• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shades of Destiny: No Absolutes

Armored Zangoose

Yeah, I'm not going to start this with a huge speech or anything, but this is the longest I've ever written.It's probably bad though, as I'm notorious for writing boring, short chapters.

Note: Kevin, the character in the prolouge is not the main character. A character who first appears in the first chapter is.

Here Goes:

Prologue: The end of the beginning…

The Empire Collosseum…
Several historic battles that changed the world have occurred there.
Now….the site of those battles is the Empire Collosseum.
Surrounded by challenges to pokemon trainers, it is currently being used in a tournament to test for popularity of
the Neo Empire Colloseum.
This is the story of one trainer in that tournament, and three heroes whose lives take a turn for the worst when they encounter the enraged soul of the crescent moon…

A young man walked up a long marble staircase towards the Empire Collosseum. The Collosseum was pure white, and had two entrances. The building was obviously thousands of years old, for it was cracked and several bricks were missing. The seats, gold with bronzed cushions and silver lining, were packed. The man, Kevin, stood and looked at the size of the building in awe. His long, dark hair whipped in front of his face, a mess.
He wore a black leather jacket over a green shirt. He had fierce green eyes, and was wearing brown pants and white, pointed shoes. His heart contracted with fear and excitement. He had waited and fought so long for this day, and felt he earned it. He was ready to battle and win, to prove his support for the Neo Empire Collosseum, as he was eager for the ultimate challenge. Ready to show the world his skills he waited a minute, and walked into the grand collosseum.

The collosseum’s crowd roared and screamed for the battle. Tensions pulsed through their brilliant green veins- the result of having too many monsters. At the opposite end of the arena was a man around Kevin’s age. He had bright blue eyes, spiky yellow hair, and a prominent chin. He wore a brown trench coat and baggy black pants. Kevin noticed one of the man’s pokeballs was an unusual black color.

Pokeballs are round spherical objects used by pokemon trainers to capture pokemon. Pokemon are creatures that come in seventeen different types of normal, flying, electric, fire, water, grass, poison, steel, dark, bug, psychic, ghost, ground, rock, dragon, ice, and fighting. There are four-hundred and ninety three known pokemon. Pokemon trainers capture pokemon and use them for battling. There are also pokemon coordinators, who use there pokemon to create beautiful appeals, pokemon rangers, who use pokemon to preserve justice, pokemon professors researching the mysteries of pokemon, and ordinary people living alongside pokemon. Kevin and the man he store down were both trainers.

“Aaannnddd nnnooowww………. for the great, the final battle in the Empire Collosseum tournament…” boomed an announcer into his microphone. The audience screamed, but for Kevin and his opponent, who were sweating at great speed, the only sound was that of the two finalist’s heartbeats. “We have Kevin, of Jubilife City…” the announcer continued, and the crowd screamed. Kevin felt a rush of pride, and the other man, who to Kevin, was the only other soul in the world, gritted his teeth.
“And Bane of Citadark Isle.”

Everyone found this rather odd. Four years ago an evil organization named Cipher had attempted world domination through
closing the doors to the hearts of pokemon dubbing them “Shadow Pokemon”. Shadow pokemon acted like fighting machines and would attack humans. During the first “Shadow Incident” a young man named Wes and a girl named Rui had “snagged” or stolen all of Cipher’s shadow pokemon, defeated it’s leader Evice, and ended the threat. Cipher struck again however and used Citadark Isle as their base. That time, a teenager named Michael stopped them and defeated its new leader Greevil.

“The rules are simple. This will be a three-on-three double battle. Let this history- creating battle begin!!!” the announcer cried, snapping Kevin back into reality.
“You ready punk?” snorted Bane in a snide, over-confident voice.
“Ready as I’ll ever be.” said Kevin, hoping in his heart he wasn’t about to lose. Lose this most esteemed of battles.
No. Not now.
Now wasn’t the time to worry. Now was the time to battle.
“I’m ready.” He finished.
“Then let’s go.” Bane replied, finishing their before-match-greetings.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Veteran Trainer Kevin v.s. Shady Guy Bane
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Bane stares down Kevin solemnly and whips out two pokeballs
which he chucks at Kevin, as if to hit him in the face.]

Out of Bane’s pokeballs came a Houndoom and a Toxicroak.

Houndoom was a dark and fire type pokemon that looked like a dog with black fur, brown eyes, two sharp horns and two bones
across it’s back. Toxicroak looked like a purple and black frog on two legs with a sharp red edge sticking out of it’s chest.

“Hmm. I guess I’ll have to chose wisely for such an important battle. Go Blaziken and Ninjask!”

