• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shinji/Paul Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

milenadrg

Why do people think Paul is evil? He is not, he is just different from other trainers and that's it. If you guys think Paul is evil then you don't know what evil truly is.

Threating Pokemon like tools IS evil in this Anime how I know. He's not maybe evil like Hunter J or Team Galactic, ofcourse he's not. But, we can't say he's good, too...

zeno48

Zaker!
Threating Pokemon like tools IS evil in this Anime how I know. He's not maybe evil like Hunter J or Team Galactic, ofcourse he's not. But, we can't say he's good, too...

Just because he threats his pokemon differently doesn't mean he is evil. He actually knows what he wants out of his pokemon and they trust him enough to withstand any training excluding chimchar who felt treated like dirt. He knew chimchar wasn't what he expected so he released him. It's a normal process and he could have done way worse if he was evil but no. He is a jerk sometimes but that's it.

BM14murph

Master Collector
When you think about we all do da exact same thing really we'll catch tonnes of pokemon but if doesn't got the right nature or iv's we send it packing

catzeye

Writer's Block
he will become nice eventually, like Gary

And that's what I don't want to see. We need a jerk in the show. Sure he could treat his pokemon a little nicer but I don't want him to go to Happy-Go-Lucky like everyone else.

STICKTOPIA

yea it's a possibility that paul will be nicer to ash like gary did.

tyranitar305

tyranitar is a beast
yea it's a possibility that paul will be nicer to ash like gary did.
He probably act the same to ash, but will probably be nicer to his pokemon

STICKTOPIA

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Why does everyone use the word, 'evil'? If anything, Paul's nothing more than an antagonist. He hasn't really done anything truly bad. He just talks down to everyone and puts people down constantly. Kind of like alot of people in the fanfic section of this forum, actually.

In other words, he's House.

J-boogie200

Paul isn't evil, but he isn't a good guy either. I'm really curious to know about the times of his past when he wasn't mean. I'm curious about his reserves, if he has any. Also, I'm anxious for the day Paul tells one of his Pokemon he is proud of them and/or apologizes to Monferno/Infernape.

Madame Pika

The thing with Paul is that as much as I love him now, seriously what are the chances of him not turning into a happy go lucky trainer like all the rest... or *shudder* even worse, comic relief... though I did enjoy his comic relief in A-masing race.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Did it ever occur to anyone that Ash and Paul.......won't fight in the Sinnoh league? Consider this.

What was the point ot their full battle? I, saw it as the writer's giving something we wanted to see, but not when we expected it. We all knew they'd have a full battle sometime. Maybe this was it for awhile? Maybe we'll get and Indigo-Orange-Johto league like plot that Ash and Gary went through. Maybe Paul loses here, goes to to train. Ash goes, finishes the filler saga and meets up with Paul later. They battle, both move on to the 5th gen region, battle at that regional championship. Ash wins there, they become friends.....the end.

tl;dr version, I have my doubts Ash and Paul will battle at the league. With Barry, Nando and the posible new ___son rival, Paul could be overshadowed, cast aside and Ash and Paul will have their final epic battle later.

This is just my take on it. I see a lot of "WHEN Ash and Paul fight at the league...." Its not a for sure thing they fight. Posible they do? Yes. Posible they don't? Yes again.

I think DP131 and DP132 was to hold us over until they have their epic battle later. (And to evolve Chimchar inot Monferno of course!)

That is a possibility, but looking at the series, we have a Torterra (Paul), an Empoleon (Barry), and a setup for an Infernape (Ash). Why wouldn't they want to promote all three Pokemon at the Sinnoh League?

That's my only argument against it though. Paul pulling a Gary though would be kinda repetitive too (not to mention kinda lame)

zeno48

Zaker!
The thing with Paul is that as much as I love him now, seriously what are the chances of him not turning into a happy go lucky trainer like all the rest... or *shudder* even worse, comic relief... though I did enjoy his comic relief in A-masing race.

