• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shine On, Starship Celesteela! (1012)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
They could've just shown me Bewear's rescue and I'd have been satisfied with this episode.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
at this point only the alola protectors are one thing to look forward to in the sun/moon series as Mallow soars on a Flygon. im glad she made use of him to an extent but i honestly cant care about the UBs in the game or anime. its gotten down to finding my fav pkmn getting some screen time.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
at this point only the alola protectors are one thing to look forward to in the sun/moon series as Mallow soars on a Flygon. im glad she made use of him to an extent but i honestly cant care about the UBs in the game or anime. its gotten doen to finding my fav pkmn getting some screen time.
I don't remember seeing Flygon doing too much in this episode other than using moves to minimise the impact of the rocket blasts from Celesteela. I remember it used Rock Slide to contain the blast at least. But I still think at least the Ultra Guardians did a decent job with Celesteela but I still felt like they could have done more.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I don't remember seeing Flygon doing too much in this episode other than using moves to minimise the impact of the rocket blasts from Celesteela. I remember it used Rock Slide to contain the blast at least. But I still think at least the Ultra Guardians did a decent job with Celesteela but I still felt like they could have done more.

im just loosely following the anime at this point. saw up to the end of the Solgaleo arc and a few eps after that but i lost whatever remaining interest in the anime after that. i'll see some eps here and now when they air on TV but im not attached much to the anime series at this point. seeing what Mallow will do with Flygon is all i have left in the series. that said, thats the most ive seen Mallow use of Flygon, mostly its just soaring scenes and the regular partner pokemon take the rest of the scenes.

the sun and moon anime really wasnt that great, they had some good and serious eps. its overall rating on a scale of 1->10 is a meh. the previous gen 1->6 anime held my attention to a significantly greater degree.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Mallow's Flygon gets a fair bit of limelight in the spa episode (episode 86 I think) if that's any consolation.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Mallow's Flygon gets a fair bit of limelight in the spa episode (episode 86 I think) if that's any consolation.

thank you for the heads up, im gonna have to find that ep now. its gonna be 4 months before the eps air on the tv station but thats why i still keep it on the PVR schedule.

i miss the DP anime where drew got his Flygon in the contest battles, Flygon doesnt get too much screen time unless its a trained pokemon by a trainer (Jirachi movie not included). i dont think i saw the Jirachi movie yet....

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
thank you for the heads up, im gonna have to find that ep now. its gonna be 4 months before the eps air on the tv station but thats why i still keep it on the PVR schedule.

i miss the DP anime where drew got his Flygon in the contest battles, Flygon doesnt get too much screen time unless its a trained pokemon by a trainer (Jirachi movie not included). i dont think i saw the Jirachi movie yet....
Personally I wish that some of the Dragon-type Ride Pokémon got more attention because I like Dragon-types. But it wasn’t just limited to Flygon. I think all of the Ride Pokémon have suffered a similar fate.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Personally I wish that some of the Dragon-type Ride Pokémon got more attention because I like Dragon-types. But it wasn’t just limited to Flygon. I think all of the Ride Pokémon have suffered a similar fate.

i do find the ride pokemon do coincide with the characters rather well, Ash getting chomp as his gible never got fully evolved. Ashes' gible was just hilarious (absolutely memorable) in the anime with its piplup GPS lock-on feature and its creative ways of grabbing hold of opponents to launch draco meteor. im personally not a fan of chomp but its about time Ash got a chomp on a regular basis. i guess dragon types lost their shine after gen5 anime where they maintained some sort of stature along side the gen6 fairies but they have been left of the the side for the most part.

i honestly loved any scene where that Zorua did its person impersonations to fool Georgia/Bianca , ash's gible/piplup interaction and the various Flygon appearances. gen6 anime was one of my fave but the other mentioned appearances/interactions made the previous anime rather memorable.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
i do find the ride pokemon do coincide with the characters rather well, Ash getting chomp as his gible never got fully evolved. Ashes' gible was just hilarious (absolutely memorable) in the anime with its piplup GPS lock-on feature and its creative ways of grabbing hold of opponents to launch draco meteor. im personally not a fan of chomp but its about time Ash got a chomp on a regular basis. i guess dragon types lost their shine after gen5 anime where they maintained some sort of stature along side the gen6 fairies but they have been left of the the side for the most part.

i honestly loved any scene where that Zorua did its person impersonations to fool Georgia/Bianca , ash's gible/piplup interaction and the various Flygon appearances. gen6 anime was one of my fave but the other mentioned appearances/interactions made the previous anime rather memorable.
Yeah it feels like for some reason the Ride Pokémon fit well with their respective Ultra Guardian because they share similar characteristics. I think there’s some impression Dragons are seen to be powerful and cool even though I felt it has somewhat faded away since the introduction of Fairies. It could be why most of the Ultra Guardians’s Ride Pokémon are Dragon-type, as well as having a wide range of attacks for coverage.

