• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shadow and Light

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Mew-Mew: Why, thank you! :) Since you reviewed more than once, I'm going to add you to the PM list. :)

Eon Master: Do you remember Sarah? She's from the original series. :) You'll find out more about Eterna in the next chapter. Gardenia may appear later, too. Yeah, the chateau was a good setting for this chapter and for Halloween. XD

Oh, and about the part with Darkrai. Katie's angelic side isn't going to kill her. Darkrai was urging Katie to kill her angelic side and turn to her demonic side. Still, choosing to be an angel may have repurcussions for her in the future...

Thanks for reviewing and thank you for your good luck wishes for my term paper....I'm going to need them...chapter nine up soon! :)

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Oh yeah! She was a member of the Legendary Team during the raid on Citadark Isle in Chapter 1 of your very first fic! I think...

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
Hey, just thought I'd pop in to tell you I've caught up. Should be studying for my finals, but sssh =P

I liked the battle between Apollo and Katie's demon form, but I've noticed none of your battles have been very long yet. Chuck in some nice epic long ones somewhere and I'll be happy =)

Guessing Colin's some kind of bad guy, but that could just be all the coincidences of meeting making me paranoid. So yeah, hope you're doing well with the next chapter.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
I am SO ready for Thanksgiving vacation…

Chapter Nine

After gathering up the still-shaking duo of David and Samantha, Katie followed Sarah to her home in Eterna City. A large flower patch spread out behind her home, housing several Vileplume and Bellosum. Katie watched Sarah closely as she busied herself in the kitchen making tea to warm the trio of teenagers up. From closer inspection, Katie guessed Sarah had some Irish Aquapolian blood in her veins. Katie had always been interested in Aquapolians from other countries and their heritages.

“Now…that we’re all settled and calmed down,” Sarah said after everyone had taken their first sip of tea. “I guess we should talk history before battles.” Katie and David grinned, remembering that the woman that had saved them was the Eterna gym leader.

“I guess I should start with the day we first met. I was born and raised on Orre Island in the Orange Archipelago, the site of the two Shadow Conspiracies. For some reason, I have the strange ability to sense Shadow energy, so the Cipher at the time saw me as a threat and tracked me down in Phenac City. Kris was there at the time, investigating the Cipher’s activities. The syndicate sent a fire-type to Phenac, hoping to eliminate me quickly, but when Kris saw me struggling to beat the agent off, she stepped in and defended me. Sent him packing, too.

“Kris had the ability to instantly sense the Aquapolians who were to be part of the Legendary Team, so when she detected me as a member, I decided to join her in the Cipher investigation. Afterward, though, I blended into the team. I really wasn’t as close to Kris as her other traveling partners were.”

“So, how did you become the Eterna gym leader? I heard you were originally a coordinator,” Samantha said.

“Well, about twenty years ago, the gym leader of Eterna was Gardenia Eterna. You mentioned something, Katie, about a list…may I ask what it is a list of?”

“Oh, of course. Professor Rowan gave me a list of all of the members of the Legendary Team and other people who knew my mother!” Katie drew the list out of her bag and skimmed over the names on it. “Yeah, Gardenia Eterna is on here!”

“She would be a good person to talk to about the aftermath.”

“The what?”

“What took place after the war. Now…I take it I have two challengers?”
“I’m first!” David exclaimed, leaping to his feet.

“Wa…Wait, I…”

“Then, we should head over to the gym,” Sarah said.

A few minutes later, David and Sarah stood across the gym floor from each other.

“The gym battle between David McCauley of Veilstone City and the gym leader Sarah will now begin. This will be a one-on-one battle. The challenger will choose his Pokemon first.”

“Go, Rapidash!” David shouted, releasing his fire-type.

Sarah smiled and took a Poke Ball from her belt. With a flourish reminiscent of her coordinator days, she flung it into the arena, releasing a Ludicolo. David frowned for only a split second, cringing over the fact that he would have the disadvantage in the match. Then, his face set into a look of determination. He was not going to let a type disadvantage get in his way.

“Rapidash, Fire Spin!” He shouted. Since Ludicolo was also a grass-type, fire attacks would still hurt it. The fire tornado surged across the gym floor at ferocious speed, burning the grass that made up the arena to a crisp.

“Hydro Pump!” Sarah shouted. Seconds before the Fire Spin reached his side of the gym, Ludicolo unleashed a torrent of water from his mouth, putting the attack completely out. Rapidash nimbly dodged the attack as it streaked across the arena.

“Ludicolo, Zen Headbutt!” Ludicolo dashed across the arena, head forward as energy whipped up around him. David smiled. This was his chance.

