• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

She Waits (One-Shot)

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Since it's two hours into Valentine's Day where I am, I thought I'd post this now. It's just something I threw together in the past two hours - was crying for part of it, so there are bound to be plenty of typos. I hope you like it anyway.

She Waits​

The sun hangs low in the sky. A few children still play in the street, their laughter and yelling almost jarring in the incomplete silence. Shadows chase each other toward darkness as the light slowly fades.

She still sits there, waiting. Almost human in appearance, her long white dress billowing out and falling in soft folds with the light breeze, she waits. Her beautiful green hair falls into her garnet eyes as she gazes hopefully up the road, not moving from her perch upon a brick fence.

The day's life slowly ticks away. Her eyes glisten with unshed tears but she refuses to cry, her eyes still fixed upon the street. Beside her lies a single red rose, wilted from the hours of sunlight with no water. Has she waited here all day? Only she has the answer.

The children's laughter means nothing to her. She watches and waits, trembling with cold but steadfastly holding her post. A single petal, the colour of dried blood, detaches from the rose and flutters feebly in the breeze, falling softly to land at her feet.

The sun sinks and each child slowly returns to his mother's welcoming arms. Still she waits, her shivers more pronounced as the evening changes to night. Her expectant eyes gaze up the road, still hopeful, now slightly pleading.

She waits. The night darkens, spheres of light bursting into life atop street lamps. Now she prays, her thoughts spoken aloud to the night, begging and pleading for her angel.

Please let my angel come. Please send my angel. Please let him come for me.

The night remains silent. No living creature answers her prayers.

The flash of headlights draws her attention away from the place she has watched for hours. A dark car rumbles closer, a single light blinking as it prepares to turn. It passes before her, moving softly into the silent alcove waiting for it. The rumbles cease as she turns her attention back to the road, her gaze now desperate rather than expectant.

A figure steps from the vehicle, closing its door with a thud. Soft footsteps approach her but she does not turn.

"Gardevoir, come inside," the human pleads. "You'll catch cold out here."

I must wait for my angel.

"Don't you remember?"

Yes. But I must wait.

And wait she does, her eyes still fixed on the empty road. A warm hand closes over her own but she pays no attention.

"He won't come, Gardevoir. You know he won't."

And this time she lowers her eyes and tilts her head down.

I know.

She allows the human to help her up and lead her inside, leaving the wilting rose behind. Her entire body aches from sitting still all day, but she refuses to complain. Pulling her hand free of her human's grip, she moves by herself to the room where she sleeps.

Her bed is neatly made, its pillow straight and white blanket perfectly smooth. A book lies upon her pillow, open to the first page. Held to the paper with a simple hairclip is a simple greeting card in the shape of a heart.

I will always love you, the words neatly written inside say. Every Valentine's Day I will be there for you.

She falls upon her bed and draws the book close to her chest. A single tear falls onto the card and suddenly her body is trembling, wracked by violent sobs. Her eyes blink and squeeze shut, melting garnets spilling their despair onto the immaculate sheets.

You promised, she sobs. You promised you would always be here for me.

She knows. But knowing has not stopped her hoping. Every Valentine's Day past, her angel has come.

Why did you die? she sobs feebly. Why... why couldn't I take your place? Why couldn't I be there?

She had hoped that even death could not stop true love.

Why...?

Her tears slow and her shudders cease, her head resting on the damp pillow. Eventually soft breathing replaces the ragged gasps. The book stays in her arms, her heart beating beside the treasured memories.

Outside, a pale hand lifts the wilted rose from its place. Two loving ruby eyes gaze toward the window where she sleeps. And a soft voice whispers into the night.

Death will never stop true love.

Last edited:

asperger1981

good reader
You're attraction to romantic tragedy seems to be as strong as ever, and so is your talent. The way you avoided mentioning who was 'he' is a perfect example of "how to do an open ending for dummies" (which guys like me being that dummie)

If you need a co-writter, here is a volunteer willing to learn and with too much free time.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
You know, I'd wondered where you had gone. Good to have you back.

And again, extremely good work on your part. You do really well at composing stories that are equally strong in all parts. I also have to say I totally did not see the end coming, so that's to your credit.

#Chimecho#

Truth[N]Love
Though nothing really happened, it still contained a dramatic touch to it. The ending either indicated that he came back as a ghost, or that they assumed him to be dead. I am going for the first, but I really don't know?

It was nice.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Thank you all for the reviews.

If you need a co-writter, here is a volunteer willing to learn and with too much free time.

Sorry, but I'm not good with co-writing anything. I'll keep that in mind, though.

You know, I'd wondered where you had gone.

Just a little writer's block. I seem to be mostly lurking these days.

I also have to say I totally did not see the end coming, so that's to your credit.

Thank you ^^ I was hoping by setting an expectant but desolate mood throughout the story, the ending might have more impact. I guess it worked as I planned.

The ending either indicated that he came back as a ghost, or that they assumed him to be dead. I am going for the first, but I really don't know?

Yes - my first attempt at an open ending. I wrote it as though he had died and returned in spirit form, but it's vague enough for you to imagine what you prefer.

Hopefully this won't be the last fic you see from me.

M-Dub

Μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω ᾿Αχιλῆος
Wow. This is really great, and the emotions come across clear and strong. The ending was quite a shock, to say the least. Poor, poor Gardevoir. She's going a little mad, methinks.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!