• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Fail Stories

AmethystLeslie

I've only had 1. A shiny Electrode in Team Rocket's base in Mahogany Town in VC Gold. Even from looking at it, I knew it was not gonna go well. I knew I could only attempt to catch it and not even bother trying to attack, but sadly, it exploded on the 2nd turn.

oshawott7

cat burgler
One day I decided to restart my Ruby game and the very first Pokemon that showed up was a shiny Zigzagoon. Obviously I didn't have any Pokeballs so I basically just stared at it for about 5 minutes and then turned the game off and I haven't touched it since.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Back in Emerald, I was leveling up some Pokémon, and I admired how cute Oddish was, then KOed it, right before realizing it was shiny. I still have trouble believing I missed that it was the wrong color.

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
I ran into a shiny Graveler in Kalos. I couldn't even weaken it before it happened... Selfdestruct. :)

CapybaraMage

Novice Shiny Hunter
Finally got around to playing through UM, and was absentmindedly leveling in the Vast Poni Canyon before challenging the League. Well, I looked at my screen right as I knocked out a random Skarmory and saw its green wings at the last second... At first I denied it, but I checked my Pokédex and sure enough, there was a shiny Skarmory in the appearance tab. ( ˃̶͈̀ロ˂̶͈́)੭ꠥ⁾⁾

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Found a shiny Red Goldbat in Pokemon Crystal. I caught it actually buuuuut... I was really annoyed that I couldn't transfer it to Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Now it's gone forever in a dead-battery cartridge.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I’m still not sure if this actually happened or not but I’m pretty sure it did. While I was working on catching all the Alola Pokemon for my Living Dex one of the Pokemon I needed was Bruxish. As Bruxish is much easier to find on rippling fishing spots I saved in front of one and SRd on other Pokemon because it was faster than leaving the area and coming back.

On one of those resets I found a Wishiwashi which I quickly reset over. However just as the screen went black I swear I noticed the Wishiwashi had yellow on its eye which would have meant it was shiny, meaning I screwed up pretty badly. I still can’t say for sure it was shiny but something in the back of my head still tells me it was.

Last edited:

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Might as well post this while I SR for Snivy xD I have had multiple shiny fails over the years(sadly):

My first was actually with the first shiny I ever saw: a Bidoof on Pearl at Route 201. Had no clue what it was, but wanted to catch it anyway as I wondered why it sparkled :p
Sadly my Turtwig got a critical and it fainted, but as I had no idea about shinies I shrugged it off as bad luck.

My second fail was in an old Firered file. Coming back from Cerulean Cave after I caught Mewtwo, I found a shiny Kakuna! I know about shinies now and was excited. Sadly I had no weak moves or status attacks, all I could do was throw what Pokeballs I had left after Mewtwo. Sadly 5 great balls and 7 Pokeballs failed to catch it :(

My third was in the same Firered file some months later. Of to fill my Pokedex, I head into the safari zone. I gasped as a Blue Nidorino appeared! Scared it would run, especially after it escaped the first safari ball. The second one caught it, and I evolved it, but after not playing for a while I forgot it was on there and started a new game, deleting it D:

Years later I'm playing HeartGold, training my Lanturn at Mt Silver. To my surprise a shiny Tangela appears! I throw an Ultra Ball and it breaks free so I decided to weaken it. Thunder got a crit and I watched it faint.. :(

Unbelievably I got two more shinies on the same file: Onix and Goldeen. Onix was on my way to fight Red and Goldeen was while ev training. Sadly I failed both of them, Goldeen I had no Pokeballs and I evolved the Onix but it's on my lost Black game :(
My first ever shiny I RE'd for, a Blitzle I evolved is on that game too so it is also lost.

Back in 2013 I was hunting Rufflet for my first White BQ. Around 5k Throh shines instead. It breaks out of an Ultra Ball and uses Circle Throw so I flee :/

And finally, the one I regret the most. Also in 2013 I began my Chimchar srs. I found one so quick, around 1k on Platinum, but SRed over it on instinct :( this is my longest hunt evernto date, both in terms of time and total, when I last hunted it I was on 26,000+ srs.

On a happier note I have been able to reclaim Bidoof, Kakuna, Nidoking and Zebstrika :)

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Shiny Oddish in Sapphire, since the encounter was in a Safari Zone you cannot weaken it. Broke out of a few Safari Balls so I tossed a Poke Block to increase the chance of it sticking around. RNG decided it was a good time for the Oddish to choose to flee. It was only in Gen 6 that was I able to reclaim it.

artichoke91

I saw a shiny Mighyena in Emerald and a shiny Growlithe in HeartGold. You can probably guess what happened - both used Roar very quickly.

