1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Shin Megami Tensei Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by AuraChannelerChris, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Persona Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin. Those two are one of my FAVORITE ones out of the Shin Megami Tensei series ever.
    The story really broke my heart during the middle and the end. Especially Eternal Punishment too... *sniff* Oh Tatsuya ; n ;

I can't wait to get the PSP version of Eternal Punishment. I'm currently playing the PS1 version right now.

2. Recon

Recon 11001101011101010100

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. Arahabaki

Arahabaki Come at me bro.

4. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Magikazam!"

5. Zazie

Zazie So 1991

I was kind of excited until the persona 4 animation team was mentioned. Devil Survivor 2 is probably a little more difficult to do poorly however. and I know I am going to watch the series anyway.

I just hope they don't end up beating the game with a dead horse like they did with Persona 4.

This reminds me that I still need to play Devil Survivor 2, I have had the game since it released and still never got around to playing it much.

6. Recon

Makes me regret getting DS 2, though I'll probably trade it in for the remake if there is one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. The Admiral

The Admiral solid state survivor

Guess that's another anime for me to think sounds great at first, then to never, ever bother watching because it will probably be awful.

[img139]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae249/Albtraumfabrik/tumblr_m8gdu7HQ8Q1qia9qjo1_400.png[/img139]

Do we really need more of these expanded rereleases? I'm getting a little sick of them.

8. AuraChannelerChris

Here's a teaser video of 23 seconds of the anime adaptation.

Leave the theory about selling the DS version to GameStop. I'm really not very upset about this.

I REEEEEEEEEEEALLY want to see a voiced scene of Airi & Kama.

9. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

I'm glad the Devil Survivor series is getting the same love ATLUS gives to the Persona series. That's the main thing I'm taking out of this and the inevitable DeSu 2 re-release (voices and high res sprites alone will make me double dip).

EDIT: So, there's two DeSu 2 websites. ds2.atlusnet.jp and ds2-p.atlusnet.jp. I assume that this means that the inevitable DeSu 2 sequel/enhanced port will be called "Devil Survivor 2 P____."

It also means that this will be the fourth MegaTen game on the 3DS in the span of just 2 years. Three more and the 3DS will be equal to the PS2 in the number of MegaTen games.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. sceptile33

sceptile33 Well-Known Member

I've never played any Shin Megami Tensei games, and I'm interested in trying it out. What game should I start with?

11. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

Gonna give this series a try.Hope it lives up to the hype.

12. Recon

It depends on the system you have. If you have a 3DS, start with Devil Survivor Overclocked, and when it comes out, Megami Tensei IV. If you have a PS2 or PS3, definitely get Persona 4 as it is on of the best SMT games and one of the best RPGs. If you have a PSP, Persona 3 Portable is your best bet. PS Vita? Go with Persona 4 Golden, a remastered edition of Persona 4 with bonus content. If you have a DS, then try Devil Survivor 2.

Odds are the DeSu 2 remake game will be released for 3DS. If it isn't, then oh well.

13. AuraChannelerChris

WELL...

*Opens repertoire*

If you have a PS2, you're bound to play many SMT titles. You can start out with the Persona series, or start with Nocturne (it has Dante from Devil May Cry in it as a bonus).

If you have a PSP, you can access almost all Persona games except for Eternal Punishment, & 4 on the Vita.

If you have a DS, you can play the Devil Survivor series and possibly even try Strange Journey. If you live in America (unless you live in Europe and wishes to wait till February), you can try Devil Survivor: Overclocked (the first 3DS to be fully voiced).

Really, any option is very good. The sequels can be played and be enjoyed fully without having to play the prequels as they're not really mentioned that much.

14. sceptile33

sceptile33 Well-Known Member

I have a 3DS and a PS3. Are any of the PS2 games available on PSN?

15. Recon

I know that that Persona games aren't, but I'm not sure about about Nocturne, though I highly doubt it's on PSN.

16. AuraChannelerChris

As far as I know about PSN, no, unless you can somehow order copies online if your PS3 has backward compatibility.

But your 3DS can play all the games, but they're all hard copies for the moment.

17. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

Persona 3 is on PSN

18. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

I'd start with Devil Survivor: Overclocked. Devil Survivor is a great way to introduce yourself to the other 3/DS SMT games (this is where you're gonna have to look if you don't have a PS2 - Persona 3 FES is your only option on the PS3). I'd play the 3/DS games in the following order:

Devil Survivor: Overclocked ->
    Devil Survivor 2 ->
    Strange Journey ->
    Soul Hackers ->
    Shin Megami Tensei IV

19. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

Are you guys seriously suggesting Persona titles to a newbie?

Oh boy.

I'd say just get Overlocked first.

20. AuraChannelerChris

Wait, what's so bad about suggesting the Persona series?