“Hypnosis!” He shouted. Rapidash cried out and opened his eyes wider, the fiery red color of his iris’ swirling to create a hypnotic effect. Ludicolo tripped as his eyes met Rapidash’s. With a thud, he landed face first on the floor, snoring loudly. “Megahorn!” Rapidash wasted no time in attacking. Now that his opponent was sound asleep, he had nothing to fear from Ludicolo’s Hydro Pump. The fire-type slammed into the sleeping Pokemon, causing him to fly across the arena and slam to the ground with a heavy thud.

“Ludicolo is unable to battle. The challenger and his Rapidash win this match,” the electronic referee declared. David walked onto the field and ran a hand over his Rapidash’s coat, praising him for a job well done.

“My, I haven’t seen a Rapidash use an attack like that in years,” Sarah commented after she had checked Ludicolo to make sure he had not suffered any major injuries. “Very clever.” She turned to the bleachers where Katie and Samantha sat. “Katie, are you ready?”

Katie jumped out of the stands and onto the grass floor, retrieving one of her Poke Balls from her belt. “I’m ready!”

“This battle will be between the challenger Katie Karasuma from Snowpoint City and the gym leader Sarah Reynolds!” The electronic referee blared. “The gym leader will choose her Pokemon first.”

“Leafeon, let’s go!” She shouted, releasing her star grass-type. Katie tensed up, and reminded herself that she had faced Leafeon before. Though Samantha’s and Sarah’s Leafeon were trained differently, they still held some strengths and weaknesses in common to their species.

“Go, Blaziken!” Katie released her star fire-type. Blaziken towered over Leafeon, his blue eyes locked on the fox-like Pokemon in front of him. Leafeon backed up a step, then hissed at his opponent.

“Leafeon, Shadow Ball!” Sarah shouted. Leafeon sprang back and released a large orb of shadow energy from his mouth. Blaziken dodged, swinging around to kick Leafeon, who dodged in mid-air. “Razor Leaf!” Though the attack was not enough to deal serious damage to Blaziken, it distracted him long enough for a Shadow Ball to make contact with its target.

“Blaze Kick!” Katie shouted. Leafeon dodged Blaziken’s kick once again, wincing when the flames burnt one of his legs. He landed hard on the floor, unable to dodge Blaziken’s next Blaze Kick. In a spout of flames, Leafeon flew through the air and landed with a hard thud on his burned leg, luckily not breaking it in the process. Sarah frowned and took her Pokemon’s Poke Ball from her belt, recalling him before he took any more damage. It just did not do to let one’s burned Pokemon continue to battle.

“The gym leader has recalled her Pokemon from the match. The challenger and her Blaziken secure the victory in this battle.”

As the electronic referee announced her win over the loudspeaker in the gym, Katie ran over to Blaziken and gave him a big hug. “Nice job! You did great!” She recalled the fire-type as Sarah walked to her.

“Nice job. Here you go. Both you and David have earned the Forest Badge.” Sarah placed a glittering green badge in Katie’s hand. “Now, before you leave town, there’s someone you need to talk to.”

Sarah led them out of the gym to a small house near a field of flowers. She knocked on the front door. The wood was smooth and carved with different images of grass Pokemon. A Bellosum danced under an image of a jumping Leafeon. The two largest images were of the legendaries Celebi and Shaymin.

The door opened suddenly, and the grass elements were pushed from Katie’s view. A woman with short brown and black hair glanced over the group of Aquapolians, a wary look in her eye. She was slightly shorter than Sarah, but still held a strong presence similar to the gym leader’s. Her brown eyes surveyed the group as a slow smile creeped across her face.

“Who have you brought to see me, Sarah?” She asked, straightening the short green poncho she wore over a black shirt. She wore brown shorts and hiking boots as well, perfect for hiking over Coronet.

“This is Katie Karasuma, one of my challengers at the gym today.” Katie bowed slightly to the woman, who gave her a pleasant smile. “And this is David McCauley, another of my challengers, and Samantha Lynn, a coordinator.”

“Welcome!” She opened the door wider. “Come on in. I’m Gardenia Eterna. Nice to meet you all.” Katie’s eyes widened slightly as she recognized the name. This was the former gym leader of Eterna.

The house was small, but cozy, with one large room that housed a kitchen and a den and two guest rooms off to the side. A Turtwig sat beside the fireplace, fast asleep. They sat around the kitchen table.

Gardenia wasted no time in formalities. “You must be Kris and Kirio’s daughter. You have your mother’s eyes…though you carry yourself much like Kirio.” Katie was not used to people comparing her to her father. Usually, they spoke only about Kris. “I met Kris only once during her travels here in Sinnoh for the Diamond Conference. She was a powerful trainer and swept through my team with her Blaziken.” She sighed. “She had trained that fire-type for years, and I must admit my grass-types were no match for a fire element his level.”

“So, she had a Blaziken, too…” Katie murmured. Her battling style was always compared to Kris’, mostly because they used most of the same Pokemon.

