• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shadow Triad - A case of Adaptational Villainy or elaborate Red Herring?

Majiata

So, the theory is crushed. Well, I admit that I really liked it because I wanted to see evil gym leaders again.
But I'm curious if the shapes of the masks will be changed to identical masks again. xD

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
These two cover images are similar in style, with those guys in front and people on the background. Do I hear Kusaka and Yamamoto laughing or are they serious?
[SPOILER="[IMG139][IMG139]http://jb2448.info/var/resizes/Magazine_Scans/Viz_BW/Volume%2003/Chapter%209/Page%2001.png?m=1321479536[/IMG139] [IMG139]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8223/corocoroichibanapril201.png[/IMG139][/SPOILER]

Lolipiece has stated that also, but you're both right. it's too suspisious I guess we all would be surprised if they didn't turned out to be the Shadow triad.

Ludger

スポック
There was also nothing in GSC or HGSS indicating Pryce was a villain. Creative license needs to be taken into account, too. I have a hard time believing they'd drop a bunch of hints without knowing what they were going to do with them already.

True. As Kaiserin said it might be still have a chance that in this manga they could be the Shadow Triad or at least they have somekind of relationship

Janovy

Banned
This theory is not crushed.

If PokéSpecial could have Koga and Surge be evil, I'm pretty certain they can also have the Shadow Triad being the Striaton bros.

CuriousHeartless

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible. If you still believe this, even without the memory link canonicly saying it is false, you aren't very good with thinking about things. There was never any proof, at all. Just fans who like to make stuff out of nothing. Yes there is three of both, there are a lot of trios in this game, and Pokemon in general. They are just three guys who were saved by Ghetsis and now work for him as ninja. People mention how they didn't show up for the final confrontation against the Sages, well there is an explanation for that. They had seven sages (One for each color of the rainbow) but ten gym leaders, so to match up they cut three gym leaders out of hte battle. To get that amount, they cut out the leaders that shared a gym and positioned them farthest from the Elite Four so they could give the explanation that they couldn't make it in time.

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
I'm saying this in the nicest way possible. If you still believe this, even without the memory link canonicly saying it is false, you aren't very good with thinking about things. There was never any proof, at all. Just fans who like to make stuff out of nothing. Yes there is three of both, there are a lot of trios in this game, and Pokemon in general. They are just three guys who were saved by Ghetsis and now work for him as ninja. People mention how they didn't show up for the final confrontation against the Sages, well there is an explanation for that. They had seven sages (One for each color of the rainbow) but ten gym leaders, so to match up they cut three gym leaders out of hte battle. To get that amount, they cut out the leaders that shared a gym and positioned them farthest from the Elite Four so they could give the explanation that they couldn't make it in time.

And you need to grasp the concept of "Different Canons"
The Shadow Trio are no the Striaton Bros. in the game?? All right, but that might not be the case in PokeSpe canon. Certain clues point to that being the case at the time, but they may very well end up not being them in the manga either. Only time will tell.

CuriousHeartless

I understand different continuity, and can understand it in most places. Gym Leaders really aren't well defined, especially not in the older generations when they barely appeared at all whereas now they exit tehir gyms and have a lot more dialog. pryce and the Rocket Trio didn't have much definition in the games so turning them evil is possible. However, with the Striaton Trio and the Shadow Trio, it is eplicitly shown in game that they are not the same. If not for that Memory link there would be some possibility. The canon are seperate and diffirentiate from each otehr, but it is still based on it so they won't change it. Also the baseless fanon accusations that have been flying around for so long now get on my nerves just so much (Note that while that is part, it isn't the whole thing and I do back my opinion up). I say it is a big old red herring of a fanon nod.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I understand different continuity, and can understand it in most places. Gym Leaders really aren't well defined, especially not in the older generations when they barely appeared at all whereas now they exit tehir gyms and have a lot more dialog. pryce and the Rocket Trio didn't have much definition in the games so turning them evil is possible. However, with the Striaton Trio and the Shadow Trio, it is eplicitly shown in game that they are not the same. If not for that Memory link there would be some possibility. The canon are seperate and diffirentiate from each otehr, but it is still based on it so they won't change it. Also the baseless fanon accusations that have been flying around for so long now get on my nerves just so much (Note that while that is part, it isn't the whole thing and I do back my opinion up). I say it is a big old red herring of a fanon nod.

