• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokemon Get Traded?

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
How do people get all these shiny Pokémon!? I've seen people actually trade their shiny Pokémon. If I ever had a shiny I would never let it go. I've played through every Pokémon game even the Colosseum games and I've only encountered shiny Pokémon twice (and had really bad luck). The first time was in Leaf Green it was a red Rhyhorn, but it was in the Safari Zone and of course it got away. I actually managed to encounter it again within the same patch of grass but I failed to capture it a second time. The other shiny I encountered was in Pokémon Platinum, it was a brown Graveler on Route 214. I was so excited that it wasn't in the Safari Zone and that I would be able to capture it that I took my time and got it's HP down low and then I was going to capture it in my favorite Poke ball, the Premier Ball when it used Selfdestruct... Is there some trick I'm missing?

Last edited:

Abus0ru

アブソル
Pokeradar, breeding with different languaged pokemon, RNG abuse and cheating. The first 2 are perfectly legit and easier ways to get them, and there are some guides here to help with them I believe.

EDIT: Almost forgot, reseting the game before recieving pokemon and battling legendaries.

Last edited:

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
While still rare, DPPt intro'd other methods of getting legit shinys (besides random encounters). There is the PokeRadar and the Matsuda Method (hatch a egg w/ a foreign parent. Diamond and Pearl limit it to a dozen or so species but Platinum lets any poke from a registered GTS country have it's dex read in native lang.) Plus the way trades are processed it is poss to clone pokes if you time it right.
I've tried shinys twice on serebii. In both cases, I got good pokemon for it. A Distant Land Shuckle for Illumise, and a Palkia for Tangela. If you have a shiny of your own you want to swap there is the batch trading thread.Otherwise go offer one of yr pokes and request a shiny on the trade forum. Obv you'll have better luck if you have a legend or event to offer but some ppl are rly generous. You never know until you try.

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
i think quite a few people clone their shiny pokemon to trade copies away too - doesn't bother me as i've only every caught 1 myself (random lucky encounter no hax ****) i'm far too impatient to chain or masuda (sp?) breed and the RNG thing is seriously tl;dr

hit the trade forums dude - if you're prepared to build up points at the battle tower to buy rare items for trading & breed good natured pokemon with egg moves you can get some good deals with people there

I RNG'd a shiny Jolly Flygon last night within 2-3 hours. It's IVs are 31/31/31/15/31/31. That's how most people get LOADS of shinys. :)

Nintenfreak

Boulder Trainer
RNG abuse is, by far, the easiest way to make a Shining Pokemon. It might be TL;DR, but it is faster than chaining and less time consuming than the Matsuda method. Plus you can breed shining Pokemon with it, and save before talking to the Old Man. After you save, that Egg's PID is set, but its IVs are not, so yeah.

No cheating, no nothing, just using the system to your advantage.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Oh my Gosh "2-3" hours what exactly is this RNG? I have a lot of Japanese Pokémon so I can breed as well. As for the Poke radar, I don't have it yet. I know I said I played through all the games but I haven't finished Platinum yet, I only have five badges. I have this crazy idea off collecting the badges at the same pace as the anime so I don't have any legendaries I can trade right now. I'm actually a little afraid of getting hacked Pokémon anyway but I may try at some point.

Oh my Gosh "2-3" hours what exactly is this RNG? I have a lot of Japanese Pokémon so I can breed as well. As for the Poke radar, I don't have it yet. I know I said I played through all the games but I haven't finished Platinum yet, I only have five badges. I have this crazy idea off collecting the badges at the same pace as the anime so I don't have any legendaries I can trade right now. I'm actually a little afraid of getting hacked Pokémon anyway but I may try at some point.

Yeah, it only took me 15 minutes to make the egg shiny with RNG. The other time was spent getting the IVs right (a little harder to do). If I wanted 20 shinys (which I don't) I could have them within a day or so. :)

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
What! You are so horrible! Tell me exactly how you do it. Whats is an RGN, I put it in google and all I got was "random number generator." How does that apply to Pokemon?

Apocalypse_ZLS

The Apocalypse
RNG does stand for Random Number Generator, yes.

It would make more sense if you look at it this way:

Each Pokemon is assigned a random number. When you breed an egg without the Masuda method/walk in a random patch of grass, you have a 1/8142 (or roughly therefore) chance of getting a shiny from said egg/encountering a shiny.

A shiny would therefore be assigned a number from 1 to 8142, and you have to be THAT lucky to "roll the dice" and land of said number. It's like a game of Poker or Blackjack, in a sense. Either you're lucky, or you're not.

RNG is just a way to ensure that you managed to get that "number" that enables you to get a shiny.

Hopefully, that made sense. Smogon has an explanation on RNGing. If you don't want to read all their technical speak, just search up "RNG abuse" on YouTube.

You can PM me for more information, if you're still unsure or confused.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Yeah, I don't want hack anything. I want this to be totally legit. I'm going to do what Apocalypse said and take a visit to Smogon.

miloticsavior

YOUR out of order!!
Well you could RNG, my advice is just don't be one of those cheap idiots who think its cool to give all of your pokemon 31 ivs in every stat. It can be fair, or if you have no morals whatso ever it can be a cheap method. You could also learn how to pokeradar I guess, but that's only if you have alot of time on your hands.

miloticsavior

YOUR out of order!!
Well you could RNG, my advice is just don't be one of those cheap idiots who think its cool to give all of your pokemon 31 ivs in every stat. It can be fair, or if you have no morals whatso ever it can be a cheap method. You could also learn how to pokeradar I guess, but that's only if you have alot of time on your hands.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Wow! There was a link, and it was exactly what I wanted to know. I guess I just missed it. Thanks Luminous!