• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny Pokemon- Should IVs Matter?

Do you care about IVs in Shiny Pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Traders in X any Y, as far as I've noticed, probably ask for fantastic IV Shiny Pokemon about 95% of the time...and many people are tired of that. I'm not really big on whether it's amazing competitively, but I'm not complaining if I get a good Shiny stat-wise.

Now, for my question- Do you care if the Shiny has great stats, or don't care, because it's a Shiny?

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I believe this poll could easily be inserted in the Official New and Improved Shiny Thread. :p

Anyway, yes, I do care about my shinies's IVs. It's still not the most important thing when it comes to shinies (I'd gladly accept a shiny I find myself with poor IVs), but it's still a nice surprise to get good IVs with it. A shiny itself is great, but what makes it even more special to your eyes is if it has a great potential in battles. There's nothing cooler than being able to use your shiny Pokémon in battles and show your pride to the world. :)

Laurelai

My answer was "sometimes" :) I have several shines that are quite competitive, and some that are simply lovely. Now that IV breeding has more tools, I have found that I enjoy the challenge of breeding high IV shiny for competition. I also enjoy my "trophy" shinies that will never be competitive but are just their pretty sparkly little selves :)

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I can see both sides of it, but it seems, to me anyway, that that's all people care about when it comes to trading them. "Does *** Shiny have 6IVs?" ...I hate those words, lol

I think expecting hex flawless IVs on a shiny is pretty unrealistic expectations... Even in Gen 6, the Destiny Knot only passes 5 IVs down, so one of them is always going to be random. You'd have to be pretty lucky to hit a shiny that has a random 31.

In Gen 4-5 it's not as unrealistic as you can RNG abuse a shiny with flawless IVs, but still.

Anyway, I personally prefer my shinies to have at least decent IVs so that I can use them if I want to. I make sure I try to get the best IVs I can while I'm MMing a shiny.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Sure, I like having amazing Shiny Pokemon, but still...it's a Shiny, so even if it sucks, I don't complain about it, or mind, as...well, I have a Pure Shiny Team that i need to lvl up :3

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I can see both sides of it, but it seems, to me anyway, that that's all people care about when it comes to trading them. "Does *** Shiny have 6IVs?" ...I hate those words, lol

I think you're right to dislike that. I don't know how some people can ask for shinies in the first place. To me, it's a reward of hard work and effort put by someone to get them by themselves. Those asking for that type of shinies are the ones who fully compete competitively and want to show off beautiful shinies as well. I don't think the most important thing is to get high stats, but it's really enjoyable - like said Laurelai - to aim for the highest IVs (especially by breeding) and be happy with it at the end. :p

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
^ I agree with mjunior3; when a statement contains "6IVs" or "flawless" and "shiny" I usually ignore it.

I find the IVs matter only when I want to use a particular shiny in competitive battling. Which does not happen very often, mind you. Other than that they are just for show and their stats/nature don't really matter.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
True, and I get that, cuz I actually got an offer for a Shiny Cobalion and Virizion today (Completing the set), but they asked for...wait for it...a Shiny 5+ IV Pokemon for either. I have a few, no lie, but those are mine, lol, and I got a Shiny Jolly 5IV Rayquaza two nights ago for a Croconaw. Complaints? Nope. Did I care about it's stats when I traded? Nope.

Laurelai

I haven't gotten lucky enough to hit a 6 IV shiny yet. That's ok- even with 4 (unless your important IVs are missing) I am very very fine with them. I mean really- what pokemon uses all 6 IVs? Generally when I breed, I use a 6 IV and a 5 IV because I am generally just not patient enough to breed 2 perfect IV pokemon for breeding.... which is kind of silly, because with 6/5 parents, a perfect one will generally show up every 50 or so eggs, and I frequently hatch over 1000 to achieve my shiny >.<

TRADING A LEVEL 12 SPINDA- LOOKING FOR A LEVEL 91 OR ABOVE SHINY SYLVEON!!

hehehe- yeah. I make the assumption that those are young kids asking for those trades.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Lol, I started hording Shinies in Y (Over 85 at this point), and most of them are for GTS trades, since people on online sites *cough cough facebook cough* want Kalos Bred 5IV Shinies...yay...only got one, and it's NOT FOR TRADE! XD

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Honestly I don't really care about shiny Pokémon. Well, I love finding them, but I'm not interested in actually using them... maybe unless they'd happen to have the perfect nature and IVs. What I find more important about shinies is whether they have my OT or not.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
What I find more important about shinies is whether they have my OT or not.

It sums it all. That's mostly the only thing I care a lot about shinies.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Yeah, I can understand that. Self-Obtained Shinies are the best, and I've gotten a few in Y (5 to be exact), so I get it, lol

Illusione-Tempus

Well, to say that whether IVs matter on shiny Pokemon really depends on the individual. Although, what with everybody searching for "Competitive shinies", I'm pretty honest... I'm sick of it.

Everywhere I go it's the same thing. It's really frustrating, you know?

I personally enjoy IV breeding and MMing, and since my 6IV Ditto is Japanese as well, I normally MM while IV breeding. It really makes the shiny truly worth investing your time when you finally obtained one.

But even so, if one were to offer me a shiny, the first thing I will ask is whether it can be nicknamed. Because I like to nickname my shinies, and I'll be the happiest if my shinies has my OT and ID. :D

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I only care about the IVs of my hatched shinies because getting them with good IVs is fairly easy and I always want to be able to use them in the Battle Maison (I gave up with online battling after PokeBank came out). If I randomly find a shiny in the wild I don't care about its IVs as I have less control over what they'll be. I hardly ever find random shinies so, whenever I do, I'm just happy I found one.

As for traders asking for flawless shinies on the GTS I just flat out ignore them. If they want flawless shinies they can get them on their own. I don't see many people willing to trade their flawless Kalos-bred shinies for something stupid and easy to get. I don't trade any of my shinies, bad IVs, traded or otherwise. I will only trade away obviously hacked ones. Also, with the number of hacked shinies flooding the GTS I'd be reluctant to keep any non-Kalos shiny as there's no way to prove whether or not it's legit or not.

Last edited:

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
I once tired to breed a shiny Archen for competitive, but he ended up with one good IV and the rest were awful xD I didn't care though, I got 2 egg moves on him and I loved him... He was in my party when my game corrupted :c RIP baby.

Aside from that I really hate when people ask for flawless IVs. And when I ask for shinies, I don't care about IVs - in fact, I'd take a unloved shiny anyday - it's why I chained for a Dunsparce :p

Status
Not open for further replies.