Thank goodness Roar's mechanics have changed these days.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I've failed four shinies in the past (well, one was an "intentional" fail, I'll get to that in a minute):

First one was way back in 2007 or 2008, in Diamond version. I'm training up my team on Stark Mountain when a shiny Camerupt shows up. All my team were level 80+ at the time and easily would have knocked it out, so I tried to weaken it first with Roserade's Toxic (teenage me somehow still didn't know you can catch Pokemon at full health...). On the turn before I was going to throw a ball, I misclicked and hit Mega Drain. : (

Second one was probably about a year later, this time in Platinum. I'd just discovered what EVs were and had taken my Shuckle into the Maniac Cave for some Defense training. It wasn't very long before I came upon a shiny Geodude. I tried weakening it again and suddenly remembered, "Crap, I hope it doesn't know -"

"Geodude used Selfdestruct!"

At least I was able to miraculously reclaim it in a horde battle years later (the shiny was faster and killed all the others with Magnitude 10). I still don't know how that happened.

Third one was a shiny Timburr in my Japanese copy of Black. I used my Sandile's Bite (or Assurance, I don't remember) to bring it down by about 1/3 of its health. I was terrified I'd get a critical hit on the next turn, so I used Sand Tomb, thinking it would be weak enough for Timburr to survive. It didn't. To add insult to injury: my Sandile was also shiny. I'd caught it only 2 days before.

And finally, the intentional fail: I was trying to catch a Terrakion for my VGC 2011 team. I'd actually found a shiny one in less than 50 SRs on my White version, so I was using my Black copy to have another chance at a competitive one. After a couple days of SR'ing, I found another shiny, but it didn't have the stats I wanted, so I reset over it. I still regret that decision, considering I ended up using Landorus on my team instead and I never really did anything in competitive after that. But hey, I still have the first shiny Terrakion...

I've been a shiny hunter for nearly 5 years now, and have managed not to fail anything since then (mostly because I learned to catch things at full health!). I probably just jinxed myself though. : P

abby_ella

Back in Gen II, I didn't know what a shiny was. Stupid 10 year old me thought it was a glitch, and after ruining my Blue version file by catching a glitch, I ran from a shiny Hoothoot.

To this day, that is the only shiny I have ever encountered. I am not a lucky woman.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
Soul Silver: Magikarp. Out of excitement, I shook my DS Lite and the game crashed before I had even tried to catch it.
Emerald: Luvdisc and another Pokemon I forgot. I have seen two shinies in the Battle Factory, which means I'm not allowed to have them. I forgot what one of them was.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
My first shiny fail was the first shiny I ever encountered, a Geodude in the Ruin Maniac’s Cave whilst I was looking for a Hippopotas in my Platinum version. It blew up .-. I did however reclaim this shiny in my Heart Gold version when I was smashing rocks looking for fossils.

My next shiny fail was a Ferroseed in the Friend Safari which I killed with a misclick .-.

Finally and perhaps my most painful shiny fail was a Houndoom in Pearl. I was trying to radar chain one and a shiny patch showed up at chain 9, but I hadn’t prepared for it knowing roar : [ this is the shiny fail I have learned the most from though and I did reclaim it at a later date via MM breeding.

Manchee

extra toasty
There's only been one shiny that I encountered and did not catch, and it was a Piloswine in Black. My Stoutland hit it once, got it just above halfway, so I used the same attack again thinking it would be super low health after. Instead, my Stoutland managed a critical hit and killed it ;(

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Really common and non-exciting ways ahoy

Shiny Exeggcute that fled in the Safari Zone, and shiny Caterpie at the beginning of the game before you could have Pokéballs.

I guess if I miss another shiny, it'll be one of those two scenarios again, or something like a Pokémon that can selfdestruct while I don't have a Master Ball, idk.
Ran into a similar one in the Safari Zone. Soul Silver... a shiny Weezing. Son of a gun fled. Wanted to get it so bad.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
lol, I was so disappointed too. Like 11 year old me knew what shinies were, but didn't have any. Then I find that Exeggcute and get super excited, only to have it flee after one safari ball. I was quiet for a while after that.

I need to breed for a shiny Exeggcute in a Safari Ball nowadays. Thanks to the ability to pass down balls while breeding I can get a shiny Safari Ball Exeggutor to replace it.
Yea that kind of thing sucks.

Cool. Hope it works out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I once encountered a Shiny Nidorino at the Safari Zone in FireRed version, but instead of throwing a Safari Ball at it, I accidentally chucked a rock at it, which caused it to flee.

reedcollins

ReginaRegina
I'm super unlucky when it comes to shinies, the only shiny i've ever successfully caught was a shiny crabrawler. My least favorite shiny story was my first shiny encounter in pokemon alpha sapphire, I barely realized that the machop that popped out of the tall grass was shiny, I freaked out because I was so excited, and then I realized I didn't have any pokeballs in my bag. It was horrid. Lets just say I've learned my lesson and I make sure I have plenty of pokeballs on me at all times.