“Oh, yes. Kris preferred the fast and hard-hitting Pokemon. She always trained her Pokemon in speed, attack, and special attack. Anyway, after our gym battle, I never met up with her personally again. I met Kirio when he challenged my gym during the Diamond Conference. He had a powerful Weavile, I remember. I didn’t really know him until the aftermath of the war.”

“The aftermath of the war?” Katie asked, a confused look crossing her face. She knew what the Great War was, but she had no idea that anything important had happened after it.

Sarah and Gardenia gave each other a knowing look. Katie looked from one to the other, worry growing in her mind. What were they not telling her?

“The aftermath of the war shook the entire planet,” Gardenia said. “Mostly because when Kris died, she was trapped in another dimension.”

“In another dimension?”

Gardenia nodded. “It’s a bit difficult to explain. Just imagine being trapped in a room secluded from all other people or things in the universe.”

“Exactly why was she trapped?” Katie asked, leaning forward. Her full attention was focused on Gardenia’s story. Her Aquapolian crystal eyes sparked with curiosity.

Unfortunately, Gardenia was not about to satisfy her curiosity at the moment. “That comes later on in the story. Anyway, as the result of Kris’ entrapment, the six legendary Pokemon who represented the six powers of the Earth disappeared, leaving the six powers free to be contained in different vessels. The Demon Council took this chance to destroy the legendaries by placing their powers into human vessels, then killing them. I was one of them. I held the power of the sky, Lugia’s power. But…I’m not really the best expert on the situation. You need to speak to others about this.”

Katie nodded as Sarah stood up. “Thank you very much, Gardenia.”

“Oh, yes, thank you!” Katie hurridly added, rising to her feet.

“Oh, it’s no problem.” Gardenia smiled. “Good luck in the Platinum Conference.”

------------

That night, Katie lay awake in her bed at the Pokemon Center, thinking about what Gardenia had told her. She wondered why Kris had been trapped after the Great War. An image of the bloody woman in white flashed through her mind, and she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to erase it.

------------

The next day, Katie, David, and Samantha said good-bye to Sarah and Gardenia and headed toward Mt. Coronet.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
I really have to find new discriptive adjectives for your work, otherwise me saying "Holy crap, this is awesome," is going to get a bit dull.

I do like your battle strategies, but they always come out being so short. It's as though you're making both Pokemon Ubers and duking it out in Platnium version, OHKO's galore here. One hit should not win a battle.

The bit at the end is leaving me wondering about what is going through Katie's head right now. Is it maybe:
She's going to surrender to her demonic side and then her friends are going to have to get her back? It seems plausible, you made Kirio turn good, so why not make Katie evil? Also, judging from what Zadros said in his review, could Colin be the one who convinces her to let her demonic blood flow free? I do think that'd make a great plot twist.

Maybe I'm extrapolating a bit though.

Another excellent chapter. Good work, and I'm ready for Thanksgiving break too! :)

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
I was almost finished when I got the PM =)

Haha, Gardenia, I remember her lol. I liked the chapter, but other than talking to the two people on the list and gym battles, not a lot happened. Of course, if you had huge plot twists every chapter it wouldn't be as fun when they came along, right? I dunno, I guess I'd like to see Katie's travelling partners developed a little more. Maybe some of their Pokemon too.

And longer battles =) These were a bit longer than the previous ones, but still a bit truncated.

The next one will see you into double digits =D

Mew-mew

Vocaloid Fan
The story was great :) 10/10 I can not wait to find out why Kris was trapped. I did not read aftermath but I will probably read it sooner or later.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Eon Master: Yeah, I really need to start toning the uber stuff down. I know I said that since the trainers in this fic are experienced, but they aren't uber at all. The next gym battle and contest should yield longer battles...if my attention span can stand it. XD I have such a short one... As far as the spoiler goes...I'm not going to say anything. ;) I'll let you figure it out in time, my friend. Thanks for your review!

Zadros: Yes, Samantha and David should be expounded more on in the future episodes. Maybe a little romance? Maybe a bit? XD IDK. As I said, battle will be longer. Nice to see you back and reviewing! :)

Mew-Mew: Yeah, if you read Aftermath, you'll find out, so it's really not that much of a spoiler, to tell the truth. :)

Next chapter up sometime soon...very soon..hopefully

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Hey, I've been a closet reader for a while, and I decided to make myself known. Hi!

This is an amazing story, btw. I'm impressed with the plot. Description is a little iffy, but the plot is just... wow. I'm blown away.

A couple things I'm confused about:

1) What is Aquapolis? I know you've written more stories, but I barely have enough time to read anything with school and my volunteer job. Sorry.

2) What are fire-types, light-types, etc?

That's about it for now. May I join the PM list, if you have one?

10/5. Keep it up!;492-s;

EDIT: Rank up!!!

Last edited:

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Yay! A closet reader! :) Of course, I'll add you to the PM list.

1.) Aquapolis is a fictitious country I created that houses the regions of the Pokemon world in all of the main games. It is placed south of Japan in the real world and is divided into six regions: Kanto, Orange Archicipelago, Jhoto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Ever Grande (the capital).

