• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shiny %

Aranna

Ok so i havent gotten any shiny pokemon yet but my friend while playing through got 3 a shiny Gastly, Kadabra and a Golbat. So does anyone know the % that you will find a shiny cos im not happy that i still dont have one.

Jimbobson

Piplup Master
Try using the Poke Radar (you get after completing the Sinnoh Dex from Prof. Rowan, i think) If you dont know how to use the Poke Radar then its quite easy.
To use it, just walk in to a patch of grass, make sure your NOT on your bike, and make sure the Radar is fully charged (it charges by walking)
If you use it an you see some silver sparkels in the grass, then if you walk onto it, it should be a shiny. (make sure you have at least 30 max repels)
usually you dont see this grass at the first, so just keep trying in differant patches of grass, there is chaining but thats quite hard to explain (for me anyways) and it never works for me....

zitroz

I met a shiny geodude yestureday by that method it was my first shiny and I understand that you want one!

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
Soft Reseting at set times of receiving a pokemon/catching a legendary.. some people get good result from this.

SaulGCube

Aeroga
huh so it really does work since i saw the grass sparkle before but no shiny -_-

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
1/8192 is the chance of seeing a shiny.

That is the equivalent of flipping a coin and getting heads 13 times in a row.

firewall

don't pee in my lake
I know how frustrating it is to be one of the few who don't experience these things-I didn't get a wild shiny until playing d/p and I was like 400hours in.
Nine years of fandom and this is the first random shiny I ever had! I did get the ones in gen2 that were programmed for everyone (red gyarados and higher chance for cystal's mystery egg) but as those are supposed to be there, I didn't count them.

SaulGCube

Aeroga
xD 400hours?! wow never played my game that much only played 250^^ but yeah i still have yet to see anouther shiny and my freind just found a shiny machoke -_-.My last shiny was a stupid poochyena -_- in emerald

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It should be noted that theoretical probability is outmatched to experimental probability. In other words, some people are just going to be luckier than others. I, myself have seven shinies, though one came from a trade.

Thriller

Its almost time
I've only had a few shiny encounters:

Generation II

Butterfree: Found in Crystal during the bug catching contest. I instanty caught it and didn't even bother continueing. I named in Sparkle and it became part of my best team yet.

Zubat/Golbat: Found in Crystal in the Ice Cave. Evolved it into Golbat pretty quickly. Named it Shine Bat. Traded it to my Gold which had a glitch attack and Shine Bat was gone.

Generation III

Machop: Found just outside that cave by the tram. Evolved it quickly. Started training it to be in the Toughness Contests but didn't get too far. Because I was an idiot, I purposely restarted my Ruby and lost Machoke.

Generation IV

Before I was even able to capture Pokemon, I ran into a Shiny Bidoof :mad: Real shame too because I was planning on getting a Bibarel as my Water type.

So yeah, unlike people like Missingno Master, I have horrible shiny luck. Blame that on short attention span. Soft reseting? Pokeradar method? I have no patience for those methods.

SaulGCube

Aeroga
xD wow that sucks at the last reason i saw a shiny zubat in gold i tryed catching it but wasted all my pokeballs -_-

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
All of my shiny pokemon but one (a charmander got in lg by soft reseting) was gotten cause it was in game (crystal game) or by trade. I now have none of them, and I have never found a shiny wild. My mom in her crystal found like a thousand shiny zubats but she never caught any. She hates that pokemon. And my brother caught a shiny venonat...and I play far more than both them combined and still no wild shiny for me. Can anyone's bad luck beat that? lol.

SaulGCube

Aeroga
xD wow u got a shiny charmander!?lucky u can get a black charizard T.T but yeah ur mom must be real lucky for that many zubats o_O

eevee10

IM LORD OF PLAITNUM
this is funny it happened twice i found a shiny pochyanna and shiny shroomish but i didnt have any pokeballs to catch it with but i have 6 shinys now