• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shield With A Twist! (570)

TicoPokemonMaster

it was today's episode if you live in the U.S

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Finally, the UK beat the US to airing the last episodes, but it is strange.

Ok to the episode.

I really liked this i liked how ash made a really good start and using his 'counter-shield' was clever. Then fantina uses it against him was truly riveting. Then Chimmy uses his great skills to counter that will-o-wisp go chimmy!

And wow jessie, nice one on the contest, is this going to be the time jessie gets enough ribbons to enter the grand festival, because you know what happened last time, she had to steal her way in and she got caught ehehehe.

Mario-Sonic

Former NSider
What bothered me was when Chimchar defeated Driftblim, it didn't took some damage from the aftermatch ability. My brother was furious about Driftblim getting hit by a ground type move because it was levitating, which makes it immune to ground type moves.

Even if Fantina's Drifblim had Aftermath as its ability, it wouldn't have been been activated anyway. Chimchar's final attack was Flamethrower, which doesn't require physical contact with Drifblim.

If your bro's referring to Dig, it wasn't the move itself that hurt Drifblim. Ash simply used it to have Chimchar jump on it; Dig made sure that Drifblim wouldn't notice that Chimchar was coming from behind. Chimchar hurling it to the ground was no attack, much less part of Dig; it was nothing more than the use of its physical strength.

Don't forget that Drifblim could've also had the Unburden ability.

Anyway, it seems strange that you never see any Pokemon use Snore or Sleep Talk. Those moves only work when the Pokemon is asleep, which could be a decent counter against Hypnosis. Imagine a sleeping Pikachu using Sleep Talk to use Thunderbolt against Drifblim.

milenadrg

I am disappointed because Pikachu lost, but the part "Chimchar Vs. Drifloon" was awesome. But, anyways, battle was great...
...and Barry must keep his Big Penguin out of it's Pokeball-_-

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Jessie finally wins her 2. ribbon, pity that they rushed it. If only she could steal Pikachu... Fantina was one tough daughter of a bi**h, she used Ash's plan against him. But, as soon as I saw that Chimchar was the last one left, I knew what would happen. It was all set for the Flamethrower to get more strength from the Will O' Wisp and fry Drifblim. Ash was lucky Ghost Pokemon aren't durable, he'll have much more work against Byron's menaces.

Mega Typhlosion

One of the greatest battles I've seen in the anime. I'm glad to see how much Ash is improving in Sinnoh. I remeber his first Gym Battles when he won nobody knows how (not even him).

Counter-shield was great. That is what Ash needs to do to become a great trainer. Have some non-basic strategy to work.

It's just me or Chimchar is by far one of the strongest Pokémon Ash have ever had?? Maybe barring Pikachu, I've never seen a Pokémon used so many times by him (and winning almost always).

masterleo

Order Up!
It's just me or Chimchar is by far one of the strongest Pokémon Ash have ever had?? Maybe barring Pikachu, I've never seen a Pokémon used so many times by him (and winning almost always).
It's strong all right, but not as strong as ash's most famous fire type of all: Charazard!

Is it just me or did you want to kill Fantina over the annoying "french" accent?

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
I loved the episode, mostly because Barry was in it. The battling was great and I wasn't too dissapointed by Pikachu being knocked out that quickly. Pikachu aren't the most durable Pokemon after all. Buizel and Chimchar are hands down my favorite Pokemon in Ash's current team.

I was really happy that this episode didn't have any Team Rocket/Twerp interaction and that they took the time to get Jessie anothe ribbon. I expect this is how they'll get her enough ribbons for the grand festival and that she'll probably only enter one other contest with Dawn before the grand festival.

SmartD

Man, that was an awesome Gym Battle. Ash has a really good strategy, unlike Paul, he's too mean. Chimchar really has good skills, mananging to beat Drifblim. I can't wait for the next Gym Battle.

I love the part when fantina loses!

Referee: Mismagius is unable to battle! Ash's Pikachu wins!
Fantina: NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!

lol

Deicario

I believe I can fly.
I enjoyed the episode, if not as much as previous gym battles. The counter shield was interesting and Barry was a bit crazy. Go figure. The Jessie sidestory was nice if a bit rushed. And Pikachu was once again proven to be not as strong a Pokemon as everyone in the show seems to think. Someone whould make a list of every Pokemon to have beaten Pikachu. Or perhaps not.
7.7/10.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Love how they handled Jessie's second ribbion. Only thing is they NEED too let her in the GF.I mean she has 2 now!

C.J. Ray

I wanted Shaymin! :(
I really really enjoyed this gym battle. The Sinnoh Gyms are much more fun and tense than their Hoenn counterparts. Heck, Kanto and Johto have nothing to say after watching this. I know Kanto was written when the writers were just starting the story, but they could have taken a few minutes to learn from this.

Props:
* Ash finally establishes his style of battling - using attacks as shields to protect his Pokemon from nasty stuff
* Fantina's Drifblim becoming unstoppable until the end by forming its own shield, then getting pwned by Chimchar's point-blank flamethrower while trying to use Hypnosis.
* Buizel gets more screentime. If anyone is going to evolve in Ash's team after Grotle, it's Buizel. :)
* Pikachu not winning the final round, but doing some nifty damage.

Slops:
* Fantina screaming "NOOOOO!" after her first two Pokemon faint. Sheesh, the writers were really playing her up as a diva. :(
* Gengar. Seriously, if you've seen one freaking Gengar, you've seen them all. I would have liked Fantina to use Dusknoir instead.

Boomguy

Don't forget that Drifblim could've also had the Unburden ability.

Anyway, it seems strange that you never see any Pokemon use Snore or Sleep Talk. Those moves only work when the Pokemon is asleep, which could be a decent counter against Hypnosis. Imagine a sleeping Pikachu using Sleep Talk to use Thunderbolt against Drifblim.

Ok first things first there is no held items in the anime except for natural items like Marowaks Thick Club. So the Unburden ability is useless. If Pikachu used Sleep Talk Tbolt then it was still useless because the Will o Wisp, Psychic shield was too powerfull

Lawwwl this was such a cute episode.
I still can't get over Fantina's voice. It's the sexiest thing ever. Especially when she screams "NOOOOOOOO".

Well the battle was certainly a disappointment in terms of Pikachu.
You'd think that after years of training, it'd be the strongest one in the team.
The rest of the battle was really cool, although I do think Ash abused the countershield too much.
Drifblim's fire/psychic shield was a little too strong, I have to say (HELL YEAH PSYCHIC!)... and flamethrower absorbing it doesn't make any sense at all.
But that doesn't make the episode any less intense and awesome.

Yay Barry's tagging along!
This should be fun.
I'm looking forward to the next few episodes!