• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should ALL Pokemon have Genders?

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
The title says it all! If Pokemon are supposed to be living, breathing creatures (like the anime suggests) then why are some of them considered GENDERLESS? Do you think Game Freak should change that and make them ALL have at least one gender? (Male or Female) Discuss...

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
I agree that all the legendaries should have natures, except for the Regis. Pokemon like Voltorb, Ditto, and Kling should stay the way they are though. I can't imagine one as a "girl" or "boy" honestly. XD

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Example: latios and latias, they are obviously supposed to have gender.

And they do, so...?

Not all living creatures in the real world have as rigidly defined genders as humans, and even if they did, it doesn't mean creatures in the Pokemon world are the same way.

KingWiggins

Male Gardevoir's make me have nightmares... also female Machoke's..Ha.

Phoopes

There it is.
No, I don't think so. Some Pokemon are obviously based off non-living things, like the Magnezone line. It really just doesn't make sense to me why you'd have a floating hunk of electricaly charged metal have a gender, even if it does have thoughts and feelings like the anime makes it seem like all Pokemon do. And while there are rare cases of living things not having a gender, lots of living things in the real world don't have an assigned gender. While that's not the exact same thing, I think it's close enough for this argument. For example, the most dominate male in a school of clownfish changes its gender to female when the head female dies. So I really don't think Gamefreak needs to assign a gender to certain Pokemon if they don't want to.

ZeroKyurem

Final Smash User
Considering the fact that shiny Celebi in PMD:Explorers of Sky is offically confirmed to be a female...

And that Latios and Latias are male and female, respectfully...

Yeah, there's no turning back on the "Legendary pokemon have no genders!" idea.

PsiOmega

An old soul
Anatomically, all Pokemon should have a gender, excluding Pokemon like Magnemite, Metagross, Voltirb, Klink, etc. So genderless legendaries, theoretically, should have genders.

Kirchu

Fidel Gastro
Male Jynxs....OH GOD

zozo

SLIMED!
To be honest, I think you could make a pretty good case (not an overwhelmingly complete case, of course) that not all of the currently gendered pokemon should really have genders. Two examples that come to my mind are Shroomish/Breloom and Foongus/Amoonguss. Both are based on fungi, and many fungi reproduce by asexual means. In other words, they don't need to fertilize each other, they just make new clones of themselves. There doesn't seem to be any need for these two mushroom-creatures to have both males and females.

But really, you could make the same argument for pretty well any plant-based pokemon. There are a few plants out there that have definite male and female individuals, but the majority of them seem to have both male and female parts on the same plant, making them both male and female. Besides that, pretty much any plant that can put down roots has the potential to reproduce by having new individuals splitting off from the "parent" plant. Either way, again, there's no reason for pokemon based on these plants to be either male or female. To be most accurate, they should either be both male and female, or be genderless but able to breed with other genderless plants in addition to ditto.

So, no. I don't think that all pokemon out there really need genders. Being alive, able to breed, and able to reproduce doesn't automatically indicate that you have a specific gender.

Phoopes

There it is.
if the legendaries have genders they will be many legendaries, ya know

Just because something has a gender doesn't mean that it's able to breed. Latios, Latias, Heatran, Tornadus, and Thundurrus, come to mind off the top of my head.

diamondpearl876

if the legendaries have genders they will be many legendaries, ya know

This has already been confirmed in the anime, so it doesn't matter.

Legendaries should have genders. It doesn't make sense for them to not have genders.

I agree that man-made pokemon like Porygon and Magnemite shouldn't have genders. Also, I think some genders should be modified. (For example, why can there only be male Braviary but Gardevoir can be both male and female? What?)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Why is Keldeo not male? It's the Colt Pokemon. And for those of you who have no knowledge of equine biology, colt = young MALE horse.