• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Set Off! You Are Our Ultra Guardians!! (1004)

xEryChan

Demon Child
This episode... it was interesting but I really did enjoy it.

Poipole is seriously adorable. I really cannot wait until it decides to stay with Ash because they have not been hinting about that, right? *wink wink*. I actually kind of wish it interacted with Ash rather than Pikachu but whatever, I’ll still take the Pikachu/Poipole interactions.

The soundtrack for this episode was great. Loved the music that played when Buzzwole appeared out of the Ultra Wormhole, it got me all excited for the battle between Buzzwole and Bewear. Not to mention the one when Ash and his classmates left to confront Buzzwole. The musical selection in this episode was great.

When you realize Ash and his classmates are basically the Power Rangers of the Pokemon Universe *inserts skeptical emoji here*

When exactly did the AF renovate the Pokemon School? More importantly, when exactly did they have the time to renovate the school? That was a little weird to me but it’s Pokemon so I’m not surprised.

The battle between Buzzwole and Bewear was rushed but honestly, I was not really expecting much out of it to begin with. It is still going to be known as the showdown of the century to me haha

This flexing match between Ash, Kiawe, and Buzzwole was hilarious. It distracted Buzzwole enough for Ash to catch it, only for him to release it anyway.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. I give it a 8.5. It was great, I loved it. I’m looking to when more of the Ultra Beasts appear.

p96822

Evolve me please
Also I forgot to said this, but Beawear and Buzzwole stick was completely and utterly pointless. It could have been cut out of the episode along side Team Rocket.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Finally saw this episode and I do have some things to say about this episode and not all of it is good. So, let me started with the things I liked.

I really enjoyed the part when Ash and his classmates basically morphed into the Power Rangers... I mean Ultra Guardians. It was interesting to see. But one thing that confused me is how on earth did the Aether Foundation renovate the school without Ash and his classmates knowing? Can someone tell me how because there is no way they could have done it during the school day without these characters knowing. It makes no sense.

I seriously loved how Ash and Kiawe interacted with Buzzwole. My gosh, that was so funny, I died laughing. Ash’s face when Rotom told him to catch it was so funny.

I think this episode should have been a two parter. It seemed like they crammed way too much into this twenty minute episode. The whole episode felt rushed to me from beginning to end, I hope I’m not the only one who thinks this. I definitely think it would have been better off if it was a two parter.

The whole between Buzzwole and Bewear felt so underwhelming and I was really looking forward to it. I thought it was going to take up more than just thirty seconds, especially since they went right to break when those two started wrestling. That was a big letdown to me. Hopefully Buzzwole will appear again and we can get more of a fight between Buzzwole and Bewear.

I give this episode a 7 out of 10. It could have been a great episode but the fact they rushed it really took away from it.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
But one thing that confused me is how on earth did the Aether Foundation renovate the school without Ash and his classmates knowing? Can someone tell me how because there is no way they could have done it during the school day without these characters knowing. It makes no sense.
Well the kids aren't the most observant characters, but moreover its a pretty common anime trope to have massive renovations occur rapidly without various characters noticing until they are done. In this case one could lampshade it was started during like a week long school break, and once they had the underground chamber to work in they could finish unobserved.

DatsRight

On a side note, the idea that Lusamine's Clefable might be a recurring assistant throughout the Ultra Guardian getup I suppose has potential to vindicate part of the AF arc. People weren't that invested in Lillie's bonding with Clefable since we never really saw much of it, but now it seems it might become a regular and may have more time to interact with everyone and become a proper character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Ultra Beast side quest from the Alola games was my favorite aspect of Sun and Moon, yet sadly this episode took whatever shred of urgency that said subplot had and made the Ultra Wormhole stuff seem like a non-event. I'm glad that we at least saw Massivoon, but the Super Sentai comedy routine made this episode displeasing.

Evanibble

Well I just have to let it out, sorry if it seems like I am ranting, I just have to get off some steam. I'll try not to bash:

So after all this time we have the perfect opportunity for Ash to catch and train a legendary tier Pokemon (not counting Goodra who's a psuedo legendary) and then you immediately have him release it.........after all this hype for the Ultra Beast arc, all this hype for Ash to catch and Ultra Beast and you have him get rid of it immediately afterwards? Wow I didn't think my respect for the writer's could sink any lower but congrats you found a way!!!!

I was honestly hoping for Ash to catch and train a few Ultra Beast, why? Because, and I am taking this from when Ultra Sun and Moon was in development, for Ultra Change but no the series status quo got in the way.

