• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Seventh Pokemon?

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
So I've been playing through Platinum recently. Big mistake, there's just way too many Pokemon I want to use but don't have a spot on my team for. So in a nutshell, my question is this: Do you ever rotate in a seventh (or even an eighth) Pokemon during your playthroughs? How does it work out for you? What games do you think rotating Pokemon is feasible in?

DMerle

Guess who's back
I usually restrict myself to like 4/5 and keep the rest open for HM slaves but in Platinum i agree there's so much damn variety available.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
In my White, I started rotating the Pokemon in my Serperior/Conkelderp/Victini/Carracosta/Tranquill/Zoroark/Ferrothorn/Zekrom & Honchkrow/Lilligant/Scolipede/Seismitoad/Cinccino/Galvantula/Cobalion/Zekrom teams. And I rather liked it; 5th generation probably gives you the best options because there are just SO MANY POKEMON. atm I'm rotating my Snivy/Pupitar/Herdier/Duosion/Archen/Axew/Tynamo team, and I plan to catch a couple more. Levelling up isn't too bad, although I do do more grinding than normal.

The games that rotation is feasible in are probably:

R/B/Y
FR/LG
D/P/Pt
B/W

The levels in RSE and the Johto games are a bit too low to be worth rotating in. Hopefuly in BW2 the levels will be as high as BW. There's 300 freaking Pokemon. You could probably do a rotation of twelve (for two teams) if you really wanted to.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I find it hard keeping up with levels with my team of six, so I wouldn't do it if it were available. If levelling up were easier, I would be happy to do it.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I don't like to rotate; I want to keep my Pokemon with me all the time. But sometimes it's hard to choose just 5-6 (one slot being HM slave)

Also, keep in mind the more Pokemon you use in your team, the slower they'll grow. Experience will be spread more thinly among them. Assuming of course that you use them evenly, which I try to do. Otherwise you end up with one that's Level 50 and one that's falling behind at 34 or something.

This makes me think why we can't just have 7+ members on a team at once...

If we did, people would be asking why we can't just have 8. Then 9, then 10...

Theophilus

TheStupidestQuagsire
I usually keep a pokemon in my box for certain situations, like my Farfetch'd who is not usually that usuable, but when I need someone with a lot of physical attacks I put him in my party and demolish lots of faces

Gelatino95

Not a tool
No. OCD compels me to keep my pokemon all the same level (except starter, which is always exactly two levels above the rest) so rotating one out would cause lots of unnecessary compensating. Besides, if I don't get to use one pokemon, I can use it in a different file.

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
I dont rotate my Pokemon but i would like to if there were places where we can train them in early parts of game as most of the training places open only after beating Elite 4 for the first time.

Any pokemon that balances out my other mon's weakness' is very much needed on my team ^^

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
While it is feasible, the only time I've ever done a team rotation was in platinum. That was only because I didn't realise gliscor couldn't learn fly and I needed a fly slave.

I think the system is okay, but perhaps there could be a a couple more slots specifically designated for your HM slaves. Most of the HMs tend to be annoyingly weak and take up valuable move space.

Aegon

I used seven Pokémon in Platinum and it worked very well. The only downside was having to leave one behind to battle the Elite Four. In White, I have a team of about nine, but I usually keep the same five or so on my team at all times.