• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeShadow

I have heard somewhere, that you have to play a certain amount of time to obtain a shiny, is this true?

DarkPsychoBoost

Future World Emperor
I have heard somewhere, that you have to play a certain amount of time to obtain a shiny, is this true?

You should stop hearing things. I have played a lot and have never encountered a shiny in a wild.

kinglax

will give nethin 4it
wrongzo. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Naraku_Diabolos

DNC20/NIN10
No but the more time you play the more probability you have to see or catch a shiny due to more encounters...

CORRECT! You need to be in an area battling wild Pokemon for a LONG time, and non-stop too. What you need to do is get some health restoring items and Leppa berries. The more time you spend battling in a certain area, the higher the chance there is of encountering a shiny.

I did that method on Ruby 3 years ago and came across 2 shiny Linoone in the same area. AND, to make you guys really ticked off, it was the same area where you encounter Feebas. I encountered a SHINY Feebas and caught it. Now it's a shiny Milotic. I just traded it to Emerald this morning.

There was a thread about this in 2005. It's not false; just keep training in an area for a long time and never leave there. You're bound to run into a shiny in no time.

Saurior

Solar Powered
Sorry to keep this going, but that's not true. SapphireWonder said that 1 out of 8192 are shinies, right? That is a probability. So, this is true every time you battle. It's like rolling a dice with 8192 sides, every time a battle begins. So that means, that even after 8191 battles without a shiny, the chance of your next battle to be a shiny, is still 1 in 8192. That's why they are so rare, and I find it very hard to believe when people brag (in sigs etc) about their 20 or more shinies. Either they play 24/7, or they don't tell the truth :p

Edit: oh and Naraku Diabolos (you lucky b*stard :p), how much time have you spent there? I'm pretty sure that the probability doesn't increase, so that it is 1 in 4000 all of a sudden if you stay in one area... right?

Last edited:

BlazeShadow

OK, but you can obtain a Shiny from the game corner in leafgreen like Shiny Pinsir?

BlazeShadow

Argh. I want a Shiny so my friend gets uber jeaolus =D

Female Steelix

A Female Steelix
I've been playing pokemon for as long as it's been around and after all these years look at the only shinys I've ever encountered! Only four! (and a long deleted shiny I found on Ruby on my first play through of any third gen game.)

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
I've been playing pokemon for as long as it's been around and after all these years look at the only shinys I've ever encountered! Only four! (and a long deleted shiny I found on Ruby on my first play through of any third gen game.)

At least you got some. I've played for half my life and never seen one.

"L"

No it's not true.

Now expect about 10 more unnecessary replies, idenctical to this one.

With this that makes twelve unnecissary posts. Isnt it funny how people never read the post before it to see if the question has been answered?

BlazeShadow

I have played my hole life, and i only have two..That my friend gave to me -_-
ARK! I WAAAAAAAAAANT SHINYS!!

Female Steelix

A Female Steelix
At least you got some. I've played for half my life and never seen one.

Just play A LOT! I spend most of my free time looking for shiny pokemon

Off Topic: The quote in your sig is very freakin' funny!

BlazeShadow

I am planning a big shiny hunt soon..Just need to choose prey.

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
I found a Shiny Geodude on my LG with only 3 hours of gameplay and I found Shiny Golbat on Emerald after about 33 hours of gameplay. In Fire Red, I never found a Shiny despite over 250 hours of gameplay.

Darkdragonmaster

<<<Isn't It Cute!!!
Ruby+400 hrs= NO SHINIES!!!!!!!!!!!
iv played since the beginnin and iv neva seen a shiny yet my 8 yr old supa noob sista has caught 2!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.