• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shine On, Starship Celesteela! (1012)

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
If anything that would portray Guzzlord in a much more tragic light, it's own home world is a hell hole even for his kind. Sending him back would do him more harm than good and the heroes would be hesitate to do it if they know.

True sounds like a no win scenario, if left in the main anime world it would be a threat due to basically being a living black hole, if sent back home it will be miserable living on a dying world whilst its species slowly and painfully goes extinct

EDIT 11:44 am I just read this on Bulbapedia apparently they weren't able to catch Celesteela because of its enormous size which makes no sense considering colossal Pokemon are caught all the time, heck if memory serves the Unova water type Gym Leader (I forgot his name) who battled Cameron owned a Wailord, granted he didn't use it in battle but still I am pretty sure that thing is bigger than Celesteela, albeit lighter for some reason

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I see Celesteela like a Kaguya-hime equivalent in the Pokemon world, flying towards the moon and all.

I see that ride Pokemons were doing attacks too, not just what they're meant to do.

I might need to watch the subs to understand a little bit more since some parts are dialogue heavy.

Bewear should be in videogames like Smash Bros and Pokken, this Pokemon got the moves and can do almost everything.

For a Sophocles episode, it was decent, although he didn't get as much focus on himself compared to his other focused episodes.

DatsRight

Intriguing episode, though being dialogue heavy I can't fully review it until subs emerge. Doesn't seem like the most eventful, though it was unique enough for a second UG episode and TR's inclusion didn't stifle it much.

While Celesteela didn't get a whole lot of development, I kinda liked Sophocles' connection with it, and it actually reacting to his help with a smile.

Not exactly Sophocles-heavy an episode, though his Pokemon got some involvement at the start (not quite sure what ability Charjabug shouting for the wild Grubbin represents though). Interesting that the girls actually solved the final issue of Celesteela's ignition, using their ride Pokemon and Snowy.

Team Rocket felt a bit superfluous, I felt like they could have done more humour with the concept of a 'rocket themed Pokemon', even just an end gag of them getting caught on Celesteela and jetting off with it (and Bewear somehow coming for them in space XD). The battle was meh, though the sunset transition makes it look like Meowth's motion mech actually kept a stalemate for a long while until Celesteela jetted off. An improvement from last time (I found myself oddly rooting for him when he regained composure, it looked like he was going to make things interesting, alas it cut off).

The fact Celesteela didn't get caught or taken back to it's worm hole leaves me wondering if it'll reappear at some point.

He still should have commanded his ride Pokemon Garchomp to use Stone Edge like how Mallow, Lana and Lillie commanded their ride Pokemon IMO. After seeing this episode I'm getting my hopes high for Ash commanding Garchomp someday......after all back in DP I had my hopes high for Gible fully evolving.

There's still plenty of episodes, and Ash has hardly been starved of importance compared to the girls. I could argue if anything Sophocles should have gotten a larger role before Ash, though he did seem to at least be the brains of this function.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
This episode was boring. I am intrigued by Tapu Koko's presence nonetheless.

DatsRight

Forgot to note; another case of Lillie being as enthusiastic and wide eyed as Ash. While everyone else seems wary of Sophocles' story, both of them want to join in.

Looks like Ash is gradually rubbing off of her. XD

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
This episode was boring. I am intrigued by Tapu Koko's presence nonetheless.
I have to agree.

The only good part of this episode when at the end, when Team Rocket came in with their mecha meowth and the events that followed; The classmates using attacks, the fist that was shot out by the mecha meowth and being sent back at them, which then Bewear rode in to scoop up the TRio.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I have to agree.

The only good part of this episode when at the end, when Team Rocket came in with their mecha meowth and the events that followed; The classmates using attacks, the fist that was shot out by the mecha meowth and being sent back at them, which then Bewear rode in to scoop up the TRio.
That part was good but I could barely pay attention most of the episode. I also liked the scene where Charajab summoned the Grubbin and I did like Celesteela flying off. I think it'll return in later episodes.