2.) Fire-types, light-types, etc. are basically the types of Pokemon that each Aquapolian houses. For example, Samantha is an electric-type, which means she was born with the abilites of electric Pokemon.

Thank you for your review! :) Chapter Ten should be up by the end of the week.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Happy early Veteran’s Day to everyone! I mention this because I have several veterans in my family, and our annual Veteran’s Day service was held at school today. We really need to honor our troops today and tomorrow and remember the brave soldiers stationed at Fort Hood. I trust most of you have heard what happened at Fort Hood last week, so I will leave you to your prayers in regard to that tragedy.

On to this week’s chapter. This seems to be a bit more like a Valentine’s Day chapter that I should have reserved for next February, but I took it we all need a little love to cheer us up during the winter months. David and Samantha are not as spotlighted as I would have liked in this chapter, but we get to learn a bit more about our favorite white-haired trainer whom Katie has a crush on.

Chapter Ten

Warm arms wrapped around his chest, enclosing him in a cloak of warmth that made every muscle in his body relax. Aquapolian crystal eyes looked up into his own dark ones. She smiled, and he felt his heart pound in his chest as he drew her closer.

“When will you come to see me?” He whispered as he buried his face into her sweet-smelling blonde hair. She smelled like fresh rainwater and cherry blossoms.

“Soon, my love, soon…” She lifted her head and their lips met softly. He wished she were closer to him. She felt so far away…

As his hands lifted her hair away from her neck, they brushed against something sticky and warm. He suddenly drew back as scarlet red blood dripped down her neck and her chest…

“No!” He shouted, his voice reverberating off of the glass walls of his office. He glanced around, confused. Why had he fallen asleep at his desk? He groaned. He hadn’t slept in days…Ever since Max’s computer system had been broken into, and Cyrus’ copy of the ceremony to awaken Giratina had been stolen, he hadn’t been able to go to sleep at night. He constantly worried about who had stolen the file, what their intentions were, and whether or not they would go after Katie.

He stood up and stretched, looking out at the cloudless noon-day sky overhead. Katie should, at that time, be close to Coronet. That thought sent another shiver down Kirio’s spine as the haunting and bloody image of the Temple of Dimension flashed through his mind. Once again, his distrust and silent hatred of the power of space grew.

------------

Katie breathed in the rich smell of cherry blossoms, sighing at the pink beauty of the trees that surrounded the path. It was time for the Cherry Blossom Festival, and she was in a sort of quiet, romantic mood. She had called Colin the night before, and they had agreed to meet up at the festival being held on the Oreburgh side of Coronet.

Katie smiled as David stole another blushing glance at Samantha. She hoped that her two traveling partners would spend some time alone while she was with Colin. They needed to.

They finally reached the large clearing at the base of the mountains where the Cherry Blossom Festival had been set up. Shops and stalls dotted the clearing, hosting trainers and coordinators alike. In the distance, Katie could spy several athletic fields and a tennis court. Several tournaments were already underway. Pokemon roamed freely, taking a break from their busy battling and training routines.

Katie spotted Colin’s white head near a food stall, and her heart started to beat wildly. She yearned to run to him and throw her arms around his neck, but she held back. Her Pokemon would love this opportunity to relax and distress. “Okay guys, you’re free to do what you want today,” she said as she released her Umbreon, Piplup, Blaziken, Sceptile, and Blastoise.

David grinned and took his cue from Katie, releasing his Jolteon, Turtwig, Poliwrath, and Rapidash. Samantha’s Leafeon, Chimchar, and Mawile joined the group as well. They broke off into smaller groups and raced away, leaving their trainers to themselves.

“There’s Colin…” Katie said, motioning to the food stand. “You two have fun!” David blushed and Samantha smiled as Katie raced down the hill.

“Hamburger or hot dog?” Colin asked the second Katie was in earshot. He pushed his snow white hair out of his eyes.

Katie smiled. “Corn dog.”

He laughed. “Aw, you’re no fun, but corn dog it is!” He ordered two corn dogs from the pretty young woman behind the counter. Her eyes lingered on Colin a seconds too long, and Katie felt herself bristle. Her Aquapolian crystal eyes must have sparked dangerously, because the woman flinched and turned her attention back to their corn dogs.

“So, how did your gym battle in Eterna go? I’m sorry I missed it,” Colin asked when the lady handed them their corn dogs.

“Oh, Blaziken swept the floor with the gym leader’s Pokemon.” Katie blushed, realizing that she had boasted a little too boldly about her Blaziken. “I…I’m sorry.”
“Nah, it’s fine. I’ve seen your Pokemon battle before. They’re quite strong.” He
paused. “It would be nice to face you in the Platinum Conference.”

“Maybe one day, we can travel together,” Katie said, blushing again as she stared down at her uneaten corn dog. She was too focused on Colin to eat.

