• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shadow Triad - A case of Adaptational Villainy or elaborate Red Herring?

TomNamikaze

TomPen94, Banido
Wow, in the games the myth is busted, but in PokéSpe, I totally see this happening. And I kinda want it to happen too, we haven't seen evil Gym Leaders in a long time. It would be a nice plot twist.

Macromind101

I understand different continuity, and can understand it in most places. Gym Leaders really aren't well defined, especially not in the older generations when they barely appeared at all whereas now they exit tehir gyms and have a lot more dialog. pryce and the Rocket Trio didn't have much definition in the games so turning them evil is possible. However, with the Striaton Trio and the Shadow Trio, it is eplicitly shown in game that they are not the same. If not for that Memory link there would be some possibility. The canon are seperate and diffirentiate from each otehr, but it is still based on it so they won't change it. Also the baseless fanon accusations that have been flying around for so long now get on my nerves just so much (Note that while that is part, it isn't the whole thing and I do back my opinion up). I say it is a big old red herring of a fanon nod.

I agree with you here. The games started giving characters such as gym leaders and Elite Four more "taste" so I don't really see the manga expanding on non-main characters from the games too much. And we haven't seen a normally good character from the games go bad for a while now. If you don't count Archie (and in his case it was from bad to worse) then the last time that happened was Generation II, seven chapters ago. In fact, I'm kinda noticing that the bad characters from the past are actually turning good by the time they return these days (like Giovanni, Cyrus, the Johto Elite Four, the Rocket trio and Lance). Probably to not deter too much from the games. If they need bad guys not present in the games, they make original characters now instead of turning good characters bad (not helpful here I know just to add to my point).

As for the main thread, I doubt that is true for the reasons stated above. And the Straiton trio are as innocent as one (or three) can get. If the Shadow Triad ABSOLUTELY had to be someone we knew of, I would say they would be people who were originally lost in their paths and then saw Ghetsis as their destinies after he saved them. Maybe, Maxie, Archie, and either Mars or Jupiter? (but the former two would be impossible in the manga so disregard that)

knux-the-killer

I was talking about the manga. I thought this was obvious (this being a manga thread).

EDIT: To avoid furher confusion, I meant that if they want to include this scene in the manga and use this adapted villainy, these are ways to explain how the scene could be possible.

Oh if you were talking about the manga, then it's another story. Their monkey shaped masks, poses and pokemons on hand are such huge evidences that it only be a surprise if they reveal to NOT be the Stration Gym Leaders.
However, it's just the manga as you see. This manga has the habit to give different backgrounds and roles to certain characters, even changing drastically their design in some cases. See this Shadow Triad has nothing with their game counterparts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far they seems to lack the ninja-skills. They are just 3 plain masked man using technology to spy instal doing that themselves like their counterparts. As their design are completely different as well.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
It's possible to have this scene and still have the San'you City Leaders being the Dark Trinity (Shadow Triad).
1- Three Zoroarks.
2- Time travel.
3- Dopplegangers working for Team Plasma.

In my opinion, if the San'you trio is not the Dark Trinity, then they at least have some kind of connection. Possibly clones or something.

...You know, interestingly, I had an idea for a fic along these lines. They are ninjas, after all, and they've already proven to be good with illusion and concealment. It'd obviously be a branching AU sort of thing, but you're not the only one who still wishes it hadn't been jossed. :C

In any case, just because something is not canon for the games doesn't mean it's not on track to work for Special. The example with Pryce was a good one -- he's the exact opposite of a villain in the games, and has no such traumatic past or dubious intentions. But keep in mind that different adaptations beget different continuities. Obviously the Striaton triplets aren't slated to be the Shadow Triad in the anime either (I... think...), but Special makes it a very real possibility. This happens all over the place, because Pokemon just has so many flexible ways of telling multiple stories in the same basic world.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
Wait, I know I said "theory crushed" in a different post, but they could be evil in the Pokemon Adventures(not the game or anime). If Sabrina, Lt. Surge, Koga, Lorelei, Agatha, Lance, Bruno, and Pryce were all evil in the manga but not in the games or anime, the Striaton Trio could actually end up being evil and be the Dark Trinity.

pikachu500

Elite Champion
I think maybe Sird is one of the shadow Triad... maybe...

G-SANtos

...You know, interestingly, I had an idea for a fic along these lines. They are ninjas, after all, and they've already proven to be good with illusion and concealment. It'd obviously be a branching AU sort of thing, but you're not the only one who still wishes it hadn't been jossed. :C
Again, I'm not wishing it hadn't been jossed, I'm talking about the manga, which is what this thread is about. Seems like I'll have to edit my post to avoid a third person from mistaking my words.
In fact, I have no opinion about this jossing because I didn't really know who were the Dark Trinity before seeing this thread as I have yet to play anything from generation V. When I saw them on BW2 trailer, I thought that was the new design for the Plasma Grunts (I noticed that there was a female Plasma Grunt wearing what seemed to be ninja clothes somewhere in the trailer).

I think maybe Sird is one of the shadow Triad... maybe...
What if she's their mother?
Plus, she can't be one of the Dark trinity because the three of them are male.

silverangel

Metal Fairy
That theory just seems so legit, it's hard to think that the manga won't pose the shadow triad as the striaton gym leaders. I don't think that will happen in the anime, however.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
I reALLY WANT the striaton trio become a dark trinity :)
even they not in game

Recon

Didn't we have this with Pryce? Oh well, I enjoyed him until he revealed his motives, but it should be fine since they're working as underlings, not the big bad.

Oooh! Ooooh! I have a theory! Perhaps the shadow triad in the Black and White Saga is the Striation Trio but at the end, they reveal their true identities, and explain that they were working as spies and leave Plasma once he's defeated. However, in Black 2/White 2, they are replaced by a new Shadow Trio that works for Ghetsis.

The working as spies part can be removed and instead, they are just beaten by a new Shadow Trio and are replaced for the Black 2/White 2 saga and things proceed as normal

Or we can just have a Pryce/Platinum bodyguard scenario which they disappear into an unknown void, are replaced by the Shadow Trio in Black 2/White 2, then return though some unknown method and defeat the new Shadow Trio.

Anyone for these theories?

Last edited: