• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shin Megami Tensei Thread

Recon

I've never played any Shin Megami Tensei games, and I'm interested in trying it out. What game should I start with?

It depends on the system you have. If you have a 3DS, start with Devil Survivor Overclocked, and when it comes out, Megami Tensei IV. If you have a PS2 or PS3, definitely get Persona 4 as it is on of the best SMT games and one of the best RPGs. If you have a PSP, Persona 3 Portable is your best bet. PS Vita? Go with Persona 4 Golden, a remastered edition of Persona 4 with bonus content. If you have a DS, then try Devil Survivor 2.

Odds are the DeSu 2 remake game will be released for 3DS. If it isn't, then oh well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I've never played any Shin Megami Tensei games, and I'm interested in trying it out. What game should I start with?

WELL...

*Opens repertoire*

If you have a PS2, you're bound to play many SMT titles. You can start out with the Persona series, or start with Nocturne (it has Dante from Devil May Cry in it as a bonus).

If you have a PSP, you can access almost all Persona games except for Eternal Punishment, & 4 on the Vita.

If you have a DS, you can play the Devil Survivor series and possibly even try Strange Journey. If you live in America (unless you live in Europe and wishes to wait till February), you can try Devil Survivor: Overclocked (the first 3DS to be fully voiced).

Really, any option is very good. The sequels can be played and be enjoyed fully without having to play the prequels as they're not really mentioned that much.

Recon

I have a 3DS and a PS3. Are any of the PS2 games available on PSN?

I know that that Persona games aren't, but I'm not sure about about Nocturne, though I highly doubt it's on PSN.

ForeverFlame

I have a 3DS and a PS3. Are any of the PS2 games available on PSN?

I'd start with Devil Survivor: Overclocked. Devil Survivor is a great way to introduce yourself to the other 3/DS SMT games (this is where you're gonna have to look if you don't have a PS2 - Persona 3 FES is your only option on the PS3). I'd play the 3/DS games in the following order:

Devil Survivor: Overclocked ->
Devil Survivor 2 ->
Strange Journey ->
Soul Hackers ->
Shin Megami Tensei IV

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Are you guys seriously suggesting Persona titles to a newbie?

Oh boy.

I'd say just get Overlocked first.

Recon

Also, I believe I should mention that the SMT games are known for being grind-heavy, so be expected to take part in battles often against some weaker opponents.

And if I may go off on a slight tangent here, who was disappointed that DeSu 2 removed the Magetite system? I know I was.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Persona is NOT how people should be introduced into the Shin Megami Tensei series.

AT ALL.

Yes they should be introduced through the first NES game. Those unworthy of enjoying the series will quit in frustration. We've got to have standards for who can enjoy SMT games. Otherwise what will separate us from the lowly fans of other JRPGs.

To address the guy who asked which persona game to try, it depends on your specific genre preferences:

If you like Dungeon Crawlers, try Strange Journey. (it is in 1st person and pretty tough, but still pretty damn good)

If you like Strategy RPG's try Devil Survivor Overclocked or 2.

If you like something that's both a little more traditional and a little more off the wall at the same time there's Persona 3 FES Persona is combination of a traditional RPG with traditional high school life segments. (It works much better than it sounds) You can't control other members of your party in the FES version* however, which may be a sell off for some people.

*I Persona 3 portable and Persona 4 give you optional control over party members, but they aren't for 3DS or PS3.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

Persona isn't necessarily a bad way to begin your SMT experience. It's just that Persona 3/4 are radically different from other SMT games, and starting with them gives you an inaccurate opinion of what a SMT game should be.

Devil Survivor is great because it brings together the old and the new. It features a demon apocalypse, COMPs, law vs chaos, as well as Anime archetypal characters like the ones found in Persona 3/4.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Thank you^

Now lets patiently await the arrival of the Devil Survivor 2 anime. I hope the animators meet the 3 tics of animation.
FLUIDITY, IMPACT AND DETAIL!

Fluidity being how well each animated picture flows in a sequence and if it looks natural and there arent any errors, like for instance in fight scenes.
Impact meaning choosing each sequence and how the events flow together to present the feeling that the source material presents at every opportune moment
Detail provides reference to how each individual drawing looks, if the animators took a keen eye to each scene and made sure everything was properly shaped and correctly placed in each individual drawing.

That is just the animation, if you want to make a great show you gotta have an epic OST and great characters, so lets hope they represent them correctly

ForeverFlame

I figured that would happen. ATLUS has been pretty good with localizations (besides Eternal Punishment, which I don't think is ever happening now). And Soul Hackers was one of the games listed during the Miiverse leak.