Colin laughed. “That would be great. Maybe sometime after the Platinum Conference?”

“Certainly.” In Katie’s mind, the Platinum Conference could not come soon enough.

There was a large, noisy crowd gathered around the tennis court. “There must be a pretty hot match going on over there,” Colin commented. “Why don’t we check it out?”

Colin and Katie pushed through the crowd and nearly stumbled into the chain link fence. On the court stood a skinny boy with bright blue hair and purple eyes that were set in a frustrated expression. He gripped his blue racket tightly, his knuckles turning snow white. From the whispers around her, Katie guessed that he was losing terribly.

Across the court from the boy, a tall woman stood in a casual pose, gripping a gold racket lightly. There was something otherworldly about this woman. Her long, light purple hair flowed down her back in a waterfall of color. She was slim, but muscular, as if she could take on a Medicham in a hand-to-hand fight. The most striking of her features was her eyes. They were the color of solid gold, flashing in the light of the noonday sun. A cleverness lay behind them that hinted at a spectrum of psychic abilities.

Katie could hear a sharp intake of breath come from Colin. “That’s Champion Reed.”

“Wh…what?” Katie asked, not believing her ears.

“That’s Champion Scarlet Reed.”

True enough, the woman that stood on the court before them was the leader of Aquapolis, Scarlet Reed. Katie watched with fascination as her serve blasted past the boy, leaving him stunned. Murmurs of admiration rose from the crowd. A girl on the sidelines announced that the match was over. Scarlet and the boy shook hands and walked off of the court. The crowd parted for the Champion to walk through, several giving her small bows of respect. Katie’s eyes met her golden ones, and a shiver of familiarity ran through her. She felt as if something connected the two Aquapolians.

A smile of recognition played on the Champion’s lips, and she stepped closer. “Are you Katie Karasuma?” Katie froze in surprise. How did she know her name? She nodded shyly and Scarlet laughed. “I knew it. I’ve seen all of your tournament battles. Maybe one day you’ll surpass your mother’s record!”

“Th…Thank you,” Katie said. Colin simply gaped at the Champion.

“I know you’re probably tired of hearing people compare you to your mother or father…you do remind me of them…and yet, you’re different from them both. A nice combination of traits.”

Katie forced herself to relax. She really appreciated Scarlet’s seeing her as someone different from her parents. It was always hard living in Kris Reeves and Kirio Karasuma’s shadows.

Scarlet glanced at the PokeAll strapped to her wrist and sighed. “I need to get back to Ever Grande. I have to meet with some representatives from Jordan.” She swung her racket over her shoulder and smiled again. “Good luck in the Platinum Conference!” She waved and started in the opposite direction, heading south. Katie watched her receding form as Colin let out the breath he was holding in.

“Well, that was interesting,” he said. “To be praised by the Champion…that’s an honor.”

“I can’t help thinking that I’ve seen her somewhere before…” Katie murmured.

“Well…while you’re thinking, I am going to go win me a Poke Doll over there.” Colin pointed to a game stall that held a classic water gun game. Thousands of Poke Dolls hung from the ceiling above. A boy with messy orange hair and burgundy eyes stood beneath the sea of Poke Dolls, his arms crossed in a bored pose.

“Ooh…me, too!” Katie said, eying an Umbreon doll. It’s red eyes were huge and scary looking, but it was still cute. She and Colin approached the stand and took their positions behind two Squirtle guns. The object of the game was simple: hit as many of the targets as you could. If you shattered over ten targets, you got your choice of a Poke Doll. Both trainers scrambled to keep each other from succeeding by nudging and pushing each other with their elbows. Despite their best efforts, both ended up with an Umbreon Poke Doll.

At that point, Katie spotted Samantha and David near a Poke Ball stall nearby. Samantha’s pretty green hair was tied up in a ponytail with a purple ribbon made of satin. It looked expensive, and Katie wondered if David had bought it for her.

Colin nudged Katie with his elbow. “What are we going to do now? We have a few hours before the fireworks start.”

Katie glanced around the fairgrounds, watching as young children and Pokemon were past, their voices raised in excitement. The bleachers near the baseball field were sparcely occupied, but a heated game was currently underway. She had the urge to talk to Colin, to learn more about him. The mostly empty bleachers were perfect.

Two teams were playing on the field, once called the Alakazam Team and the other called the Ampharos Team. They watched a few hits before Katie got up the nerve to speak.

“So, you listen to any good music?” She asked, her eyes on a pop fly that soared into the clouds. The batter must have been a fighting type…

Colin laughed. “Yeah, I listen to a bit of Aquapolian rock. Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, you know…the awesome stuff.”

Katie gave him a confused look. “I thought those were American groups.”

“Well…I guess technically they are, but all of the members in the bands are American Aquapolians. What do you like?”

