• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should all of Ash's battles in any given league be shown?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
With the Kalos League splitting the fandom in two, one of the biggest points of contention, besides the outcome, is the idea of whether all of Ash's battles be shown.

The argument bottles down to whether "show, don't tell" is violated in the omission of the early rounds are not.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
They should but I don't think it'll change anything with how the leagues will play out

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
It'd be nice to see more rival battles where they battle COTDS to show how they dominate or have trouble, I guess. Ash's battles are usually really enjoyable during Leagues, but that one with that Cloyster and Arcanine was kind of....eh

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Depending on the situation - how many Ash's rival there are, how much time left the current series has, etc - yeah, they should all be showed. They can be used to show the individual growth of the current party members or even be used as an opportunity to show the reserves off.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
They should be fully shown or at least shown instead of having filler like Axew getting lost or redundant cutaways.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Well since the anime is Satoshi's story, I do feel like all of his matches should be shown in full. But I don't think it's realistic to see every single match these days given pacing issues.

Genaller

Silver Soul
As others have already said they definitely should but they won’t. With the Kalos League specifically they should have at least A) shown A-G’s full sweep of Titus which would have only taken a minute extra since A-G most likely OHKed both of his other Pokémon as well, and B) had an episode between XYZ 32 and 33 that perhaps gave us a montage of the characters (or at least Ash) advancing through the TOP 32 and 16 and more importantly gave us a full Ash vs Astrid 3 vs 3. Just for the record Kalos isn’t the only league that’s done the skipping game (though it did set a new extreme); even the widely acclaimed Sinnoh League skipped around a 1/3rd of Ash vs Nando for... TRio stuff and also only showed a 5 second fillip of Snorlax destroying a Grumpig for Ash’s 2nd round eventhough we know it was a 3 vs 3.

Honestly I’m pretty certain that due to being new and a Alola having a relatively small population, the Alola league will have the fewest number of contestants yet (my bet is 32); however, I’m still confident that they’ll either skip or cut short at least 1 of Ash’s battles.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
maybe not all, but at least most (only skipping 1 battle and a bit more at most), anyways, let's see how many have been skipped:
Indigo skipped around two thirds of 2 battles, so around 1 battle and a third
(admittedly I'm not sure about johto/hoenn)
Sinnoh skipped 1 and a third battles (counting the snorlax vs grumpig one as skipped)
Unova skipped 2 battles (counting the scraggy vs darumaka one as skipped)
Kalos skipped 3 and 2/3 battles (counting the hawlucha vs mega absol as skipped)
unova and kalos suffered from focusing a bit too much on other things (the multiple rivals and the pointless axew episodes in BW's case and again, rivals' battles and the furfrou trainer in XYZ), + the low amount of episodes in the unova league

Epicocity

Honestly...no.

I've made my own case countless times for this, but the higher that Ash rises in the ranks, the less lower-end battles we should see. If we see all of them, they're inevitably going to focus on the battle enough to make it a struggle for Ash because otherwise there's no tension. If there is tension there, it becomes a question of just how he could contend in the final round and win, or at least it's less believable.

Sometimes telling a story means cutting the fat and getting the point across.

While both Kalos and Unova cut battles, Unova did it by focusing on the pointless; Kalos did it by laser-focusing its vision instead of wasting time on battles that would've been utterly pointless for the narrative and avoiding us watching the implied curbstomp after curbstomp against the lower level opponents.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Some fights should be more extended for sure. Ash's Hawlucha win against Astrid's Mega Absol was BS.
Absol's sole purpose in life within the anime is to job to losers and posers

Not to mention it's one of the weaker Mega Evolutions and adds nothing besides a pair of fluffy pointless wings

Also, Ash's Pikachu took out a Mega Lucario at one point, which is even more absurd

Hanto

Water Addiction
They should show battle with Astrid properly, she was used as much more powerful character than Ash in 1st movie, so that League battle would indicate growth of both Ash and his pokemon. Also that battle would give a needed screentime and victories to party members like Hawlucha, Talonflame and especially Noivern, which all suffers the fall guy syndrome to glorify Pikachu and Greninja.
Snorlax battle in Sinnoh could show us development of reserves like Bayleef and Totodile. Ash returned them before battle with Nando and should use to promote both HGSS and give them some spotlight.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
It depends on the production schedule. I don't want the most important fights being hindered by a wonky production schedule. The Flare Gang arc was hindered because it was placed between the Kalos League and the beginning of Sun & Moon, both of which took up a huge amount of time from the production schedule because every good animator on hand was busy working on those episodes. I'd hate to see something similar happen to a League.

