• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shadow Pokémon Disscusion

Nightfall_

Gamer Extrodinare
Shadow Pokémon Disscusion

Shadow Pokémon Discussion

Shadow pokémon....a dang powerful lot of pokemon, I say.​

This thread is so discuss them, debate, whatever. There are downfalls and ups of shadow pokémon.

+:

It gets cool moves like Shadow Rush
Its generally more powerful
When in hyper mode, its freaking powerful!

-:
It disobeys you if you don't use a shadow move
When in hyper mode it refuses to take items
It cannot evolve

-----

Any thoughts?

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
I really liked the shadow pokemon. I liked the fact that the shadow moves were super effective against every type except shadow, and the power of some of them. One of the things I didn't like: how they get hurt during reverse mode.

PsiOmega

An old soul
Personally, I like the concept of Shadow Pokemon. It introduces a new aspect to the game. I wish they'd include them in the handheld games...

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
Personally, I like the concept of Shadow Pokemon. It introduces a new aspect to the game. I wish they'd include them in the handheld games...

Me too. It would make the handheld games a lot more interesting.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I really liked the whole concept of Shadow Pokemon. These Pokemon had been essentially turned into fighting machines, which was something I found interesting as it made these games feel more darker and different from other games. I also thought that it was neat that there were moves exclusive to Shadow Pokemon - some of those Shadow moves looked really cool IMO.

One thing that I didn't like that much about Shadow Pokemon was how sloooooow the purification process was in Colosseum. I'm really glad that XD made purifying Pokemon a lot faster with the purification chamber thing.

Maetch

The concept of Shadow Pokemon is actually a lot more bloody and frightening when you think about it. Here we have creatures who wield massive strength, can utilize psychic energy, even control the elements, and yet they let us command their power out of trust and respect. So what happens when you take that powerful creature and strip away every last positive emotion from its heart, leaving only hate and rage? You get a creature that can and will literally DESTROY anything that moves out of blind rage.

Personally, I feel that the concept was held back by the rules and limits of the Pokemon games. Obviously, they can't have Shadow Pokemon actually killing people under any circumstances, but they could've easily made them act more like the raging creatures they are supposed to be portrayed as. Shadow Lugia was probably the only real example of a Shadow Pokemon's true danger, and we never saw it do anything outside of airlift a boat out of the ocean (plus get snagged in five seconds when you do finally meet it).

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
I thought Shadow Pokémon were a pretty cool concept. Maetch said everything about them that I had to say and more. That plus they really added to the dark ambiance that Colosseum (and XD to an extent) had.

That being said I didn't like to use them. Call me paranoid but I like to play it really safe during battles. I tried to purify them all as soon as I possibly could because I wasn't a big fan of all the fallbacks listed above.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Shadow Pokemon were cool. I wish they could exist without there drawbacks though. Kind of like shiny pokemon, just an alternate form of the pokemon there already is.

gpdlt

Pokemon Trainer
The Shadow moves were cool in the beginning, but once you went later in the game, the seemed to do less damage. It was easier to just use super effective moves. I got tired of shadow moves taking up the move slots.

lovepika

Pika The Espeon
Oh yes Shadow Pokémon are like totally AWESOME ^^
I wish they'd be a bit more special though. Like, having glowing red eyes or something. That's not noticeable from miles, but still shows the awesome evilness and power. (I actually like the evilness... O.O) And there should be more of them.
And when Verde said "we artificially closed the Pokémon's heart" (Or something among those lines, whatever) I was like "OMG how do you do that?!"
They should be in other games too, around the whole region but not too common to make it more challenging to get them. Would totally add the awesomeness.

Last edited:

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Shadow Pokemon are awesome. It does bring an interesting twist than the normal Pokemon play. My favorite Shadow Move is Shadow Rush because its animation looks like a powerful attack :p And also Shadow.. Blast? from XD001.

TheBluePorygon

i miss the old kanye
I loved how you got a snag machine and purified them, it's precious. So yeah, shadow pokemon are great.