• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Set Shiny Pokemon Reduce the Value of Randomly Caught Ones?

Serebii!

i say dont evolve a shiny Magicarp, it wont be as rare, if you dont want it, trade it to someone for something that is good

WishforaMilotic

Shiny Hunter~♥
I pulled out og the violet city a shiny magikarp the other day when fishing for a poliwag T_T shiny gyarados is now my enemy...
Am i the only one who always uses it as a HM slave ever since the G/S/C days?

Kojinka

An Inside Joke
I pulled out og the violet city a shiny magikarp the other day when fishing for a poliwag T_T shiny gyarados is now my enemy...
Am i the only one who always uses it as a HM slave ever since the G/S/C days?

No. Most of my main water pokemon are HM slaves.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
I personally think that i am seeing more and more people with shiny Gyarados(s)
Before like 3 years ago, i was like "Wooo! yeah!" when i finally got one but now...its not a big deal :L.. But however those gold little Magikarps seems to be a new favorite to shiny hunters :)

Moneyy

INACTIVE
The Red Gyrados is a good idea in my opinion, because even if you have a shiny magikarp, you don't have to evolve it, and even a preset shiny is still valuable.

Dark Eevee

I don't care about the rarity of Shinys I just like the way they look.
Shiny Gyarados is awsome and it's not like I'm going to be trading it.
Even then it's still a Shiny, and now you can get Shinys off the GTS, chain them, or clone them, not to mention all the hacks. So any value is already dimished.

Last edited:

Pansy :]

anustart
I think it ruins the purpose of a shiny, the point of a shiny is to get the feeling that you have caught something not many people have, its a really nice feeling and the red gyrados doesn't give you that feeling because its always shiny... for people saying it was to let people know that there were shiny's in gold and silver and they are keeping close to the original game... they shouldn't have had it in those games either... that is part of the joy of seeing a first shiny... u have no clue what it is... so u can either shut off your game and cry in the corner because you thought your game glitched and your save file was corrupted or something... man up, shiny's show that your not afraid of f***ing up your game just to see what happens, and i respect people who don't know what shiny's were when they caught thier first one... and for people who think it's unfair that not everyone knows about shiny's, so they might run... my second shiny used self destruct... and u know what i did??? i laughed

Dark Eevee

I think it ruins the purpose of a shiny, the point of a shiny is to get the feeling that you have caught something not many people have, its a really nice feeling and the red gyrados doesn't give you that feeling because its always shiny... for people saying it was to let people know that there were shiny's in gold and silver and they are keeping close to the original game... they shouldn't have had it in those games either... that is part of the joy of seeing a first shiny... u have no clue what it is... so u can either shut off your game and cry in the corner because you thought your game glitched and your save file was corrupted or something... man up, shiny's show that your not afraid of f***ing up your game just to see what happens, and i respect people who don't know what shiny's were when they caught thier first one... and for people who think it's unfair that not everyone knows about shiny's, so they might run... my second shiny used self destruct... and u know what i did??? i laughed

You ignored my post didn't you. Sure your first shiny is something special (I didn't know about Shinys till I caught my Shiny Slugma) but after that, not as much.
After I caught my first one I caught four and obtained about fifteen in trades. or over the GTS.
Plus I've cloned my Shiny Gengar, so I have about five of them, is their value decreased?

Last edited:

Indragon

Back in the USSR

That's fine and dandy, but maybe the Red Gyarados isn't supposed to give you "that feeling"? Maybe one has to just consider it as a different kind of special Pokemon? I don't see it lowering the value of randomly caught shinies.

Sarracenia

Pokémagpie Zog
While the argument is stupid, it is right. You can't exactly deny that a giveaway shiny reduces the value of other ones either. Think of what happens a lot of the time when shinies are brought into discussion: someone says "I only have 2 shinies, <one they got random encounter> and Gyarados!", and treats the Gyarados like it counts as a shiny.

In principle it's kind of like when a formerly rare card gets reprinted as a promo in a tin or similar, like with Garchomp Lv.X in the tin. Because the tin version is so easy to get, the original goes down to a similar value (though in Yu-Gi-Oh for example the price drop is less drastic).

But yeah no Pokémon has value anyway. The simple fact that cloning and hacking exist kind of ruin that, since most good pokémon trainers hack their pokémon anyway.