• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shipping Names Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelc

Belated, but thanks Toran! :) That's a neat name for Paul/Misty now that I understand it.

Ok, I have another one - why is Thorton/Caitlin CreepUpShipping? Lol. The name makes me laugh, but I never saw Thorton as a creeper or anything, or I'm just misinterpreting it. What's the story with this one?

Vycksta

shadow_shipper said:
Here's a suggestion I could make;

Wouldn't it be easier if, in the first post, there was a list of ship names that were already explained ?
It would avoid us recurring questions like IkariShipping, Luck(y)Shipping, etc...
WAY ahead of you; I have been working on it since about page three but keep procrastinating like I do... and cause i'm stubborn I refuse to accept help. ;}

... and there's a ship. Looker x Soul, YouNeedLoveshipping. If the name comes from something obvious then it's not jumping up and slapping me in the face.

Journeyman

…… …… …… ▼
I would like to know why Red & Cynthia is called StripeShipping. I'm just curious cause it seemed to be a weird name choice (not that other pairings are any better).

Vulpixel

Exhallen is a Luxray in my long dead fanfiction who Volkner took in one oh-so stormy night. Plus it was either Exhalennshipping or OneManandHisLionshipping, which IMS was considering.
Geez, how many ship names have something to do with fanfics? On second thought, don't answer that. The answer might be enough to make me stop shipping. If such a thing is even possible...

Anyway... I'm wondering how AoShipping (Riley X Cheryl) got its name. And how you came up with the name Exhallen... and if you have this fanfic published anywere...

Toran Frostbite

Highrise Above All
Anyway... I'm wondering how AoShipping (Riley X Cheryl) got its name. And how you came up with the name Exhallen... and if you have this fanfic published anywere...
Ao is roughly the japanese word used for both 'green' and 'blue'. Cheryl's color scheme is green, Riley's blue. Blam.

Vycksta

Vulpixel said:
Geez, how many ship names have something to do with fanfics? On second thought, don't answer that. The answer might be enough to make me stop shipping. If such a thing is even possible...
Tough, I am cause sarcasm makes me lawl... and the answer is A LOT. Plenty are from RPs too; Igneou, Bornite, BoBeep, Shattered, Lazarus, Caerleon, Bryckel, FireballSaysWhat, SteelFedora... I can easily give you a list of 100.

And if you so badly want the fanfiction I can publish it. But I found it a pile of crap so I never finished it.

Last edited:

alteredegoX

Sophi so silleh~
why is CrystalXPlatina called BuruShipping? I really struggle to think why it would be called that.

shadow_shipper

...indeed...
Buru means Blue in japanese, if I'm not mistaken.

With Crystal and Platinum having blue-ish hues, I believe it's what connects them~

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
I'm interested in knowing why LucasxCynthia is JocastaShipping,why GreenxBlue is Oldrivalshipping and why JasminexDawn is Lolishipping?

Sure,Dawn's a loli,but what does that have to do with Jasmine..

Vycksta

Jocastashipping was already explained in a previous post... *does the old quoting shindig*

Vycksta said:
*racks mythology brain* The basic gist of the tale surrounding Jocasta and Oedipus (( Sp? )) is how people grow up based on their upbringing. In mythology Oedipus marries Jocasta as a result of what fate bestowed upon him. In Pokemon? Both Lucas and Dawn are kinda influenced by Cynthia in small matters over the course of their Sinnoh journey and in a way it is thanks to her that they eventually become the champion. Of course it's better for Lucas x Cynthia to have that name rather than Dawn x Cynthia cause going back to mythology it is the son who marries his Mother. Back to Pokemon you can say that Cynthia was Dawn and Lucas' "Mother" in their Pokemon journey. Their mentor of sorts.

That's what I get in my mind with Jocastashipping anyway. My mythology is a little rusty so there may be a couple of things left out. Although I hope not cause that makes sense to me lawlz!

TL;DR the name comes from the legend of Jocasta.

As for Lolishipping? Blame a fanartist who I followed. When Dawn first come out there was a lot of fanart by said artist involving Dawn and Jasmine in tons of lolita style outfits. Not only that but I followed the style of Lolitashipping; Prof. Oak is no way a loli, the namer clearly saw Misty as BEING his loli though. Same with Lolishipping; Jasmine's not a loli (( But a lot of people like to draw her as such or make her act like one )) but that's how she sees Dawn.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!

Well, I delayed naming Jirarudan/Latias for a few YEARS because the only name I could think of was RedWingshipping and the only fanfic about the pairing (by me) was called Red Winged Heart. But finally I caved...and immediately a hockey-loving friend threatened me because there's a team called the Red Wings. Paaaaah, I can't win.

Say, if you're making a list, should we just say why we named ships what we did even if no one's asked about them?

Ok, here's one--Messiahshipping for Cyrus and Brandon. Cyrus sure, but Brandon doesn't have that sort of complex. So what gives?

shadow_shipper

...indeed...
Ok, here's one--Messiahshipping for Cyrus and Brandon. Cyrus sure, but Brandon doesn't have that sort of complex. So what gives?

Obviously, Cyrus' part in the name is from the Messiah Complex. Got that right.

But in my opinion, Brandon's assimilation to messiah refers to the meaning "King" of the word. As the Messiah is the awaited King of the Jews, Brandon is the Pyramid King --> King / King

Correct me if I'm wrong plz !

Tokeynono

akasaka sad
I've always wondered about Pandorashipping for SaturnxHikari/Dawn. I know the mythology, but can't relate it to the two. It might possibly be going over my head, though.

Vulpixel

^That's the same way with me. Anyway, I've got two more...