“Linkin Park is my favorite, actually,” Katie laughed. “Samantha likes pop music more, so she gets mad when I blast my music. She always complains it’s too old.”

“My dad used to listen to that band during his travels. Actually, I believe he battled against your mom in the Diamond Conference.”

Katie’s focus changed from the ball game to Colin’s interesting fact. “Oh, really?”

“Yeah, Brendan Birch. He had this tough-as-nails Swampert, but it couldn’t hold a candle to Kris’. The battle ended poorly for him, but he resolved himself to train his Swampert even more, though he never again had a chance to face her in battle.” He sighed. “Though he had a successful career as a trainer, he always wanted me to be a researcher like my grandfather.”

“So, you grew up in Hoenn?” Katie asked as she shifted around to face him. Professor Evan Birch was the top researcher in Hoenn, sponsoring many new trainers.

Colin nodded. “Yeah, but I like Sinnoh better…it’s more diverse. It has an air of the ancient times as well.”

An explosion overhead made both trainers jump. Blue sparks raced across the sky as another set of fireworks went off. Katie had been so focused on her conversation with Colin that she had failed to realize that it had turned dark outside. The explosions formed several different species of Pokemon over there heads.

“I’d say this was a successful Cherry Blossom Festival.” Colin smiled, his arm reaching around Katie’s shoulders and pulling her close. Katie closed her eyes and inhaled the sweet smell of cherry blossoms, wishing she could stay wrapped in his arms forever.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Ok, first things first.

Colin laughed. “Yeah, I listen to a bit of Aquapolian rock. Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, you know…the awesome stuff.”

Epic Win XD
In fact, I'm listening to Animal I Have Become by TDG right now. That song is so me.

Anyway, though rather filler, we meet Scarlet again, and it seems she's become Champion! Well done for her, but judging from her last appearance she's suffered a lot in return. Can't wait to hear more about that. Also, Kirio is having visions of Kris diying, eh? And how similar to Katie's earlier experience with Darkrai. Could Kirio's former posession of Darkrai's abilities have something to do with it? Finally, he still mistrusts Cyrus even though Cyrus is dead, and they both made a pact to protect Kris during the war. And Kirio killed Cyrus himself. Damn, does he ever know how to hold a grudge.
On a completely different note, I like the scenes between Colin and Katie. Very well written, kinda cute, and very nostalgic to me for some odd reason. Well done.

Good luck with everything you do. I'm probably going to be temporarily leaving Serebii at some point in the near future to concentrate on my term paper for a while, so I hope you don't post the next chapter until I'm back. Keep up the hard work:)

Eon Out~ ;197;

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
I love that song! :D And, I'm glad you mentioned it, because it totally fits Katie's future...possibly.

Yeah, Kirio's got some real beef with Cyrus...he's never been able to quit hating him.

Term paper? XD Me, too! I have one due in a few weeks! I probably will be off during that time, too, so a new chapter might not be up.

Mew-mew

Vocaloid Fan
ColinxKatie xD 10/10 this chapter was amazing I wish I could go to Cherry Blossom Festavile.

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
well well well.....i read all 10 chapters:)
i must say.....
u are so AWESOME!!!

where did u learn to write like that? its so well-writen:)
and its interesting.....i can't wait for the next chapter
u just got yourself another fan;)
and i have some good ideas for shipping if u like...just saying...:D

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Sorry for the delay. I’ve been caught up in my own mind for nearly the past week. I’ve come up with a new story that has nothing to do with Shadow and Light, and I’ve been busy obsessing over it. Argh. I go through these cycles now and then, so please bear with me.

Chapter Eleven

The trek up Coronet was a silent and uneventful one. None of the trainers talked much about the Cherry Blossom Festival. While they were descending the mountain to enter Hearthome, an abandoned building caught Katie’s eyes. It was a small, grey warehouse whose windows were missing. Something inexplicable pulled Katie toward it.

“Hey, where are you going?” Samantha asked.

“I’m going to check out this building,” Katie answered, ducking inside. David and Samantha followed after her.

Glass crunched underneath her feet as she walked past rooms filled with computers and machinery. At the end of the passageway, she stepped into a room filled with shelves. Sodden books still filled them. Beside a computer lay three, aged pictures of ruins depicting three small, elfin creatures.

“I wonder what these Pokemon are?” she asked aloud, laying a hand on them. David took a look at them, and shook his head.

“Whatever they are, they must be legendary,” he said, tracing over the ruins on the blanched photographs with one of his fingers. Samantha simply examined the pictures as if trying to faintly recall some knowledge of the Pokemon depicted in them.

“They are, indeed, legendary.” Before she turned around, Katie marveled at the fact that Pluto could slip into the room without her detecting him. It was both amazing and disorienting, but there he was. “Those are the legendaries of the lakes, Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit.”

“Really?” Samantha asked, glancing again at the pictures.

“Yes. Now, what are you three doing here?”

“I don’t know, ask her,” David said, pointing to Katie.