I know Alola has been trying to shake up the status quo, you could argue letting him catch a legendary tier Pokemon counts as part of it, but they don't let him keep it. This is why a lot of people including me prefer the games, because the games have evolved over time while the anime has remained largely the same, even the OVAs and spin-offs are better than this because you get new or "new" characters to root for.

If they wanted to have them return the Ultra Beast to Ultra Space couldn't of they, oh say have multiple of the same species attacking at once? so that way at least one could have stayed, it could've been like "oh hey this is an interesting" or "oh hey I like this trainer I think I'll stay" and the others could've been returned to Ultra Space.

Honestly stuff like this feels like an insult to the audience''s intelligence, that's right not just children's intelligence but the audience's in general.

All in all, I am very disappointed, here I was expecting some big changes but no.......the only Ultra Beast I would've been ok with them releasing immediately after being captured is Guzzlord do to being a living black hole

What show have you been watching? Did you honestly believe that Ash might catch (and keep) and Ultra Beast? Because if so, you're missing the entire point of the Ultra Beasts and you were seriously setting yourself up for disappointment. They're not meant to be caught and kept--they're from another world and want to go back. In-universe it makes so much less sense to keep them in a world where they know they don't belong, and know they shouldn't belong. Plus, you should know that Ash isn't the type of character to do what is wrong for a Pokemon out of a selfish desire to have strong Pokemon, he does what is best for the Pokemon. And no one in that universe would have done the same.

It also isn't poor writing to just have him release it at the end. It's what makes most sense in the universe. It's internally consistent, and that matters in story-telling.

Games =/= anime. Just because you can catch UBs in the game and keep them does not mean main characters in the anime would do the same. It's silly to hold the belief that you could equate the two.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Eh, I expected something half decent, but instead we got..

- Go Go Poké Rangers?
- Why can they never draw Altaria well?
- Two Ground types and a Fire type fly through a waterfall, unscathed.
- Rotom’s interactions were pointless, as usual.
- Bewear did literally nothing.
- Pointless Poipole inclusion..
- The posing. All the posing..
- Why aren’t the pseudo legendary ride Pokemon trained to battle in a situation like this?
- In fact, where did the ride Pokemon even disappear to after they spotted Buzzwole and Snorlax?
- Buzzwole threw Pikachu around, took a Thunderbolt, flexed and was caught. Yeah, great battle there..
- What should’ve been a more serious episode, like older legendary appearances, was actually a joke.

Hopefully the next one is done better. I imagine it’ll be Pheromosa or Xurkitree, with another unnecessary Poipole appearance..

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Eh, I expected something half decent, but instead we got..

- Go Go Poké Rangers?
- Why can they never draw Altaria well?
- Two Ground types and a Fire type fly through a waterfall, unscathed.
- Rotom’s interactions were pointless, as usual.
- Bewear did literally nothing.
- Pointless Poipole inclusion..
- The posing. All the posing..
- Why aren’t the pseudo legendary ride Pokemon trained to battle in a situation like this?
- In fact, where did the ride Pokemon even disappear to after they spotted Buzzwole and Snorlax?
- Buzzwole threw Pikachu around, took a Thunderbolt, flexed and was caught. Yeah, great battle there..
- What should’ve been a more serious episode, like older legendary appearances, was actually a joke.

Hopefully the next one is done better. I imagine it’ll be Pheromosa or Xurkitree, with another unnecessary Poipole appearance..

What exactly is so serious about Buzzwole? All that thing does is boast its muscles and nothing more lol.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
What? Nonsense. Ash has had multiple Pokemon so far who have awesome feats like beating epic Legendaries, commanded by high level trainers. Buzzwole won't even come in Ash's top 5 even if Ash captured it.

Pre-Training Buzzwole would've destroyed Sceptile and Snorlax and put up good fight against Infernape/Blazeape egding it out. He would lose to Greninja,Pikachu and Charizard.
Post-training Buzzwole I can see only behind A-G, with Ash using Z move(Fighting one) with Buzzwole and if it hits Greninja, Greninja would be done(same way Pikachu's 10 MV attack if it hits A-G would beat A-G.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Pre-Training Buzzwole would've destroyed Sceptile and Snorlax and put up good fight against Infernape/Blazeape egding it out. He would lose to Greninja,Pikachu and Charizard.
Post-training Buzzwole I can see only behind A-G, with Ash using Z move(Fighting one) with Buzzwole and if it hits Greninja, Greninja would be done(same way Pikachu's 10 MV attack if it hits A-G would beat A-G.
Based on what though? What did Buzzwole do in this episode that convinced you that it was stronger than a League sweeping Legendary Darkrai, whom Sceptile did majority of the work in bringing down? I certainly don't see Buzzwole defeating Sceptile at all. Among the members of Ash's Top 6, aka GPCISS, the only one I can see Buzzwole beating is Snorlax, and that too will be after a tough fight.