Forgot to note; another case of Lillie being as enthusiastic and wide eyed as Ash. While everyone else seems wary of Sophocles' story, both of them want to join in.

Looks like Ash is gradually rubbing off of her. XD
Oh yeah, that was a cute moment! :)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It was OK I guess? I don't think Ultra Rangers really represents Pokemon...like at all.

Might end up breezing through the rest of the UB episodes.

DatsRight

It was OK I guess? I don't think Ultra Rangers really represents Pokemon...like at all.

Might end up breezing through the rest of the UB episodes.

I'm fine with the current setup where it doesn't seem too formula driven. We've had one straight up UG episode, one UB that was caught 'off time' and this one was a more laid back episode that converted in an UG episode midway though. At the very least it hasn't turned the whole series into a Power Rangers rip off.

All the stock footage transitions must have taken a good chunk off this episode though.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Just another thought on this episode from me, but I honestly hope they can update the Beast Balls somehow, the reason? In case they ever run into another Celesteela or the same one again they can catch it

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Also I didn't really get how those Beast Balls didn't work on Celesteela at all. They were perfectly catchable in-game and I don't recall what defect the Beast Balls had that prevented Celesteela from getting captured but possibly because of its size.

Zyar

Unknown Member
First of all, I loved the soundtrack used all around this episode, especially those used during Sophocles telling the fairy tail to his pokémon and right at the end, when Celesteela flies off to space. It was a good episode for me; good interactions between the classmates, Sophocles got to establish some kind of bond (as brief as it was) with an Ultra Beast and Charjabug did more than usual. I didn't need that Ultra Guardians recycled sequence though... just a waste of time that could've been used for other stuff.

And now Bewear is truly getting ridiculous. He had no business looking that cool while riding that metal fist to save Team Rocket lol But it continues to make me laugh nonetheless, and I find even more absurd how there's a secret high tech pasage and base built under the school.

I was expecting Tapu Koko to be of more importance this episode. I though it'd notice "something special" in Sophocles or something like that.

As for the lack of battles with the Ultra Beast, it doesn't bother me at all, honestly. I watch Pokémon for more than the fights. Besides, we've only had two Ultra Beasts shown (not counting Poipole) and it makes sense to me the first ones are the ones dealt with in a more peaceful and easier way. I just hope they're really saving the more serious stuff for the conclusion of the UB arc; kind of like in Digimon Tamers, where most of the battles with the Devas weren't so great or difficult or epic, and then the last Deva they had to face in the real world was a freaking mammoth with the size of a building that was destroyin the whole city.

DatsRight

Also I didn't really get how those Beast Balls didn't work on Celesteela at all. They were perfectly catchable in-game and I don't recall what defect the Beast Balls had that prevented Celesteela from getting captured but possibly because of its size.

Because it was rooted into the ground and that interfered with it teleporting it into the ball.

That actually gives a valid explanation why they don't just recall their Pokemon every time they're in trouble or held captive. It seems things can actually interfere with the ball.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I liked this episode a lot. Sophocles got to shine again and show his skills. Team Rocket was pretty funny, especially Bewear. That part was awesome. I don't mind them not fighting Celesteela, not all Ultra Beasts have to be killing machines. I'm sure we'll get plenty of that stuff once we get to Necrozma, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nebby will come back for that as well. And besides, the threat of Celesteela burning down the entire forest was enough to keep the tension high.

Also: Insert song!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Because it was rooted into the ground and that interfered with it teleporting it into the ball.

That actually gives a valid explanation why they don't just recall their Pokemon every time they're in trouble or held captive. It seems things can actually interfere with the ball.
Yeah, kinda like how Ingrain works in the games because Pokémon under that can't be withdrawn into their Poké Balls. Using a similar principle, it could be said that this prevented Celesteela from being drawn into the Beast Balls Ash and Kiawe threw at it but I did wish that it got captured at some point in the episode.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Yeah, kinda like how Ingrain works in the games because Pokémon under that can't be withdrawn into their Poké Balls. Using a similar principle, it could be said that this prevented Celesteela from being drawn into the Beast Balls Ash and Kiawe threw at it but I did wish that it got captured at some point in the episode.