Near Kevin two more pokemon hit the stage. Blaziken was shaped like a human, had fire red skin, and yellow hair sticking out in an upside down-v shape, and a fiery look in its amber eyes. Ninjask was a tiny bug pokemon that looked like a sleek black tube with two flat wings with crimson tips, luminous red eyes, and golden armor on its face and its six legs.

“Okay, Ninjask, use Aerial Ace, and make it quick! Blaziken, show Houndoom a sky uppercut!”

“I don’t think so. Houndoom and Toxicroak use Close Combat and Crunch respectively as his pokemon come close.”

Blaziken rushed over to Houndoom and tried to deliver a quick left hook, but Houndoom clamped on to its arm. Blaziken cringed in terrible pain.
Ninjask flew towards Toxicroak who punched the tiny bug’s underside, but the fast Aerial Ace made contact. Toxicroak was still in pretty good shape, but Ninjask and Blaziken’s pain was getting to them.

“Hmph. Dirty trick. Ninjask, Silver Wind now!”

Ninjask beat it’s tiny wings like their were no tomorrow, and a spiral of shining winds burst from behind Ninjask, striking both Houndoom and
Toxicroak.

“Heh, it’s not over yet. Toxicroak Poison Jab now!”

Toxicroak’s fist turned a pale shade of purple and sunk it’s fist into
Blaziken’s stomach.

“You leave me no choice. Ninjask agility, and Blaziken, Earthquake!!!”

Ninjask’s body began to vibrate and move at nearly twice its average speed. Blaziken did a backflip and pounded the ground with both fists. Jagged rocks erupted from the ground causing severe pain to both Houndoom and Toxicroak. Ninjask however flew right over it. When the rocks sank back into the ground Houndoom and Toxicroak lay on the ground unconscious.

The announcer once again blared out the obvious as Bane withdrew his pokemon and pulled out his black
pokeball and threw it.

“How dare you drive me down to my last pokemon. Salamence come! Put them in their place!”

“Hmm. Salamence. Not a hard opponent.”

This Salamence was abnormal and terrifying however.

Normally the pokemon Salamence had light blue skin with bright red wings and could crush the average Blaziken with one foot.
This Salamence was twice the size of a normal Salamence, was bright green instead of blue, and could crush the average Salamence with one foot.

“What is wrong with that Salamence!?”

“Heh heh. You like? Witness it’s full power! Salamence, Earthquake!”

Salamence trampled the ground and bashed it with his tail, unleashing four large quakes. The large amount of power knocked Blaziken out, and the sheer force of the quakes created powerful shockwaves that knocked out Ninjask.

“No way… how can that thing do that!? Blaziken, Ninjask return! Go Cr… no wait, go Murkrow!”

Kevin recalled his two pokemon and sent out a third pokemon. This one, Murkrow, was a small bird with hazy black feathers, red eyes, a sly grin, and three spikes on its head that looked like a small hat.

“You’re going to use THAT shrimpy bird to fight MY Salamence? Hah!”

“You won’t be laughing for long! Murkrow, Aerial Ace!”

Murkrow lifted it’s two wings, which were glowing white, and flew towards Salamence, but landed with it’s wings no longer glowing before reaching the other pokemon.

“Uh, I forgot, my Murkrow doesn’t know Aerial Ace…”

“To late for that! Ahahaha, say goodbye punk!”

Bane whispered a command to Salamence who roared in response.

The room was cold, dark and quiet.

There were no lights, the only thing inside was a metal, hard chair that he was sitting in.

He wondered who he was, what he looked like…

He had never left that chair since the fateful day…

He wondered how long it was…

He never spoke, never let breathe escape him…….

He could stop his thoughts and shut off his mind.

He wondered if he existed, if reality was just a dream…

Who cared about him?

Certainly not his keeper, and he had to wonder if Darkrai was alive or a thing devoid of life.

Darkrai…

That’s what the thing called itself…

It was the black of the darkness, and what his keeper called space.

The fingers curled in a way as if it was saying they could rip out a soul.

Not that he thought the thing called a soul existed…

The opposite of Darkrai’s skin, it was a pale white strip of hair behind the dark spikes that were Darkrai’s ears.

The Red Chain the thing wore embodied wisdom, like the blazing courage in Darkrai’s eyes…

Darkrai wasn’t the same thing as him and his keeper…

Yes…. Darkrai couldn’t care, couldn’t love anyone…

Let alone him…

Maybe his keeper, another one who seemed devoid of life…

But was there anyone else? Or was it just the keeper, Darkrai, and him?

He had to wonder…

He wondered about a lot of things…

Was he alive?

Do souls exist?

He wondered if he even wondered…

The sea was warm and quiet. The sky was calm but a large black helicopter flew across it.

Inside everything was black, except some flashing objects. Two men spoke through a visual screen in front of the window.