How do you know?

CuriousHeartless

Fine, I get it, I don't know. But neither do you, and there are just as many signs pointing both ways so their is no way for either of us to know for sure. And some of the 'clues' used are based on both trios using Fire, Grass, and Water Pokemon, while they are different Pokemon and Fire/Grass/Water trios are very common. They also disregard the fact that there is a logical explanation for the Trio to not appear at the Plasma Castle, both in-game and from an outside view-point (And they chose to go with the game canon here, but when I try and use it, apparently I'm holier-than-thou and wrong to be using it). There are also no hints like it says, simply fans pulling stuff out of context (Something sadly too common) and bending it to their theory. I also don't see how the Shadow Trio getting different-colored masks (If they didn't just decide to shade it differently and they are the same masks) changes anything, nor if I misread it how the masks being different colors means anything. Also, the masks matching up with the pans is an interesting thing, but it still doesn't mean it means anything, and also the last members mask is supposed to match up with Panpour but I do not see the correlation with them. Again with the Fire/Grass/Water thing, done too much to matter or anything, and the Pokemon owned by them matching up to the right masks is just as possible as foreshadowing or red herring creation. the pose things is a bit more compleling and hard to go against, but if you really want to bring up their standing positions as proof I'd like to point at that while Cilan and Grass-Shadow Triad member hold hteir arms behind hteir backs in different ways-Cilan bends his at the elbows while Triad Guy keeps his straight.

tl;dr Well read anyways, and I don't know, but neither does any of you.

Weedy Spyze

Well just to quickly add my $0.02, but this thread is what tipped me off to the Striaton Trio = Shadow Triad fan theory and I personally love it. I know it was a bust in the games, but if you ask me it makes all six (or three) characters infinitely more interesting. Especially the Shadow Triad, who I don't like in the games at all ftr. So yeah, I'm holding out on this being true in Adventures until if and when it's confirmed. If it's so? Awesome. If not? Eh well, that means we have three boring nameless ninjas instead, but whatever.

Last edited:

Ludger

スポック
The Shadow Trio are no the Striaton Bros. in the game?? All right, but that might not be the case in PokeSpe canon. Certain clues point to that being the case at the time, but they may very well end up not being them in the manga either. Only time will tell.

They(Shadow Triad) might come from another time since time travel is possible in pokemon world. This is only my theory in games. Might worked in manga as well

G-SANtos

But how would they time travel? I don't think Dialga or Celebi would want to lend them a hand.
Technology? If there's enough technology to clone Pokémon, fuse three Pokémon into one, create a mutant Eevee, and store sounds inside bubbles, why would a time machine be impossible?

How terribly specific.

[IMG139]http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/theorycrushed.png[/IMG139]
It's possible to have this scene and still have the San'you City Leaders being the Dark Trinity (Shadow Triad).
1- Three Zoroarks.
2- Time travel.
3- Dopplegangers working for Team Plasma.
EDIT: I'm talking about having this scene in the manga, which is what this thread is about.

In my opinion, if the San'you trio is not the Dark Trinity, then they at least have some kind of connection. Possibly clones or something.

Last edited:

knux-the-killer

Technology? If there's enough technology to clone Pokémon, fuse three Pokémon into one, create a mutant Eevee, and store sounds inside bubbles, why would a time machine be impossible?

It's possible to have this scene and still have the San'you City Leaders being the Dark Trinity (Shadow Triad).
1- Three Zoroarks.
2- Time travel.
3- Dopplegangers working for Team Plasma.

In my opinion, if the San'you trio is not the Dark Trinity, then they at least have some kind of connection. Possibly clones or something.

Oh seriously, crushed theory is crushed, get over it. Yes, it's kinda disappointed the Stration Gym Leaders revealed to not be them, but for another side it's cool to know they are different people with their own story and independent roles. At least Cilan and the others are free from any potential criminal record now.
And well, everyone is complaining for the Shadow Triad being three identical members but look, if they are triplets too, makes sense. We only can distinct the Subway masters from their differently colored outfit or else.

G-SANtos

Oh seriously, crushed theory is crushed, get over it.
I was talking about the manga. I thought this was obvious (this being a manga thread).

EDIT: To avoid furher confusion, I meant that if they want to include this scene in the manga and use this adapted villainy, these are ways to explain how the scene could be possible.

Last edited: