• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Fail Stories

Memeshadow

Rather curious to hear if anyone else has failed Shinies in ways that could have been prevented.

Here's a few of mine:
  1. Minior: Random Encounter when looking for a Beldum to put in a Moon Ball. Went boom first turn.
  2. Sigilyph: Wormhole Shiny, and I had no Poke Balls.
  3. Altaria: Wormhole Shiny, Perish Songed.
  4. Graveler: Horde Battle, couldn't save it and watched as other Gravelers Magnituded it to death.
  5. Weedle: Looking for a Pikachu with Light Ball in Gen 6, had no Poke Balls.
  6. Murkrow: Horde Battle with 2 Shiny Murkrows, had to faint one.
  7. Shuppet: Same as Murkrow: 2 in 1 Horde.
What's your Shiny Fail stories? I'd love to hear them.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I've got only one. I haven't encountered wild shinies outside of Red Gyarados in the Johto games, the Ultra Warpride, and this one. But I was SOS chaining Ditto for IVs and had a Pyukumuku only knowing Memento out on the field to speed up chaining when a shiny Ditto showed up. But it was Imposter so it immediately transformed and I obviously couldn't immediately throw a ball at it as there was another wild Ditto next to it, so it killed itself before I had a chance to do anything about it.

Memeshadow

I've got only one. I haven't encountered wild shinies outside of Red Gyarados in the Johto games, the Ultra Warpride, and this one. But I was SOS chaining Ditto for IVs and had a Pyukumuku only knowing Memento out on the field to speed up chaining when a shiny Ditto showed up. But it was Imposter so it immediately transformed and I obviously couldn't immediately throw a ball at it as there was another wild Ditto next to it, so it killed itself before I had a chance to do anything about it.

Ouch, that had to be painful to watch. :eek:

PsychoKing47

Only one I have is one of my few random Shiny encounters ever, back in Pokemon X: I found a Shiny Psyduck in a horde and got the horde down to just the shiny and a normal Psyduck. Unfortunately, when I went to kill the normal one, I ended up pressing the wrong thing and attacking the Shiny instead, killing it. I still haven't been able to reclaim that blue duck, but one day I'll get to it.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Mentioned it before, but I'll bring it up again. *ahem*

Be me, 10 years old.
It's morning. Had breakfast, waiting to go to school.
Been playing Pokémon Silver almost a year now.
At Mt. Silver training.
Random encounter is a Ponyta. Seen it---
*SPARKLE SHEEN*
Holy **** it's a Shiny!
Want it, bad!
Try to weaken it to catch.
"Wild Ponyta fled!"
Day ruined.

I still hold a grudge for that day. I also ran into a Shiny Onix in Diamond at Victory Road like five years back, and my Alakazam had to crit it with a Hidden Power Fire when it shouldn't have. I otherwise don't really have much luck with Shinies, so those are my fail stories.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The first shiny I encountered was a Pidgey, but since I didn't know about shinies back then, I ended up defeating it. I also encountered a shiny Parasect in Cerulean Cave, but destroyed it thanks to a critical hit from my Arcanine. I also remember battling against a shiny Sandshrew in Fallarbor Town's Battle Tent and shiny Feraligatr, Dewgong and Misdreavus in Battle Factory in Emerald.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Thankfully the only time I have failed getting a shiny is in the Heart Gold Safari Zone. It was a Golduck

Xionea

Half a centaur
I got 2.

First was a Graveler in Crystal (also my first non-Gyarados shiny encounter ever!). Now, most stories go that a shiny Graveler usually self-destructs, but not in this case. This was my first time turning on Crystals in forever, and the first Pokemon I ran into just so happened to be that shiny Graveler. I thought all Pokemon back in gen 2 did that little sparkle animation, and I thought nothing of it til after running from it. Then as each Graveler after it didn't sparkle, little ol' me wept on the inside.

Second was like 4 years ago. This was back in my shiny hunting days, lots of free time in high school and all that. I learned about horde hunting in Y so I was trying it out. Got a couple Swablu out it while trying to find a Spinda. Then I encountered a horde of Scyther (about a 10% encounter rate on that route if I remember correctly?), and surprise surprise, one was a shiny! That one was super exciting cause shiny Scizor is cool and I would have loved that. Around that time I also liked taking pictures of my shiny encounters, so I took a picture of the scyther.... then I hit run by accident. That was painful. Got so upset I even deleted the pic too cause it wasn't "authentic" anymore lol.

Definitely could be worse but those two stick with me now.