CMButch

Based on what though? What did Buzzwole do in this episode that convinced you that it was stronger than a League sweeping Legendary Darkrai, whom Sceptile did majority of the work in bringing down? I certainly don't see Buzzwole defeating Sceptile at all. Among the members of Ash's Top 6, aka GPCISS, the only one I can see Buzzwole beating is Snorlax, and that too will be after a tough fight.
UB are generally strong Pokemon, close to even legendaries. If legendaries like Silvally are created to battle them then they're on that realm.Sceptile beat Darkrai thanks to Heracross and Gible. If they didn't help;Sceptile would be beaten. After the battle; Sceptile was taken out by one attack from Latios.So two attacks from Darkrai and Sceptile would be done. Fresh Darkrai>Fresh Sceptile.
Pre-Training Buzzwole beating Snorlax would be mid diff. Lmao. Buzzwole is Bug and Fighting which has advantage over Snorlax. Snorlax is done. Pre-Training Buzzwole maybe we can say gets beaten by Sceptile, but he beats Infernape.But Post-Training(after Ash catches it and trains it) Buzzwole beats Sceptile and Charizard. Loses to 10 MV Pikachu and A-G.Pre training Buzzwole is; fifth place, while post training is third, taking away Sceptile's and Charizard's place.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
UB are generally strong Pokemon, close to even legendaries. If legendaries like Silvally are created to battle them then they're on that realm.Sceptile beat Darkrai thanks to Heracross and Gible. If they didn't help;Sceptile would be beaten. After the battle; Sceptile was taken out by one attack from Latios.So two attacks from Darkrai and Sceptile would be done. Fresh Darkrai>Fresh Sceptile.
Pre-Training Buzzwole beating Snorlax would be mid diff. Lmao. Buzzwole is Bug and Fighting which has advantage over Snorlax. Snorlax is done. Pre-Training Buzzwole maybe we can say gets beaten by Sceptile, but he beats Infernape.But Post-Training(after Ash catches it and trains it) Buzzwole beats Sceptile and Charizard. Loses to 10 MV Pikachu and A-G.Pre training Buzzwole is; fifth place, while post training is third, taking away Sceptile's and Charizard's place.
And Darkrai also healed twice with Dreameater, one of which was a OHKO on Heracross, so the healing was definitely quite significant in the case. Dreameater has shown to heal a significant amount of health in the anime before, like with Pikachu vs Agatha's Gengar. So yeah, Darkrai definitely was majorly healed. In a neutral 1 vs 1, Darkrai defeats Sceptile, but just barely, a.k.a., Sceptile is quite close to Darkrai's level.

Darkrai > Buzzwole definitely, a trained League sweeping Legendary compared to a wild UB.

And Infernape in its Blaze form would be a bit stronger that Sceptile and a challenge to E4 level Pokemon as well. Blaze Infernape with its raw power can easily overpower Tier 1 calibre powerhouses like Luxray and Electivire without any struggle, which some E4 level Pokemon would probably struggle to do that easily.

Buzzwole (as of this episode) literally has no business beating Sceptile and Blaze Infernape 1 on 1.

Charizard and Peakachu are defeating it a bit easier, Ash-Greninja is wiping the floor with it without much struggle, and so is 10MVT Pikachu with a direct hit from Z-move.

UB are pretty much on the same level as Tapus (confirmed by Haka in SM51). Tapu Koko did show quite some dominance against Pikachu, but that still was at the beginning of the series, when Pikachu isn't at his best. So still from the evidences in the anime there's nothing to suggest that they're any better than lower calibre Legendaries like Brandon's Regis.

I did say Buzzwole would beat Snorlax, but knowing how Snorlax stood up to a Fighting type FB, I bet it still definitely won't be too easy for Buzzwole.

All this I'm saying is about Buzzwole as of this episode. If Ash caught and trained it, then I bet it could've gotten a lot more stronger and been Ash's best, because Ash's training can lift a Pokemon to a much higher level than it actually is.

CMButch

And Darkrai also healed twice with Dreameater, one of which was a OHKO on Heracross, so the healing was definitely quite significant in the case. Dreameater has shown to heal a significant amount of health in the anime before, like with Pikachu vs Agatha's Gengar. So yeah, Darkrai definitely was majorly healed. In a neutral 1 vs 1, Darkrai defeats Sceptile, but just barely, a.k.a., Sceptile is quite close to Darkrai's level.