“… my lord?” said the man in the helicopter, who wore a blue a grey silky robe, had short blue hair, and dark shades covering his eyes.

“Yes Ardos?” responded the other man.

“I have successfully located Manaphy sir.” said Ardos.

“Good. Where’s Bane?” questioned the second voice.

“Still at the Collosseum testing his Salamence sir.” responded Ardos.

“Fine. You are excused.”

“My lord?” asked Ardos.

“What is it Ardos?” asked the man.

“I have also located Darkrai sir.” said Ardos in an air of confidence and importance.

“…Dark…rai? I can’t’… I don’t… Very well. Capture Darkrai and Manaphy and bring them to me. The success of your mission may procure you a promotion Ardos.” said the man.

“Yes my lord.” finished Ardos as the visual screen turned off.

He sat, unmoving, in the chair still wondering.

When would the keeper stop by?

And what would the keeper do to him?

It was then that the door to the room slid open.

There was his keeper, and a man he had never seen before.

So there were more living beings…

“This is Ardos.” said his keeper.

He did nothing but stare at Ardos.

Ardos walked forward to speak.

“So… where is Darkrai?” said the man named Ardos.

He just looked at Ardos. He couldn’t stop his thinking for some reason.

“Well?” asked Ardos.

He just looked at him, until he remembered Darkrai.

Blank shock went on his face, and he wanted to do something, but he couldn’t move, couldn’t speak.

“If you don’t tell me where Darkrai is…” started Ardos, reaching for his belt.

“I’m right here.” hissed a new voice, one borne with rage.

He stared. There was Darkrai, with a menacing glare into what his keeper would say is Ardos’s soul.

“Darkrai…ahahahaha…ahahaha… you’re a fool Darkrai.” said Ardos. “You’re such a fool to come here.”

Back in the Collosseum Kevin was deciding his move.

“… I’ve got it. Murkrow, Wing attack, then haze!” cried out Kevin.

Murkrow flew up, spun around, and released two small gales of wind at Salamence. Murkrow then cried out and released a murky, sludgy, thick, fog.

“Now Salamence, attack!” cried out Bane.

“Mmmmeeennnccccceeeennnncccceee!!!!!!” cried Salamence.

Bane’s Salamence’s body glowed bright red and it bashed a wall with it’s head.

The result? Chaos rained.

As soon as Salamence hit the wall the ground below the beast’s feet gave way and flames rained from the ground engulfing the arena.

When the fire dissipated, and the smoke disappeared Murkrow was perfectly unharmed.

“WHAT!? YOU CHEATED!!! THAT MOVE ISN’T SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO BE PROTECTED AGAINST!!!” screamed Bane in anguish.

“Hey, you can’t blame me! That didn’t fit the description of any legal move! And besides-” started Kevin, but Bane wasn’t finished with his tirade.

“DON’T YOU TRY THAT WITH ME CHEATER!!! I KNOW WHAT’S LEGAL AND WHAT’S NOT!!!” Bane ranted on. “I CAN DECIDE HOW TO BATTLE MYSELF, THANKS!!!” he spat. “SALAMENCE!!! USE THE OTHER SPECIAL MOVE!!!”

Salamence opened it’s mouth and a dark glow started to form in it’s mouth.

“Now Murkrow! Wing attack!” cried Kevin.

Murkrow flew backwards and sent two more gales at Salamence, which did little-to-no damage.

Bane gritted his teeth. “Keep charging Salamence…”

Kevin didn’t know how to win. He had to ask Murkrow how to use an extremely powerful attack, but he had just captured the pokemon a few weeks ago, and was at a much lower level then his other pokemon. “Well…I have no choice. Murkrow… use Brave Bird.”

Murkrow just stared at it’s trainer. …Brave Bird? The MOST POWERFUL of all flying-type attacks? Did Kevin think the pokemon could pull it off? As if. But it would have to try.

Miraculously, the small bird was able to summon to fly at the large dragon, pulsating with extreme power.

“Gah! What!?” screamed a dismayed Bane. “Quickly Salamence!”

The dragon blasted a beam of jagged black lightning into the face of Murkrow, and smoke erupted.

Ardos was staring at Darkrai maliciously.

His plan was perfect. All would be as planned when the ultimate result of their toils was finished.

“Come Darkrai.” he said.

“No…” hissed the pokemon.

‘Hmph. You are a pathetic pokemon. You are below me. Therefore you shall do as I say. COME.” Ardos demanded.

“No.” hissed Darkrai again.

“Fine. I shall take you by force. Heracross, come!” said Ardos as he threw a pokeball.

Out of the pokeball came a blue beetle on it’s hind legs with a large horn on the end of it’s head.

“Hera, heracross!” cried the heracross.

