• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shipping Misconceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Skiyomi, thanks!

This thread is for the sole purpose of debunking most commonly seen misconceptions against certain ships. Some examples:

Shipping: Pearlshipping

Topic: high fives and the Pearlshippers' views on them

Misconception: "So high fiving your friend is supposed to mean you love them? lol Okay sure."

Clarification: Okay, this is something that has ALWAYS bugged me about the anti/non shippers. I've seen some people make claims that all Pearlshippers honestly believe the high fives are supposed to mean Ash and Dawn love each other or something (seriously?). That is not true. A majority of Pearlshippers I know have seen the high fives as a symbolic gesture for their strong bond/friendship, and never seriously thought that they meant that "OMG they must love each other!" It's a simple gesture with a somewhat deep meaning behind it that Ash and Dawn share together and has had an unusual focus on for something that is normally seen as "trivial". As shippers, we will take this moment and cherish it however we want. Besides it's not like those high fives are the only thing we have for our ship, so if it's the only argument against it, then...it's not a very good one. I don't speak for everyone, but I can safely say this is the opinion of the majority based on my observations.

So, please share any misconceptions for your ship that you would like to clarify to others reading this topic so as to make more people understand why you like it and such.

RULES:

- Respect your fellow shippers. That means no bashing, flaming, or starting a war over anything unnecessary.
- Think before you post, please. That means try to not mention or offhandedly offend any other ships, because those shippers will most likely be reading this topic and might not sit well with what you said. Be more mindful of them.
- Read the Shipper's Community Rules and the general Serebii Forum Rules if you're not familiar with them.

This thread is not for Shipping Debates. Please leave any wars/arguments out of this and direct them towards PM/VMs.

Last edited:

Roromiya

on hiatus
I don't believe high-fives mean they necessarily 'love' each other, just that they have a strong bond.
Oh & I also like your idea of this thread:)

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Not just in Pearlshipping, but in basically any ship in existence (that isn't nevermet), people are quick to assign gestures of friendship to hints of romance, to the point where even simple things like high-fives or otherwise very friendly things are suddenly proof of their undying true love. Love often stems from strong friendship, so it's silly to me that everyone thinks couples need to only be lovers to each other, and not friends that are lovers.

...Although, if this is a thread about stating seemingly-unpopular opinions about ships (and that is what this is, no "clear up misconceptions" about it when they're all purely opinion anyway), why restrict people debating about them as long as there's no sniping or ship wars going on? The setup sounds more conducive to starting arguments if you allow people to present their arguably unpopular opinions as facts and then disallow anyone to debate about them than the reverse.

Not just in Pearlshipping, but in basically any ship in existence (that isn't nevermet), people are quick to assign gestures of friendship to hints of romance, to the point where even simple things like high-fives or otherwise very friendly things are suddenly proof of their undying true love. Love often stems from strong friendship, so it's silly to me that everyone thinks couples need to only be lovers to each other, and not friends that are lovers.

That's what bothers me as well. Can't any ship have a friendly gesture that doesn't have to be misconstrued as love anymore, yet still be considered beneficial for the ship? There are lots of couples who are great friends, yet most people love to play the friend card automatically to use it as a negative factor in said ship.

...Although, if this is a thread about stating seemingly-unpopular opinions about ships (and that is what this is, no "clear up misconceptions" about it when they're all purely opinion anyway), why restrict people debating about them as long as there's no sniping or ship wars going on? The setup sounds more conducive to starting arguments if you allow people to present their arguably unpopular opinions as facts and then disallow anyone to debate about them than the reverse.

I suppose debates are inevitable. I just wanted to steer clear from sparking anything that could blow up disastrously without said restrictions, though going by what you said, it could still turn into something ugly regardless. But then again there is a reason why I consulted a mod beforehand, just to make sure. I'll have to check up on that before changing the OP or editing the rules.

And trust me, I know they are opinions (which is why I said I don't speak for everybody), but when there are people going around believing something that is not entirely true... You just want to speak out, right? Tell them "it's not ALWAYS like that!" or "that argument is not valid" and provide a different point-of-view for them to maybe see things your way as well. It won't solve every problem but at least it's a start.

Or maybe I'm just using the wrong word for all of this. Maybe "Shipping Counterarguments" would be a better choice than misconceptions.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Or maybe I'm just using the wrong word for all of this. Maybe "Shipping Counterarguments" would be a better choice than misconceptions.

