• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Should ALL Pokemon have Genders?

*IZ*

I personally would have done the following:

Legendary Birds:
Articuno - Female only

I stopped reading right there. I can't imagine Articuno Female Only after that one epic fight it had with Charizard back in the anime days.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

Legendary Birds:
Articuno - Female only
Zapdos - 50/50
Moltres - Male only

Legendary Beasts:
Suicune - Female only
Raikou - 50/50
Entei - Male only

Legendary Golems:
Regirock - 50/50
Regice - Female only
Registeel - Male only

Also, I wouldn't have made all starters 87.5% male/12.5% female. Here is how I would have done it:

Gen I:
Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur - Female only
Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard - Male only
Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise - 50/50

Gen II:
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium - Female only
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion - 50/50
Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr - Male only

Gen III:
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile - Male only
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken - Female only
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert - 50/50

Gen IV:
Turtwig/Grotle/Piplup - Female only
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape - Male only
Piplup/Primplup/Empoleon - 50/50

Gen V:
Snivy/Servine/Serperior - 50/50
Tepig/Pignite/Emboar - Male only
Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott - Female only
The starters having just one gender would disrupt the balance of getting male and female starters. Besides, there are female pigs (sows) and male otters.

I say no. Then you would be able to breed legendaries. I'm fine with Manaphy though.
You can't breed Latios, Latias, the kami trio, or Heatran.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
How do you propose that, logically, an entity of pure rock, ice or metal would have a gender?

You forgot the word "some."

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
turtwig/grotle/piplup - female only

How the slag are they female. They look more like male then female to me!

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Genesect: It's an ancient bug Pokemon resurrected by Team Plasma. It's gotta have some semblance of gender left in it. (You see, the gender remain is a valid point but the way it is structured is similarly tied to Metal Gear Rex if you've played any Metal Gear Solid Games (Hello! Look at the cannon!. You have one? What title? I wanna try it if I can)
Machamp: They don't do 80%, they do 87.5%. And they only do that for starters and gift Pokemon to make it more difficult to breed them. (Oh, alright then. Guess that helps. You dont see a lot of female boxers you know that. Unless its Manny Pacman Pacquiao)
Hariyama: It already is. (Its whats quite confusing but I don't know if there are female sumo wrestlers. The only thing that hariyama could be female is on the ... fat size, not really on the sumo skills.)
Conkeldurr: See Machamp. (see the bold on machamp too. same reason but I guess is that you don't see a lot of big muscled women on construction sites. I guess there are few or none. seein it in real life perspective a bit)
Skorupi and Drapion: nothing about them that suggest they should be anything other than 50/50. (Guess I've paid too much attention on its beard and PMD)

Gardevoir: There's not much they can do about the situation ATM, but when they can, they should simplify things with the Gardevoir line. This'll probably never happen, but I think the way the Ralts line should work is that when Ralts reaches Lv. 20, it has a split evo depending on gender (because Kirlia looks girly as well). Then, when the new evo reaches Lv. 30 it evolves into Gallade. Snorunt should work similarly, with Snorunt evolving into either Glalie or Froslass at Lv. 42 based on gender. Again, probably never going to happen, but it's the most elegant and realistic way to handle gender specific evolutionary lines.
(I'm glad you agreed on something).

Lopunny: Aside from the gender ratio, yes. And Lopunny should work the same way as Gardevoir.

Cinccino: No. Having a scarf doesn't make Cincinno effiminate. (Is it me or do I just lack understanding on scarf fashion? Or fashion as a whole? I know both human genders wear scarves but Minccino and Cinccino just looked too girly for me. I was thinking at that time that the guys could make themselves a bit more masuline on its ... furred looks of clothes. Cause I often say that male cinccinos are girly clothed. Make me feel their flattery and embarassment. Poor male Cinccino)

Jynx: Smoochum isn't remotely male. (Aside for being a horror of fashion)

Gothitelle family: Gothita's not really male either. (Guess the males could use a completely male-ish gothic look and evolution like what GF did with Frillish/unfezzant of both genders. Completely different looks)

Mienshao: Mienshao isn't gender specific either. (Very much the most Female looking fighting type for the design, or I think the male mienfoo/shao could use a bit of a different look or specific body difference yet holds the same stats. Think of the Pikachu tail. The guy is straight tail while female is curvy tail. Hope you catch the drift)

Also, can someone explain why Wormadam and Mothim are 100% female and male respectively? They don't look gender specific either.

see the ones in bold. those are my replies.

nightfrost

I really think Meloetta should be female, not just an "it."

Sceptile40

The One...
Haha female Mr. Mime. They should actually make a Pokemon called "Mrs. Mime."

I think not, as there are some Pokemon patterned after inanimate objects, like robots and such. Those AI (in our world) have no genders but they can assume the look of having a gender. So I am guessing Pokemon like Porygon, Metagross, the Klink family. All are possibly artificially made, so no gender.

I don't think every pokémon should be able to have genders. I do ,however, think legends should have genders. They should just be in the No Eggs group. (And be unable to breed with Ditto)

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Haha female Mr. Mime. They should actually make a Pokemon called "Mrs. Mime."