Darkrai > Buzzwole definitely, a trained League sweeping Legendary compared to a wild UB.

And Infernape in its Blaze form would be a bit stronger that Sceptile and a challenge to E4 level Pokemon as well. Blaze Infernape with its raw power can easily overpower Tier 1 calibre powerhouses like Luxray and Electivire without any struggle, which some E4 level Pokemon would probably struggle to do that easily.

Buzzwole (as of this episode) literally has no business beating Sceptile and Blaze Infernape 1 on 1.

Charizard and Peakachu are defeating it a bit easier, Ash-Greninja is wiping the floor with it without much struggle, and so is 10MVT Pikachu with a direct hit from Z-move.

UB are pretty much on the same level as Tapus (confirmed by Haka in SM51). Tapu Koko did show quite some dominance against Pikachu, but that still was at the beginning of the series, when Pikachu isn't at his best. So still from the evidences in the anime there's nothing to suggest that they're any better than lower calibre Legendaries like Brandon's Regis.

I did say Buzzwole would beat Snorlax, but knowing how Snorlax stood up to a Fighting type FB, I bet it still definitely won't be too easy for Buzzwole.

All this I'm saying is about Buzzwole as of this episode. If Ash caught and trained it, then I bet it could've gotten a lot more stronger and been Ash's best, because Ash's training can lift a Pokemon to a much higher level than it actually is.

Yeah, Darkrai did heal, I don't think he healed to the point where he was fresh, like he never battled before because that's be a magic/Reality Warping which is not. Yeah, Darkrai beats Buzzwole, since Darkrai is trained one.Blazeape is not stronger than Sceptile, since it lacks feats. Sceptile at least beat Darkrai who is sweeping gyms and trainers Pokemon in the league. Blazeape can't do that given how it lacks feats. Sure, he's visually portrayed as strong one, but so is Frieza from DBZ when he destroyed planet and SSJB Goku didn't. That doesn't mean Frieza from Namek saga beats SSJB.Same can be said for A-G vs Blazeape. Blazeape's FB and Electivire's ThunderPunch caused like a whirpool in the air and entire stadium,while A-G's OS and MCX's BB didn't. That doesn't mean their attacks are weaker. I thought you knew this ,since this is your speciality. Flint's Infernape did easily beat Ash's, while kinda had trouble with Pikachu.Buzzwole doesn't beat Sceptile, but does beat Infernape and Blazeape. Infernape mid diff and Blazeape high diff. That's probably misconception lol, Poipole is not on same level as Tapu. No boost Nihilego is not on same level as Tapus too.Kartana? Doubtful.

UBs like Buzzwole would beat gym leader's Pokemon and FB Pokemon barring Regis. So yes, he does beat Snorlax mid diff. With training? He beats them all Ash's Pokemon barring Pikachu and A-G and potential MXY/MCX.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ShinyCharyZard said:

While I'll admit that the skirmish felt somewhat lackluster, the fact that this is the SM series made it clear from the get-go that Satoshi and his friends catching the Ultra Beasts would focus more on amusement than exciting battles.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm surprised his name is Laki.. I thought it was just his character's name.

SO glad Kanto Vulpix appeared after so long. Felt Ash's egg quest was pointless for a while.

Wow a secret room like Kingsman

Their ears must be popping a lot on such a high speed and long elevator

OMG POWER RANGERS WHAT

Wait Lana's physically attracted to Buzzwole?

??? They didn't know Ultra Beasts were Pokémon?

It's so rare for healing items to be mentioned in the anime

Snorlax just deflated it as if it were a balloon

Why did Lillie have to announce that she's spraying the Full Restore?

How did they catch Buzzwole without weakening it?

Why are the boys' shorts so short?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
How did they catch Buzzwole without weakening it?
My best guess is that Ash and Kiawe helped bond with the Buzzwole by imitating its actions so it would be more willing to be captured especially if it was done by Ash.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
My best guess is that Ash and Kiawe helped bond with the Buzzwole by imitating its actions so it would be more willing to be captured especially if it was done by Ash.

Or they figured out how to talk to Buzzwole since that IS how it communicates.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Or they figured out how to talk to Buzzwole since that IS how it communicates.
However its Pokédex entries state that it shows off its muscles but according to its Sun entry, it is unknown if it is a boast or if it is indeed a threat. So that means it may not even be a communication method but it is shown that Ash and Kiawe have bonded with the Buzzwole.