Haha sorry Pat. I remember urging you on with this title a bit. ^^;

---

Shipping: Wishfulshipping

Things I hear: Wishfulshipping = pedophilia because Cilan is 18/19 while Iris is 10.

Counterargument: I won't lie, it drives me crazy when I hear people say this (I understand this is the first main anime ship to have an age gap). Not only do I disagree but I find it offensive as well. The first thing I want is proof. So far, there has been no confirmation of Dento/Cilan or Iris's age. We know that Iris is at least 10 (and most likely she is) while Dento--when judging by past main traveling boys--is most likely 14-15. I see no reason that Dento would be 3 to 4 years older than the past males when he has the same body structure of most young teens. I don't know if it's the fact that Iris has that little girl look (being short with big brown eyes) or the fact that Dento is only a head taller. Most of all, I find it offensive to the shippers because it almost sounds like we are being casted as sick-os or something. (In a "What kind of person are you to support that?" kind of way.)

Last edited:

Flame Mistress

---

Things I hear: Wishfulshipping = pedophilia because Cilan is 18/19 while Iris is 10.

Counterargument: I won't lie, it drives me crazy when I hear people say this (I understand this is the first main anime ship to have an age gap). Not only do I disagree but I find it offensive as well. The first thing I want is proof. So far, there has been no confirmation of Dento/Cilan or Iris's age. We know that Iris is at least 10 (and most likely she is) while Dento--when judging by past main traveling boys--is most likely 14-15. I see no reason that Dento would be 3 to 4 years older than the past males when he has the same body structure of most young teens. I don't know if it's the fact that Iris has that little girl look (being short with big brown eyes) or the fact that Dento is only a head taller. Most of all, I find it offensive to the shippers because it almost sounds like we are being casted as sick-os or something. (In a "I don't support that because it's gross!" kind of way.)

Was going to post something like this. And besides, Iris looks slightly older than ten if you look closely - she must be around about twelve.

Really, it's the same thing with ships where the characters are hinted to have an age gap between them (is Ash/Cynthia, Tracey/Misty). Sure, it might seem creepy to some, but as they say, age isn't what matters in a relationship (at least, not always).

I am Lu

---

Counterargument: I won't lie, it drives me crazy when I hear people say this (I understand this is the first main anime ship to have an age gap). Not only do I disagree but I find it offensive as well. The first thing I want is proof. So far, there has been no confirmation of Dento/Cilan or Iris's age. We know that Iris is at least 10 (and most likely she is) while Dento--when judging by past main traveling boys--is most likely 14-15. I see no reason that Dento would be 3 to 4 years older than the past males when he has the same body structure of most young teens. I don't know if it's the fact that Iris has that little girl look (being short with big brown eyes) or the fact that Dento is only a head taller. Most of all, I find it offensive to the shippers because it almost sounds like we are being casted as sick-os or something. (In a "What kind of person are you to support that?" kind of way.)

Adding on, one can't actually assume the age of any character. In the Pokeon universe, one is eligible to begin training Pokemon and leave on their journey at 10-years-old, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Plenty of COTDs don't automatically leave on their 10th birthday. In fact, wasn't there an entire episode in DP where Candice was teaching adult students who had never been on a journey how to care for Pokemon?

Anyway, I suppose my point is that no one can automatically assume Iris is 10. She could 11 or 12 or even older for all we know. The Village of Dragons may operate by a different "coming of age" number.

Also, nobody seems to balk at Gymshipping (Misty/Brock) and that has the same assumed age difference.

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
2 cents: I think the title's best as it is. Counterargument sounds like something more designed to pit ships against each other, while misconception seems like it's aimed at just clarifying the views of people who support these ships. I'm not saying that "counterargument" isn't an appropriate word in the context of this thread, but more that is could cause... ah... misconceptions.

Counterargument: I won't lie, it drives me crazy when I hear people say this (I understand this is the first main anime ship to have an age gap). Not only do I disagree but I find it offensive as well. The first thing I want is proof. So far, there has been no confirmation of Dento/Cilan or Iris's age. We know that Iris is at least 10 (and most likely she is) while Dento--when judging by past main traveling boys--is most likely 14-15. I see no reason that Dento would be 3 to 4 years older than the past males when he has the same body structure of most young teens. I don't know if it's the fact that Iris has that little girl look (being short with big brown eyes) or the fact that Dento is only a head taller. Most of all, I find it offensive to the shippers because it almost sounds like we are being casted as sick-os or something. (In a "I don't support that because it's gross!" kind of way.)

