• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shinji/Paul Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Ash is Goku, Paul is Vegeta.

No, I'd say Paul is Tien (and whatever the rest of his name is). We're not even into the Saiyan arc of Pokemon yet.

Paul is the type of character that starts out as a real prick (for lack of a more accurate term), but might change due to some major event that has yet to happen.

But for Paul, it's going to take alot to change his attitude. He's already shown that losing battles doesn't really faze him. So I don't think it would be a simple loss that would straighten him out. Maybe Ash beating him would do it. But that's just from our frame of reference, so we could be completely mistaken.

Vernikova

Champion
Anyway, does anyone have any thought on what happen after Sinnoh? Will he take the same way as Ash or go somewhere else? As I mentioned before, Paul shows up when Chimchar shows up. Most time that is. So when Monferno leaves the show, do you think Paul will go as well?

Paul will probably leave after the next filler arc whether that be the Sinnoh Elite Four or a Battle Frontier and they'll introduce another rival for Ash in the next region. They'll likely have already maxed out Paul's character after the Sinnoh League.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
IMO, Paul has been one of the BEST of Ash's rivals to date! I love seeing them battle. But the way he treats his Pokemon bugs me >_> Also, the way Ash bugs Paul about the way he treats his Pokemon annoys the mess outta me! Lol. You don't see Dawn & Brock bugging Paul about it, why does Ash have to be immature?

zeno48

Zaker!
Chelc you are awesome!
I can discuss anything about Paul here and this is what i was looking for. I just didn't expect a thread dedicated to him but i will express as much as i can. Mainly his final episodes because we are approaching the end of sinnoh so there is a possibility he won't stick around but i don't know if the writers will create more rivals for Ash or just have his moments with Paul.

Mooites

Paul, in my opinion, is a nice twist to the show, but he's getting kind of boring. I mean, we pretty much know all there is to know about him, but hey, we know that about a lot of Pokemon characters.

Im glad Paul's around to motivate Ash in a different way.

thunderblade12

Not really. Was it ever actually explained why he decided to begin mistreating his pokemon? Has he always been like this or did something cause it? During the Kanto Grand Festival they expanded on Drew's character a bit by telling how Solidad beat him and what not.

Also, this may not may not be revealed, but how did his journies through Kanto, Johto, and Hoeen go? I have a feeling he didn't do as well as Ash in any of them.

Waterpokes

I think once, Paul was just like Ash. He might have started out in Sinnoh, but never got any badges. So maybe he changed into the Paul he is today. It's funny to see Paul, but not with Monferno included. I bet that some random rival will appear and have the same speech that Solidad had about Drew.

BM14murph

Master Collector
I have a feeling it went either 2 ways

1) When Paul saw Reggie get beaten by Brandon he thought "My brother has always treated his pokemon with love and care and never pushed them.......that's why he got beaten" and progressively started to push turtwig and co..........lil nidoran and the like maybe lol

or

2) Paul entered all the leagues and started loosing in like preliminaries and den went bad *** after seeing some other guy who beat him be like dat

zeno48

Zaker!
Not really. Was it ever actually explained why he decided to begin mistreating his pokemon? Has he always been like this or did something cause it? During the Kanto Grand Festival they expanded on Drew's character a bit by telling how Solidad beat him and what not.

Also, this may not may not be revealed, but how did his journies through Kanto, Johto, and Hoeen go? I have a feeling he didn't do as well as Ash in any of them.

I think Paul decided to not treat his pokemon with love instead he just wanted them to reach their maximum potential but he felt that showing them love and compassion would spoil them so i guess his pokemon are okay with the way he treats them because they all seem to respect each other and to me that's enough to consider someone a good trainer.

I think he didn't do so well so maybe when he started realizing that he needed to change then he probably developed his attitude and realized a bit how a pokemon should be raised and if they deserve it.

Wow. A thread dedicated to the awesome rival, Shinji? Great idea, Chelc. =)

Shinji certainly is a different ball game than what we usually get from rivals and Pokemon characters in general (not counting villains). He represents the trainer that only cares about if the Pokemon is powerful enough, knows when/what to release and not use, and use his Pokemon's moves, abilities and different powers to his advantages.

Paul/Shinji is a very interesting character, indeed. ;D

V Faction

www.faction.com
2) Paul entered all the leagues and started loosing in like preliminaries and den went bad *** after seeing some other guy who beat him be like dat

If indeed Paul was not always the way he is now, then let's go with this theory.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Paul has his own thread? That's Badass.