She shrugged. “We were just looking around.”

“You’re lucky I was the commander sent to investigate the base.”

“The base?”

“Yes. This warehouse was once a base for Team Galactic years ago.” He cleared his throat. “You three will be leaving now.”

The rest of their journey into Hearthome was uneventful. Samantha signed up at the contest hall for the next day’s contest, and the three trainers settled into the Pokemon Center that night.

The next day, they woke up bright and early and headed back to the contest hall. In the coordinators’ dressing room, Samantha put on a long, violet dress. As she tied her hair up with a blue ribbon, she saw Ashley step into the room, wearing a short blue dress and heels. She smiled when she saw Samantha.

“Well, isn’t it little newbie, Samantha Lynn. It’s nice to see you competing. So cute.” She giggled. “Too bad you entered the wrong contest.” She winked. “See you on the contest floor.” With that, she left the dressing room.

Samantha balled her hands into fists tightly. “I am so beating you, Ashley McCauley,” she muttered under her breath.

“Welcome one and all to the Hearthome Pokemon Contest!”

Jillian looked radiant in a long, green velvet dress that swirled to the floor around her feet. She gripped the microphone through white gloved hands. As Katie looked out across the contest hall, she noticed that most of the coordinators and judges present at the contest were dressed in glittering colors and formal dresses and suits. The Hearthome contests were just as important as the Grand Festival, for a Hearthome ribbon counted as two ribbons toward the qualifying ribbon count for the Festival.

Sitting at the judges’ table were three very familiar faces. At the end sat Dawn, who was dressed in a long, poofy blue dress and white heels. The dress was the exact shade of her dark blue hair, which was pinned back with a silver clip. She was chatting excitedly with the older woman beside her, who had long, graying purple hair and deep amber eyes. White gloves snaked all the way up her arms, and a purple, glittering dress hung from her shoulders. Katie smiled, anticipating her gym match with Fantina, who was both a powerful ghost gym leader and a star coordinator. Recently, she had abolished the rule that only trainers with four badges could challenge her gym, so Katie expected to battle her during her first trip through Hearthome.

Finally, beside Fantina, sat May. She wore a short, red halter dress, and her brown hair was tied up with a red ribbon. Sapphire light shone in her eyes as she waited with anticipation of the appeals round. Catching Katie’s eyes, she smiled and waved.

‘We have a line-up of experienced coordinators in our contest today, desperate for a chance to win the famed Hearthome ribbon that will count for two ribbons toward the five-ribbon Grand Festival count!” Jillian held up a bright blue ribbon the color of ice. “So, we’re going to start right away with our appeals round! First up is Lacey, from Eterna City!”

Lacey was a tall and skinny girl with long curly blonde hair. She wore a bright green dress that reached her knees in the front and the floor in the back. “Go, Lopunny!” With an explosion of flowers, Lacey’s tall, bunny-like Pokemon appeared. “Ice Beam!” Lopunny spun on one foot, releasing a beam of freezing energy into the air. Part of the stage froze, including the ground underneath her feet. Katie watched with amusement as the bunny skated across the floor. “Dizzy Punch!” Lopunny’s hands started to glow. Shards of ice flew into the air as the attack smashed through the ice pillars on the floor. The hall’s lights shone off of the shards, causing a glittering rainbow to appear overhead.

The next person to step onto the stage was Ashley, who was dressed in a dark blue dress similar in design to May’s. She released a Milotic, which curled up on the contest floor and raised her head to the ceiling. “Water Pulse into Screech!” Milotic’s screech, though loud, was not terrible to the ears. Sound waves filled the hall as an orb of water swirled into the frey. The waves pushed the orb up, causing it to rise up off of the floor. “Shadow Ball!” With extreme accuracy, the orb of shadow energy slammed into the Water Pulse, causing it to explode and send a shower of water to the floor.

“She’s pretty good,” Katie whispered to David, who simply nodded. He had watched his sister compete in contests for years, and he knew full well how good she was.

A boy ran onto the stage after Ashley. He wore a black suit that clashed with his dark green hair. Chucking a Poke Ball into the stage, he yelled, “Go, Venusaur!” a large, dinosaur-lie grass-type appeared, stomping his feet to shake the hall floor. “Razor Leaf!” A flurry of leaves filled the air around Venusaur, swirling into a tornado. “Petal Dance into Vine Whip!” Petals shot into the air, mixing with the leaves. Seconds later, the mixture spun above the crowd, propelled by a fierce Vine Whip. It cascaded back down to the floor in a waterfall of leaves and petals.

As Samantha stepped onto the stage, she was nearly knocked over by the combined effect of the cheering crowd and blinding lights. She let her Poke Ball fly into the air, releasing her Chimchar. The baby fire-type raised his arms into the air and cried out adorably. “Ember!” Chimchar sprang into the air, spinning as he fired his ember attack around the stadium. “Now, Fire Punch!” As Chimchar’s fist slammed into each ember, an explosion of flames rocked the stadium. “Swift!” The rest of the embers disappeared into golden stars that swirled around Chimchar.