I also don't think there's much to get out of showing every single one of Satoshi's fights if there's nothing for them to add to his arc.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I defiantly think that the League Arcs should be longer, but I don't think it's necessary to show ALL of Ash's battles. A good handful of full length battles is good for me.

I also want to see more battles from Side characters, since I don't want it to be all about Ash all of the time. For the Alola League, they can feature full battles from people like Gladion, Hau and Kiawe (these 3 are just people who I think will be in the Alola League) and I'll be fine. There should be a lot of well-animated, well-choreographed battles because for most series of the anime the League is the Grand Finale of the series and should have a lot of effort put into it, since it's what the whole series has been building up to (Ash collecting Badges/Completing Trials along with all of hints Kukui has been dropping).

I wanted to have a longer Kalos League, but the true Finale of the XYZ Anime was the Team Flare Arc. Was it worth shortening in the League? No, but it was still good. I understand why it happened the way it did but I would have taken a longer League and shortening the Team Flare Arc any day. But the Fights we did see in the League were really good for the most part (Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain mostly).

I just hope the Alola League won't be ruined by Z-Moves lol (and Ash winning the League finally would be nice, but with the bait and switch we had in XYZ I don't have that much hope for Ash).

D

Deleted member 384931

I defiantly think that the League Arcs should be longer, but I don't think it's necessary to show ALL of Ash's battles. A good handful of full length battles is good for me.

I also want to see more battles from Side characters, since I don't want it to be all about Ash all of the time. For the Alola League, they can feature full battles from people like Gladion, Hau and Kiawe (these 3 are just people who I think will be in the Alola League) and I'll be fine. There should be a lot of well-animated, well-choreographed battles because for most series of the anime the League is the Grand Finale of the series and should have a lot of effort put into it, since it's what the whole series has been building up to (Ash collecting Badges/Completing Trials along with all of hints Kukui has been dropping).

I wanted to have a longer Kalos League, but the true Finale of the XYZ Anime was the Team Flare Arc. Was it worth shortening in the League? No, but it was still good. I understand why it happened the way it did but I would have taken a longer League and shortening the Team Flare Arc any day. But the Fights we did see in the League were really good for the most part (Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain mostly).

I just hope the Alola League won't be ruined by Z-Moves lol (and Ash winning the League finally would be nice, but with the bait and switch we had in XYZ I don't have that much hope for Ash).
If he would win now, many people would go insane

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
If he would win now, many people would go insane

If Ash won the League now, then it would spread further than just the fandom. I think that Non-Fans will be talking about and it will drive more attention to the anime.

Also I so want him to lol. After the bait and switch that XYZ pulled on us, I was salty for days. Ash deserves to win after how long he's been a trainer lol.

Epicocity

If Ash won the League now, then it would spread further than just the fandom. I think that Non-Fans will be talking about and it will drive more attention to the anime.

Also I so want him to lol. After the bait and switch that XYZ pulled on us, I was salty for days. Ash deserves to win after how long he's been a trainer lol.
I feel like this is one of the series where he doesn't really deserve the win. We hardly see him training, he only has a team of 4 90 episodes in and he barely battles at all. To win a big League would be...insulting at best, I fear.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I feel like this is one of the series where he doesn't really deserve the win. We hardly see him training, he only has a team of 4 90 episodes in and he barely battles at all. To win a big League would be...insulting at best, I fear.

Yeah you're right when I think about it. I always complain how Ash needs to train/battle more and needs more Mons but I still want him to win the League anyway :p