• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Share the best drawing you ever made and tell a story about it.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I can draw a perfect circle.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
@Kutie Pie

I don't really think talent is something that is passed down. I would have said that maybe you were good because you had artistic influences around you as you grew up, but then you say you didn't know your Mother drew. (Maybe you got it from some place else?) As for your second question, I think taking those extra Art classes did help you, because any practise will contribute to your skills in art. Clearly you are quite skilful, judging from those amazing character designs! It's evident that you've been drawing Animé for quite some time now.

But when it comes to talent, I think I'm just not a believer. I think that you can be steered in a certain direction from a young age, but ultimately you have to work hard to develop skills in whatever you want to pursue. It's a hard thing to answer but I think it just comes down to your own personal opinion, which just happens to be what art is all about!!

And staying on topic, I'll post another sketch. (If you've not noticed already, I kind of suck at these debates!)

[img139]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd378/xMelody93/Art_018.jpg[/img139]

This was probably one of my biggest projects, mainly because it was done on a somewhat large scale. I have different scans of different parts of the face but this is probably my favourite one.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
@Kutie Pie

I don't really think talent is something that is passed down. I would have said that maybe you were good because you had artistic influences around you as you grew up, but then you say you didn't know your Mother drew. (Maybe you got it from some place else?) As for your second question, I think taking those extra Art classes did help you, because any practise will contribute to your skills in art. Clearly you are quite skilful, judging from those amazing character designs! It's evident that you've been drawing Animé for quite some time now.

But when it comes to talent, I think I'm just not a believer. I think that you can be steered in a certain direction from a young age, but ultimately you have to work hard to develop skills in whatever you want to pursue. It's a hard thing to answer but I think it just comes down to your own personal opinion, which just happens to be what art is all about!!

And staying on topic, I'll post another sketch. (If you've not noticed already, I kind of suck at these debates!)

[img139]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd378/xMelody93/Art_018.jpg[/img139]

This was probably one of my biggest projects, mainly because it was done on a somewhat large scale. I have different scans of different parts of the face but this is probably my favourite one.

Well what about me then?? No one in my family draws lol and I've always been able to draw fairly well from a young age. I didn't take any art classes until high school and only ever drew for myself. Sure I got better over time by practicing but that original skill was still there from a very young age.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I just want to give my two pennies on this discussion.

After my art exam last year, I thought a lot about what is artistic talent. The exam itself was quite interesting, because despite the number of great artists in my class who had produced brilliant final pieces, everyone was crowding around mine to have a look and exclaiming that mine was the best in the class. Now, I'm really not being modest or anything here or anything, but my piece wasn't necessarily bad per se, it was just really simple. A rectangular box with a blue chalk pastel sky and a green oil pastel meadow at the bottom with a single tree in the centre with black paper lettering at the bottom of the paper. Now I have to be honest and say that although I put a lot of effort into it, it wasn't difficult or tricky to draw by any respect. The hardest part was doing the sky as the top is a navy which fades into a lighter blue as it goes down but that was only really tricky as chalk pastels are sort of my Achilles Heel. Of course, everyone was saying how I was going to get the best grade in the class, et cetera, et cetera, so when Results Day came round, I wasn't surprised to find that I got one of the lowest grades in the class - a C.

Everyone accredited that to the rest of my two year's work, which was a lot worse than my final project, but I have my own ideas as to why the examiners didn't give me a better grade than those who apparently had 'worse artwork' than I did.
Anyone can be good at art. I mean, hell, anyone can pick up a paintbrush and paint a single stroke on a canvas and declare it as art so it would sell for a ridiculous price in an auction. Anyone can draw from direct observation and because it would look accurate to the original it would be declared as 'good art'. The latter especially is my main point - my final piece was a development from a direct observation drawing - this picture, to be precise. Of course, the majority of the people who saw the final product didn't know that I essentially ripped off a scene from a game to create my piece, so it can't technically be called 'original', so it must be 'bad 'art'.
But no, I hear you say, it's not 'ripped off', it's simply 'inspired' by the original picture.
Inspired? Inspiration is hard to define, but as the artist, I wouldn't say that I was inspired by the picture. I was inspired to draw it because it seemed like an interesting subject to draw, yes, but if I'm "inspired" to draw a portrait by the Mona Lisa and I produce an almost direct copy with a few alterations, what would be the response, I wonder? I think you'd have one side saying it's totally unacceptable to pass off something that's already been done as art, but the other side would say that I've possibly 're-interpreted' the piece, depending specifically on the alterations. But anyway, enough of that.

