• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokémon & PokéRadar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowtastic

Usually thats the case, pick one thats farthest away out of 4 moving patches.

My longest chain so far was 18 on Fletching. I suck at Poke Radar.

Also, has anyone heard the rumor about tipping $1000 and having finding shinies soon after?

i've been tipping the minimum amount and have had no luck (obviously) :p i guess i'll go tip the maximum now and try this out

Evie Snow

All these people finding shinies makes me wonder if the chances to find one really did increase or if we're just hearing more about them because everyone and their mother is playing this game currently.

Also wondering, if the chances *have* increased, if this affects hatching eggs too? I really want a shiny Fennekin and Litleo and I'm thinking about trying the Masuda Method for them.

pikkichu

So what's the best method for shinies atm? Hours of encounters in the safari, masuda method, hordes or poke radar(where ca you use this effectively for kalos pokemon, can you use honey during a high chain?)

Keadin

No idea if my experiences with shinies are useful, but I'll share what I know anyway. I found a shiny Wobbuffet in the Friend Safari. I did nothing special prior, like tipping or stuff like that.

Afterwards, I've also tried tipping (sit at the terrace for 5000 bucks, and tip 1000 bucks) and then triggering a few hordes of pokémon nearby, in case whatever theoretical buff you get wears off after a number of steps, but I saw no shinies there at all. Maybe you need to tip more often, or maybe the odds are only slightly higher to make no practical difference. Or I got unlucky!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
No idea if my experiences with shinies are useful, but I'll share what I know anyway. I found a shiny Wobbuffet in the Friend Safari. I did nothing special prior, like tipping or stuff like that.

Afterwards, I've also tried tipping (sit at the terrace for 5000 bucks, and tip 1000 bucks) and then triggering a few hordes of pokémon nearby, in case whatever theoretical buff you get wears off after a number of steps, but I saw no shinies there at all. Maybe you need to tip more often, or maybe the odds are only slightly higher to make no practical difference. Or I got unlucky!

the tipping is utter rubbish, it has no correlation to people finding shiny pokemon, other than people being unable to link coincidence to fact

King91

I'm all fired up!
Wow, congrats!
When a shiny Ditto copies a pokemon, does it become their shiny form? If it does you should face Zygarde/Xerneas/Yveltal and find out what they look like shiny :p
Lol that'd be awesome, unfortunately it just turns in to a mirror image of the pokemon it's copied. Also as far as tipping goes, since I heard that rumor being linked to shinies, I did start tipping a grand every time, and it didn't take long for me to get this Ditto. Of course that could be coincidence.

Goten21

I caught my first shiny today

A horsea, instead of blue, it's turqoise (my fave colour :p ), and the amazing thing is, I just wanted to buy a Horsea for my team, and I had NEVER encountered or battled one before in my game, so I just looked it up.
Went to the place, used the right stuff, and the first 3/4 pokemon were not a Horsea, then, I encountered a Horsea. Female and shiny, amazing, huh

It's nature is Lonely (which boosts attack and decreases defense), which is a bummer, since Horsea is a Sp Atker, but, I'm way too happy with the fact that it's female AND shiny :D

Keadin

the tipping is utter rubbish, it has no correlation to people finding shiny pokemon, other than people being unable to link coincidence to fact

Perhaps, but we don't know for sure yet either way. Judging by some of these accounts there's an awful lot of coincidence going on, so instead of dismissing any and all claims I'll try to keep an open mind for a while and see if there's any truth to it :) Tipping is in the game for a reason, so it'd be nice to know what the reason is, even if it's not boosting one's shiny encounter rate!

Evie Snow

Perhaps, but we don't know for sure yet either way. Judging by some of these accounts there's an awful lot of coincidence going on, so instead of dismissing any and all claims I'll try to keep an open mind for a while and see if there's any truth to it :) Tipping is in the game for a reason, so it'd be nice to know what the reason is, even if it's not boosting one's shiny encounter rate!

This. I don't know how people can say it's rubbish when nothing has been confirmed or can be confirmed yet. It'll be a few months until shiny rates are discovered properly, so until then I'll have fun trying new tricks!

I'm kind of surprised they added these false patches to the pokeradar. Its not like it was exactly easy to get chains of 30-40 before, I know I would try and hardly ever get past 25. Not to mention the fact there are hardly any patches of grass where its square and perfect for pokeradaring except in the safari, and then they don't even let you use pokeradar. But at the same time I guess I don't mind shiny pokemon being hard to get, that's the way it should be.

On a different note, I'm not sure if hordes actually do increase shiny chances or its just the fact that there are 5 pokemon in them but I already got a shiny wingull and shiny foongus from them and I've never had what I would say good luck with shinies. It seems from what everyone's been saying that maybe shiny chances are increased in hordes, its hard to say for sure. I also got pokerus which I've never gotten before so I'm a little shocked at my luck if the odds haven't changed.

Razmos

I have this sponge..
So my Shiny Super Size Pumpkaboo finally hatched, I love it so much :D

Decided to check out Friend Safari straight after, and around 6 battles in I found a Shiny Poliwhirl. Politoed is one of my favourite pokemon, so getting a shiny one is just amazing. 2 shinies in under an hour, after playing the game for around 100 hours and not finding one.

Rakurai

It's really lame that you can't use the Pokeradar in flower patches, as that effectively excludes dozens of Pokemon from being able to chained.

It's really lame that you can't use the Pokeradar in flower patches, as that effectively excludes dozens of Pokemon from being able to chained.
you can, just did it with an eevee chain on R 10.

carmstrong

Just as I was about to give up on trying to get shiny Fraxure I finally got one :D So happy

Goten21

I always tip really high, and my first encounter with an Horsea in this game happened to be a shiny...

Rakurai

you can, just did it with an eevee chain on R 10.

Weird. It kept giving me the message that I couldn't use it at the time.

I wasn't using my skates or bike at the time, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.