It was significantly less stupid of a reason that it is too big.

I'm still disappointed Sophocles didn't catch Celesteela but at this point it is me nit picking what is personally an otherwise decent episode.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It was significantly less stupid of a reason that it is too big.

I'm still disappointed Sophocles didn't catch Celesteela but at this point it is me nit picking what is personally an otherwise decent episode.
The only reason why I thought that it was too big was because I couldn't come up with any other good reason to explain why Celesteela can't be caught in the Beast Balls but anyway I said that it couldn't get caught possibly it was too big rather than it was definitely too big (anyway it would be dumb because we've seen a Trainer own a Wailord in the past). Still because Ingrained wild Pokémon can be caught in the games it already annoys me enough that game logic doesn't get applied to the anime although that will always be the case.

Yeah I kinda wished Sophocles would have caught Celesteela because he was the one who was closest to Celesteela.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This episode wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped it would be, but the overall premise was what I expected: the gang spends most of the episode digging out Celesteela, and then Team Rocket interferes and tries to take Celesteela for their own. I assumed Team Rocket would learn Celesteela is an Ultra Beast and that would be their reason for wanting it, but instead, they were drawn to it because it's a rocket. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I appreciate that all of the Ultra Guardians were involved this time—especially the girls, who tend not to get as big a piece of the action as the boys. Lillie's idea for creating a barrier was pretty clever, and the girls made good use of their Ride Pokémon, as well as their partner Pokémon. In fact, during the scuffle with Team Rocket, the only one who wasn't doing anything active was Sophocles. I expected Celesteela to be more dangerous for the Ultra Guardians to deal with, but even though they didn't actually battle it, it was still presented as a legitimate threat, because by launching, it would (unintentionally) burn down the bamboo grove. While that might not affect Ash and his friends (since they would be able to fly away), it would certainly affect Pokémon living in the area. Not to mention the overall damage the loss of the bamboo grove would be to the local ecosystem.

Was it really necessary for Celesteela to have been stuck in the ground for 200 years? I suppose it was an interesting way to tie it to the tale of Starship Kaguya, since it leaves open the question of whether the folk tale was inspired by Celesteela; but it also begs the question of how no one had discovered it and tried digging it out until Sophocles did.

I'm starting to suspect the Ultra Beasts will appear again in the future. Perhaps the Ultra Guardians end up going to Ultra Space themselves, where they encounter the Ultra Beasts again. It just seems rather odd that, aside from Nihilego, the Ultra Beasts have all been dealt with without a legitimate battle. Granted, we've only seen Buzzwole and Celesteela, but still...

Ash should've had a more important role in this episode though, his role was quite unimportant for a protagonist. Overall, 6/10.
Just because Ash is the protagonist doesn't mean he has to have the majority of the spotlight in every single major plot episode. Besides, he did play a role in battling Team Rocket. This episode was more about Sophocles and his connection with Celesteela (even if that connection wasn't very strong).

Also, I really hope somebody other than Ash can catch an UB. Even if it's just for a small moment like Buzzwole, which would be most likely, it'd still be nice to see Kiawe, Mallow and the others.... maybe even the TRio in one episode... get that honor.
Don't forget Kiawe tried to catch Celesteela in thsi episode, so it's not as though Ash is the only one allowed to use Beast Balls. And don't get your hopes up for the TRio catching an Ultra Beast. I highly doubt that would happen.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
good episode, and it was a pretty good compromise to have some actual tension from celesteela (and TR for once) while still not making it a villain, and we had actual teamwork, but still, please make the next one more malicious (and I hope we see celesteela again, given how it's still in their world)
EDIT: I'd rank the UBs' treatment in their episodes like this:
Nihilego>Poipole>Celesteela>Buzzwole

Last edited:

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I noticed someone did some clarification on why Celesteela wasn't caught, it was rooted in the ground, which for me makes more sense than it being too big to be caught, at by Pokemon logic it makes more sense. Just my opinion :)