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
My only shiny fail was in Ultra Sun when I was soft resetting for Buzzwole. I wasn't paying enough attention and soft reseted over it. I almost soft reseted over the second shiny Buzzwole too, because I didn't see the encounter animation and managed just see it when camera scrolled over it.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
I physically lost 2 Pokemon games in my life: the first was Pokemon Heart Gold; i left it in my bag in a taxicab. Never got it back. It had a shiny Flygon (random encounter Vibrava in Safari Zone) in it. A year ago, someone stole my bag right out of my office, which had Pokemon Moon in it, which I had shiny hunted for hundreds of hours. I lost many Pokemon including shiny Araquanid, shiny Espeon, shiny Cleffa, shiny Rockruff, shiny Marowak Alolan and several others I had SOS battled for. That was quite painful to lose, but I bought Sun and got most of them back over the following year.

I once found a shiny Rhyhorn in the Safari Zone (i think FR or LG) but it fled.

OH -- and also it took me 45 Lugia raids to get 1 shiny Lugia recently in Pokemon Go. 45!! I've never met anyone who can beat that unlucky streak. :mad: lol

Last edited:
I think I've only lost three shinies- a male Nidoran, a Fearow, and an Eevee.

The Nidoran wasn't really preventable, as I ran into it in the FireRed Safari Zone. I tried throwing a ball at it, but it broke out and fled the first turn. A little disappointing, but really, no big deal to me. To be honest, I didn't even properly process it. I've been trying to reclaim it in Sun, though.

Again in FireRed was Fearow, and this one was absolutely preventable. While training outside of Victory Road, I encountered a shiny Fearow and tried to weaken it with the weakest attack I had- Quick Attack. It was a crit. That Fearow was gone. I later realised that I'd had my Master Ball all along, which only rubbed salt in those wounds. Thankfully, though, I reclaimed it a year or two ago while Nuzlocking SoulSilver. That Fearow, Osiris, actually ended up being one of the best members of my team.

The last? Kind of a stupid story. I hatched a shiny Eevee in Y, accidentally released the wrong Pokemon, and reset to get it back. I didn't save. I wasn't too concerned, but I'd really like to reclaim it sometime...

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Haha, I have one :p

I was in the process of either training regularly or EV training an Umbreon of mine on Pokemon White Version.

I found a wild Woobat, and he was a shiny.

I had my umbreon use Return to weaken it, i wanted to catch it, and i figured it wouldn't one hit KO....

BIG. MISTAKE.

The Woobat fainted xD

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I was replaying Emerald version and challenging the Battle Pike. All of a sudden, a trainer throws out a Shiny Clamperl. No possibility of catching it. I just let out a long sigh. That's how it goes sometimes. Womp.

1. Shiny Tangela in Pokémon Gold, had no pokéballs
2. Shiny Graveler in Pokémon Pearl, used Explosion while I was weakening it
3. Not really a fail as it was on purpose, in Pokémon Y I was hunting in a Riolu/Throh/Mankey friend safari for both shiny Riolu and shiny Mankey. I got 5 shiny Throh before finding any of the others and was so sick of it I KO'd the 5th one. I got 2 shiny Riolu and a shiny Mankey after that though.

Not sure if mine counts as a fail or not?!!
fainting a shiny (wild) to make one of mine shinies evolve

In Pokemon X, wanted to make my shiny Eevee evolve to a shiny Glaceon (can't remember the cave name where Ice Rock is located)
I just fainted the first wild Pokemon I saw (had run out of rare candies too), didn't care which one it was
I was also replying to a forum so I missed the shiny sparkles it makes

Fainted the Beartic that showed up - didn't realized it was shiny until it was making the fainting animation
lost the shiny Beartic, haven't encountered another ever since, (did get the shiny Glaceon)

Tiffo

Geeky Pokemon Master
In bw2 I was looking for a certain pokemon (can't remember which one now) and a shiny vulpix showed up, however I was so used to wild pokemon popping up that my fingers clicking run on autopilot most of the time. I ran from the vulpix and only realised it as it was fainting.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
The only Fail i can remember definitely could have been prevented.

Back in Emerald, I ran into a Random Shiny Poochyena on route 110. I ran away from it, because "I'll never use a Poochyena".

Regretted that decision about a week later.

Orphalesion

The only time I sShiny hunted was once when I was little and playing Sapphire. I thought I'd try and get a shiny Treecko, so I soft-ressetted for a while. I didn't get a shiny Treecko...but the Poochyena that attacks Birch, the one you can't catch, was a Shiny.
hahahaha :p I was pretty pissed.