*clicks imaginary "like" button* I've actually always thought Cilan was a little younger than Brock or Tracey. Perhaps it's just the bigger eyes that are fooling me into thinking he's younger, but, tall or not, he seems to me to have the body type of a younger teen. It's up to interpretation since they haven't confirmed anything, but I'd personally peg him at 13 or 14.

But that brings us to another misconception that exists in any pairing with age gaps. Some people think just because you ship two characters with an age gap that it's, as the example points out, "pedophilia."

Clarification: Just because you ship a couple does not mean you want them to start dating or jump into bed immediately. A lot of the characters in Pokemon are kids or young teens. I may ship them, but I'd only want them to start a relationship years down the line when they're ready for it (and when it's legal). In the meantime, all I'm really interested in is crushes and proto-romance. Which means age gaps are okay, within reason. I'm sure plenty of us have parents with significant age gaps. Even if, in the example of WishfulShipping, Iris was 10 and Cilan was 18 (which I find difficult to believe), it won't make much difference when Iris is 30 and Cilan is 38.

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
Adding on, one can't actually assume the age of any character. In the Pokeon universe, one is eligible to begin training Pokemon and leave on their journey at 10-years-old, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Plenty of COTDs don't automatically leave on their 10th birthday. In fact, wasn't there an entire episode in DP where Candice was teaching adult students who had never been on a journey how to care for Pokemon?

Anyway, I suppose my point is that no one can automatically assume Iris is 10. She could 11 or 12 or even older for all we know. The Village of Dragons may operate by a different "coming of age" number.

Also, nobody seems to balk at Gymshipping (Misty/Brock) and that has the same assumed age difference.

About Gymshipping,i think itwas because Kasumi looked older,at least older than Satoshi.That's probably the reason why not much people got into it.Also,Dento works(like normal job and all,not Gym Leader) so people assume that he is older than Takeshi.Still,even if he had an big age gap,why should I bother?It is an anime,it isn't supposed to be realistic,therefore I don't mind age gaps on anime.I also don't think that's a reason good enough for you to get away from a pairing,my opinion though.

Plus there is always time for them to mature before entering a relationship,when both are adults...the age doesn't matter much and this whole "pedophilia" excuse doesn't work.

I am Lu

About Gymshipping,i think itwas because Kasumi looked older,at least older than Satoshi.That's probably the reason why not much people got into it.Also,Dento works(like normal job and all,not Gym Leader) so people assume that he is older than Takeshi.Still,even if he had an big age gap,why should I bother?It is an anime,it isn't supposed to be realistic,therefore I don't mind age gaps on anime.I also don't think that's a reason good enough for you to get away from a pairing,my opinion though.

Plus there is always time for them to mature before entering a relationship,when both are adults...the age doesn't matter much and this whole "pedophilia" excuse doesn't work.

Fair point. A lot of people actually peg Misty at 12 (which, funny enough, actually supports my argument that not everyone leaves for their journey at 10).

Nevertheless, I've always seen Iris as a little bit older than Ash. My reasoning: She calls him (and Trip, who would also be younger than her) a little kid. However, she's never once (at least, not as far as I know) referred her senior, Cilan, as a kid. She instead substitutes 'kid' for 'pain' because it would nonsensical to call him a kid since he's a couple years older than her.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Well, what made my eyebrow raise wasn't so much the word "misconceptions" as it was that the opening post sounded sort of wishy-washy about fact vs. opinion with regard to ships, and then just said not to debate... I mean, maybe I'm biased because I personally like to debate as long as it stays respectful! But everyone would have to be on the same page for that, acknowledging the whole opinions-are-opinions thing and stuff.

I'll probably contribute later when it's not almost 1:30 AM... I could think of a lot of things that grind my gears about ships, both from the fandom's end and the source material those ships might come from.

Well, what made my eyebrow raise wasn't so much the word "misconceptions" as it was that the opening post sounded sort of wishy-washy about fact vs. opinion with regard to ships, and then just said not to debate... I mean, maybe I'm biased because I personally like to debate as long as it stays respectful! But everyone would have to be on the same page for that, acknowledging the whole opinions-are-opinions thing and stuff.

