• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shin Megami Tensei Thread

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

ForeverFlame

I've heard its a big improvement over Devil Survivor 1 so I am really excited.

The graphical difference is sort of like Diamond and Pearl to HeartGold and SoulSilver. The same, but a lot more refined.

The real difference is the soundtrack. DS2's soundtrack is a home run. Every single song is amazing.

The real difference is the soundtrack. DS2's soundtrack is a home run. Every single song is amazing.

Not to say DS1's was necessarily bad. I liked a few of the songs, especially the really upbeat tension song, no idea what it was called. But it had basically 3 tracks and that was it.

I haven't sat down to a nice SMT game for a while. I've got DDS1 and P3 basically at endgame and yet I just can't beat 'em. DDS just because I don't want to grind for more points for abilities, P3 just because I keep chipping away at it. :/

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
Except you don't need to master every Mantra to make DDS beatable (though it sure as hell is fun), so I dunno what really is stopping you from finishing it? Digressions aside, I recommend Devil Survivor 2, it's a pretty solid game and a big improvement over the first game's shortcomings IMO (As with most games recently, I play the Japanese release first).

Why did you do this? Now Elice is going to drift into this section.

I have almost all of the Persona games in one form or another and need to finish them, and also Strange Journey which I need to finish... and probably a few others that I'm forgetting, too.

This, though, is legitimately interesting.

Except you don't need to master every Mantra to make DDS beatable (though it sure as hell is fun), so I dunno what really is stopping you from finishing it? Digressions aside, I recommend Devil Survivor 2, it's a pretty solid game and a big improvement over the first game's shortcomings IMO (As with most games recently, I play the Japanese release first).

Where the **** did you come back from?

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
Where the **** did you come back from?

You sound disappointed :[

I came back from... well, the land of boredom I guess.

I am also pretty interested in the EP thing for the PSP, but I find it more hilarious that this is the case considering the joke Persona comics I have read regarding Persona remakes.

You sound disappointed :[

Not really.

I am also pretty interested in the EP thing for the PSP, but I find it more hilarious that this is the case considering the joke Persona comics I have read regarding Persona remakes.

You probably also have the PS1 copy anyway, don't you?

That's one of the many PS1 games that I wish I had that I don't think I ever owned; keep in mind that I had an older brother who once had a fairly impressive PS1 collection, so yeah.

Zazie

So 1991
The graphical difference is sort of like Diamond and Pearl to HeartGold and SoulSilver. The same, but a lot more refined.

I meant gameplay-wise. Physical attacks were a little weak in Devil Suvivor 1, but I heard Devil Survivor 2 fixes it.

Besides Devil Surivor games I also have Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Strange Journey and Devil Survivor: Radiou vs Kind Abbadon. I want to pick up Digital Devil Saga and the 2 Persona 2's as well as the Persona 4: the Golden (normally I skip over remakes but Persona 4 is my favorite video game)

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
You probably also have the PS1 copy anyway, don't you?

That's one of the many PS1 games that I wish I had that I don't think I ever owned; keep in mind that I had an older brother who once had a fairly impressive PS1 collection, so yeah.

I played both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment on the PS1, so I guess technically I did have a copy. I no longer have them because $$$, but that got blown off.

Besides Devil Surivor games I also have Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Strange Journey and Devil Survivor: Radiou vs Kind Abbadon. I want to pick up Digital Devil Saga and the 2 Persona 2's as well as the Persona 4: the Golden (normally I skip over remakes but Persona 4 is my favorite video game)

I don't think P4 Golden is even out yet, and it's for the Vita, which I'm apprehensive about since the library isn't big enough yet.

I don't think P4 Golden is even out yet, and it's for the Vita, which I'm apprehensive about since the library isn't big enough yet.

I think that's the only think on Vita that I'm even remotely interested in at present, and even then... ****ing expanded remakes :| but I'm a little mad about how PSP backward compatibility is being handled with that anyway, so.

garren

kitties will rule
my dad sold most of my persona games. now all i have is persona 4. working on getting fes and p3p from gamefly. i have to say my favorite smt game has to be nocturn and i hope its remade (with voice acting and better controlls) for the vita or the 3ds.

MarbleZone

All lies and jest
Anybody familiar with the Persona games should recognize my sig. ;)

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and the sole reason I still can't get into real-time battle RPGs. I think I was fortunate enough to play P4 first and P3 after, because in my opinion, I think I'd have felt disappointed if it'd been the other way around.

P4's characters were much more fleshed out, and direct control of every party member is nice, but it still feels stripped down from what P3 had to offer. Not to mention that the story becomes ridiculous after the killer is caught.

By the way, anybody else ever tried SMT Nocturne? Getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly was never that satisfying.

Last edited:
Except you don't need to master every Mantra to make DDS beatable (though it sure as hell is fun), so I dunno what really is stopping you from finishing it?

I didn't say that, it's just that I was underpowered. I supposed I implied maybe too much for all audiences, but my level is at least halfway appropriate I just need better mantras for some of my characters. That's all.

Grinding for the Mantras later on is just a little...Eh. It's just grinding, so it's as boring as one might expect.

garren

kitties will rule
[QUOTE
By the way, anybody else ever tried SMT Nocturne? Getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly was never that satisfying.[/QUOTE]

i used action replay lol, but i sent it back to gamefly

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
my dad sold most of my persona games. now all i have is persona 4. working on getting fes and p3p from gamefly. i have to say my favorite smt game has to be nocturn and i hope its remade (with voice acting and better controlls) for the vita or the 3ds.

I don't think it's going to be remade a 2nd time.

Since Nocturne Chronicles came out a couple years ago anyway.

ForeverFlame

Waiting for Persona 4: The Golden to come out. That'll be my first SMT game.

You should definitely back track afterwards and play some of the older stuff. The following games are all great:

Persona 3
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
Nocturne (this is the best IMO)
Strange Journey
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Devil Survivor 2

At the very least, you should play one from each series. So one main series game, one Persona, one Devil Summoner, one Digital Devil Saga, and one Devil Survivor. They're all different from each other, but they have the same demons and mythology (God is a douchebag, and if a character is blonde and pale, they're Lucifer, no matter if they're male, female, young, or old).

Problem is, you'll be hard pressed to find some of those, such as Nocturne and Devil Summoner 1, but always keep an eye out. Also, if you plan on the Persona series I'd recommend P3P, if not, definitely play P3 before P4 because the improvements really make you not want to go back, in some cases.