“Pathetic…” said Darkrai. It formed a dark sphere crackling with energy and fired it at Heracross.
Heracross fell to the ground. Darkrai formed another sphere and threw it at Ardos. Ardos tried to dodge it, but got hit, and the sphere also hit the keeper.

Darkrai turned towards the boy in the metal chair. “Come.” The pokemon said.
The boy just stared, but then got up and walked with Darkrai…

Kevin covered his eyes. He took a chance and opened them.

The smoke was cleared.

Salamence was battered and bruised, but still standing. Murkrow, on the other hand, had fainted.

“Ha! I win fool!”

“I don’t believe it…”

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Well, ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!! Here he is, champion of Empire Collosseum! Bane!” cried the announcer.

“Hmph. Pathetic.” said Bane, looking… angry? Concerned?

Bane recalled Salamence and stormed out of the arena. Kevin recalled Murkrow to the bird’s pokeball and left the arena as well.

New Bark Town was a quaint town, with many trees, few people, and a happy spirit. Among the people in the town lived Professor Elm, a pokemon researcher who studied pokemon eggs, and a young seven-year old named Steven.

Steven was a short boy with brown hair and blue eyes. He was also pretty skinny for his age. But he was happy with his life. Johto, his home region was a nice place, he enjoyed helping Prof. Elm with research, and had a pokemon, a Heracross, that was playful and he got along with, and ironically hatched the same day Steven was born.. There was no other place as good to him as Johto.

But his life was about to change.

Steven was sitting in his room, decorated with famous souvenirs from Johto, in an energetic conversation about pokemon battle tactics with his Heracross when his father came in.

Steven’s father had blue eyes darker then Steven’s, and dark black hair.

“Steven?” his father asked.

Steven looked at his father. “Yes Dad?” the boy asked.

“Well son, I don’t know how to explain this to you but I’m sure you’ll be happy with what I know about the place, and you’ll have a good education, and I hate to say it so brutally, but it’s for the best. Steven…” his father said before yawning. “…were moving.”

Steven fell on top of Heracross upon hearing the news.

“No.” Steven said, shaking his head. “No. I hate everywhere but Johto. You know that Dad. No.”

Steven’s father’s eyes narrowed. “Now listen to me son. We’re moving. Nothing you say can change that. So-“

“No. Just no.”

“Now listen to me young man. We are moving to a better place for you and you are going to like it? Understand me?”

Kevin sat at a table in the pokemon center, nearby the arena, waiting for his pokemon to be healed. The center was white walled and tiled, with several silver tables trainers were sitting at. A pink-haired nurse with a pink pokemon shaped like an egg called Chansey was explaining (for the 50th time that week) to a boy that they’d never met before, and he was referring to her sixty-fourth identical cousin.
He turned his head and saw…Bane. Bane was sitting alone with his Houndoom, gritting his teeth. Kevin noticed that the black pokeball containing his Salamence was gone, replaced by a normal pokeball. Kevin wanted to know where the odd Salamence had gone.

Kevin got up and walked over to Bane. “Hey… uh Bane?” he asked.
Bane looked up and gritted his teeth. “Oh. Just you.” Bane spat. Kevin ignored this dirty comment and continued. “Uh… I noticed your pokeball with Salamence was gone.” Bane snarled as Kevin continued. “So…what happened to it?” Bane continued snarling for a few minutes, and then replied. “Humph. It was weak. A flawed specimen. I got rid of it for this Aggron.” Said Bane, and he held up another pokeball.

“Got…rid of it? You can’t just get rid of pokemon!” yelled Kevin, but Bane just grinned. “Why not? Pokemon ARE just tools for battling. They’re
just disposable items for humans.” he said. Kevin was about to retort, but Bane just pushed him aside and left the pokemon center…

END PROLOUGE.

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Hax-Mence. How n00blet is Bane, anyways? Yeah, likely a ShadowMence, but still, it is a nice point to give the point of how big it was.

Crushing the average Salamence with a foot? I hate to think of his Wailord, then...as or the fic, it's a nice opener, and methinks that Steven would be the protagonist. Why Bane has a lack of brain troubles me greatly. He's probably considering going to Poketopia with his team and HaxMence would be banned. I assume that the 'black lightning' is either a Shadow move or Dragon Pulse. The headbutt thing, maybe Zen Headbutt?

All in all, a nice opener.

Armored Zangoose

Why Bane has a lack of brain troubles me greatly.

I wanted Bane to appear asan idiot who will blame anyone if he messes something up.

By the way, there was supposed to be a line between certain spots, like in between Kevin's battle, and the parts with the guy who has a connection to Darkrai.

The headbutt thing, maybe Zen Headbutt?

Zen headbutt? Nope. Another mysterious attack.

The first chpater won't be up for a while, as I've got a lot of school work for over vacation.