• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokémon & PokéRadar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowtastic

It's really lame that you can't use the Pokeradar in flower patches, as that effectively excludes dozens of Pokemon from being able to chained.

You can. My first assignment from the pokeradar scientist was to chain flabebe, and I chained in the yellow and purple flowers.

Meowtastic

The only reason I can think of is that you were maybe on your skates, even if you just forgot you were? That's the only time I've had a problem with it, besides not actually being in the flowers or grass.

erox

You can. My first assignment from the pokeradar scientist was to chain flabebe, and I chained in the yellow and purple flowers.

What is the purpose of these missions? Do you have to catch a shiny of the specified pokemon and does he give you any kind of prize/enhancement for completing them?

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Encountered a Shiny Onix, looking for a female Mawile in Glittering Cave... Eh. It's cool, certainly, but I also caught a shiny Steelix in Platinum a year or two back (also female, also crappy nature, also crappy IVs and also crappy ability) so I'm not terribly amused. >_>

Keadin

What is the purpose of these missions? Do you have to catch a shiny of the specified pokemon and does he give you any kind of prize/enhancement for completing them?

It actually explains this on the website:

"After defeating the Elite Four, you can receive the PokeRadar from one of the scientists in his lab. Once you have it, each day the scientist will give you a specific target to encounter using it. If you return having encountered them, he will give you an item such as an Ultra Ball."

Weird. It kept giving me the message that I couldn't use it at the time.

I wasn't using my skates or bike at the time, either.
i have it happen before in grass, don;t know what is causing it. Maybe its a random glitch, but make sure you are on foot (i keep on using the stick without thinking and have broken soo meany chains so far by jumping on my skates), and make sure you are not pressed up against a rock/wall or something, it may cause the game to think that you are not in the grass/flowers.

Meowtastic

it's a new pokemon he requests everyday. i believe he wants you to chain and catch as many of the pokemon he requests as you can. no need to be a shiny. you do get a prize, i can't remember what it was, nothing too fancy. you might get something better if you catch more though, i only caught a couple

Squirtle_Master

Leader of the Dark
Is it just me or does it seem like most people encounter Shinys in the Friend Safari? There's a guy on Youtube who has found like 14 shinys in the Friend Safari in 3 days.

Honkfish

So has anyone had the music change for them when using the pokeradar? I know it changes when you're on a chain but sometimes the tempo will kick up and it will switch to a whole other sort of urgent sounding music. Anyone figured out what that means?

vedil

I do liek mudkipz.
Everyone finding shinies... for me, no trace of any yet. :C

GriffinTheGreat

Salamence Trainer
Shiny Swift Swim Poliwhirl in a luxury ball :D I love the Friend Safari, first shiny I've caught since Platinum.

iTarTar

And here I am having only 2 non-linear encounters with shinies over a nine year period of playing Pokemon... Exeggcute in the FR Safari Zone and Marill on Sevi Island 6... Maybe the tiping theory is true, I never tip the waiters (Usually bad service) and haven't found any shinies after dozens of hordes.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
A friend of mine managed to hit a chain of 40 and get a shiny, and he had the following observations:

- 4-space rule doesn't seem to apply; you just need to enter a bush that shakes identically to the one you first stepped into
- Edges may be safe (interesting if so, and would explain why there aren't so many large patches of grass then - but assume not if not testing)
- Bushes that rustle a tiny amount will kill the chain if stepped on

Hope that helps you guys. I'll be trying the Pokeradar out myself, but I won't beat the game anytime soon. =/

Still not convinced by tipping. You won't hear stories of people saying 'I didn't tip so-and-so, and found a shiny!' after all. =p Plus there's millions of players, so there's going to be a bunch of shiny Pokemon found, particularly with the likes of hordes (5 chances at once!). If it's not mentioned in a guide, it'll be a very hard thing to verify too.
Tipping is in the game for a reason, so it'd be nice to know what the reason is, even if it's not boosting one's shiny encounter rate!
There was a donate hearts (currency of the game) in Kid Icarus: Uprising feature too. That did absolutely nothing bar have a character walk towards the screen. So I wouldn't be too quick to say that tipping is in for a (useful) reason. =p

Last edited:

DryBones

Event Collector
A friend of mine managed to hit a chain of 40 and get a shiny, and he had the following observations:

- 4-space rule doesn't seem to apply; you just need to enter a bush that shakes identically to the one you first stepped into
- Edges are safe (interesting if so, and would explain why there aren't so many large patches of grass then)
- Bushes that rustle a tiny amount will kill the chain if stepped on

Hope that helps you guys. I'll be trying the Pokeradar out myself, but I won't beat the game anytime soon. =/

Still not convinced by tipping. You won't hear stories of people saying 'I didn't tip so-and-so, and found a shiny!' after all. =p Plus there's millions of players, so there's going to be a bunch of shiny Pokemon found, particularly with the likes of hordes (5 chances at once!). If it's not mentioned in a guide, it'll be a very hard thing to verify too.
There was a donate hearts (currency of the game) in Kid Icarus: Uprising feature too. That did absolutely nothing bar have a character walk towards the screen. So I wouldn't be too quick to say that tipping is in for a (useful) reason. =p

Interesting.

I got my Pancham chain to 40 earlier, nabbed a shiny, then ran out of repels. =_=; Was hoping for at least 2.

The 4-patches shaking/4-patches away rules have definitely been removed. Been trying this the past hour or so and its just as you've noted as well, keep to the same bush type and you'll be fine.

I must disagree about the 'edges are safe' observation though. I say this because seemingly they are sometimes safe, but, sometimes not. I just had a 16 Skiddo chain break after going to an edge patch. It initiated the battle fine etc, but when it ended, no patches rustled (they must have all geographically fallen off-grass, in regards to the games mechanics).

Corner patches are also pretty dodgy as well, same reason as above.

:)

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111

This is what I've been thinking too. If anything I would think it makes you more stylish is all. Thanks for those tips too, I've definitely found that going for identical shakes works much better than the older method. I've so far reached a chain of 35 which broke when I stepped on the wrong shaking piece of grass and haven't really tried to go at it again. Will do now, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.