[img139]http://error1355.com/img/gif/facedesk.gif[/img139]

For the millionth time, Mr. Mime is NOT implied to be male! Its Japanese name is Barried, which has no gender reference at all. But since genders did not exist in Gen 1, the people coming up with English names didn't think it would be a problem to name a Pokemon "Mister." They didn't know they were going to do genders later on. There is nothing inherently male about Mr. Mime. Introducing a Mrs. Mime would make no sense at all. It would confuse the hell out of Japanese players; as if they were to suddenly make a "Mrs. Persian."

I swear, one day I'm gonna put this in my sig in big bold letters.

Flare♥

Fire Team User
I think all pokemon should have genders including some legendaries. Though some pokemon don't need genders, like Metagross and such. So it goes either way I guess.

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

I think all pokemon should have genders including some legendaries. Though some pokemon don't need genders, like Metagross and such. So it goes either way I guess.

Heatran has a random gender, Lati@s have specified genders, and the Kami Trio are all male. So basically, based off of that 2nd-to last sentence, you're just saying what the Pokemon basically already are.

But yeah.
Keep it how it is.
I couldn't imagine seeing a Bronzor with a specified nether region.

DMerle

Guess who's back
No matter how many people think it's stupid that some don't have genders i imagine even more will think it's stupider if GAME FREAK suddenly decides to give them genders after all this time.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
You dont see a lot of female boxers you know that

Its whats quite confusing but I don't know if there are female sumo wrestlers. The only thing that hariyama could be female is on the ... fat size, not really on the sumo skills.

same reason but I guess is that you don't see a lot of big muscled women on construction sites. I guess there are few or none.

Maybe not, but they do exist (not as sure about the sumo wrestlers, but there probably are somewhere), so why not keep them there? 75/25 is a pretty fair ratio for the more masculine fighters.

Guess I've paid too much attention on its beard and PMD

Beards aren't necessarily a male feature either, but regardless, Drapion doesn't really have one.

Is it me or do I just lack understanding on scarf fashion? Or fashion as a whole? I know both human genders wear scarves but Minccino and Cinccino just looked too girly for me. I was thinking at that time that the guys could make themselves a bit more masuline on its ... furred looks of clothes. Cause I often say that male cinccinos are girly clothed. Make me feel their flattery and embarassment. Poor male Cinccino

At worst, scarves are metrosexual to males. But even that's not too big a deal. There's nothing wrong with a male scarf.

Very much the most Female looking fighting type for the design, or I think the male mienfoo/shao could use a bit of a different look or specific body difference yet holds the same stats. Think of the Pikachu tail. The guy is straight tail while female is curvy tail. Hope you catch the drift

I fail to see what makes Mienshao feminine. If anything, it'd be male because of the mustache, but again, that's not something exclusive to males.

Tuaros only being male is weird, though.

IRL bulls are male cows. That's why Tauros and Miltank are often paired together. Which reminds me, they totally need a baby of Tauros/Miltank.

Heatran has a random gender, Lati@s have specified genders, and the Kami Trio are all male. So basically, based off of that 2nd-to last sentence, you're just saying what the Pokemon basically already are.

Also Cresselia is only female.

No matter how many people think it's stupid that some don't have genders i imagine even more will think it's stupider if GAME FREAK suddenly decides to give them genders after all this time.

I think most people would be like "Why the hell didn't you do this sooner?".

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I stopped reading right there. I can't imagine Articuno Female Only after that one epic fight it had with Charizard back in the anime days.

There's something sexist here....

*snip*

These make no sense....
Why do they have to be male-only and female-only? They could all be 50/50 like Heatran.

Ulicies

Mild Monk

Legendary Birds:
Articuno - Female only
Zapdos - 50/50
Moltres - Male only

Legendary Beasts:
Suicune - Female only
Raikou - 50/50
Entei - Male only

Legendary Golems:
Regirock - 50/50
Regice - Female only
Registeel - Male only

Also, I wouldn't have made all starters 87.5% male/12.5% female. Here is how I would have done it:

Gen I:
Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur - Female only
Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard - Male only
Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise - 50/50

Gen II:
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium - Female only
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion - 50/50
Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr - Male only

Gen III:
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile - Male only
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken - Female only
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert - 50/50

Gen IV:
Turtwig/Grotle/Piplup - Female only
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape - Male only
Piplup/Primplup/Empoleon - 50/50

Gen V:
Snivy/Servine/Serperior - 50/50
Tepig/Pignite/Emboar - Male only
Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott - Female only
Thank God you're not the one making the decisions then. I totally disagree.

Labeling something with a gender just stereotypes it. I'm personally glad that a male Gardevoir exists. It's only disturbing if you think that that's the definition of a female, which is also stereotypical. At this point, though, they've already made the male-only version of Gardevoir, so I think based on that addition it should be female-only, but not because Gardevoir stereotypically looks female-ish.

I don't think Suicune or Articuno should be female just by their appearance. I personally relate to those two out of the Beasts/Birds, and if they were labeled as only female, then stereotypically it would call into question as to why I relate to them! I don't want to label any of the Pokemon based on outer characteristics. Japan already overly stereotypes gay people in their videogames, and they don't need to stereotype genders also.

I don't think every Pokemon should have genders, but I also think that if a Pokemon should be given a gender, it should be given both.

Last edited: