batmanesque secret base really? No
The weird material to make their suit which covers their actual clothes into tight fit suits? Weird and impractical.
How much of you all were expecting this big fight between Bewear and Buzzwole when it turned into literally the same scene vs Oranguru, flared aura and some arm wrestling. Literally a repeat scene, after seeing how many of you were so hyped for that in the discussion thread, I wonder how disappointed it left you.
The Snorlax scene was a massive let down, it recovered with a potion? And berries...
To Buzzwole, was the whole bodybuilder showdown with Ash and Kiawe necessary? that's 20 seconds of my life wasted.
The battle was brief as fk and only Pikachu used, they caught it with one Beast Ball and Buzzwole didn't even take damage so the balls are Master Ball level?
The release was weird, Buzzwole just chose to leave and fly through the wormhole?
After that fake sell in the preview to make it seem like this episode would be serious, it was just a joke with so much elements seeming ripped off from other shows... That didn't even feel like Pokemon.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Why do they have to make comedy out of EVERYTHING? Just mind-boggling how even the Ultra beasts get this treatment. And of course the battles teased in the preview was nothing but a short 1 minute **** show. What a friggin' joke!

SM trying its best to become EVEN WORSE than BW. And it's doing a good f***ing job at it!
If you're familiar with its depiction in the games then you'd know that Buzzwole is MEANT to be comedic. One of its main attributes is that it flexes at everything, it even flexes when it faints.

This episode was bad, The AF remodeled the school into a Batmanesque secret base really? No
The weird material to make their suit which covers their actual clothes into tight fit suits? Weird and impractical.
The Aether Foundation itself is weird and impractical if you think about it, seems perfectly in character for Lusamine to do stuff like this. Besides, we've long known the technology in the pokemon world is quite advanced, hence the auto-clothes material.

How much of you all were expecting this big fight between Bewear and Buzzwole when it turned into literally the same scene vs Oranguru, flared aura and some arm wrestling. Literally a repeat scene, after seeing how many of you were so hyped for that in the discussion thread, I wonder how disappointed it left you.
As I recall there was no arm wrestling between Oranguru and Bewear, they faced off and then it handed Bewear what it came for.

The Snorlax scene was a massive let down, it recovered with a potion? And berries...
Why is that a let down? Pokemon recover in the games the same way and even in the anime it has happened many times. Did you expect it to die or remain disfigured?

The release was weird, Buzzwole just chose to leave and fly through the wormhole?
Why wouldn't it? Going back home is what most of the UBs want.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
If you're familiar with its depiction in the games then you'd know that Buzzwole is MEANT to be comedic. Ones of its main attributes is that it flexes at everything, it even flexes when it faints.

Exactly.

Heck, the games outright state that (most) Ultra Beasts are only as destructive as they are because they're in an unfamiliar location and are scared.

Honestly, this matches perfectly what the games portray them as.

They're not alien invaders, just strange creatures from other worlds forcibly taken from their homes and lashing out because they just want to go back to where they came from.