I think I need to clarify this: I'm more than okay with debates as well, but if it's a debate regarding "why X ship is better than Y ship" then it wouldn't be allowed, because they usually never end well (and it's off-topic). Debating about a certain misconception or clarification raised in this thread is perfectly fine however.

However, she's never once (at least, not as far as I know) referred her senior, Cilan, as a kid.

She did once call Dento a kid, but that was only because he...well, because he was acting like one (trains, remember? xD).

But yes, other than that I agree with the "Wishfulshipping is pedophilia = BS" mentality.

Speaking of pedophilia, here's another misconception I've seen floating around the Interwebs, but for Ferriswheelshipping instead:

Misconception: FWS is pedophilia because N is ~20 and Touko is 10

Clarification: Just as Dentogirl said for Wishful, there is no proof. Added to that, it was once explained that the protags in BW are older than past ones, making them approximately 14 years of age (also going by the manga's canon ages as well). N has been described as a teen before (unless I'm mistaken), which puts him to be around 17/18 based on his art/height (again, an approximation). ~4 years is not a big deal, especially in Japan.

Last edited:

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
I think I need to clarify this: I'm more than okay with debates as well, but if it's a debate regarding "why X ship is better than Y ship" then it wouldn't be allowed, because they usually never end well (and it's off-topic). Debating about a certain misconception or clarification raised in this thread is perfectly fine however.

She did once call Dento a kid, but that was only because he...well, because he was acting like one (trains, remember? xD).

But yes, other than that I agree with the "Wishfulshipping is pedophilia = BS" mentality.

Speaking of pedophilia, here's another misconception I've seen floating around the Interwebs, but for Ferriswheelshipping instead:

Misconception: FWS is pedophilia because N is ~20 and Touko is 10

Clarification: Just as Dentogirl said for Wishful, there is no proof. Added to that, it was once explained by officials that the protags in BW are older than past ones, making them approximately 14 years of age (also going by the manga's canon ages as well). N has been described as a teen before (unless I'm mistaken), which puts him to be around 17/18 based on his art/height (again, an approximation). ~4 years is not a big deal, especially in Japan.

Actually,if I remember correctly they said Touko and Touya were older.Still,even though.Like I said before...meh,age doesn't matter much,it is still fantasy world.If people keep poining out pedophilia in shippings,well,since the shipping list is enormous,there would probably be 100000 cases of pedophilia.That's probably the reason I don't see "pedophilia" on them,really.

To be honest, the PCs for Pokemon B/W don't even look 10. The ones from the games before, they DID look like they were around 10 but these guys, they look 12,13 or 14 to me. (probably to stray away from the "everyone starts their Pokemon journey at 10" cliche). As for N, he looks 15/16 to me but as y'all said, they have no official ages. Where as the other protagonists did. Neater does N so you can't say pedophilia.

I HAVE heard from some people that they think FWshipping is bestiality due to N being born from Pokemon. Anyone want to clarify that?

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
Speaking for the Missconceptions for shipping than I could say Chessshipping. I mean,most people think that they are brother/sister just because they look almost the same. Even though they are two different people with no blood relations.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Speaking for the Missconceptions for shipping than I could say Chessshipping. I mean,most people think that they are brother/sister just because they look almost the same. Even though they are two different people with no blood relations.

While I personally do not think Touya/Touko are related or are meant to be, the people saying that they are siblings have a point with "Touya and Touko" being Japanese twin names.

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
While I personally do not think Touya/Touko are related or are meant to be, the people saying that they are siblings have a point with "Touya and Touko" being Japanese twin names.

Adding to the fact that the english name kept the tradition,naming them Hilbert and Hilda.Honestly I couldn't stop thinking they were some german farmers or something like that XDDDD

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic

Or the fact the ir english name Hilbert/Hilda are close to each other too. .I don't think that they are brother and sister but it sometimes bothers me sometimes to think that some find them related. But it is an opinion nothing more.

I am Lu

I think (in the games, at least) Hilbert and Hilda are supposed to be the same person, just different genders. People are, of course, free to see them as separate people and ship them together since it's all just headcanon.

Status
Not open for further replies.