Samantha returned to the waiting room, holding Chimchar above her head. “You did so well for your first contest!” Chimchar responded with a chirp as he returned to his Poke Ball. Ashley walked up to Samantha, a smirk plastered on her face.

“Well, well, are we competing with babies now?” Ashley laughed meanly. “You can’t have been training that Chimchar for more than a month.”

“That may be so, but Chimchar is skilled enough to win the appeals round, I have no doubt,” Samantha said, straighting her ponytail. Ashley rolled her eyes, but said nothing. She simply stalked away, her Glaceon following her every step. Samantha sighed. If she made it into the battle rounds, Ashley would be her biggest opponent. Leafeon would have a hard time battling Glaceon, so her strategy needed to work, and fast.

That afternoon, the finalists were announced. Both Samantha and Ashley had advanced to the next round, as well as two other coordinators who had placed high in the rankings. Samantha was pitted against a boy named Hamilton who was from Cherrygrove City in Jhoto. He had dark brown hair and grey-blue eyes, and was dressed in a nice black suit.

As the beginning buzzer sounded, Samantha released Leafeon, who took his battle stance in front of her. Hamilton released a large Feraligatr who towered over both Leafeon and Samantha. The water-type’s ruby red eyes followed their every tiny movement, causing Samantha to grow increasingly nervous. She gritted her teeth. “Leafeon, Shadow Ball!”

Feraligatr was thrust backward by a huge blast of dark energy. Not to be deterred, he lunged forward quickly with an Ice Punch. Despite his speed, he was easily dodged by Leafeon, who sent a flurry of leaves smashing into the huge water-type.

“Feraligatr, use Ice Punch again!” Hamilton shouted. Samantha smirked. Any close combat move from Feraligatr would result in a barrage of long-range arracks. In fact, he had barely taken three steps forward before another Razor Leaf smashed into him, causing him to crumple, unconscious, to the ground.

As Jillian announced her victory, Samantha bowed deeply to the cheering crowd, sneaking a smiling glance at her grass-type. He grinned, happy to have won another match for his coordinator.

Not surprisingly, Ashley won her own match against her opponent, taking down her opponent’s Tangrowth with ease. Samantha winced as Glaceon reared back, unleashing a torrent of icicles on her opponent. Tangrowth slammed into the ground, knocked out.

Finally, it was time for Samantha and Ashley’s match.

“Go, Leafeon!” Samantha cried out, releasing her grass-type.

“Go, Glaceon!” Ashley exclaimed, releasing her ice-type.

“Let this final contest battle begin!” Jillian exclaimed.

“Glaceon, Ice Beam!” Ashley yelled. Leafeon dodged the beam of ice easily, but slipped and crashed on the frozen floor. A Shadow Ball knocked him back.

“Shadow Ball!” Samantha called out. The blast rebounded off of the icy floor, slamming into Glaceon, who released a barrage of Shadow Balls that pinned Leafeon down. Samantha’s mind searched frantically for a plan to get Leafeon up.

“Now, Glaceon, Ice Beam!” Ashley shouted. The force of the attack sent Leafeon spiraling backwards. He crashed into the ground, unconscious.

Samantha knew that she had been at a disadvantage. She just didn’t know that the battle would be so short.

“That was a tough battle,” Katie confessed when she and David met Samanthat outside of the contest hall. Samantha ducked her head, and didn’t say a word. Her shoulders started to shake. Katie put an arm around her. “Next time, Ashley’s going down.”

David sighed. It would be a while before Samantha could become good enough to beat Ashley. She would just have to train harder.

That night, Katie lay awake in bed, wondering what her battle strategy would be for the next day. No matter. Umbreon could take Fantina’s entire team down.

The next morning, bright and early, Katie woke up to train with Umbreon. They would win the gym battle, for sure.

By the time David and Samantha woke up, Katie was ready to go out the door and to the gym. They groaned. It was too early for their taste.

Fantina was waiting inside the gym, still dressed in her contest outfit from the night before. She lifted her gaze from her fingernails to Katie’s face and smiled. “I though you would show up in my gym today.” She had a sharp French accent that grated slightly on Katie’s nerves. Pushing herself up off of her chair, she yawned. “Follow me.”

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
For the millionth time, this is excellent. Much better on the battle discription this time, so you must have had some serious patience compared to the last time. I liked the comment on Fatina's voice, I always imagined it to be grating and annoying too. Anybody obnoxious to be a gym leader and a master co-ordinater has to be annoying.

Hopefully I'll have Opal's Shadow up by this week Saturday or Sunday. Look forward to it.

Mew-mew

Vocaloid Fan
10/10 it was sad that Samantha lost at the contest. I can`t wait for Katie`s gym battle :)