Another point I'd like to raise is accuracy. Not the accuracy of copying the original, but the degree of accuracy which would make someone think that the piece looks 'realistic' or 'right' (I realise that accuracy of well-known objects can be changed to create different artistic effects but that's beside the point). The piece I produced had lettering of uniform letters from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which I had cut out from black paper and stuck down with plain glue. A very simple process, yes, but in my obsession to have everything neat and prim, it took almost an entire hour to draw and cut out all six letters, not to mention the extra half hour of making sure they was a uniform gap between each on the paper and they were all at the same height so it didn't look messy. This part in particular got me thinking. If I hadn't been so careful drawing them out and cutting them out and sticking them on, if the straight lines were slightly bendy, or if the curves weren't so precise, or if the letters themselves were placed at odds with each other so the word looked a little higgledy-piggedly, would my piece now be considered worse than before?
Like I said before, anyone can do art. Anyone can be accurate. It doesn't take a great "artist" to be precise with something to make it look good, nor does it take an idiot to make something look better than it previously was by straightening it up a little bit. My slight OCD with having to have everything straight and neat led to the illusion that I had therefore produced 'good art', whereas other people who studied the same artist and produced a vaguely similar piece but with slightly misshapen letters had supposedly produced "bad art", as the lettering at the bottom apparently took away from the ok drawings above. Similarly, my need to have the sky show a very uniform gradient from dark blue to light blue gave the illusion that I had produced something good, even though a person who knows nothing about art could have produced something similar, if not something better (this is where my argument goes a little awry, as I tend to agree that working with certain materials requires knowledge, not talent, but the knowledge can be taught to anyone, regardless of artistic talent). The sky took me the most amount of time because I was using my chalks to get a consistent gradient of colour, but does that mean that I have artistic skill just because I have a good eye to see how accurate colours are? Another person would have spent half the time I did obsessing over the sky as they would have stopped halfway through and moved onto something else because they would have deemed it adequate, but I kept on going because I wanted it to meet my standards. Not the exam boards, not my peers, not my teacher, but MY standards. Perhaps if I had spent more time perfecting the sky I would have got a B (I missed a B by about a millimetre, fyi) but that's irrelevant, which brings me onto my final point.

I don't do art for qualifications. Neither do I do it so I can gain admiration and praise. I paint and I draw and I colour because of the sense of achievement I savour when I finish a piece. Believe me, the praise I got from my peers and the examiner and my teacher for my final piece was nothing compared to when I ran my pastel over the paper for a final time, then stepped back to survey what two entire days of hard labour had produced. Even when I walk past it in the corridor where it's on display I think back to the trials and tribulations of making that goddamn piece, and it feels bloody good, regardless of that fact that I got a C for my entire project.
Look, it doesn't matter if you have "artistic talent" or not, or if someone else says you don't. I guess what I'm trying to say is that art requires a number of skills and talents unrelated to the actual subject which can produce work which looks good in someone else's eyes. Be it accuracy, use of colour, use of materials, fusing different styles and rules together or just being good with a pencil, anyone can be good at art. Art - to express, to note, to record, to alarm, to ruminate, to ruse, to interrogate, to inform, to enhance, to be a joy to all those who see it - is there truly a right way to do any of these things?

Heckle away.

Last edited:

Foxyvulpixie

thug life
Lamia...your art...-faints- gurrrl you need to put those beautiful pictures up on your dA <3
LOL, I love everyone's drawings in here!!! I love how everyone has their own unique style and different ways of drawing <333

http://foxyvulpixie.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d4tmkm4 Something I did in art class last year. I wanted to draw something dreamlike and surreal to match the quote,"You will find dreams within". But in the end the drawing didn't turn out the way I wanted it to so I ended up drawing random shizz everywhere and some very awkward flowers next the the winged girl xD.

Oh, and I have a painted version of it on a canvas, but I can't scan it 'cuz the canvas is so thick TT_TT I think the painted version looks a lot better though, haha <3.

All of you are such great artists. ^^

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/wahwahweeowoo/SSBB Snapshots/Art2-BeakDoc-1.jpg
Something I did for my grade 12 art class. I don't really wanna go deep into the subject, but there are 2 more plague doctor paintings to go with this one. Well, I guess I'll tell you that the painting expresses themes of sorrow, regret, and despair. The plague doctor tries his hardest to relieve his patient (who he also loves), however, his remedies do not work, and she is another victim of the Black Death.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/wahwahweeowoo/Untitled-3.png
A more personal piece, but it's up to you to interpret it as whatever you want.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Oh, and I have a painted version of it on a canvas, but I can't scan it 'cuz the canvas is so thick TT_TT I think the painted version looks a lot better though, haha <3.

