• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokémon & PokéRadar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekimashda

tha shiiz?
Using the fishing chaining method, does one have to bite every time you cast your rod?

yes they do. Get a pokemon with suction cups as your first and fish in a square that has as many walls around it as possible.

Got my 2nd shiny qwilfish now after stuffing up my massive chain QQ

Using the fishing chaining method, does one have to bite every time you cast your rod?
Yes. If you "don't even get a nibble", it breaks the chain. The best way to (almost) guarantee a bite every time is to use a Pokémon with Suction Cups or Sticky Hold first in your party and find a fishing spot that is pretty secluded, like a dead end of a water route or besides rocks/beach/land. You can run away from the fished Pokémon and continue fishing until you find a shiny.

EDIT: Finally got that damn shiny Goldeen (was hoping for Corphish though haha), after an hour of fishing and a chain of... I don't even know.

Last edited:

Rosa

I don't get it, everytime I try it with eevee it gives me a different pokemon? It works with houndoom and snubull? What is going on? Anyone else getting this with eevee? I just want a shiny female eevee, then I can die a happy girl. :/ If anyone is getting the same or know what I am doing wrong please message me. I do have a shiny spinda I can trade for it or I am breeding ralts, eevee and pikachu (pichu) every so often in hopes for a shiny as well.

I take it then no one else is having this issue?

WMHBA

MASUDA METHOD DOES IT AGAIN!

Finally hatch my 5th shiny! And its a Charmander! This fellow took me exactly 366 eggs. It's the longest hunt for me so far 2nd by Torchic which took 255 i believe.

So now i have

Shiny Torchic

Shiny Shelmet

Shiny Froakie

Shiny Pawniard

Shiny Charmander

So which last shiny should i hunt for to balance my team overall before i continue my progress with the game?(Still with just 1 badge lol)

I'm thinking of Axew or the new rock/dragon pokemon obtained from the Jaw Fossil. Axew might be my biggest challenge for a shiny yet with its large egg base step count.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

jstubbs104

does saving the game break the chain?

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Does anyone have a good up to date guide for using the PokéRadar? I always end up breaking the chain or having too low of a battery,

I just tried to chain on route 8 with a super rod for a shiny star use, and heck is it hard. Anyone know how much the shiny rate goes up when fishing chaining?
At least I got my 20 dive balls.

L-Knight

The Mega Blastoise
today i caught a shiny clauncher by fish chaining its red so i called it first hero (please get it ) after 7 tries

Dekimashda

tha shiiz?
We don't have any numbers for the shiny rate while fish chaining, however it is pretty high in my opinion. Heaps of people have been getting shiny pokemon through this method really quickly. I've managed 3 shinies within about 3 hrs.

For the pokeradar...haha I don't have the patience for it. I only ever chained one shiny in plat but it was too frustrating. Even more so in this gen with the 'fake' rustles. I attempted chaining yesterday but broke my chain around 14ish? As far as I understand it works mostly the same way as it used to, being you have to choose a rustling patch which is 4 squares away from where you are, not walking into a patch that rustled on the edge of the grass area and using repels to keep non pokeradar pokemon away. If it is dangerous to walk into a patch due to any of the above you have to reset the battery on the radar and do it again. Roller skates and hopping on your bike end your chain..sucks when you accidentally press the wrong one.

interludes

Dark type trainer
Sound yesterday a shiny nosepass in friend safari! Yay!!!first one so far in my xy experience!! :)

Aeolution

Magikarp Hoarder.
Got my shiny Gyarados! had a few those chains, failed a few of them but eventually he came by and I got him! :DDD

Can I use any rod for chain fishing or is it exclusive to super rod? I wanted a shiny for my team and I don't like catching already high leveled pokemon for using. Thanks

Last edited:

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Can I use any rod for chain fishing or is it exclusive to super rod? I wanted a shiny for my team and I don't like catching already high leveled pokemon for using. Thanks

You can use any Rod - I used an Old Rod yesterday to get a Shiny Magikarp after 119 encounters.

I have also just caught a Shiny Lampent in the Friend Safari, but it wasn't the Phantump I wanted, but oh well!

I am going to get it soon though!

Congratz on all the other Shinies too!

luckyporygon

praise helix fossil
just got a shiny magikarp from chain fishing after only 26 casts!!! :D

You can use any Rod - I used an Old Rod yesterday to get a Shiny Magikarp after 119 encounters.

I have also just caught a Shiny Lampent in the Friend Safari, but it wasn't the Phantump I wanted, but oh well!

I am going to get it soon though!

Congratz on all the other Shinies too!

Oh thanks! So far I catched a shiny Flabèbè using poke radar, it wasn't that difficult and it's totally worth the time, she's gorgeous!

SharpedoSteve

Sink/Swim
Currently seeing/testing how likely/probable shinies appear using the sweet scent hoard method. In theory it should work due to sweet scent acting simular to a chain and the fact that five pokemon appear at a time every time it's used. On route 11 hoping to find a shiny Nidoran Male :)

orsmness1

Water Pokemon Master
Where would everyone recommend shiny hunting? I mean, which routes would be the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.