• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokémon & PokéRadar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
So in my friend safari you can find a ivysaur right....I was on skype with a friend and he found a shiny ivysaur in my safari xD

I found a shiny weepinbell myself some time ago. c:

Last edited:

Asuto

So in my friend safari you can find a ivysaur right....I was on skype with a friend and he found a shiny ivysaur in my safari xD

I found a shiny weepinbell myself some time ago. c:

I wish you could use the Pokeradar in the safari... I'd definitely be going for a shiny Ninetails there. xD

Oh well, Masuda Method for me.

Asuto

What is the Friend Safari? I haven't had access to my 3DS since Friday morning and I've only got 7 badges.

I'm not sure if this really counts as a spoiler, but just in case:

You unlock it after you beat the elite four. Basically, each person is assigned 3 Pokemon of the same type at random(from a very large pool). When you add these people, you get access to their Pokemon. You need lots of friends to get lots of Pokemon from the Safari. :p

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
I found a Shiny Kirlia which is something I've been looking for almost 10 years. Then it used Teleport... Then I found a Shiny Mawile, but it's Timid nature >.< Still, a Shiny is a Shiny. I'm gonna keep looking for another Shiny Kirlia, and this time I'm gonna Master Ball it.

Alfred Jones

Cryptic thoughts
I just added someone's Friend Safari because they said there was Ivysaur in it, so I wanted to catch one and the first one I ran into was shiny. Ahhhhh I was not looking for a shiny.

DryBones

Event Collector
Are you just going for matching grass shakes instead of the 4-7 spaces rule?

Yep. I used to follow the rule completely (for fear of breaking my chains) but after testing it for multiple chains now, I can confirm it is non-existent. Just keep going for the same type of patch you started with. If in doubt, reset the radar.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that the 'patch bunching' pseudo-rule from 4th Gen is back in play. I.e. if 3 of the 4/5 patches all touch each other, and you go in one of them, it might give you a different Pokemon. Not guaranteed to do this but I'm not taking any risks again.

Had a 21 chain break this morning because of that.

MegaAbsol

While breeding I accidently went into the flowers and found a shiny Smeargle, at first I thought it was just my eyes playing up (having lack of sleep and a eye infection) but nope, was shiny... sadly quite a useless one for me.

As for the PokeRadar, finding it more annoying than the previous one but I'll get used to it or level up a whole team to 100 trying! :p

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Started my RE Hunt and MM Hunt last night, I am REing in the friend Safari (Ghost). Trying to get a Shiny Phantump or alternitavely a Shiny Lampent, but I would prefer Phantump! I am MMing for a Shiny Bergmite, my favourite Pokemon of this Gen!

Wish me Luck!

EDIT: Where can you check how many encounters you have done?

Last edited:

Honkfish

Yep. I used to follow the rule completely (for fear of breaking my chains) but after testing it for multiple chains now, I can confirm it is non-existent. Just keep going for the same type of patch you started with. If in doubt, reset the radar.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that the 'patch bunching' pseudo-rule from 4th Gen is back in play. I.e. if 3 of the 4/5 patches all touch each other, and you go in one of them, it might give you a different Pokemon. Not guaranteed to do this but I'm not taking any risks again.

Had a 21 chain break this morning because of that.

Hm I might try that today then. I chained up a 40 streak of Croagunk yesterday and I managed to get a shiny one after about 30 minutes of resetting the radar. I didn't find another one after about 70x max repels and 20~ish super repels. At the end when I'd just about run out I decided to step into the closest matching bush and a volbeat popped up. I don't think it was touching any other bushes but it was pretty late so I might be wrong.

Think I'll go for a shiny Swirlix today.

redphoenix

I am so mad. Got a chain of 40 for Liepard and the next patch I step on was a Watchog. There was nothing I thought was wrong with this patch but it broke my chain before I got a shiny T_T have to start again now after chaining for over two hours and using over 200 max repels. Sake.

V4LOVER

chirp
Trying Friend Safari now, could be a Dwebble, Pupitar (I'm in X ;) ), or Rhydon. No luck with Aron or Durant as of right now, sadly.

DryBones

Event Collector
[video=youtube;UJWT7Zp_PmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJWT7Zp_PmY[/video]

So this happened. (Switch to 720p if you can, best quality)

I did note however that after catching this, no other shinies appeared. I used another 50 Max Repels, which equates to 250 Radar Resets. I also pushed the chain to 64. Still nothing. I believe they've changed the mechanics as it was always possible in DPPt to follow the 4/200(1/50) rule when resetting 40+ into a chain. Happy about my shiny but annoyed if they have actually changed the mechanics.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
I am so mad. Got a chain of 40 for Liepard and the next patch I step on was a Watchog. There was nothing I thought was wrong with this patch but it broke my chain before I got a shiny T_T have to start again now after chaining for over two hours and using over 200 max repels. Sake.

Why did you enter a patch that wasn't a shiny patch?

Douchemon

Scientist
I have noticed something small, at the daycare center there are 2 esspurs. But at some point these where 2 SHINY esspurs. They are back to normal now.

Honkfish

So this happened. (Switch to 720p if you can, best quality)

I did note however that after catching this, no other shinies appeared. I used another 50 Max Repels, which equates to 250 Radar Resets. I also pushed the chain to 64. Still nothing. I believe they've changed the mechanics as it was always possible in DPPt to follow the 4/200(1/50) rule when resetting 40+ into a chain. Happy about my shiny but annoyed if they have actually changed the mechanics.

Yeah I think they changed it so you can only get 1 shiny from a max chain now which is pretty annoying but still. Shiny non the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.