• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Short stories that relate to another story? heLP

LadyLady

Hey guys!

I'm currently writing my trainer fic 'Jays Journey Through The Henzo Region' and I was just wondering that if I was to do a couple of one shots on each of te gym leaders in my region, would this go down well? haha.

Like, because there's not really anywhere in my fic that I can properly express the character gym leaders, would it be wise to have a one shot about a gym leader every time we meet one so the reader can have a better insight about them and how they are and so on...

also if I was to do this would I place the one shot in the journey fic or have it stand on its own? Because I don't really want it to distract away from the story but it might seem out of place on its own because the gym leaders are all original aspects of Jays Journey Through The Henzo Region.

many thanx guys xoxo

Dragonfree

Just me
If the short story is interesting as a freestanding story in its own right and is at least understandable independently, you could post it separately, but if it's just a thing to show readers the personality of the gym leaders before they appear in your story proper (so it doesn't really have an independent plot or point), it probably can't stand on its own and should be posted as an extra within your current thread.

Your readers probably don't need to have an insight into your gym leaders, though, if they're not major characters, so don't feel obligated to write these extras on the basis that you have to show their personalities. Write them if you really want to write them or think they would add something substantial to your story.

The Daylight Assassin

Come at me Bro
See, I love reading these little side stories because they tie in to how and why said character reacts in said fic. Im wondering not if it will go down well, but how many people will be flooding your vm and pm boxes. Lol. I think you should do it. You have an instant reader in me.

LadyLady

Thank you guys! The stories of the gym leaders would have their own plot and concepts, so I suppose they could stand on their own, especially if I introduced them as completely new characters so that people who haven't read my fic can still engage in the one/two shot. Although I'm debating if ill have time since I just posted a new fic I'm working on. I probably with though, just not yet thank you guys for answering me.

luv u guys xoxo

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
It could work. You've got to think about two things:

1) Are these developed stories (even as one-shots, which could work REALLY well; a collection of one-shots) that you have a strong sense of desire to write? Do you care so much for the characters and their lives that you want to delve more into their selves?

2) Are your readers clamoring for these stories? Have you created such vibrant, full characters that you know people want to see more in a behind-the-scenes kind of way?

If the answer to both of those is yes, then... go for it. You should primarily write for YOU, but writing because your audience demands it is good, too.

LadyLady

It could work. You've got to think about two things:

1) Are these developed stories (even as one-shots, which could work REALLY well; a collection of one-shots) that you have a strong sense of desire to write? Do you care so much for the characters and their lives that you want to delve more into their selves?

2) Are your readers clamoring for these stories? Have you created such vibrant, full characters that you know people want to see more in a behind-the-scenes kind of way?

If the answer to both of those is yes, then... go for it. You should primarily write for YOU, but writing because your audience demands it is good, too.

Thanks alot sid87 i think i will, only when i have some more time however, thank you xoxo