IronWillShipping (Riley X Dawn)- I get the iron part (you meet him on Iron Island, and it might have something to do with Lucario being a steel-type), but I don't get the will part completly. I know how it relates to Riley (he turned down the offer to be the Oreburgh City Gym Leader), but how does it tie to Dawn? And if I got anything wrong, please correct me.

HushShipping (Falkner X Aaron)- Not a clue...

Also, I've got a pretty good idea of PikaShipping and AdamantiteShipping (sp? It's Byron X Steven), but I'm not sure it's OK to post explanations for ones nobody asked about...

Toran Frostbite

Highrise Above All
^That's the same way with me. Anyway, I've got two more...

IronWillShipping (Riley X Dawn)- I get the iron part (you meet him on Iron Island, and it might have something to do with Lucario being a steel-type), but I don't get the will part completly. I know how it relates to Riley (he turned down the offer to be the Oreburgh City Gym Leader), but how does it tie to Dawn? And if I got anything wrong, please correct me.

HushShipping (Falkner X Aaron)- Not a clue...

Also, I've got a pretty good idea of PikaShipping and AdamantiteShipping (sp? It's Byron X Steven), but I'm not sure it's OK to post explanations for ones nobody asked about...

Adamantine (Byron/Steven) is named because it's considered the fictionally strongest modern metal (as compared to the fictionally strongest not-modern metal, Mythril). Byron, steel types, metal. Steven, champion, strongest-of-all. Close to what you were thinking? =)

Hush is....erm...aesthetics. (Sometimes, there isn't an answer, and really is aesthetics; I made Hush, so I do know.)

taitofan

Stalker!
I've always wondered about Pandorashipping for SaturnxHikari/Dawn. I know the mythology, but can't relate it to the two. It might possibly be going over my head, though.
I named that one, so I can answer this. Well, assuming I remember my reasoning...

I believe my thought process was that Pandora's curiosty led her to open the box, and though many terrible things came out, so did one good thing--hope. So, put this with the ship. Saturn and Hikari get together because there's something about each other they can't ignore. A curiosity if you will. Now, the second-in-command in Ginga Dan + girl who's trying to stop them would certainly lead to some ugly consequences, but if they could get through them, they'd be left with something beautiful--love.

...Yeah, that sounds really sappy, but oh well. I also liked the way it sounded, so any reasoning I could squeeze out of it was likely good enough to submit it.

Vulpixel

Adamantine (Byron/Steven) is named because it's considered the fictionally strongest modern metal (as compared to the fictionally strongest not-modern metal, Mythril). Byron, steel types, metal. Steven, champion, strongest-of-all. Close to what you were thinking? =)[/OUOTE] Extremely, but I thought some of it has to with how three of Steven's five Pokemon are steel types. Anyway, I've got another question:

WaterNarcShipping- I get the water part completly (Wallace trains water types, Milotic is a water type), but narc... what does that mean?

Also...
Why is Luckyshipping called it? Because Red was lucky to meet Blue/Green? o_O
Bulbapedia said:
It is unknown exactly where the name "LuckyShipping" comes from, but the common story is the idea that Red gets "lucky" with Blue, and Silver shoots him in response to his actions. Though it should be noted that this happens no where in the manga. Another theory is simply that Red and Blue are lucky to have each other, or lucky to have met. It can
also be presumed that since Blue makes the most physical contact with Red and is more flirtatious towards him than anyone else shown in the manga, that Red is considered lucky in that sense. However, the exact origin of the ship's name is unclear.

Hope you're happy, cause that's all I got.

EDIT: I was going to name Aaron & Phoebe ClosetShipping (very long story that I don't feel like explaining right now), but then I found out it was called HitodamaShipping. According to certain sources, hitodama means "disembodied soul" and/or "supernatural fiery ball" in Japanese. I get how the first one relates to Phoebe (ghost type trainer), but I really don't get how either one relates to Aaron. Unless this was a pre-release thing...

Last edited:

Toran Frostbite

Highrise Above All
Extremely, but I thought some of it has to with how three of Steven's five Pokemon are steel types. Anyway, I've got another question:

WaterNarcShipping- I get the water part completly (Wallace trains water types, Milotic is a water type), but narc... what does that mean?
That too.

Narc is short for Narcissistic. That's why you also have it called WaterNarcis too.

EDIT: I was going to name Aaron & Phoebe ClosetShipping (very long story that I don't feel like explaining right now), but then I found out it was called HitodamaShipping. According to certain sources, hitodama means "disembodied soul" and/or "supernatural fiery ball" in Japanese. I get how the first one relates to Phoebe (ghost type trainer), but I really don't get how either one relates to Aaron. Unless this was a pre-release thing...

Hitodama are akin to the will o' wisp phenomenon, which resembles the luminescence of fireflies. At least, I'm pretty sure that was my reasoning. It was post-release though.

id5029

ILLUSTRATOR
I have more questions...

CrepuscularShipping (Wes x Paul)
CopacabanaShipping (Red x Sakura)
69Shipping (Rui x May)

Does anyone know the origins of these? (Especially the middle one. What does it have to do with Copacabana?)

The first one's origins can be blamed on me......eheheh.
Crepusculo is a Spanish word meaning Twilight [no connection to the book, only the LOZ game].
Crepuscular is an adjective form of the word that is also an English word.
Crepuscular Rays are those rays of sunlight you see streaming through the clouds.

------JODI;149;

ArcanineOod

Peace, perfect peace
Last night I was writing some BlushShipping when for some insane reason I decided to write some Scott x Lucy. Today I decided to look up the shipping name and found that it was called YuwakuShipping. Does anyone know why it's called this? =3

xX

Status
Not open for further replies.