That's an extremely cute piece, and I can also imagine it being better painted too!! :)

Pacifist3000 said:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/wahwahweeowoo/Untitled-3.png
A more personal piece, but it's up to you to interpret it as whatever you want.

I really like the colour combinations of this piece. For some reason, I seem to get a feeling of sadness and oppression when I see this. It's beautiful! :)

Last edited:
I really like the colour combinations of this piece. For some reason, I seem to get a feeling of sadness and oppression when I see this. It's beautiful! :)
Thanks for the complement. That's what I love about art; everyone has different interpretations, but they're all legitimate. ^^

This is my FIRST human drawing,but I personally think it's my best.What do you guys think?

Drawing of Italy Dressed for Halloween
Paaastaaaa~ I love it. Very cute.

Speaking of Hetalia...http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/wahwahweeowoo/002.jpg bad scanner is bad
I drew this for one of the cover title pages for our Writer's Craft magazine. Basically, at the end of the course, we created a magazine that showcases our short stories and poems for the school to read. We separated each section by a different theme, which represents a continent. I got North America. So when I was coming up with ideas on what to do, I basically said this over and over in my head: "Try not to include stereotypes, this is not Hetalia. Try not to include stereotypes, this is not Hetalia. Try not to include stereotypes, this is not Hetalia." Then after, "Dammit, I drew a cowboy for America!" D:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Thanks for the complement. That's what I love about art; everyone has different interpretations, but they're all legitimate. ^^

Paaastaaaa~ I love it. Very cute.

Speaking of Hetalia...http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/wahwahweeowoo/002.jpg bad scanner is bad
I drew this for one of the cover title pages for our Writer's Craft magazine. Basically, at the end of the course, we created a magazine that showcases our short stories and poems for the school to read. We separated each section by a different theme, which represents a continent. I got North America. So when I was coming up with ideas on what to do, I basically said this over and over in my head: "Try not to include stereotypes, this is not Hetalia. Try not to include stereotypes, this is not Hetalia. Try not to include stereotypes, this is not Hetalia." Then after, "Dammit, I drew a cowboy for America!" D:

Lol the one with the drums on it's back looks like a mermaid...

Aegon

How do you go about scanning your artwork, may I ask?

Calamity™

aka Lamia
How do you go about scanning your artwork, may I ask?

We had an A3 scanner back in School which is when I scanned all of the ones I've shown. It's better than the one I have at home, so I guess it was just a good scanner. Most of the time we'd just hand our work in to our teacher and she scanned them for us.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Well, this is for my La La Land 2 FanFic... meowth_city and me 7 years ago in the story. PiPa (Me) was badly injured and this is how they met. PiPa had a bad past but as she grew up with Meow, she forgot her bad past, but Meow didn't...
Yeah, massive cut across her face, which explains she hides her face like emo style and bruises...like strangled and stuff... nya~

[img139]http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o621/PopPrincess_Lyra/youngpipameow.png[/img139]

Love the drawings Lyra. The fanfic sounds really interesting. ^^

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/wahwahweeowoo/Art-HumanBody1.jpg?t=1350192944 This was done in my "Introduction to drawing the human body" course. At the time I was 17 and everyone else was 40+. Needless to say, since everyone's skill level was way above mine, I felt very...how do I put it...intimidated at times. XD I took watercolour lessons for 4 years before, and this was the first time I used gouache and soft charcoal...ehhh...and I still can't draw the body to save my life.

On a less serious note... The Final Battle: Brock VS Cyrus what is this i dont even know

Izanagi

'Sup!
happy_birthday__by_magatzu-d5e1g6s.jpg

It is probably not best but I really do like how this one turned out. This was a birthday gift to a friend of mine. As it was gift, I wanted it to be the best it could be. I think it went pretty well. He liked it anyways.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm always jealous of someone if they could draw some mechanical or metallic creature like MetalSeadramon. I'm sure you, Izanagi, had a reference on hand, but I imagine it was a pain to detail it.

Made a banner for the Artist's Corner Club as they were having a contest for a club banner. It's huge, but I may shrink it if it wins. (I don't know the exact size the club manager wants it in.) I started it last Tuesday, but I worked on it on-and-off over the week until I finished it yesterday.

(I Google'd the planet Earth, so I didn't draw it. Was planning on it, but I didn't have the patience for it.)

[SPOILER="Artist's Corner banner][IMG139]http://imageshack.us/a/img267/792/theworldisours.png[/IMG139][/SPOILER]

[IMG139]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee197/helloMrNude/Deathbot.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee197/helloMrNude/Fatmancopy-1.jpg[/IMG139]

There must be something wrong with me.