He could change a bit after he loses to Ash in the sinnoh league. I know it sucks but since the writers will probably end their rivalry then it's a good chance they will change his attitude a bit.

FlameRose

Anyway, for Paul's future, I see him losing to Ash at the League and then a "calmer" version of himself goes off to the Kanto BF while Ash goes to a filler region. After Ash is done with filler, he goes back to Pallet where Paul makes his cameo appearance, revealing he beat the frontier. He'll still not be the worlds most social person, but he and Ash will respect eachother a little more. Meh...

Edit: Rank up!

Last edited:

Waterpokes

I think Paul will crush Ash in the league. Making Paul go the same region as Ash.
I don't want Paul to get a calmer version, it's better to see Paul then Gary.
He might think different of Ash and be a bit more social, but he will still keep his style and be harsh, not so harsh!

Machete

Ash will defeat Paul, that's something we all know. However, I hope that Paul doesn't change that much. As I see it, Ash will barely defeat Paul (either with Monferno/Infernape or Pikachu) and Paul will accept that Ash is a good trainer, and that he shouldn't have released Chimchar. Of course, Ash will give him the Soothe Bell. And this time, he'll keep it, to show that he's going to be slightly friendlier with his Pokémon.

Also, we have to understand Paul. He has shown respect to Cynthia, Brandon, Joy, and even Brock. He gave his Azumarill to a little kid instead of releasing it. And he doesn't hate his Pokémon, he just uses them to win. And all of his Pokémon seem to enjoy it, except for Chimchar. Torterra, Electabuzz, Ursaring... they all seem to like Paul's training method, because they're like him: they just want to be stronger. Ash is always telling Paul how he should train and how he should treat his Pokémon, even when Paul shows that he's stronger. Paul must be tired of Ash's speeches.

Paul is a good character because he seems to be the only character that wouldn't copy&paste that thing of treating your Pokémon like individuals instead of brainless drones. We need some different characters, and having someone who does what a competitive trainer should do is great.

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
Ash will defeat Paul, that's something we all know. However, I hope that Paul doesn't change that much. As I see it, Ash will barely defeat Paul (either with Monferno/Infernape or Pikachu) and Paul will accept that Ash is a good trainer, and that he shouldn't have released Chimchar. Of course, Ash will give him the Soothe Bell. And this time, he'll keep it, to show that he's going to be slightly friendlier with his Pokémon.

Also, we have to understand Paul. He has shown respect to Cynthia, Brandon, Joy, and even Brock. He gave his Azumarill to a little kid instead of releasing it. And he doesn't hate his Pokémon, he just uses them to win. And all of his Pokémon seem to enjoy it, except for Chimchar. Torterra, Electabuzz, Ursaring... they all seem to like Paul's training method, because they're like him: they just want to be stronger. Ash is always telling Paul how he should train and how he should treat his Pokémon, even when Paul shows that he's stronger. Paul must be tired of Ash's speeches.

Paul is a good character because he seems to be the only character that wouldn't copy&paste that thing of treating your Pokémon like individuals instead of brainless drones. We need some different characters, and having someone who does what a competitive trainer should do is great.

HELLL YEAH
that's exactly what I have been thinking.....I couldn't say it better myself

I think Paul will crush Ash in the league. Making Paul go the same region as Ash.
I don't want Paul to get a calmer version, it's better to see Paul then Gary.
He might think different of Ash and be a bit more social, but he will still keep his style and be harsh, not so harsh!

It would be interesting if Paul was a multi-region rival. However I still think Ash will win Paul, if only for Monferno to get some revenge. But like you said it would be awesome if Paul was a long term rival.

FlameRose

I actually don't want Paul to be a multi-region rival. His story will eventually be finished, no need to have him around for a whole other region. He'll be fine making cameos after Sinnoh, IMO.

zeno48

Zaker!

Exctly! He won't change his personality much but maybe he will consider what he has done wrong and work on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.