• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokémon & PokéRadar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I must disagree about the 'edges are safe' observation though. I say this because seemingly they are sometimes safe, but, sometimes not. I just had a 16 Skiddo chain break after going to an edge patch. It initiated the battle fine etc, but when it ended, no patches rustled (they must have all geographically fallen off-grass, in regards to the games mechanics).
Hmm, probably best to assume edges can break chains then. It could be that my friend just got lucky is all, but if people are willing to do further testing... =p

DryBones

Event Collector
Hmm, probably best to assume edges can break chains then. It could be that my friend just got lucky is all, but if people are willing to do further testing... =p

I've been doing most of my testing within the first 20 of a chain (so I dont get too annoyed if it breaks).

Typically, just as I made my last post, an Abra broke my chain for no apparent reason. Started again though. Ignoring the two '4 patch' rules makes things so much faster for the first 10-20 chains. Will keep investigating!

DryBones

Event Collector
I just use pen & paper for active chains (tally style).

Started a Skiddo chain at 2:00AM (It's now 2:08AM), currently on 13. So just over 1 a minute. So far so good.

Regality

Digital King
Is breeding, Masuda Method, the best way to get shinies?
Or would poke radar be better?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Personally the way I kept track of chains in 4th gen was to go by the used PP. Assuming 1HKOs, one used move = 1 on the chain, so that saved me keeping paper or looking at the app for it, and just focus on the steps one instead.

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™

If you have the Poké Radar method down pretty well I'd say it's probably better. But Masuda Method can be easier despite being a little more time consuming.

DryBones

Event Collector

Its all down to preference.

Masuda Method is a 4/8192 chance of getting a shiny. And you can pretty much control IVs and other things like that if you're using the right parents. It's lengthy though and once you get one shiny, there's no guarantee you'll get more any time soon.

Chaining is 1/8192 (Using the old chance rate for reference, although its rumoured to have changed) if you chain up to 40. At which point it becomes 4/200 (due to 4 patches), or, as it also is, 1/50. Keep resetting here and you'll get shinies (I say 'shinies' because you have a better chance of getting multiples after 40) easier. The 'build up' is harder though, chaining takes practice.

Honkfish

I just use pen & paper for active chains (tally style).

Started a Skiddo chain at 2:00AM (It's now 2:08AM), currently on 13. So just over 1 a minute. So far so good.

Are you just going for matching grass shakes instead of the 4-7 spaces rule?

HollowZard

Hello there! x3
After a couple of hours of using the Poke Radar to no luck, I've decided to find a foreign Ditto. Found a Korean one. Now it's time to try and find a Shiny Froakie!

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
After a couple of hours of using the Poke Radar to no luck, I've decided to find a foreign Ditto. Found a Korean one. Now it's time to try and find a Shiny Froakie!

Guys posts about just shiny pokemon in general go here

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?588780-Official-New-and-Improved-General-Shiny-Thread

This thread is for talking about the Pokeradar and finding shiny Pokemon WITH the Pokeradar. Posts unrelated to the Pokeradar don't belong here.

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
EDIT: Sorry. I found 3 shiny pancham yesterday with two chains of 40 and 45. Used repels and Im running low on cash...

V4LOVER

chirp
EDIT: Sorry. I found 3 shiny pancham yesterday with two chains of 40 and 45. Used repels and Im running low on cash...

Where did you do these chains? Sounds like you did it in a pretty bountiful area.

I myself am farming hordes for shinies. None yet, however, and I've switched areas a couple times. I'm currently doing it in Terminus Cave, in the second section of it (B1F?). I've got a Magnet Pull Magneton with a Smoke Ball in the front just to attract Durant and Aron, my two targets (I'd like either one).

Chains for me haven't been so good, my highest was maybe 8 Litleos.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?588780-Official-New-and-Improved-General-Shiny-Thread

This thread is for talking about the Pokeradar and finding shiny Pokemon WITH the Pokeradar. Posts unrelated to the Pokeradar don't belong here.
Ahem.

Please don't mini mod, especially if you're telling people incorrect info! Sure, this thread is for the Pokeradar, and there is an official shiny Pokemon thread, but people can talk about general Shiny Pokemon found in the 6th gen here too. Heck, the thread title is Shiny Pokemon and Pokeradar Thread.

Besides, other gens have their own shiny Pokemon thread too. E.g. 5th gen thread, and 3rd gen thread. The Pokemon General Discussion thread is for all gens, but doesn't replace those.

In other words - as long as you're talking about shiny Pokemon found in X&Y, it's fine to talk about them here.

dbApplejack

Whitney's Protege

It says Shiny Pokemon & Poke Radar thread. It's all fine it seems.

Anyway, it looks like the only way for me to get a shiny Aurorus is through masuda method. Unless Amaura is somehow in the wild.

ShinyZorua28

*Trumpets playing*
Managed to get a shiny Tyrunt on the ninth try! :D I don't have a phone to show but the brown part of the regular Pokémon are blue while the orange parts and the jaw/belly area of it have turned to silver. I feel like nicknaming it Zwei since by the time it hatched one of the songs of Panzer Dragoon Zwei just finished as if it was making a grand entrance!

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
Where did you do these chains? Sounds like you did it in a pretty bountiful area.

I myself am farming hordes for shinies. None yet, however, and I've switched areas a couple times. I'm currently doing it in Terminus Cave, in the second section of it (B1F?). I've got a Magnet Pull Magneton with a Smoke Ball in the front just to attract Durant and Aron, my two targets (I'd like either one).

Chains for me haven't been so good, my highest was maybe 8 Litleos.

Does using Honey/Sweet Scent simply make hordes more common or does it guarantee them? I kind of prefer doing random encounters myself as opposed to breeding or chaining so a promise of 5 Pokemon at a time would be great.
If not then the word is that shinies are more common in Friend Safari...I'm usually opposed to the idea of shiny chances increasing but the amount of people finding a shiny quickly or finding several shinies in a few days is remarkable. It's common to have people think chances have gone up but this seems consistent and isn't just coincidence of a couple lucky people posting. Friends of mine have found them in Safari as well so I'm starting to lean towards that as my first shiny hunt location.

I tried out the Poké Radar a bit ago, and didn't really have any luck with it (max chain of 5). So I turned my attention to using my Slurpuff to Sweet Scent some horde encounters on Route 15 (cause the music is MARVELOUS). I am now the happy owner of a shiny Murkrow.

blasian amtrax

Does using Honey/Sweet Scent simply make hordes more common or does it guarantee them? I kind of prefer doing random encounters myself as opposed to breeding or chaining so a promise of 5 Pokemon at a time would be great.
If not then the word is that shinies are more common in Friend Safari...I'm usually opposed to the idea of shiny chances increasing but the amount of people finding a shiny quickly or finding several shinies in a few days is remarkable. It's common to have people think chances have gone up but this seems consistent and isn't just coincidence of a couple lucky people posting. Friends of mine have found them in Safari as well so I'm starting to lean towards that as my first shiny hunt location.

Yep, honey and sweet scent are guaranteed hordes

Status
Not open for further replies.