DatsRight

I appreciate we've at least had a couple episodes now where the Ride Pokemon have gotten limelight and even a bit of characterisation, suggesting the writers weren't satisfied with their 'prop' role beforehand.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Let me just get this out of the way: though the name change that happened to Celesteela made the legend have to have some names changed (resulting in the loss of the outright by-name reference to Kaguya), it's admirable that TPCi was able to keep the legend as intact as it did. Literally the only thing different is the name (Kaguya to Celeste; again, because of the franchise-wide name change from Tekkaguya to Celesteela). Considering that the legend is how Celesteela gains its name, TPCi could've very well created a plot hole if anything went wrong. But their localization worked out perfectly. So, kudos!

For the first time in the dub's history, a Pokemon is part of the Who's That Pokemon narration.

Okay, Meowth's "GET A LOAD OF THIS!!" was so Sonic Adventure 1 it was hilarious.

How long has it been since Sophocles was focused on? It was worth the wait, as it gave us a very nice focus episode on him. It was great how he spearheaded this entire episode's mission.

The music over the legend of Celeste was brilliant, and Celesteela's theme was lovely. I've been waiting for a break in the pattern of just normal good episode scoring, and I got my wish this week.

So far, this is the best Ultra Guardians episode.

DatsRight

Okay, Meowth's "GET A LOAD OF THIS!!" was so Sonic Adventure 1 it was hilarious.

Funny cause I remember thinking the same from him mimicking that phrase in other episodes like the Pokeball factory episode too, so he's replicating the repetition as well. XD

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Does Togedemaru always wear that bow?

I don't see the point of Popplio's Bubblebeam at all in the creation of the wall.

There was no way that wall was high enough to actually prevent the burning of the forest.

Thus episode would have been so much better if Team Rocket was not in it.

Given that I despise them, this might be one of the only episodes where I would not agree with this statement, but Team Rocket provided just the right amount of humor especially given that it's a rocket Pokémon, and they were basically the only source of real conflict, and they didn't divert the main plot upon arrival. They were great!

I do not understand how Charjabug was able to call Grubbin to help them digging out Celesteela

The same way I call out to my friends to help me. By yelling for them if they are within earshot

tokusatsu

What is this?

So far, this is the best Ultra Guardians episode.

There have been 2.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
What is this?

It's easier to look it up than to ask. Though the alert system means I'll see it regardless, so whatever.

Long story short, shows and movies with heavy special effects, such as Godzilla. It's typically used to refer to superhero shows like Power Rangers.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I was actually really looking forward to this episode due to my bias towards the UB featured in this episode. Unfortunately, this episode was pretty so-so, but there were things I liked about it.

I love the Japanese folklore reference. It's a very nice touch to what Celesteela is based on (Which was changed to Celeste in English instead of Kaguya, almost certainly because of Celesteela's English name as they mention they named it after the fairy tale in the episode). Speaking of which, the small one in the start of episode is absolutely adorable and I want one.

Also, TRio actually acknowledges that there is a rocket Pokémon. Won't lie, that was a highlight; I wanted to see that for a long time and I finally got my wish.

Something I don't understand though. It came from an Ultra Wormhole, became stuck in the ground for 200 years and instead of going back to Ultra Space, it flies to the moon? It's a nice reference to the folklore, sure, but should it have gone back to Ultra Space? Or did it really want to go to the moon?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I love the Japanese folklore reference. It's a very nice touch to what Celesteela is based on (Which was changed to Celeste in English instead of Kaguya, almost certainly because of Celesteela's English name as they mention they named it after the fairy tale in the episode).
Yeah the dub was caught between a rock and a hard place here; They could either retain the reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (Or, well, make it more obvious rather, it's not like the story itself was removed), or retain the fact that the UB's name was derived from the story. There was no way they could do both. I was curious to see how they'd handle this... Sounds like they went pretty much with what I expected them to.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah the dub was caught between a rock and a hard place here; They could either retain the reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (Or, well, make it more obvious rather, it's not like the story itself was removed), or retain the fact that the UB's name was derived from the story. There was no way they could do both. I was curious to see how they'd handle this... Sounds like they went pretty much with what I expected them to.
I wouldn’t have expected them to retain the ‘Kaguya’ name or the majority of references to the tale. Well there was a history of similar censorship in the Pokémon anime before so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I wouldn’t have expected them to retain the ‘Kaguya’ name or the majority of references to the tale. Well there was a history of similar censorship in the Pokémon anime before so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case.
This isn't censorship. The name of the Pokémon is Celesteela so keeping it as Kaguya wouldn't have made sense. It wasn't censoring the Kaguya name it was localizing it.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
This isn't censorship. The name of the Pokémon is Celesteela so keeping it as Kaguya wouldn't have made sense. It wasn't censoring the Kaguya name it was localizing it.
I think he was just referring to how in the past, at least 4Kids had a tendency to edit out anything traditionally Japanese (Like that infamous moment where they painted over a rice ball with a sandwich, or that other infamous moment where Brock referred to what was clearly rice balls as "jelly-filled donuts"), and how this overt reference to possibly the most well-known story in Japan totally falls under that. Though, TPCi has not really done that as far as I know. Of course, the anime itself hasn't really had anything as overtly Japanese as this in a very long time.

...But yeah, like I said, something was inevitably going to fall through here. Either they'd change the name in the story, or they'd keep the reference and thus make the connection between the story and the actual Ultra Beast less obvious.