Paul is definitely not only my favorite rival for Ash but also one of my favorite characters. He embodies many people who play the pokemon games.

I know he's probably going to lose to Ash in the Sinnoh League since Ash doesn't need to prove that loving and supporting your pokemon is a way to train. If they have Paul win that's a kick in the butt for all the stuff the anime has preached. As much as I don't want to see Paul turn into Mr. Nice there is a good chance he will. I even think they might make him quit training and become a breeder. *shot*

But I do believe Paul is one of the best things that happened during D/P.

Last edited:

totallylost

That one guy...
Did it ever occur to anyone that Ash and Paul.......won't fight in the Sinnoh league? Consider this.

What was the point ot their full battle? I, saw it as the writer's giving something we wanted to see, but not when we expected it. We all knew they'd have a full battle sometime. Maybe this was it for awhile? Maybe we'll get and Indigo-Orange-Johto league like plot that Ash and Gary went through. Maybe Paul loses here, goes to to train. Ash goes, finishes the filler saga and meets up with Paul later. They battle, both move on to the 5th gen region, battle at that regional championship. Ash wins there, they become friends.....the end.

tl;dr version, I have my doubts Ash and Paul will battle at the league. With Barry, Nando and the posible new ___son rival, Paul could be overshadowed, cast aside and Ash and Paul will have their final epic battle later.

This is just my take on it. I see a lot of "WHEN Ash and Paul fight at the league...." Its not a for sure thing they fight. Posible they do? Yes. Posible they don't? Yes again.

I think DP131 and DP132 was to hold us over until they have their epic battle later. (And to evolve Chimchar inot Monferno of course!)

BM14murph

Master Collector
Did it ever occur to anyone that Ash and Paul.......won't fight in the Sinnoh league? Consider this.

What was the point ot their full battle? I, saw it as the writer's giving something we wanted to see, but not when we expected it. We all knew they'd have a full battle sometime. Maybe this was it for awhile? Maybe we'll get and Indigo-Orange-Johto league like plot that Ash and Gary went through. Maybe Paul loses here, goes to to train. Ash goes, finishes the filler saga and meets up with Paul later. They battle, both move on to the 5th gen region, battle at that regional championship. Ash wins there, they become friends.....the end.

tl;dr version, I have my doubts Ash and Paul will battle at the league. With Barry, Nando and the posible new ___son rival, Paul could be overshadowed, cast aside and Ash and Paul will have their final epic battle later.

This is just my take on it. I see a lot of "WHEN Ash and Paul fight at the league...." Its not a for sure thing they fight. Posible they do? Yes. Posible they don't? Yes again.

I think DP131 and DP132 was to hold us over until they have their epic battle later. (And to evolve Chimchar inot Monferno of course!)

I have the sam worries there mate........if the'yre your worries of course lol

As soon as the double battle was mentioned i was thinking what's the point in having one now when they could have just had a normal 3 on 3 or something to evolve chimchar

then the though of maybe this is der big league battle that we all expected

If they don't fight in the league i definitely agree with you that they'll have a final epic one later on in the series....maybe if ash wins the league paul challenges him for his chance to challenge the elite 4 now that would be cool

zeno48

Zaker!
I come back from my hoilday to this golden thread...
Yay!!

Paul's my favourite character. Reason being that I'm just naturally drawn to the deep dark characters of any animé.
^.^

Why do people think Paul is evil? He is not, he is just different from other trainers and that's it. If you guys think Paul is evil then you don't know what evil truly is.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Why do people think Paul is evil? He is not, he is just different from other trainers and that's it. If you guys think Paul is evil then you don't know what evil truly is.

I guess he seems "evil" compared to the other lovey-dovey happy landers that make up the rest of the Pokemon trainers.

Like you said he just has a different way of thinking. He thinks "Why waste time building bonds when I can use that time to strengthen the team and make strategies"

It works but makes you look like the evil emo kid who everyone seems to bash on Youtube because they don't like it when someone "doesn't fit the norm".

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Paul isnt evil at all. He adds a different twist to a show. I think it is cool to have some one in the show persuing the same goal as Ash and other trainers, but goes at a different way. He makes the show more interesting.

totallylost

That one guy...
He isn't evil, but he is pretty dark compared to other characters.

The only Pokemon characters I'd consider evil, would be Giovanni, J, Cyrus and the villian from Pokemon 4 Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.